General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

air injectors or boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 18-08-2012, 06:55 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
this is why the world rally cars use two sets of solenoids.

im not against the actuators (be it cheap solenoids or over priced air injectors), i just heavily dislike boost controllers. just dont see there function over a properly calibrated ecu output
Their function is to give anyone easy access to stable boost control. That is not possible with ecu controlled setups.

Ecu controlled setups require a tuner who can access the ecu to set them up. They dont always offer the same level of control. They take more time to set up. Some do not allow the user any adjustment or different settings.

So each system does have good points and some not so good.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:04 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

so you think its a good idea to give people the abilty to alter turbo pressures, but not fuel or ignition? i personally think thats a negative!
Old 18-08-2012, 07:08 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by RS_matt
Dream on there's plenty of other people that have been down the roads I drive and yes the are farm road... I'm not against big power YB's I just don't need one for where I drive... You stick to straight lines mate.. Because I'd love to see you use all you power on proper roads..!... I drive my roads in a 400bhp focus and I was a lot quicker with less power...on duel carriage ways I bet yours is awesome mate and rods but where I drive...you just can't use it.
Then the roads you live on are not very every day for most people lol. As for using power on twisty roads there's a long twisty road from Basingstoke to Newbury I've been in rods car along there with him driving at over 160mph! So don't handle to bad at all in my opinion lol. But if you live some wear that bad then I see where your coming from but most don't
Old 18-08-2012, 07:18 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

so you think its a good idea to give people the abilty to alter turbo pressures, but not fuel or ignition? i personally think thats a negative!
You're making a huge assumption that everyone fitting a boost controller knows nothing, and will be changing the boost when the car is not tuned for it.

You know that is not correct. But yes it could be considered a negative in the wrong hands and I have already alluded to that.

But I also see a setup that is locked within an ecu and only accessible to a limited few for adjustment can also be a negative.
When you come across a car were boost ( and perhaps other settings ) have been badly mapped and you have no access to the ecu to fix it...you can see that is also a big negative.

Again, every setup will be different and either option might work better for different people.

But the bottom line is, air injectors do nothing a cheap solenoid cannot. If the ecu you're cannot drive a cheap solenoid then you have little choice but to use the air injectors.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:34 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right, and as you have said the best way of controlling wastagate actuator movement is by allowing the ecu itself to be doing it!

We could fit a dizzy and just set a static ignition advance of 12 degrees (just a random number in my head) and get 500 hp from a yb, or we could fit a true 3d mapped ignition system and still only have 500 hp, which one would you use? Engines are dynamic beasts so anything we can control should be controlled to gain the best possible outputs from facts gathered from it's inputs.
Old 18-08-2012, 07:46 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right, and as you have said the best way of controlling wastagate actuator movement is by allowing the ecu itself to be doing it!

We could fit a dizzy and just set a static ignition advance of 12 degrees (just a random number in my head) and get 500 hp from a yb, or we could fit a true 3d mapped ignition system and still only have 500 hp, which one would you use? Engines are dynamic beasts so anything we can control should be controlled to gain the best possible outputs from facts gathered from it's inputs.
But a Cossie air injector setup is not the best either ? it is a good option, but not the best. So where are you drawing the line ?
Any any boost control setup is already dynamic by the simple fact the control signal source is the boosted air itself.
There is no comparison whatsoever to a welded dizzy and fully mapped ignition ( only 3d ? )

And obviously an EBC does incorporate an ecu which is continually making adjustments to ensure boost target is achieved.

Can the Cossie ecu control boost based on w/g actuator position and turbo shaft speed ? as well as a plethora of other inputs ? and operated from a high pressure source blowing both open/closed for ultra fast and precise control of the actuator that would be the best option ?

If you're getting into the realms of what is best, air injectors controlled by the standard ecu are far from it.

But given 99% of people do not need best, and that very good will do. There are many options.

And I did ask the question as Ive never worked with the Ford/Weber ecu. Just exactly how many parameters does it actually base it's boost control on ?
Old 18-08-2012, 07:59 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Again you have made a mistake as I have never said air injectors are the best! I would much rather ecu controlled air injectors, than a separate boost controller. Which answers the topic.
The best option for boost control would be in my eyes a electronic linear actuator directly connected to the wastagate. No need for springs, wastagate actuators or manifold referenced pressure lines (or high pressure systems as you have talked about)

I'm not by my computer at the moment but I'll will look tomorrow to see what a cossie ecu can use to determine boost control outputs! I've never modified a cossie ecu so I can't remember
Old 18-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Rsmat
300+
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Then the roads you live on are not very every day for most people lol. As for using power on twisty roads there's a long twisty road from Basingstoke to Newbury I've been in rods car along there with him driving at over 160mph! So don't handle to bad at all in my opinion lol. But if you live some wear that bad then I see where your coming from but most don't

I agree mate... I base my theory on seeing rods car trying to lay the power down with mark driving it on airfield.... I'm not against the high powered cars because if I could fully use 500-800bhp then I would....the roads I drive are terrible... Not the best surface to start with then a lot of the bends are very very tight with crests... I'll make a video of I can next time mate and show you...Danneth has been a passenger in his own car down there with me... Hell tell you how hard the roads are to put mega power down...I'd love to have the bang of 500bhp but I'm honest in saying I can only just peddle 400 down them.
Old 18-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Again you have made a mistake as I have never said air injectors are the best! I would much rather ecu controlled air injectors, than a separate boost controller. Which answers the topic.
The best option for boost control would be in my eyes a electronic linear actuator directly connected to the wastagate. No need for springs, wastagate actuators or manifold referenced pressure lines (or high pressure systems as you have talked about)

I'm not by my computer at the moment but I'll will look tomorrow to see what a cossie ecu can use to determine boost control outputs! I've never modified a cossie ecu so I can't remember
Gareth if you beat your head against a wall enough it bleeds
Old 18-08-2012, 08:12 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Lol hay jay do you still have my timing light from 4 years ago lol
Old 18-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

yeh its in my snapon box why ?
Old 18-08-2012, 08:53 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I agree mate... I base my theory on seeing rods car trying to lay the power down with mark driving it on airfield.... I'm not against the high powered cars because if I could fully use 500-800bhp then I would....the roads I drive are terrible... Not the best surface to start with then a lot of the bends are very very tight with crests... I'll make a video of I can next time mate and show you...Danneth has been a passenger in his own car down there with me... Hell tell you how hard the roads are to put mega power down...I'd love to have the bang of 500bhp but I'm honest in saying I can only just peddle 400 down them.
Take it easy then will be a crime against RS's if you damage that 3dr of yours!
Old 18-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by ajamesc
Take it easy then will be a crime against RS's if you damage that 3dr of yours!

I know mate... I so want a caged 3dr...but I've got to get the mrs a ED 30 golf first.....
Old 18-08-2012, 09:23 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Jay,
yeh its in my snapon box why ?
Just remembered about it lol, you might aswell store it for me as I got no use at th moment lol
Old 18-08-2012, 09:28 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current crop of air to air injectors can be used as a 'bleed on' type with a jiggle of the pipes and ports and obviously invert the map.

The inputs that affect my boost control are as follows (although I don't have all these configured)...

Throttle
RPM
Battery voltage
Manifold pressure
Post restrictor pressure
Turbo speed
Wastegate position
Gear
Exhaust gas temperature

The ECU has a limp mode which is currently set so that if any fault occurs it applied limited operation to the engine generally. It won't generate boost or rev beyond 4k.
Old 18-08-2012, 09:30 PM
zxevhbonus
old school

i had a 2 stage electronic boost controller on one of my old saffs when the switch was up it ran 14 psi when swich was flick down it ran 28 psi it was great had if fitted for 8 years and never missed a beat
Old 18-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by DazC
The current crop of air to air injectors can be used as a 'bleed on' type with a jiggle of the pipes and ports and obviously invert the map.

The inputs that affect my boost control are as follows (although I don't have all these configured)...

Throttle
RPM
Battery voltage
Manifold pressure
Post restrictor pressure
Turbo speed
Wastegate position
Gear
Exhaust gas temperature

The ECU has a limp mode which is currently set so that if any fault occurs it applied limited operation to the engine generally. It won't generate boost or rev beyond 4k.

Daz will mine do or be the same I got from Msd ..?
Old 18-08-2012, 09:33 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Throttle
RPM
Battery voltage
Manifold pressure
Post restrictor pressure
Turbo speed
Wastegate position
Gear
Exhaust gas temperature

Pectel t6?
Old 18-08-2012, 09:33 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Throttle
RPM
Battery voltage
Manifold pressure
Post restrictor pressure
Turbo speed
Wastegate position
Gear
Exhaust gas temperature

You're not using a Cossie ecu though ! lol

And the ecu can apply a limp mode regardless of boost control system used. External EBC's arent the evil some might suggest.

The only real negative so far, is the fact the driver can easily make their own adjustments. Which some will see as a positive.

Same with ecu's though, there are good EBC's and bad ones. If using a bad one, may as well just stick with a bleed valve lol

Last edited by stevieturbo; 18-08-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 18-08-2012, 09:37 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Maybe not, but it pisses all over a boost controller. Lol
Old 18-08-2012, 09:58 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Daz will mine do or be the same I got from Msd ..?
I seriously doubt your 3 door will have as much control as that Matt. Mine is closed loop too with many other maps influencing the boost control. I just listed the inputs that the maps reference.

Pectel t6?
No. Life racing F88.

And the ecu can apply a limp mode regardless of boost control system used. External EBC's arent the evil some might suggest.

The only real negative so far, is the fact the driver can easily make their own adjustments. Which some will see as a positive.

Same with ecu's though, there are good EBC's and bad ones. If using a bad one, may as well just stick with a bleed valve lol
Definitely not a Weber ECU!

I should clarify. My preference is a solenoid valve of some description connected to an aftermarket ECU that can be set up an altered as required with some safety strategies involved.

My current set up involved air to air injectors and the Life Racing F88.

I should have said that the current crop of air to air injectors can be configured to bleed off, rather than bleed on as I said in my post. The MSD injectors can be piped so that the air passes through one of the aluminium manifolds and the air is bled off to the other to atmosphere.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Rsmat
300+

Ok Daz cheers mate.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Just remembered about it lol, you might aswell store it for me as I got no use at th moment lol
its got a english passport now and it wants to stay anyway
Old 18-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Rsmat
300+

Don't have to have a passport to stop here mate.
Old 18-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

the weber p8 has closed loop boost control as std
Old 19-08-2012, 08:11 AM
lmosleycosworth chevette
old school is good

Originally Posted by MadRod
Have not used Air injectors for 10 years, rather outdated.
I got an eboost. Controller not so much because I thought air injectors were out dated just limited to only controlling Max boost. My boost controller can do so much more. Noz boost per set point boost per gear etc. Just a question but which device do you use on your car.
Old 20-08-2012, 02:31 PM
lmosleycosworth chevette
old school is good

Certainly any Ive seen dont use air injectors. Unless maybe some very old stuff.

The lastest use high pressure air to control the opening and closing of the wastegate via solenoids. I guess a little like the AMS-1000 etc although they use a CO2 cylinder for the pressure source.

And I say Ford as I assume the initial query is about a Ford car using the Weber ecu etc
No mate its a cosworth yb using dta p8pro ecu and a turbo smart e boost 2