General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworths FFS - SORTED!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM
William MK2 Cosworth
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean maybe the connection on the end has blacked up where the plug connects, and when you have them out the spark flies from a bit of clean metal...
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by William MK2 Cosworth
I mean maybe the connection on the end has blacked up where the plug connects, and when you have them out the spark flies from a bit of clean metal...
All checked and like new
Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
William MK2 Cosworth
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rats.........
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM
adduk
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a mile away but what coil are you running? As a mate changed to a group a coil but put the polarity the wrong way when he connected it up, ran fine on tick over and light throttle but any load it miss fired like mad. Just an idea.

Adam
Old 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Cosnada

Originally Posted by adduk
Might be a mile away but what coil are you running? As a mate changed to a group a coil but put the polarity the wrong way when he connected it up, ran fine on tick over and light throttle but any load it miss fired like mad. Just an idea.

Adam
It is a group A coil but has been fitted all along. Will go out in a bit - gonna have a play about and see if new plugs help etc.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Cosnada

Ok, so just went out and put another set of new Ford 071C's and it runs fine now. It is on the button and just as you would want and expect. I am well chuffed.

I do need to set the CO still as it is way out. The plugs I took out were balck and very sooty. I did do the ECU 'reset' by turning 5 times clockwise and 1.5 turns anti clockwise. Need to get a CO meter now.

What a mess lol - I want to set the CO then I can check the boost etc on the road.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:30 PM
mark r

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosnada
Gave exact spec - tbh, I can't see it being the chip. These guys do this for a living and are quite good at it now lol. I do believe I have missed something - will see if I can get out there tomoz.

Base idle would be mint if it would hold steady long enough to set - that said, it might be the ISCV dicking about..............
I know msd do this all day every day but just give them a quick call to make sure they sent you the right chip as i got sent the wrong chip and it cost me a 1200km (10 hr each way)round trip to the nearest tuner to find this out!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosnada
Ok, so just went out and put another set of new Ford 071C's and it runs fine now. It is on the button and just as you would want and expect. I am well chuffed.

I do need to set the CO still as it is way out. The plugs I took out were balck and very sooty. I did do the ECU 'reset' by turning 5 times clockwise and 1.5 turns anti clockwise. Need to get a CO meter now.

What a mess lol - I want to set the CO then I can check the boost etc on the road.
5 turns clockwise and exactly 2 anti clock wise is zero pot position
not 1.5
base idle should be set with the engine at normal temp no load and the iscv unplugged
make sure the tps is set correctly and that there are no inlet air leaks including all the vac pipes

Last edited by Turbosystems; 08-07-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Cosnada

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
5 turns clockwise and exactly 2 anti clock wise is zero pot position
not 1.5
base idle should be set with the engine at normal temp no load and the iscv unplugged
make sure the tps is set correctly and that there are no inlet air leaks including all the vac pipes
Thanks for that Tony

Base idle was set hot (fans kicked in) with ISCV unplugged - nothing but fuel pumps running. No leaks that I am aware of - it runs ok now but need to do CO.

Would I be better off doing the whole ECU 'reset' again just to be on the safe side? Does it matter where the pot is set prior to any turns carried out? Guess it wont hurt. I am currently running 1/2 a turn out and could be the issue. It is CL enabled and so I'm going to look for 1.5% once I get a meter on it.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing how often I've had similar faults with cars thinking "but the plugs are brand new" only to change them and the fault clear.
Last one was my Corsa 1.2 16v,I needed the car to get me from Swansea to Inverness and despite a recent engine change with all new bits and bobs it still had an occasional weird miss,tried various sensors etc,checked hoses and so on and out of desperation sent her out to get some plugs.whacked em in and she ran spot on for the next 15000 miles til I serviced it again.
Madness eh?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Glad you sorted it matey.At least it was a simple fix.Ive used NGK iridium plugs for years now.Im on my second set in over 6 years.