General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:33 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?

Well, after seeing a few people have bought them, and talking about them with some friends yesterday, I was doing some flicking through and there does seem to be some bargains about. Might be looking for a new toy in the next few months, all being well, and I must say, they are a tempting proposition.

However, what really strikes me, is the sheer number of models available

I know there's a few Impreza owners on here, or ex-owners and fans, like Grant etc, so I'd be interested to learn a bit more!

It's a car I've always fancied, and they're certainly cheap enough these days, but I'd like to try and understand the range a bit more, especially some of the special edition classic models.

One particular model that I've always fancied is the RA, as I believe it's a lightweight homologation special? Am I right in thinking it has an alloy bonnet, short ratio box and roof vents?

How does it compare to a regular classic STI? There's also a few others; Terzo, Catalunya, Edition McRae etc, so I'd be interested to know what they're all about really.

I've also seen this one which looks quite tasty, even though I'm not a huge fan of the coupe, unless it's a 22B: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3099360.htm What's this one all about?

I did drive a blob eye WRX some years ago and was most impressed, so wouldn't rule out a newer car, but a special edition classic appeals, especially the RA, with it's short gearing and things.

Really, I'm just looking for some info from the Subaru geeks out there to learn what model is what, and what pitfalls there might be!

Thanks chaps

Also, what the funk does "closed deck block" mean?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd always go for a MY00-01 Type R... 3 door, & hold their value much better than most models. Crazy what you pay for a 400hp odd 2004 Impreza now though, they're so cheap.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinking about a sti wagon for the wifes next car

so so so so cheap it would be silly not to

and no ayc to think about unlike the evo
Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get one mate. Loved my classic even though it was a dog

What car number will this be? Lol
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
I'd always go for a MY00-01 Type R... 3 door, & hold their value much better than most models. Crazy what you pay for a 400hp odd 2004 Impreza now though, they're so cheap.
I think I'm a bit unusual in that I'm not a huge fan of the 2dr coupe. I love t he 22B, it's my favourite Impreza by a country mile, but the regular 2dr body doesn't really float my boat.

I like the looks of the 4dr version, and have seen some RAs without sideskirts that look really basic outside, with the roof vent and things, which looks really rally-esque, and I really like that.

Though the Type R in the link I posted does look decent

Originally Posted by v man
thinking about a sti wagon for the wifes next car

so so so so cheap it would be silly not to

and no ayc to think about unlike the evo
I do think their value is hard to ignore these days, if you can stomache the insurance of course.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:01 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RstAaron.
Get one mate. Loved my classic even though it was a dog

What car number will this be? Lol
I did love the blob eye I drove years ago, so would happily have one of those, or a bug eye, but a special classic would be tempting, and may hold it's value longer term, as I wouldn't really be buying one to modify.

It's not definite yet, will have to see how things pan out, but it's interesting to get some info on a quiet Sunday.

Oh, and I've lost count I think
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM
RstAaron.

Get a nice RA then, always liked them as well. As you say it's right up your street being as close as it is to a rally car.

About 300bhp in a lightweight shell is plenty to put a smile on your face. Only reason I got rid of mine is because of the crippling insurance at 20y/o. Oh and the fact I get bored as quickly as you do lol.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:14 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massivewangers
I think I'm a bit unusual in that I'm not a huge fan of the 2dr coupe. I love t he 22B, it's my favourite Impreza by a country mile, but the regular 2dr body doesn't really float my boat.

I like the looks of the 4dr version, and have seen some RAs without sideskirts that look really basic outside, with the roof vent and things, which looks really rally-esque, and I really like that.

Though the Type R in the link I posted does look decent

I do think their value is hard to ignore these days, if you can stomache the insurance of course.
my wife is 35 with maximum no claims (16 years) so she has super cheap insurance
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
daz1968

If you can stretch to it don't rule out the blob jdm twinscroll models especially the spec c, I have a jdm my05 twinscroll and it is superb, 340bhp from exhaust and remap and very well set up from the factory.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Get a nice RA then, always liked them as well. As you say it's right up your street being as close as it is to a rally car.

About 300bhp in a lightweight shell is plenty to put a smile on your face. Only reason I got rid of mine is because of the crippling insurance at 20y/o. Oh and the fact I get bored as quickly as you do lol.
Yeah the RA is the one that interests me the most. I like the pedigree of the classic Impreza, and they seem to echo the rally car a lot. A nice standard one would be fine really, especially on a limited mileage policy, which would hopefully keep costs down.

Incidentally, you're worse than me for sure. I've had one of my cars for over two years, and the other for over a year, which must be some kind of record

Came across these two on PH. The white one is modified, which I don't like, but I do love the looks of these slightly earlier ones with the more basic bumper, and the small spoiler.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3734872.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3641248.htm

The only standard feature I'm not hugely fond of is the wheels. I think the Catalunya and McRae had nicer wheels than the RA really!
Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 PM
rallycross
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If over Ł10k then Spec C is the ultimate for a quick road car/track car, or a Type 25 very good all rounder.

If lower budget any post 2001 STi with 6 speed is a good starting point (Ł5k upwards).

If you want a get an old classic RA Sti best to find a recent import as the rust is getting into the old ones.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 PM
RstAaron.

Current cars I've had 2.5 months and almost a year, I'm doing well!

If you get a nice white early RA I'll buy it off you when you get bored
Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
3drzetec
PassionFord Regular

legacy. i know its not an impreza, apart from a s/s exhaust and 4 pots its standard. in vgc 220 bhp and only Ł900. im a ford man at heart(got a sierra estate and an xr4i) but really glad i got it.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rallycross
If over Ł10k then Spec C is the ultimate for a quick road car/track car, or a Type 25 very good all rounder.

If lower budget any post 2001 STi with 6 speed is a good starting point (Ł5k upwards).

If you want a get an old classic RA Sti best to find a recent import as the rust is getting into the old ones.
I'd definitely be looking under Ł10k. Would most likely be an older RA. Though if I was spending a bit more, I'd consider an STI of some kind. I don't even mind the bug eye to be honest.

Current cars I've had 2.5 months and almost a year, I'm doing well!

If you get a nice white early RA I'll buy it off you when you get bored
Lordy, are you feeling alright?

I'd sooner have dark blue really. Not sonic blue that everyone gets horny over, but the dark flat blue, like the works cars.

Originally Posted by 3drzetec

legacy. i know its not an impreza, apart from a s/s exhaust and 4 pots its standard. in vgc 220 bhp and only Ł900. im a ford man at heart(got a sierra estate and an xr4i) but really glad i got it.
I love those! That was a steal at Ł900. Last one I saw for sale was on ebay, but it was starting at Ł900 with a screwed engine. Proper cool though the Legacy turbo, reminds me of watching Alister and Colin McRae on the tv in the early 90s when I was a kid!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:33 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Legacy's rule ! I certainly wouldnt pay Ł900 for one with no engine though. Maybe Ł1k-Ł1500 for a decent one that is running.
With a fucked engine, more like Ł3-400

But if you're considering the likes of an RA...I'd hope it isnt a daily driver. The short gearing makes them horrific for daily use. 5th gear is only around 20mph/1000rpm
Great around a track, but not so nice on the motorway etc.

As said in another thread, if you can stretch to a 2001 or newer 6 speed STI, they are the best purchase.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 08-04-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:16 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I do love the Legacy. Probably my earliest memory of rallying is the Legacy, so it's a car I've always been fond of. Rare now though!

Yeah I wouldn't have an RA as a daily, just as a weekend toy. If I was going to have one as a daily, I would definitely go post-2001, but for a toy, I'd rather have an older, more special one
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

If you wanted a classic, I'd only go for a version 4,5,6 type R.
Possibly have another late my00 uk.
Blobeye or a hawkeye.
Bigeyes are ugly.

I'd like to have a 2.5 litre powered one next.
And max the standard short block out at 400 bhp ish.
I spent a fourtune on the last type R running a ej22t 2.35.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:32 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't even really know what Type R means yet Any reason you'd only go for one of those?

I don't mind any of the post-2001 cars really, apart from the gay hatchback one of course...

I'm not looking to modify one to be honest. As I say, the RA appeals due to the short gearing and because it's a bit of a homologation special, so I like that about it.

However, I don't really know much about other models, so it's hard to understand it all!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One particular model that I've always fancied is the RA, as I believe it's a lightweight homologation special? Am I right in thinking it has an alloy bonnet, short ratio box and roof vents?
There is a huge amount of information about these cars on this forum: http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/

How does it compare to a regular classic STI?
It'll easily beat a standard Classic STi up to c100mph with the close ratio box and absolutely mock a standard (pre-98) WRX or 93-00 UK Turbo.

There's also a few others; Terzo, Catalunya, Edition McRae etc, so I'd be interested to know what they're all about really.
The special edition UK models tend to be limited to special colour, trim and exterior packages... the actual mechanicals are the same as an equivalent regular UK Turbo of the same model year. They do hold their value slightly better than a regular UK Turbo however, they're still available for peanuts, so we're only talking a few hundred quid really.

I've also seen this one which looks quite tasty, even though I'm not a huge fan of the coupe, unless it's a 22B: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3099360.htm What's this one all about?
Looks quite good, if a little pricey.. I liked the look of a lot of their stock, however, I'm fairly sure it was someone on here that said the company aren't known for supplying tidy cars in the local area, which considering it'd be a LONG trip for me to look at their stock, put me right off.

I did drive a blob eye WRX some years ago and was most impressed, so wouldn't rule out a newer car
If I was buying another Impreza, I'd search for a mint 99/00 UK Turbo, but the chance of finding one I'd be happy with would be slim.. therefore, the only other car I'd consider would be a 2001-onwards STi since they come with the semi closed deck block, 6 speed gearbox/diffs, Brembos and are generally a bit more solid and better built.

One of my best friends just bought another Impreza, here it is:

2003 STI Type UK
Silver
PPP
30k miles
Full Subaru Service History
All invoices/every single receipt from the day it was first sold, every MOT and Tax disc.
Blitz NUR Spec-R
18" Ultralite G-Grids & Yoko Parada 2

I collected it for him and drove it home on Friday. He paid just slightly more than the Type R in the link above... while it might not be quite as quick 0-100; it'll be a far better base for some mods and should be more reliable too.

Also, what the funk does "closed deck block" mean?
As far as I understand, it refers to the strengthening around the cylinders... stock:

Closed deck...

Cheers,
Grant
Old 08-04-2012, 07:48 PM
p.cressie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had one and been into them a few years now, and understand where you are coming from there are just so many different versions. At first I never liked the bugeye but they've really grown on me of late, esspecially after watching the lad off here's thread (think he's user names Fraze or something?) If it wasn't for starting a loft conversion I'd be off to look at this
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3782168.htm
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

The above image is an insert, not an actual closed deck. But that's what they're trying to achieve, similar strength.
Certainly on the 2.0's unless pushing a good bit over 400bhp, the normal open deck block is more than adequate.
Even on the 2.5 it is fine. Although some 2.5's are hit and miss. Whether that's tuning related or not hard to say.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for all that info Grant, I thought you'd be able to fill me in on a lot of the details!

Was the RA the only model to be fitted with the short ratio box? I've never actually seen any performance figures or anything for the RA, or a definitive spec list, so it's good to try and get some info. From what I can see, some of them have roof vents, some don't, some have skirts, some don't, it's all a bit confusing

I've seen some with a driver controlled centre diff, which I think some Type Rs had too? That sounds like something troublesome potentially anyway.

Any idea what sort of cost you'd be looking at for a nice RA?

How about for a bug eye STI? Are Blob eyes much more?

There seems to be so much variation in price, that it makes it hard to judge on costs for decent cars.

I think, based on the little I've learnt so far, it would be between finding a nice RA and having it solely as a weekend toy, or having a newer STI that would be used more.

Originally Posted by p.cressie
I've had one and been into them a few years now, and understand where you are coming from there are just so many different versions. At first I never liked the bugeye but they've really grown on me of late, esspecially after watching the lad off here's thread (think he's user names Fraze or something?) If it wasn't for starting a loft conversion I'd be off to look at this
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3782168.htm
I must say, Frayz car is a stunner, and I like the one in your link too. I think that's a nice car, 100% standard and in a good colour. That sort of thing would do me fine. I think the bug eye looks fine in STI trim like that!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The above image is an insert, not an actual closed deck. But that's what they're trying to achieve, similar strength.
Certainly on the 2.0's unless pushing a good bit over 400bhp, the normal open deck block is more than adequate.
Even on the 2.5 it is fine. Although some 2.5's are hit and miss. Whether that's tuning related or not hard to say.
I don't think that would be much of an issue for me to be honest. It's unlikely that I'd be tuning particularly, if at all. I don't really see the point in big horsepower in these sorts of cars, just mega response, and blasting down back lanes. I suppose that's what makes the RA appealing with the short gearing. I don't care about monster top speeds and things, just something that is quick down the lanes!

I have heard rumours about transmissions weakness in some cars. Is this apparent in any particular models?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
daz1968

Think all transmissions are fine up to 350hp, but 5 speed a bit hit and miss beyond this dependant upon torque and usage, later 6 speeds are not a problem and many fit these in classics if going above this. Think later 5 speeds are stronger from newage cars, but if you looking at an ra then think that is one of the stronger classic 5 speed boxes. But if not going mad on power don't think you will have a problem.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
p.cressie

When I was looking to buy an Impreza I asked about the different models on Scoobynet, one lad posted this link hope it helps

http://drischnie.homeip.net/www.suba...rserienENG.htm

Just shows how many different models there are

Last edited by p.cressie; 08-04-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Mike C
The Special One

V2 RA would suit you if you're looking for a hardcore driving machine on a budget. In terms of performance per pound it's pretty much impossible to beat. It's got to be one of the quickest cars anywhere point to point.

If you want a bit more refinement, a bug eye STi is hard to beat for the money again or even a blob eye.

I have a V1 STi from the original run (it's number 35) and was one of the early hand built (well, hand-modified from a standard WRX) which is very low geared and very sharp. They quoted 0-62 of 4.6secs with "only" 250bhp standard, yet still has air con etc. mine now runs 320bhp and is a lovely road spec.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I don't think that would be much of an issue for me to be honest. It's unlikely that I'd be tuning particularly, if at all. I don't really see the point in big horsepower in these sorts of cars, just mega response, and blasting down back lanes. I suppose that's what makes the RA appealing with the short gearing. I don't care about monster top speeds and things, just something that is quick down the lanes!

I have heard rumours about transmissions weakness in some cars. Is this apparent in any particular models?
The 6 speed is one of the strongest gearboxes going. To get a Cossie gearbox of comparable strength you'd be paying probably Ł15k, so a new age 6 speed STi is a crazy bargain.

I would stick to around 320bhp with a Type RA box. You wouldn't need any more power than that in that package. That would be seriously quick.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

All 5 speed boxes are weak. Obviously with much shorter gearing there will be less loading on the box, so it will survive better.
But on a standard car, even up to say 300bhp it would take a very abusive driver to break the box.

The later 6 speed STI's gearbox is very strong though. Car is a lot heavier if you wanted to track it which would be a big downside. Although it has much better brakes.. But it will make the best all round road car.

Regardless of model, finding a good example will be the hardest bit. Just so many out there and so many that havent been looked after properly.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What sort of spec is the V1 STI Mike? Do you have any pictures? Would be interesting to see.

I'm just trying to identify some of the differences between models really, get my head around them all a bit more, as there seems to be so many.

The ones I've seen that I like the most are around 1995, have the early type grill, no sideskirts and things either.

As I say, I don't think I'd really look to modify it at all to be honest. I just want something nice and original that I can enjoy in standard form. Just a shame that so many get modified with massive exhausts and nasty wheels!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 PM
smudgerz

I've just bought a classic sti, payed Ł3k for it. It's mint, done 66k miles, was imported in 2008, one owner since then. It's my everyday car, the only problem with it is it guzzles fuel! I like it better than my uk classic I had a few years back.
For the money, there a quick ish car and there are loads to pick from so take your time and pick a good one!
One other thing, ive been stopped by the old bill twice since I've had it...they looked a bit shocked when an old bloke gets out instead of a boy racer!!
If your around Corby, your more than welcome to have a quick blast in mine

Smudge
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah I think finding a nice one could be the hard part. Lots of modified cars out there with dump valves, dustbin tailpipes and things, but I don't want that. I want something original and simple.

Thanks for the offer Smudge, very kind of you mate
Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a stock closed deck block (sat in my garage)

This is a semi closed deck (now sat in my car)

Closed deck stops the bores from moving and it's a problem with big boost and that's why you can buy the insert that Grant posted.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Mike C
The Special One

What sort of spec is the V1 STI Mike? Do you have any pictures? Would be interesting to see.

I'm just trying to identify some of the differences between models really, get my head around them all a bit more, as there seems to be so many.

The ones I've seen that I like the most are around 1995, have the early type grill, no sideskirts and things either.

As I say, I don't think I'd really look to modify it at all to be honest. I just want something nice and original that I can enjoy in standard form. Just a shame that so many get modified with massive exhausts and nasty wheels!
This is a standard V1 STi

The chances of seeing one standard and original anywhere are very slim. Mine is the closest I've seen. Mine has the Speedline wheels like in the photo, but a one-piece version that have been refinished in black. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't upload a pic, but will later.

The V1 is the only Impreza with that spoiler. The next few STi's had the same shape spoiler, but half the height, then when they went back to seriously big spoilers they were more square.

From the V2 onwards the STi was built from scratch as an STi on the production line, the V1 was a WRX sent off the the STi facility and modified from that.

The engine was blueprinted, closed deck block, forged pistons, steel crank, increased valve size, uprated intercooler and radiator, different ECU and uprated turbo. Also got a Fujitsubo exhaust, which is actually pretty quiet by Impreza standards, but really lovely low throb. Also uprated manifold. Gearbox is close ratio with 4.444:1 final drive, uprated internals and uprated diffs and drive shafts. Suspension was lowered and uprated completely, aluminium wishbones, strut brace, 4 pot front brakes and other bits and pieces.

Also the only STi to have front fog lights rather than covers.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Oh and different seats and Intercooler spray.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM
p.cressie

Any more pics Mike or pics of yours. My mate at work has a K reg STI with that spoiler on. As it came with no history from a breakers we always wondered what version it is
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very interesting to know, thanks for that Mike.

I like the lower level version of that spoiler, I think that's the one I'd like really. Or the small spoiler. I love the early grill, bumper and bonnet vents though, they really make the car in a way.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Mike C
The Special One

If it's a K-Reg it can't be an STi, must just have STi bits on it. The Version 1's were all built during 1994. The earliest possible would be L-Reg, although due to them all being grey imports and all special order cars in Japan, I'm fairly sure the earliest will all be M-Regs. Mine has a July 1994 build plaque and yet is an N-reg.

If it has that spoiler it will have come off a V1. Best result would be if it was an STi that has been reshelled into an earlier car.

I've got photos, but can't upload any at the minute. Will do it Tuesday if I haven't before.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Very interesting to know, thanks for that Mike.

I like the lower level version of that spoiler, I think that's the one I'd like really. Or the small spoiler. I love the early grill, bumper and bonnet vents though, they really make the car in a way.
The V2 RA has the pre facelift grille and the lower version of the curved spoiler.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a weekend toy it'd be hard to beat an RA. The bonnet is aluminium, and there were various other weight saving bits. On the classics pretty much all the front end is changeable, a lot of people like to make their car look newer so don't go by the grille, bumper etc. And I'm pretty certain you can fit the classic wings and bonnet etc on the bug eye.

On the blob eye to hawk eye cross over there was an inbetween model which had the wider track of the hawk eye but the blob eye front end.

The gear ratio for fun and track days etc is the 4:1. There are semi open and plated diffs to watch out for too. Rear diffs are pretty solid unless you are pushing it hard. DCCD is the type of box with adjustable bias. Contrary to what a lot of people think you can't just turn it all the way up and have full time RWD, it still retains something like 10% power to the front. It is clever though, it is connected to the hand brake switch so when you lift the hand brake it disengages the locking of the centre diff so you don't loose drive to the front wheels when hanging it out on a hairpin. Actually now I think about it, that might just have been the rally car that had that.

The engine blocks are made in 2 halves and are stamped according to how close the tolerences are, they are graded and then matched up as close as possible. On the top of the block where the 2 halves meet you should see 4 letters, 2 on each half. AA-AA is the best, AB-BB or BA-AB or BB-BC etc is most common. This is why some engines are better than others of the same spec.

You can drop a 2.5 into the classics and you can even crowbar a EG33 in with 2 turbos, but you said you weren't looking to modify so......

Anyway, hope there's been some useful info there and happy hunting!

Last edited by Dan_RS500; 08-04-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM
daz1968

Yes the dccd does allow the diff to run open when the handbrake is applied, well it does on newage cars not sure about classics as never had one, it can also cause the diffs to be a bit clunky at low speed.

Quick Reply: Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?