General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

inlet manifold take off alloy weld on adaptors

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2012, 06:38 AM
RsS2daz
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inlet manifold take off alloy weld on adaptors

Hi i need to add x 4 vacuum take offs to my inlet manifold on my rs turbo, im after the ones you weld on any one know where you can get them from, i can only find ones from demon tweeks but they are threaded and dont do them in alloy, my inlet manifold is not thick enough to tap a thread hence alloy welding the fittings in , think the vacuum pipe I.D is 5mm,

cheers daryl
Old 15-05-2012, 08:30 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 434 Likes on 392 Posts

im sure torques do them but are you sure demon tweeks dont! ive had weld on ones from them before in steel and im sure them asked me if im sure i wont steel ones for my fuel rail lol
Old 15-05-2012, 09:32 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RsS2daz
Hi i need to add x 4 vacuum take offs to my inlet manifold on my rs turbo, im after the ones you weld on any one know where you can get them from, i can only find ones from demon tweeks but they are threaded and dont do them in alloy, my inlet manifold is not thick enough to tap a thread hence alloy welding the fittings in , think the vacuum pipe I.D is 5mm,

cheers daryl
Is it some custom fabricated thin metal manifold ?

If it's cast, there will be plenty to tap into.

Pnueumatic push fittings are very handy for this and come in a variety of threads. The two most common are M5 and 1/8" BSPT

Drill, tap then use hard nylon tubing to push into it. Either 4mm or 6mm OD.

This type of thing. Readily available anywhere that does air tools, compressors etc and very cheap.

http://legris-pneumatics.com/vit.asp?SubCat=2

Best thing about them is they are so cheap and easy to use. Just push in and out. No clips required if you can use them at both ends, and very easy to take back out again. The nylon hose is cheap too and available in different colours if you're into that

or what some people do now is use a little manifold for their vac/boost items that only requires a single takeoff from the manifold.

This type of thing, although it's bloody expensive. Should not be used for anything that flows air though like boost control

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogu...d_product=5629

Last edited by stevieturbo; 15-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 15-05-2012, 10:05 AM
RsS2daz
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its in a cast rs 16i inlet the fittings are going in the back so its not thick enough to tap a thread into, I could make some Aluminum female 1/8npt threaded and get them welded in and use threaded fittings.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:29 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Can't say ive ever seen a casting so thin it couldnt be tapped into for this sort of application.

But all you need is a bit of aluminium round bar, cut it, weld it on and drill/tap if you really think you need more thread engagement.

or simply cut some bits of flat alloy, whether round, square, flat bar, whatever and have it welded in then drill/tap as required.

You certainly dont need to be buying any fancy fittings.
Old 15-05-2012, 12:09 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i would go with the above suggestions. my first thought was the alloy plate welded on and tap into that.
Old 15-05-2012, 04:24 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not use a vaccine distribution block. ? One vaccine to an ally housing mounted on the bulkhead which has all the other vacuumes tapped into it.

Common on hap cars.