General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Jobsworth Traffic Cop

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Jobsworth Traffic Cop

Got a tug yesterday on my way to the DVLA office for my illegal front plate. Fair enough as it moody. I stated that I was on the way to the DVLA to put my new personal plate on and showed him the forms (V5, V750, MOT) and the new, very legal, plates.

Would you not think that common sense would dictate everything would be ok??? Nope, the fucker gave me a ticket and reported me for the plate
Old 22-11-2012, 04:16 PM
FlashRS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting near christmas, got to get some funds in for the plod christmas party !!!!!!!
Old 22-11-2012, 05:15 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

good, they have to be paid for somehow and people not sticking to the rules and therefore causing them work should be the ones to pay rather than just everyone who pays tax.

bit of a bummer him being such a jobsworth when you were about to change them, but he couldn't be sure that you were and has to apply the rules at the time of the offence. if you don't like the fine, don't do the crime.

was it one of those silly pressed metal ones meant to look german?
Old 22-11-2012, 05:41 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

He could have given you 7 days to rectify the problem. Does sounds like a jobsworth.
Old 22-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Why would I have all the stuff with me and the plates to put on the car to then not be putting them on??

If he'd stopped me prior to my plate purchase I would have sucked it up. It was like he was relishing behaving like a cunt! Telling me I should have gone to Halfords on my way to the DVLA office and got a plate until I swapped them 45 minutes later. There was no need for it. And yes it was a pressed plate not that I see the relevence, would it have made a difference if it was a plastic one with non standard font or a normal plate respaced.

Rules are rules, saddly they seem far more keen in enforcing the easy stuff rather than tackle things that might mean getting there hands dirty. I find I am rapidly losing the remaining respect I had for the police, and I have to work with them pretty frequently

Last edited by Oranoco; 22-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 22-11-2012, 06:02 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I have perfectly legal pressed metal ones if you're interested
Old 22-11-2012, 06:04 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

A lot of them are just ballbags, plain and simple.

They are totally incapable of catching criminals so they then have to resort to harassing motorists who cause no harm to anyone.

Whether this ineptness is natural or taught, I still havent figured that one out.
Old 22-11-2012, 06:26 PM
turbolee

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

drives me mad wi cops doing people for all and nothing all bent them selfs
Old 22-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

easy target sadly.

Why spend time catching the proper car criminals when it takes lots of effort, they are unlikely to stop, thus wasting police time and resources and increasing risk, and if caught will all deny driving it so it gets thrown out for lack of evidence and dropped to a minor "carried in a stolen car" charge so not worth the effort. And then if they can prove who was driving, the cunt wont have a licence anyway, probably already banned so no justice will be done there.

So they go for the easy route, minor traffic offences as they are easy to catch, usually pay up and the cases are all cleared up straight away so is good for statistics.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:21 PM
david 100

You should have put your foot down and got the police helicopter out and 6 police cars and when they caught you they would let you off with a warning, works on tv dont it.
Old 22-11-2012, 09:27 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
A lot of them are just ballbags, plain and simple.

They are totally incapable of catching criminals so they then have to resort to harassing motorists who cause no harm to anyone.

Whether this ineptness is natural or taught, I still havent figured that one out.

This^ reckon he's spot on.
Old 23-11-2012, 02:07 AM
TANGO_FSI
fiesta whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's a traffic officer, it's what they do..(and get paid for)

Had it been a normal bobby they wouldn't of even bothered to pull you!!

The nerve of my window cleaner, he cleaned all my windows yesterday when they didn't need doing, and don't get me started on the post man!!

I'll pretty certainly get slated for this but you see where I'm going here??

Last edited by TANGO_FSI; 23-11-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:33 AM
tay14
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My girlfriend got pulled in my l200 because she had black screw caps on a yellow back ground!!!!!!!! It's not even a personal reg and they came like that when I bought the pick up brand new,passed mots at Mitsubishi no problem but they tried saying so was trying to change the letters!!!! Gave her a Ł60 fine and told she had to take the car home and not drive it till the screws got changed. Was near Xmas though so needed to top the xmas party beer fund up!!!lol.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:06 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

jobsworth, plain and simple

but, going by the letter of the law, if they are wrong they are wrong

but at least he didn't give you a section 59 and get the tow truck out and make you walk home, so every cloud and all that
Old 23-11-2012, 09:44 AM
MattyDaniels
No longer a virgin!

Typical police, Never giving anyone a chance to get anything sorted.Anything to get money out of people!
Old 23-11-2012, 09:46 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

I often wonder how people like that can actually enjoy their job, or feel a sense of fulfillment in doing a good job.

Surely when doing things like that, they have to be thinking "I'm a total ballbag for ticketing and harassing this guy for absolutely no sensible reason, and by doing so I'm allowing dangerous motorists to go out and kill people instead...My job is so worthwhile !" ?

How can anything else be going through their heads ? Apart from fresh air
Old 23-11-2012, 10:09 AM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

The thing is you have just been banned and that may have popped up on the old anpr so he might have tugged you for some silly reason to you but once your on the system they will never leave you alone

I was banned for a very high speeding conviction and if I drive past a anpr they 100% of the time swing around and follow me for a bit
I'm all legal so nothing they can do

I think it's there way for telling us that we are watching u lol
Old 23-11-2012, 10:24 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by v man
The thing is you have just been banned and that may have popped up on the old anpr so he might have tugged you for some silly reason to you but once your on the system they will never leave you alone

I was banned for a very high speeding conviction and if I drive past a anpr they 100% of the time swing around and follow me for a bit
I'm all legal so nothing they can do

I think it's there way for telling us that we are watching u lol

ANPR only checks the car, not the driver, so cannot tell if a person has been banned and will not indicate anything of the sort.

And ANPR is supposed to be used to target criminals. Having a number plate that doesnt comply 100% to their silly rules does not make you a criminal.

In fact, with the law's current approach/attack on motorists, I dont have a clue what a criminal or crime actually is these days
Old 23-11-2012, 10:30 AM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one word wanker
Old 23-11-2012, 10:42 AM
D16PJM

Originally Posted by Zetec S Hayley
And that includes the law

I read in the paper this morning for 2nd time drink drive offenders now face a lifetime ban
at last a deterent to hopefully stop the chancers that can destroy families lives

I got fined last week too

This country unfortunately is full of fucking MORONS
we all take our chances with some mods on our cars and surely have to take it when we get stopped, frustrating yes but not the end of the world, if we do not like getting stopped we should all drive bog standard cars.

PS this is coming from someone that has very little time for the police infact i would go as far as i now can't stand them since my car was stolen and they did nothing so not an attack on you.

Last edited by D16PJM; 23-11-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 23-11-2012, 12:34 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm sorry but you fitted the plate knowing it was illegal and thus you stood a good chance of getting stopped for it, which you have been, and now your complaining?

Martin
Old 23-11-2012, 12:42 PM
thegfb
Skint V6 owner

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
I have perfectly legal pressed metal ones if you're interested
All vehicles registered after 1st September 2001 need to have plates that are physically made of 'retroreflective' material. No metal is 'retroreflective'. So I'm guessing your plates are on vehicles registered before that date then?

In any case, this cop made what I would call a bad decision - he was perfectly within the law but I can assure you that if he went back to the station and told 10 other cops what he'd just done (with all the attendant circumstances), at least 9 would think he was a prat and 1 or 2 of them would tell him (I'd be in the 1 or 2 )
Old 23-11-2012, 12:43 PM
dojj

reminds me of the jobsworth pretend policeman who said he wanted me to write down my details as i didn't have a number plate on my car when i was filling up in tescos a while back

i'd just had the bumper fitted and was on my way to get the special fittings to get the number plates screwed on and he was all huffing and puffing and shit

i polity told him to get fucked

if it had been a proper policeman and i had been pulled over i probably would have grovelled a bit knowing that i was going to get fined and then been thankful that i wasn't but my last run in with the law on motoring related matters was when the popo decided that i had jumped a red light after following me for about a mile after i hadn't let him out of a petrol station
he came across all big and tough and hard as nails but i stood there and said yes sir no sir three bags full sir when he was reading me his list of things that i shouldn't have been doing and all thing things he was considering prosecuting me for and once he's put me down enough he said fuck off and don't let me catch you again

i seriously do believe that these guys have nothing but a chip on their shoulder due to the fact that they've either been allowed to get away with it for so long or that they were bullied at school for being cunts, as a mate of mine once said to a policeman, "if you weren't wearing them boots you wouldn't be doing shit" when he was being threatened with arrest
Old 23-11-2012, 03:43 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

lol at this thread, the cop was only doing his job ffs, the plates were moody by the op's own admission, and he'd probably been running them for a while. couple that up with coming off a ban, why run dodgy plates its only giving the cops a reason to pull you over.

as for the excuse "i was just going to change them" i'm sure the cops hear that all the time, 9 times out of 10 it will be bullshit.

the fact is a lot of people break the law with things like speeding, illegal mods and so on. its a choice you make, no one forces you to do it, so dont get pissed when the police actually do their job.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by BigChuck
lol at this thread, the cop was only doing his job ffs, the plates were moody by the op's own admission, and he'd probably been running them for a while. couple that up with coming off a ban, why run dodgy plates its only giving the cops a reason to pull you over.

as for the excuse "i was just going to change them" i'm sure the cops hear that all the time, 9 times out of 10 it will be bullshit.

the fact is a lot of people break the law with things like speeding, illegal mods and so on. its a choice you make, no one forces you to do it, so dont get pissed when the police actually do their job.
Doing your job is fine, I do my job but I manage to do it without being a cunt with people.

I'm sure he may hear it often that "I was about to change them" but I presented him with all my documents filled out with the days date ready for the transfer and my new plates that were going on as well.

The police moan about where their public support is going and it's bell ends like this that are the reason the public is losing sympathy for them. I was chatting a to policeman at work today about it and even he said the traffic cop was a "total prick" for it.
Old 23-11-2012, 06:07 PM
BigChuck
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

how long have you been driving with them on?
Old 23-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by dojj
but at least he didn't give you a section 59 and get the tow truck out and make you walk home, so every cloud and all that
how can they give a section 59 for a dodgy number plate?? a dodgy plate isnt antisocial driving nor is it dangerous/careless driving or of that standard, and you have to meet both to be issued a section 59.
Originally Posted by stevieturbo
ANPR only checks the car, not the driver, so cannot tell if a person has been banned and will not indicate anything of the sort.
true but they can put up flags on the ANPR database against a car for reasons such as driver is banned, violent history, mental patient, drug use etc.
But it is in no way automatic and needs a legitimate reason to be done.
I read in the paper this morning for 2nd time drink drive offenders now face a lifetime ban
They will just carry on unlicensed just like car thieves, joy riders and scum do.
Originally Posted by Oranoco
The police moan about where their public support is going and it's bell ends like this that are the reason the public is losing sympathy for them. I was chatting a to policeman at work today about it and even he said the traffic cop was a "total prick" for it.
I agree. Especially as you had a reasonable explanation. I dont see how it was in the "needs of justice" or the "public interest" to give you a ticket in such a case.

If you were rich, it would be worth challenging it in court and inviting the press just to make a mockery of the police (albeit youd loose but the press reports would make them look jobsworth cunts which is the whole aim).
Old 23-11-2012, 07:22 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

And that includes the law

Which will not stop them doing it, so it's a complete and utter waste of time. Most motoring laws are not to prevent such things, nor are they to improve road safety. But a LOT of them are to rake in fine money.
Although drink driving laws as they stand are also a crock of shit, probably created by a room full of drunks !

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I'm sorry but you fitted the plate knowing it was illegal and thus you stood a good chance of getting stopped for it, which you have been, and now your complaining?

Martin
You should be sorry for such an attitude. If you think this sort of thing by a cop is acceptable, then you need your head examined. The police are supposed to be there to catch criminals. No matter what way they try and twist it for the simple minded, a non standard font plate is not a crime. Such a plate has never hurt anyone, nor killed anyone. So really, a cop going out of his way to issue a fine for it is nothing other than a ballbag, plain and simple. Especially when the OP has documents and proof stating he is getting it changed anyway.
If that's the most productive thing he can find to do in a day, then clearly there is no need for him to have that job and should be sacked immediately.

The UK is completely and utterly fucked up. They happily fine or even jail people for doing sweet FA wrong, then they create a haven were scumbag terrorists thrive with no fear of the law whatsoever. In fact, they probably give a lot of them free houses and spending money as well !
Probably because all the cops are wasting our hard earned taxes giving people tickets for nonsense things, instead of doing their job and catching and prosecuting real criminals !
Old 23-11-2012, 07:32 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
how can they give a section 59 for a dodgy number plate?? a dodgy plate isnt antisocial driving nor is it dangerous/careless driving or of that standard, and you have to meet both to be issued a section 59.
the copper gives you a section 59 there is nothing you can do to revoke it, they can say whatever they want as it is up to the issuing officers discretion
Old 23-11-2012, 07:37 PM
j6kyt

What happened to the benefit of the doubt. its not exactly a major crime, they should concentrate on mobile phone users and uninsured drivers ect. some of them are total idiots.
Old 23-11-2012, 07:44 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i got pulled on the way to work the other day in a car i had just bought and had not got round to putting on my traders policy yet. i sa the copper coming towards me and knew it was an anpr fitted car so thought here we go, what i was not expecting was for him to do a handbrake turn AT HIGH SPEED! with smoke pouring off the tyres and come roaring up behind me lights blazing! i thought fuck me have i bought a wanted murderers car or summat!
anyway he puts me in the back of the car blah blah says whats your policy number, i replies i dunno? i could see him grinning whilst on the phone to axa (my ins co) thinking got you here son you lying shite, so i said can give you the reg number of a car on my policy that will show im insured, so gives it him, watched it pop up on his little screen with car details and my name saying entitled to drive any vehicle and i see his face drop a little. so then he chirps up as if making smalltalk, so where were you going pal, i said im going work to which he replied aha! puts my insurance on loudspeaker and goes could you tell me if mr bottomley has social domestic pleasure and commuting on his insurance with a smug cuntish fucking look on his face! only to have it wiped off by them replying yes, mr bottomley holds one of our most comprehensive insurance packages that we sell not only does he have sdp and commuting but he can drive ANY vehicle of ANY price range ANY time he likes!
i couldnt help but start laughing in his face while he got out and opened the door for me he was so desperate to do me the jobsworth cunt, i had to stop myself from telling him to go and catch some real criminals lol
Old 23-11-2012, 07:51 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

I had an eventful day

Wife got clamped by cunts in a private underground shopping centre car park as she allegedly parked in a wheelchair zone, wife is adamant she wasnt in one and argued her case yesterday but is timid as fuk and had ten bags of shopping and the 2 boys (2 and 3 yrs old) with her and had to hand over the 80 quid

I contacted the owners of the security firm that clamped her yesterday and had a right barney with him and he was a total prick and hung up on me, went to visit the. At park and they had no photographic evidence to back it up so I rang him again, he agreed to download c tv footage and asked me to call there today and if the footage didn't show her in the space then he would refund the money

Today I went to see the footage and it showed nothing at all, he didn't even try searching and threw his hands in the air admitting he had no evidence
Asked for my refund and he rang his boss aka the cunt I had several words with yesterday

Long story short no refund and no money there on site to refund me

I told them they needed to go get the 80e as surely between them all they could find it
Was to to fuck off and if I didnt leave there and then they were revoking their offer of a refund, I asked when would I see the refund and the answer was when they feel like it

Sat in my car and blocked the entrance land and left the exit lane alone so people could leave just to cause annoyance and hopefully a annoy them into my refund.

Locked the car and said " well lads what's it to be"

Was told fuck off again

I went down town leaving the car there blocking the entrance

Cops rang me, went back to car park and explained everything and to be fair cop was ok

Spent the next 25 mins there until they agreed to refund my money into the cop shop tomorrow

Warned them if it's not there I'll be back again but with my recovery truck
Old 23-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

i presume youre in ireland? over here clamping on private land is illegal now.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

why you are all ranting so much I don't get
you were pulled over by a traffic cop who's job is to police traffic laws, you weren't pulled over by the CID or murder squad, you were pulled over by a traffic cop for a possible traffic offence
Old 23-11-2012, 08:07 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

i presume youre in ireland? over here clamping on private land is illegal now.
Yup, sooner it happens here the better, there is currently no regulation whatsoever over here for clamping
Old 23-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

which is why you need a battery powered grinder in your boot
Old 23-11-2012, 08:13 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

which is why you need a battery powered grinder in your boot
Isn't it more illegal to damage the clamp
Old 23-11-2012, 08:22 PM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What clamp lol
Old 23-11-2012, 08:24 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by D-Sport
Yup, sooner it happens here the better, there is currently no regulation whatsoever over here for clamping
Well if you don't get your money just get your self a clamp and go clamp him

And to add number plates have to be the way they are so the cameras and other equipment the police use can read them correctly.

If the fonts are not correct they won't read etc etc
And the non reflective shit thing bla bla bla

I'm no fan of the police by any means but if your gonna drive with stuff on the car that shouldn't be on it don't wave it in there face

And also the op is from Hertfordshire and everyone knows they are the worst for traffic police

Last edited by v man; 23-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:47 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Got a tug yesterday on my way to the DVLA office for my illegal front plate. Fair enough as it moody. I stated that I was on the way to the DVLA to put my new personal plate on and showed him the forms (V5, V750, MOT) and the new, very legal, plates.

Would you not think that common sense would dictate everything would be ok??? Nope, the fucker gave me a ticket and reported me for the plate
??????
i was pulled yesterday by the drug squad,4 grams of charlie,ffs i was on MY WAY TO DROP IT OFF FOR SOMEONE JOBSWORTH CUNTS!

and they sent me to court!!!

Quick Reply: Jobsworth Traffic Cop