General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Dan_RS500
Regular Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by daz1968
Yes the dccd does allow the diff to run open when the handbrake is applied, well it does on newage cars not sure about classics as never had one, it can also cause the diffs to be a bit clunky at low speed.
Aye, well it was classics we were mostly dealing with so they must have it too then. You can adjust the diff with the box on the car though so it's not too bad.

Oh there's another thing if you were looking to do a little bit of tuning, the inlet manifolds changed some where around V2/V3 and this can be an issue in upgrading fuel injectors as the fuel rails are different and the height of the manifold is different which causes issues with some of the top mount intercoolers.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i miss my sti type r, would deffo have another one... great cars had so much fun in it and still used it everyday
Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
SteRB5138
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good site on the SIDC site for the Impreza history.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...Specifications

Or this book is a good read for Impreza freaks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-You-Your-Subaru-Impreza-Turbo-Buying-Modiifying-/180858607866?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2a1c0358fa

I would love a 2 door Classic one day, I still miss my old RB5.
I think the values will start going up soon, so many are broken these days and will be sought after in a few years.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Only couple of pics I have on my laptop at the minute. Car is currently having the rust cut of the rear and new complete rear quarters fitted. Import = no rustproofing and usually get bodged up repairs with filler rather than cutting the rust out and doing it properly.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 AM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts

Type R's are a 2 door. Alley bonnet, roof and bootlid.
Much more desirable, the adjustable diff is fun. Think it splits 70% to the rear, 30% to the front.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 AM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Just stumbled on this thread so i thought id add my input

When i went Impreza shopping i found myself in a similler situation as your self in that there was so many to choose from.
To start with i was looking to spend 2k which i thought was ok but the more i looked about the more i discoved how many different models there was around.
As time went on it made more sence to get an sti over a wrx due to many reasons like stronger engines, Brembros, 6 spd etc then i had to decide on Classic or Newage.
The more i looked plus take into consideration on the useage it seamed more practical for me to go Newage so the narrowing started
Had to be a Newage
Had to be an STi
Then had to decide on Bug,Blob or Hawkeye
At this point money makes your mind up
so, in my case i had 5k to spend so a Blob eye it would be so the hunt started and the more i looked at, it was the Prodrive that apealed to me because of its different body kit and light weight panels etc so thats what i went looking for and ended up getting.
Here's a couple of pics taken last week when me and the mrs both cleaned our cars before the hosepipe ban came in to force

02 STI Prodrive
Full History & Receipts
Decated
18's
Lowered
Filter,Exhaust and Remapped to 340bhp

Nice usable power

Regards
Ian

Last edited by yellowsierra; 09-04-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:39 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Prodrive bugs are a bargain imo
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it was my money id have to run an early GC8 RA, none of the fancy adjustable centre diff just 4.4:1 diffs, lightweight (although you will want to underseal any RA as they were just painted underneath)

i used to look after loads of imprezas and built a few big power GC8`s with antilag and 2.5 conversions and we had a 100% standard (bar exhaust/de-cat) and it was the most fun impreza i have ever driven, even more smiles than a 538 ALS caged 6sp GC8

bit of info..............

Version I (10/92 – 08/94) - GC8A/B

**********The first STi was known simply as WRX STi (there was no "version" moniker added to the name until the version II). 100 Imprezas per month were produced starting from February 1994. In March, production was stabilized to 100 STis a month. It had 250 PS (184 kW; 247 bhp) at 6500 rpm and 31.5 kgf·m (309 N·m, 228 ft·lbs) at 3500 rpm and weighed 1230 kg (2,710 lb). Before the STi, the highest trimline of the Impreza was the WRX and the WRX RA, first manufactured in November 1992. This version of the STi was the only version where the standard cars were taken at the end of the assembly line and replaced by STi parts. After this version, the standard STi was built alongside the WRX on the production lines.

The WRX STi Type RA (marketing has made usage of the RA acronym in various ways; Record Attempt[1] is the current usage. "R = Racing, A = Group A, FIA the racing class the WRC Impreza competes in" has also been confirmed by Subaru of Japan; the correspondence can be seen on the discussion board for this article) strippo version produced 275 PS (202 kW; 271 bhp) and 32.5 kgf·m (319 N·m, 235 ft·lbs) of torque. This version of the WRX STi was a stripped out car that had no sound-deadening, radio or air-conditioning. It came sparsely equipped as it was to be sold to racing teams that would throw out the cheap parts for racing parts. This version of the WRX came with a Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD). This device was an electromechanical differential that could lock the differential. The DCCD would be beneficial to people who used it in various rally conditions.**********
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks for digging those up Mike. Nice looking car. I'm not totally sold on that rear spoiler, but it is part of that car I suppose, so would be wrong to mess with it. You must have some car collection though, as it almost seems that when anyone mentions a certain type of car, you have one!

Cheers Chris. As I said, I'm not too into the two door body unless it's a 22B, and there's no chance of me having one of those any time soon

Ian, that's a really nice looking car. I don't really understand how anyone can slate the bug eye when you look at that, think that's a nice looker, lots of aggression going on there. What sort of money do the Prodrive's go for? If I was to go new age, a bug/blob STI in blue would certainly tempt me. That or black.

Cheers for that info Sean. It does sound like you like the RA for the same reasons as it appeals to me; simple, no nonsense and lots of fun
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Ian, that's a really nice looking car. I don't really understand how anyone can slate the bug eye when you look at that, think that's a nice looker, lots of aggression going on there. What sort of money do the Prodrive's go for? If I was to go new age, a bug/blob STI in blue would certainly tempt me. That or black.

Its exactly why i went for the Prodrive as it just looks so much better over the stock STi
Different lights,Bumpers,Grill,Skirts on the styling and if it has the ppp then you are looking at 305 bhp out of the box. Also there is Suspension upgrades as well. Mine has the Lowereing springs which gives it a better stance on the 18's
Prodrives go for roughly 1k over a std STi which is not bad when you think what you get for your money.
Mica Black is rare but for me it had to be wr blue
£ for £ i think you will strugle to find anything that comes close for what they go for and what you get

Ian
Old 09-04-2012, 12:48 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah just had a little look on ebay and found a couple. Though it is difficult when everyone puts STI and PPP on virtually every ad! They definitely look nice though, and not a bad price at all. Bet it goes well too!

If I decide to go new age, I'll definitely give one of those a look, much prefer the front bumper to the regular STI one!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry i've olny just seen this....

Well my take is!!

I've been lucky enough to own a 22B....P1...RB5...Hawkeye Spec-C and a Version 3 TYPE-R Fully forged and i have to say the best of the Bunch was the Spec-C by a mile, the out of the box handling on these cars is in another league and the plus is they have the stronger box too.

However, my V3 Type-R was a very close 2nd tO the Spec- C, now bear in mind i bought that with all the work already done, AP 6 Pots, bigger Turbo, Injectors, Motec etc etc and although only 360bhp and similar torque MAN did it fly... the close gearing made it simply manic and pretty much untoucable to 130mph.

If i were looking now for one i'd opt for the Spec-C , but i'm unsure on your funds, if the Spec-C Is out of your reach then pound for pound and fun factor then it'd be a Type-R or an RA Classic, BUT remember, there's ALOT of dogs outhere SO choose wisely, hope this helps??

PS, infact i'd probably buy an Evo 6 RS tbh....

Last edited by Staffi; 09-04-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Kirstiestar
PassionFord Regular

What you doing with your CDB Paulo? Also can you recomend me a clutch for mine as its on its way out. Gonna put another 5 speed clutch in it as apparently you can fit them onto a 5 & 6 speed box, but not the other way round? Need one good for 400bhp
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get some pics up Pete
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by p.cressie
Get some pics up Pete
Oh dear god NO !!!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p.cressie
Get some pics up Pete
dont tell him that ffs

he is a slr whore lol
Old 09-04-2012, 02:01 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Staffi_
Sorry i've olny just seen this....

Well my take is!!

I've been lucky enough to own a 22B....P1...RB5...Hawkeye Spec-C and a Version 3 TYPE-R Fully forged and i have to say the best of the Bunch was the Spec-C by a mile, the out of the box handling on these cars is in another league and the plus is they have the stronger box too.

However, my V3 Type-R was a very close 2nd tO the Spec- C, now bear in mind i bought that with all the work already done, AP 6 Pots, bigger Turbo, Injectors, Motec etc etc and although only 360bhp and similar torque MAN did it fly... the close gearing made it simply manic and pretty much untoucable to 130mph.

If i were looking now for one i'd opt for the Spec-C , but i'm unsure on your funds, if the Spec-C Is out of your reach then pound for pound and fun factor then it'd be a Type-R or an RA Classic, BUT remember, there's ALOT of dogs outhere SO choose wisely, hope this helps??

PS, infact i'd probably buy an Evo 6 RS tbh....
I was waiting for your input Pete, I thought you'd owned a few different ones, so nice to get some feedback.

I guess if I go for it, the maximum budget would be around £5k. Obviously at that, I'd have my choice of early RAs by the looks of it, and be about on for new age STIs too. I think finding a nice classic would be the biggest challenge, but the RA still appeals most so far. I take it the Type R has the short ratio box in it too? I'm still just not that into the 2 door sadly though.

I did consider an Evo of some sort but, although they're technically brilliant, they don't have quite the same appeal in a way. I had a quick flick through, but the RS seems really rare, and they all seem to be modified with quite big power, which just isn't what I'm after at all. I'm after a nice standard car really.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

RA's are brilliant A to B back road cars,thirsty as fuck though.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I'd have an RA again - awesome fun

Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

I was waiting for your input Pete, I thought you'd owned a few different ones, so nice to get some feedback.

I guess if I go for it, the maximum budget would be around £5k. Obviously at that, I'd have my choice of early RAs by the looks of it, and be about on for new age STIs too. I think finding a nice classic would be the biggest challenge, but the RA still appeals most so far. I take it the Type R has the short ratio box in it too? I'm still just not that into the 2 door sadly though.

I did consider an Evo of some sort but, although they're technically brilliant, they don't have quite the same appeal in a way. I had a quick flick through, but the RS seems really rare, and they all seem to be modified with quite big power, which just isn't what I'm after at all. I'm after a nice standard car really.
Well it'd have to be the RA then for sure, manic acceleration, the 4door which you like and in your pric braket.

What you need to do is check it's been mapped for UK fuel too, they do have failures i'm affraid,DET etc, remember the Jap Ron is 102 iirc..

Then just your usual stuff, check for clutches, cambelt, rust, BRAKES (STANDARD) that is are shockingly bad.

But saying that, they're a stunning car and great fun...
Old 09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's the sort of thing I really love Alex. Not 100% on the wheels, but think the basic look with no skirts and the like looks really good.

Found these few random images below too:

This is the colour I'd have ideally I think:

Obviously nothing to do with the similarity between those and this of course

Out of interest, I've seen a WRX Type RA, and a WRX STI Type RA. What's the deal there?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

I've just been looking on PH and came across this, god i miss mine when i see them..........

Best Looking Subura without doubt, mine had only done 12k too real tears..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3734456.htm
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well it'd have to be the RA then for sure, manic acceleration, the 4door which you like and in your pric braket.

What you need to do is check it's been mapped for UK fuel too, they do have failures i'm affraid,DET etc, remember the Jap Ron is 102 iirc..

Then just your usual stuff, check for clutches, cambelt, rust, BRAKES (STANDARD) that is are shockingly bad.

But saying that, they're a stunning car and great fun...
Yeah the RA does seem to tick all the boxes for a toy really, and the earlier ones don't really seem expensive, a little less than I expected really. Certainly cheap compared to an EsCos that's for sure. Might even go up in value eventually I suppose.

The biggest problem certainly seems to be finding one that hasn't been abused or had loads of stupid bits addeded to it!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've just been looking on PH and came across this, god i miss mine when i see them..........

Best Looking Subura without doubt, mine had only done 12k too real tears..

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3734456.htm
Don't

I absolutely adore the 22B, they're just stunning. As you say, the best looking Impreza for sure, make all the others look soft.

But, £29k is big money, a bit over my budget
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If you do find one can I have first refusal when you sell it?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

A WRX STi Type RA is the real deal...

Check for the rally flap and the 5th injector on the inlet manifold.... if its not got both its not an RA!

Alex
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

That's it, they are the best looking BUT not great on UK roads imho, the RB5 is far better suited and felt more at home. I was lucky with my 22B, i bought it from Ian Litchfield for 28k and sold it 8mnoths later for 27k so yes a 1k loss but in Subaru terms not a bad loss tbh.

The car's still going strong so i'm told and it lives in Bristol somewhere..

Would i have another?? Hmm, looks yes, road feedback no, the Mak kills it in every department..
Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike C
Only couple of pics I have on my laptop at the minute. Car is currently having the rust cut of the rear and new complete rear quarters fitted. Import = no rustproofing and usually get bodged up repairs with filler rather than cutting the rust out and doing it properly.

All in for rusty arches?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by AlexF
All in for rusty arches?
The Puma didn't have a mark on it, best one I've ever seen.

The X1/9 didn't have any rust anywhere on it either, but it had been through a resto to get it that way before I had it, including new arches.

It's only the Impreza which had both back arches rusted up and badly repaired. Shame as the rest is straight as anything, but will be immaculate soon.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kirstiestar
What you doing with your CDB Paulo? Also can you recomend me a clutch for mine as its on its way out. Gonna put another 5 speed clutch in it as apparently you can fit them onto a 5 & 6 speed box, but not the other way round? Need one good for 400bhp
I'm trying to sell it Kirstie

Get an exedy pink in there if you don't want a twin plate and yes you are right that you can use them with a 6 speed box if you keep the 5 speed flywheel and starter motor.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Any 5 speed clutch will fit 5 or 6 speed. A basic Exedy pink box organic will hold your 400bhp with ease and still drive pretty normally. Certainly no need for a twin plate at such low power.

If you're prepared for a bit of work though, you can fit a 6 speed clutch/flywheel into a 5 speed if you're happy to grind away part of the bellhousing of the 5 speed. 6 speed starter is also required as a 5 speed will foul the 6 sped flywheel.
6 speed clutches are better as they are slightly larger diameter.

At the cheaper end, ACT clutches seem to work well although never used one myself.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is the colour I'd have ideally I think:

Obviously nothing to do with the similarity between those and this of course

Out of interest, I've seen a WRX Type RA, and a WRX STI Type RA. What's the deal there?
That looks familiar Mine started out like this

And now looks like this

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You can deposit it on my drive if you like!

I definitely love that colour. I'm not too in to the standard wheels, and I do like the ones you've fitted. Keep with the OEM feel, but a bit nicer. Like the Prodrive mirrors too
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks

I have tried to keep it looking as close to OEM as I can and I want the wheels that are very similar to the rally car above. The rally car ran on Speedline wheels and you can buy the ST2 but if you get the Revolution wheels that look similar you can run the bigger Brembo brake kit. For the moment those wheels allow me to run 4 pot front brakes and 2 pot rears but that's not really good enough with 420bhp!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulo P
4 pot front brakes
420bhp
Ballsy move Paul, ballsy move.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 AM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

the wife has a 2006 hawkeye wrx sti PPP
Awesome bit of kit with a finch motorsport forged engine mapped by bob rawle 398bhp 442ft/lbs

tis a bit of a handfull at times but at the same time so easy to drive as a everyday car

i used to have a tommy kairi

spat a rod in 25 miles of owning it
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Ballsy move Paul, ballsy move.

Cheers,
Grant
with 16" wheels my options are extremely limited
Old 10-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Kirstiestar
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Any 5 speed clutch will fit 5 or 6 speed. A basic Exedy pink box organic will hold your 400bhp with ease and still drive pretty normally. Certainly no need for a twin plate at such low power.

If you're prepared for a bit of work though, you can fit a 6 speed clutch/flywheel into a 5 speed if you're happy to grind away part of the bellhousing of the 5 speed. 6 speed starter is also required as a 5 speed will foul the 6 sped flywheel.
6 speed clutches are better as they are slightly larger diameter.

At the cheaper end, ACT clutches seem to work well although never used one myself.
Thankyou
Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Kirstiestar
PassionFord Regular

I'm trying to sell it Kirstie

Get an exedy pink in there if you don't want a twin plate and yes you are right that you can use them with a 6 speed box if you keep the 5 speed flywheel and starter motor.
Cheers hun, what you looking for for the CDB? Knowsomeone who was looking for one unless i can convince Jb to buy it for me lol

As we are pic whoring, here's mine:

Not an RA,P1 or 22B but i love it
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers hun, what you looking for for the CDB? Knowsomeone who was looking for one unless i can convince Jb to buy it for me lol
Best offer I have so far for the block is £250 so if you can match that it's yours

Quick Reply: Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?