General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

battery drain on galaxy tdi ghia

Search this Thread

Old 16-08-2012, 04:01 PM
drive me crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery drain on galaxy tdi ghia

hello i"m wondering if anyone has a similar experiance on this vehicle battery discharges in about 4 days in summer 2 in winter, no alarm set ,
good new battery, nothing left, on bought one of these testers you put in fuse box but its only rated 10 amp cant check bigger fuses took it to autoelectrition day and a half wouldnt reveal itself to him, brought it home two days flat.so its intermittent as well ,the common fault with the galaxy is tailgate light switch mines not faulty .too many gagets on the ghia.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:09 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

you need an amp clamp or a multimeter set to amps in series with the battery and live terminal. Turn the meter on then pull each fuse in turn and when you see the reading drop considerably you know which circuit the drain is on.
Old 16-08-2012, 08:43 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what age?
Old 16-08-2012, 09:53 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RichieST
you need an amp clamp or a multimeter set to amps in series with the battery and live terminal. Turn the meter on then pull each fuse in turn and when you see the reading drop considerably you know which circuit the drain is on.
Spot on advice,tried and tested technique.
Should be a few milliamp's at most with all interior lights off etc.
Old 17-08-2012, 03:31 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had it on our Sharan, same thing.

The Alternator was over charging and killing the battery.

Steve
Old 17-08-2012, 08:07 AM
drive me crazy

Default battery drain

thanks for the replies the age 2001 the cars charging system is fine 14.6v,the autolec left his super duper meter that records fluctuations, across the battery for 28 hours he said obviously he has more than one meter, result only dropping 0.25 or .025 amp cant remmember, which is what the onboard computer consumes. he advised and showed me how to do the fuse test which he said is really time consuming because theres 50+fuses and many relays, on three levels of the fusebox which has to be stripped out of the dashboard to get at the second and third layers and that sounds a bit daunting to me.So its back to my trusty old battery chargers which are in third position for most used tools behind 13mm &10mm spanners and screwdrivers.
ps dont buy one of these in line fuse checking devices if you have a diesel because you have to swich ign on & off with every test that means you have to disconect the glow plugs because they drain the battery quicker than anything.
Old 17-08-2012, 09:20 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

That is way to complex and unneeded!

You need to do as said above, measure the draw at the battery first, with an amm/multi meter.

I can't see exactly what you are trying to achieve by checking fuses?

It seems a common problem with these, in fact a woman at work recently had the same trouble (Petrol powered though) I was going to have a look at it for her but then she changed the car instead, she did say though they had someone look at it and he said it was an ECU drain and it would be expensive to fix, I am sure it can't have been that serious!

Martin
Old 17-08-2012, 09:56 PM
drive me crazy

Default battery drain

As i in my thread autolec proper garage did the drain test 28 hrs .025 millamps drain for the ECU is the standard 74 amp battery should take months to drain i bought the tester because i thought i could sort it before i took it into the garage only cost £10 at maplins ,he couldnt find the fault its intermittent another thing somebody mentioned diconnect battery live side connect ammeter pull fuses i have to correct you on that ground side for shorts they short to ground ,relays live side pass current or voltage some where else.
Old 17-08-2012, 10:09 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It doesn't matter which side you do it from, as it will have to leave/return to the battery either way, although I would personally do the ground as it's easier.

Yes as I and "RichieST" said, if you disconnect the battery and put a ammeter in series you can measure the draw.

Anything more than a "parasitic drain" and then you know something is draining it that shouldn't be.

Once you have confirmed this, then you can remove the fuses one by one and check again to see if your figure has dropped, you can then isolate the problem to a particular circuit.

I seem to remember someone saying about a relay which causes drains with these?

Martin
Old 18-08-2012, 10:15 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tbh, i don't have no specific experience of the previous shape galaxy regarding battery drain. However, if it was mine i would be checking the 109 relay in the fusebox. & also check the battery fuse box as i've seen a few of these totally knackered due to water ingress. &

109 relay is the one that powers up the ecu and prone to problems, although i dont remember battery drain being one of them. Also are you sure 0.25a is ok? normally i'd be concerned with anything over 0.1A as typically you'd expect to see approx 0.05A after about an hour with a ampmeter in series.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:36 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No .25A is high.

Remember it's not just a case of connecting the meter and taking a reading, you need to wait until the ECU etc goes to sleep, as you have just reconnected the battery, so initially the figure will be a high.

Martin
Old 18-08-2012, 10:46 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by martysmartie
It doesn't matter which side you do it from, as it will have to leave/return to the battery either way, although I would personally do the ground as it's easier.

Yes as I and "RichieST" said, if you disconnect the battery and put a ammeter in series you can measure the draw.

Anything more than a "parasitic drain" and then you know something is draining it that shouldn't be.

Once you have confirmed this, then you can remove the fuses one by one and check again to see if your figure has dropped, you can then isolate the problem to a particular circuit.

Martin
Spot on,it's the only method that works.
Ammeter in series,fuses removed.
Also is there a towbar fitted?seen this a few times where unfused permanent lives start leaking a bit of current to earth possibly even back feeding slightly through the trailer socket.
Could be worth a look?
Old 18-08-2012, 08:27 PM
drive me crazy

Originally Posted by James
tbh, i don't have no specific experience of the previous shape galaxy regarding battery drain. However, if it was mine i would be checking the 109 relay in the fusebox. & also check the battery fuse box as i've seen a few of these totally knackered due to water ingress. &

109 relay is the one that powers up the ecu and prone to problems, although i dont remember battery drain being one of them. Also are you sure 0.25a is ok? normally i'd be concerned with anything over 0.1A as typically you'd expect to see approx 0.05A after about an hour with a ampmeter in series.
probably 0.025 autolec said its correct for that vehicle ,lots of electrical gagets on the ghia cheers.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:43 PM
drive me crazy

No .25A is high.

Remember it's not just a case of connecting the meter and taking a reading, you need to wait until the ECU etc goes to sleep, as you have just reconnected the battery, so initially the figure will be a high.

Martin
your absolutly right in both threads and .025 it was towbar is on ,but problem was there before ,you've mentioned relays now then i blew a rear lamp bulb n/s cover off to repair the wiring supprised me a bit there was a lot of scotchlocks that are probably to do with the towbar but there was what i asumeto be a relay in fact 3 they seemed to be part of the harness wiring but one of them sounded to be arking i tapped it and it stopped but i ve never seen relays like that before always had my suspitons about it but you cant disconnect them and wires in 4 ithink .
Old 18-08-2012, 08:49 PM
drive me crazy

Martin
the problem is getting to the second level of fuses ,dashboard strip i dont know if i'm up for that.