General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

offshore mechanical fitter jobs??

Search this Thread

Old 30-07-2012, 03:22 PM
320 bhp
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default offshore mechanical fitter jobs??

im looking at goin offshore to work but were is best place to look for offshore jobs? and were do i find out what survavial course ect i need to take, im already employed in the mining industry and earn very good money just fancy a change and fancy a bit more money,ive looked on net and struggle to find mechanical fitters jobs ,any help would be great
Old 30-07-2012, 03:31 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What Qualifications do you need for an offshore mech Fitter job?
Old 30-07-2012, 03:35 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough game to get into as it's often the chicken and the egg scenario,won't take you on without offshore experience but how do you get it if they won't take you on!
I'm trying myself right now mate and I've even moved up to Aberdeen to try and get my name out there,I've found for someone like me the chances of getting straight off are slim,zero without survivex (the course you need ) and slim without compex (which you may have being involved with mines anyway) so I'm off to work in an oil company onshore then try my luck that way,often they send you offshore to check the products etc so you get experience that way,do a few trips and that's you then.
Type in Aberdeen press and journal into t'internet and see what's out there,if your involved with hydraulics then you stand an excellent chance.
Oilcareers is another good site and try Carlton resourcing for a top notch agency in Aberdeen.
There's tons of info out there if you keep trawling but it's still very hard to get into,but worth it,there's fuck all else paying those wages and offering so much time off.
Old 30-07-2012, 03:38 PM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

as said above, there is also less offshore work now than there used to be so you are going up against people who have already been there and done it, plus side is if you do get in then its good money
Old 30-07-2012, 03:40 PM
320 bhp

cheers, im goin to pay and do my survival course when i get back off me hols in a couple of weeks, and hydrolics i work with them every day all our mining machines are hydrolic i will take a look thanks again,
Old 30-07-2012, 03:43 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Beware fitters are often called "engineers" up here so don't rule out those jobs either.
Qualification wise I've been told minimum time served apprenticeship,plenty of experience and usually compex/survival but some places may accept you without compex and train you on the job,although the problem being that there's a lot out there that do have it which puts them a step ahead of you etc.
The agency boy told me my level of knowledge and experience exceeded anyone he'd put offshore that month but because;
A) I wasn't living locally
B)had no survivex
C)no compex
D)no offshore experience

That a+b+c+d= no fucking chance!!
Old 30-07-2012, 03:46 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you work with hydraulics ffs spell it right on your cv!!!
I know what you meant by it but honestly if they saw that your cv's going straight in the bin,and that's not good.
FYI survivex is about Ł575&twat for all the courses you need,I'm doing mine hopefully on the 20th of August,place dependant.

Trending Topics

Old 30-07-2012, 04:04 PM
wattie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I worked for weatherford when I left the garage, did workshop work on diesel units and hydraulic power tongs then got the chance to go offshore, a lot of my friends did it that way but the few that did the survival then went for a job struggled to find work but perseverance should see you land a job, try oilcareers.com , upload a cv and can apply for jobs on there onshore and offshore, once I had enough experience through weatherford I started looking for a new job and with my qualifications and offshore experience I landed the first job I applied for, mechanical technician with slumberger on cementing units , fucking awesome job love it, going away to the will hunter tomorrow morning , supposed to be a shit hole but I love the whole experience of it all!
Old 30-07-2012, 04:04 PM
320 bhp

our lass will be doin me cv haha, i know a lad that is on for sea drill so when he next home im goin to pick his brains, ive looked on net there is a place close to me that does the courses but f@@k me there is loads to choose from
Old 30-07-2012, 04:05 PM
RigPig
Advanced PassionFord User

Hydraulic engineers are sought after, drilling rigs these days have mostly hydraulic systems, so most have two or more enginners on a shift.
Old 30-07-2012, 04:21 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wattie
I worked for weatherford when I left the garage, did workshop work on diesel units and hydraulic power tongs then got the chance to go offshore, a lot of my friends did it that way but the few that did the survival then went for a job struggled to find work but perseverance should see you land a job, try oilcareers.com , upload a cv and can apply for jobs on there onshore and offshore, once I had enough experience through weatherford I started looking for a new job and with my qualifications and offshore experience I landed the first job I applied for, mechanical technician with slumberger on cementing units , fucking awesome job love it, going away to the will hunter tomorrow morning , supposed to be a shit hole but I love the whole experience of it all!

Same sort of route I'll be taking but more electrical biased,hopefully in the control/3 phase/plc's/drives/fault finding etc but anything that comes up really.
Old 30-07-2012, 04:24 PM
RS331
Competition Technology

1. Working at height certificate
2. Medical from your GP
3. RYA short range radio, VHF, UHF Base and handheld radio certification
4. First aid certificate
5. Sea survival certificate
6. Certificates concerning your profession etc

you dont need to have experience all of the time, just the paper to prove you can do the job. but you will need most of the above if your going offshore.
Old 30-07-2012, 05:34 PM
wattie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughant
Same sort of route I'll be taking but more electrical biased,hopefully in the control/3 phase/plc's/drives/fault finding etc but anything that comes up really.
Rig sparks get good money, once I've done a few years with slum I want to go for a rig mechanics job, nice 2on 2 off rotation somewhere
Old 30-07-2012, 07:33 PM
320 bhp

thanks for ya help lads