General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Remapping a BMW MS45 ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 21-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Remapping a BMW MS45 ECU?

Does anyone know what software and hardware is needed to edit the fuel and spark tables in a BMW MS45 ECU?
Got a Z4 with an M45B30 engine that's going turbo and would be easier if I didn't have to change management!
I realise a BMW forum might be the better place to ask but with so many tuners on here (Pro's and home tuners) thought someone might know?!

Cheers!
Old 14-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Red_bull
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on the chip in your ECU you will need to open it up! Before with a colleague we did a one with a eprom reader and data read out with WinOLS
Old 15-03-2013, 09:07 AM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you need an OBD tool (I've heard good things about MPPS's) that supports your ECU, then a program to find the maps in the code (e.g WinOLS, TunerPro etc...).

It WILL be cheaper and faster for you to a standalone
Old 15-03-2013, 09:08 AM
SiZT

you need an OBD tool (I've heard good things about MPPS's) that supports your ECU, then a program to find the maps in the code (e.g WinOLS, TunerPro etc...).

It WILL be cheaper and faster for you to go to a standalone
Old 16-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Bart
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can use tunerpro and hope to find a defenition file. Then you have to tune it which is very difficult if you dont understand how those works. I would recommend going stand alone or spend a lot of hours trying to find out how it works.
Old 16-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by SiZT

It WILL be cheaper and faster for you to go to a standalone
Originally Posted by Bart
You can use tunerpro and hope to find a defenition file. Then you have to tune it which is very difficult if you dont understand how those works. I would recommend going stand alone or spend a lot of hours trying to find out how it works.
Thanks fella's, I realised what I needed in general but I was hoping for a more specific answer from someone that may have direct experience with these ECU's.

Going standalone is my prefered option TBH but on a car that has two ECU's (DME & EWS) with every system CAN BUS controlled is not as easy as you think, even simple things like the air con, electric memory seats, power steering even the radio are all controlled by the ECU so I have no idea what will work if the ECU doesnt see that the car is running? The PAS for example may not work as the ECU will not activate it until it see's the engine running, this could be a simple as a voltage trigger or it may be RPM triggered (CPS signal) who knows?!

If everything worked relatively easily then I would just MS3 it, but I don't want to be left with half my car systems down and the headache of figuring out how to fool the ECU into thinking it's all ok.

Although this may be the way I end up going... I can unplug things one at a time and see what still works in the car! lol
Old 26-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Red_bull

Pretty sure your question isn't also answered on a bmw forum. I would try these things. I only have an account on the first.

http://www.chiptuners.org/forums/index.php

http://www.ecuedit.com/

http://www.checksumm.com/
Old 26-03-2013, 10:36 PM
creator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think trying to get the car to start if putting it aftermarket/standalone will be the biggest hurdle mate due to how the secuirty/imobiliser systems work now a days.the cars i work on everyday (not bmws but im sure there the same) even something like the radio/sterio being wronge and it will not let you start the car. Im sure it has been done but never really looked into standalone systems on new cars.I think youd have to somehow use the same wiring so as your getting readings to the oem ecu?
Old 27-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Red_bull

Yea i have no experience, but why wouldn't you try to get into the chip. With help from these forums you will be able too. Once you have the maps your tuning can be done quite easy.

Yea you will need to figure out your complete system. It will be a difficult challenge!
Old 27-03-2013, 06:16 PM
SiZT

There'll be over 600 maps in that ECU alone, get an ECU that supports CAN and have it programmed (not mapped) properly
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Alun1976
Virgin

Originally Posted by Karlos G
Does anyone know what software and hardware is needed to edit the fuel and spark tables in a BMW MS45 ECU?
Got a Z4 with an M45B30 engine that's going turbo and would be easier if I didn't have to change management!
I realise a BMW forum might be the better place to ask but with so many tuners on here (Pro's and home tuners) thought someone might know?!

Cheers!
Hey Karlos, did you get to the bottom of this? I am in exactly the same position now myself with MS45 ECU and M54b30 engine. I am going forced induction but want to do all tuning myself no matter how long it takes me. I've never done anything like this before but am determined to do it myself. How exactly did ou end up going about this?

Thanks for your help

Alun
Old 08-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Couldn't find an easy/affordable option for tuning the stock MS45 so aftermarket management seemed the best route.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Alun1976
Virgin

Couldn't find an easy/affordable option for tuning the stock MS45 so aftermarket management seemed the best route.
What did you use? I haven't the faintest idea what piggyback to go for, or even if a piggyback is what I need. I've seen an AEM fuel injection controller but when I made enquiries with them they said that they don't have a wiring harness for the z4? What do i need to do?
Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

There isn't anything plug and play (that i've found anyway), you need to choose your management (I recommend a GEN8 from www.boostmonkeys.co.uk) and then figure out the wiring, basically you can run the GEN8 (or whatever you choose to use) in parallel with the MS45, this means everything like traction control, VANOS, FBW throttle, idle control, etc. all still works as normal but you can then map the fuelling and timing.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Alun1976
Virgin

There isn't anything plug and play (that i've found anyway), you need to choose your management (I recommend a GEN8 from www.boostmonkeys.co.uk) and then figure out the wiring, basically you can run the GEN8 (or whatever you choose to use) in parallel with the MS45, this means everything like traction control, VANOS, FBW throttle, idle control, etc. all still works as normal but you can then map the fuelling and timing.
Thanks man for giving me a starting point.