General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

steel seal. dident work!!

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2012, 06:44 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steel seal. dident work!!

hello all thought i wud try steel seal for what i think is my head gasket gone, did what it said to the letter and dident work!! ive got loads of pressure in the expansion tank and its leaking out, so i think that has to be the head gasket leaking and pressurizing the system, took it out today and the heater blew hot for a while then went cold, but after the run i noticed that the radiator was cold? thinking blocked radiator? wud this cause pressure in the expansion tank? so just want to be 100% its the head gasket ,, any help guys car is Citroen c5 2.2 hdi

Thanks
Andy
Old 14-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The system isnt air locked is it.I put a radiator on a subaru forester last weekend and it took about 2 to 3 hours to get the coolent system to bleed.The radiator was stone cold and the coolenr kept on pressursing and spitting the coolent out of the tank.
Old 14-12-2012, 07:42 PM
andi-p
Regular Contributor

I just read about these and some one mentioned plastic water pump impeller coming away from the shaft. Might be worth a try
Old 14-12-2012, 10:09 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by morto
hello all thought i wud try steel seal for what i think is my head gasket gone, did what it said to the letter and dident work!! ive got loads of pressure in the expansion tank and its leaking out, so i think that has to be the head gasket leaking and pressurizing the system, took it out today and the heater blew hot for a while then went cold, but after the run i noticed that the radiator was cold? thinking blocked radiator? wud this cause pressure in the expansion tank? so just want to be 100% its the head gasket ,, any help guys car is Citroen c5 2.2 hdi

Thanks
Andy
Would it work on a high compression derv motor?
A local garage could probably do a coloured water test from the header tank to prove it?
Otherwise a compression test, no doubt quite awkward on them.
Old 14-12-2012, 10:19 PM
m_nettleship
PassionFord Post Troll

Awesome stuff that steel seal
Old 14-12-2012, 10:37 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

have you checked if the water pump is pumping? remove the small bore return pipe from the header tank and while it is running check to see if a constant stream of water is coming out
Old 14-12-2012, 10:48 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above. Sounds like water pump failure.

Trending Topics

Old 21-01-2013, 12:45 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by botters
have you checked if the water pump is pumping? remove the small bore return pipe from the header tank and while it is running check to see if a constant stream of water is coming out
yes mate checked this and i do get a constant stream coming out , and i did get a full refund off steel seal but only cus i sent them a receipt for a full head-gasket set i bought for it

Andy
Old 21-01-2013, 12:56 PM
booner999
Advanced PassionFord User

Check to make sure the header tank cap is working right. Go buy a new one for a couple quid before going any further
Old 21-01-2013, 01:02 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by booner999
Check to make sure the header tank cap is working right. Go buy a new one for a couple quid before going any further
thanks mate iv tryed a cap off my mates and does the same thing and got one from the scrap yard and same thing,

Andy
Old 21-01-2013, 01:06 PM
morto
PassionFord Post Troll

the silly thing is it doesn't over heat and the engine still sounds and drives perfect, i still run it and keep it below 2000 rpm, masses of torque as its the 2.2 hdi de-cat and Dpf removed...

Andy