General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Impreza people? Grant, Staffi, slammedorion, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulo P
Thanks

I have tried to keep it looking as close to OEM as I can and I want the wheels that are very similar to the rally car above. The rally car ran on Speedline wheels and you can buy the ST2 but if you get the Revolution wheels that look similar you can run the bigger Brembo brake kit. For the moment those wheels allow me to run 4 pot front brakes and 2 pot rears but that's not really good enough with 420bhp!
Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to move away from the OEM looks. loads seem to have the enormous rear wing on, massive wheels and all sorts of other things, but I do think that takes away from it a bit really.

What are those wheels off? They look quite similar to the ones they used on gravel, though obviously 16" instead. I like them, I think they suit it well.

Obviously I wouldn't need to worry about massive brakes, as big power doesn't really interest me. 275bhp is plenty I reckon. Keeps the bills down too!

I take it the standard brakes are pretty poo-poo? They do seem to get a slating by most!

Originally Posted by Kirstiestar
Cheers hun, what you looking for for the CDB? Knowsomeone who was looking for one unless i can convince Jb to buy it for me lol

As we are pic whoring, here's mine:

Not an RA,P1 or 22B but i love it
Looks nice that Kirstie
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My V1 Brakes are good, was always surprised by them. I know they're four-pots, but I'm usually hard to please with brakes and even as standard I thought they were adequate.

I wanted to keep the basic set-up standard, but now have Tarox G88 discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads all round for that little bit extra.

The brakes on my old WRX Wagon were very poor though.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massivewangers
Yeah I definitely wouldn't want to move away from the OEM looks. loads seem to have the enormous rear wing on, massive wheels and all sorts of other things, but I do think that takes away from it a bit really.

What are those wheels off? They look quite similar to the ones they used on gravel, though obviously 16" instead. I like them, I think they suit it well.

Obviously I wouldn't need to worry about massive brakes, as big power doesn't really interest me. 275bhp is plenty I reckon. Keeps the bills down too!

I take it the standard brakes are pretty poo-poo? They do seem to get a slating by most!
It's unusual to see one with an early front end because everybody face lifted them and fitted big wings, splitters and wheels as you say and also fitted lexus lights etc!

They are actually aftermarket 16" x 7" speedlines but they look very similar to the 16" x 6.5" speedline safari wheels that Subaru fitted to the 555 model but the safari's don't clear 4 pots. These are the same wheels they ran on gravel.

the 2 pot fronts and single pot rears aren't great but they are adequate on standard cars. I'm currently running 4 pot fronts and single pot rears but I have some 2 pot rears that I am in the middle of painting ready for fitting.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah, I did wonder about whether there were off one of the special editions. I've seen a couple of them with wheels that I thought looked nicer than the RA wheels. I don't remember if they were on a Catalunya or a McRae though.

I guess I'd just have to see how I felt about the brakes, as that is one area I would potentially upgrade, as there is nothing worse than a car with sloppy brakes!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Catalunya was the black one with 15" gold wheels (the same as a sport!!!) and the McRae edition was the dark metallic blue one with similar wheels to mine. Mine should have the same wheels as the McRae but I was lucky enough to be supplied with these with the car.

Complete 4 pot set-ups are cheap these days and start at Ł120 depending on condition and spec of the discs and pads.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:02 PM
matthart
Regular Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know nothing about Scoobies, apart from you should stop dreaming about one and get your Orion on the road :P
Old 10-04-2012, 04:15 PM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If you upgrade to the 4 pot fronts the discs and pads are cheaper than the standard parts! Well they were when I changed them on mine and accidentally got the standard ones when my car had been upgraded to the 4 pots.

You are an arse though Jon, I've been thinking of another scooby thanks to this thread!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a 1997 one owner fro
New uk model for 1250 last week

Not even tatty for that money. It's got a td05 20g trim blits nur spec system ( far to loud) Sti intercooler and standalone Management. Running 1.5 bar ( IMO to much on a uk block )
Goes like the clappers if you work it hard. Quite lagy though.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by matthart
I know nothing about Scoobies, apart from you should stop dreaming about one and get your Orion on the road :P
It is on the road

Originally Posted by RstAaron.
If you upgrade to the 4 pot fronts the discs and pads are cheaper than the standard parts! Well they were when I changed them on mine and accidentally got the standard ones when my car had been upgraded to the 4 pots.

You are an arse though Jon, I've been thinking of another scooby thanks to this thread!
Haha my pleasure
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM
cossiedevil
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My classic 97 sti wagon would have to say the only issue i had with it was the turbo went on it a few weeks after i got it but has been bullet proof since and would have out lived a good few of my mates sti type r and wrx but it how you drive them and look after them,

new turbo

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looks nice that. Not really into the wagon, but that looks tidy matey!

Originally Posted by Paulo P
The Catalunya was the black one with 15" gold wheels (the same as a sport!!!) and the McRae edition was the dark metallic blue one with similar wheels to mine. Mine should have the same wheels as the McRae but I was lucky enough to be supplied with these with the car.

Complete 4 pot set-ups are cheap these days and start at Ł120 depending on condition and spec of the discs and pads.
Yeah, it's the Series McRae wheels that I like. Definitely give it more of a rally flavour but keep it OEM. Much nicer than the standard RA wheels I must say, just a shame they wouldn't take the four pots!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Kirstiestar
PassionFord Regular

Sorry to intrude on your thread, but this is the clutch i have in at the moment Paulo, i take it this isnt the one you recommended? Or is it?! lol

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kirstiestar
Sorry to intrude on your thread, but this is the clutch i have in at the moment Paulo, i take it this isnt the one you recommended? Or is it?! lol

That's what I have in mine and it's doing a great job
Old 16-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

been looking into these too lol after coming back from a few days away on friday and we were overtaken by a classic dark blue one, fuck know what spec it was but it looked and sounded good lol

i need to out the puma as the boot is rediculous and trying to get 2 kids in the back is a chore!

so, 51 plate puma just under 60k miles Ł1695 ono

ill have around 2k to spend...
Old 16-04-2012, 09:22 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the scoob to central day. It managed 27 mpg 5 up doing 90 all the way. Few boost moments chasing fords. Was quite impressed lol
Old 23-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

arent the 6-speeds supposed to be buillit proof lol?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

looks a nice car other than the fucked box lol
Old 23-04-2012, 07:33 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
arent the 6-speeds supposed to be buillit proof lol?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

looks a nice car other than the fucked box lol
Syncros if that is the problem is hardly fucked. Often you find either the owner or dealer has put shit oil in it which causes crunching. Or else the person who owns it cant drive causing damage.

But a standard 6 speed will handle 600+ and run 10sec quarters quite happily. Show me a standard Ford box that will do the same.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ok fair point lol

how hard is it to replace the syncors then?

major ball ache one would imagine
Old 23-04-2012, 07:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Without driving it to ascertain just how bad it really is, hard to know what it would take to fix.

Obviously it's a gearbox out job, but that really isnt that bad a job. Parts arent that expensive either. Ł2-300 would easily cover all parts needed unless there was some really bad damage. The rest is just labour.

But Ive seen plenty of gearboxes crunching, especially older 5 speeds. Put some Castrol Syntrax in, and nice smooth changes again and no crunching.
It's all going back to what I keep saying about these cars. Most problems are down to plain and simple bad maintenance. Look after them properly and they will be very reliable and great cars.
If the car in the advert was in any way half decent, you could easily break it into more than Ł4k lol
Old 23-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

thing is it would be the absolute max budget, might be able to get it for 3500 at a push and if decent gear oil didnt sort it, i wont have the time or money to put into fixing it for a good while. i guess you could still drive it etc but id need it to be reliable as it would be a daily, and for karting the kids about in.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:02 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

With any second hand car it's always a gamble. That's why you need to try and find a good one. It certainly wont be easier with the amount of cowboys out there who cannot look after them right.
Or if when things go wrong, they do shoddy rebuilds

Unfortunately you would have to assume it wont be as simple as an oil change. If an oil change did fix it, it would be a bonus. But if buying one with a crunchy box, you have to factor in that the gearbox will need stripped.

Unless you can do the work etc yourself, it's almost always worth paying a bit extra for a known good car where it's history can be traced.
Old 23-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

exactly, buy one that works lol

no doubt i could do the work as im quite handy with the spanners, but i have never had a gearbox apart before.

with some info and and a how two etc im sure i could manage it, but we are doing an extension and the garage will be pulled down in a few weeks, and then rebuilt but wont be usualbe to work on a car in for at least 8 months i recon.

but as said, if it doesnt drive too bad and the crunching doesnt get any worse then it could be a good buy..... maybe
Old 24-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

is this a 6-speed box like what would be fitted to the car in the link i posted (sorry i know FA about scoobys)

as if the casings come apart in half like that i reckon i could do the necassary wory to replace the synchros etc.

do you need any special tools etc as i have various size pullers, and a pair of circlip pliers, but not sure if they will be good enough for big circlips (if there are any)

ive tried looking on sidc and scooby net but cant seem to find any good guides, just lots of people with broken gearboxes lol
Old 24-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

oh and yes i know that a dog engagement box, so no synchros in the pic lol
Old 24-04-2012, 07:49 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

My old Type R.

Best shaped Scooby.

Old 24-04-2012, 10:26 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Fudgey
is this a 6-speed box like what would be fitted to the car in the link i posted (sorry i know FA about scoobys)

as if the casings come apart in half like that i reckon i could do the necassary wory to replace the synchros etc.

do you need any special tools etc as i have various size pullers, and a pair of circlip pliers, but not sure if they will be good enough for big circlips (if there are any)

ive tried looking on sidc and scooby net but cant seem to find any good guides, just lots of people with broken gearboxes lol
That's an old 5 speed box. 6 speed casing is largely a 1 piece unit where the gear cluster is removed as a complete assembly. 6 speed is much bigger and heavier than a 5 speed.

Old 25-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ah i see. i quiteliked the idea of openeing it up in half like the one i posted...

have you ever had a 6-speed apart steve? you seem to know what your on about, so any info if its possible to DIY it would be good.

but i was thinking, like you said before, if the gears crunch from second to third, then that shows possibly a lack of maintenance.... so leads me to think what other corners have been cut - and its cheap for a reason... hmmm.

ive been looking on the net these couple of days and i cannot find a gearbox rebuild how to or similar, just lots of pics of broken boxes lol
Old 25-04-2012, 10:55 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

I havent personally took one apart, but a friend has done quite a few. Most stuff isnt that difficult, but when it's a first time, especially with a gearbox...DIY isnt always the best option.
There are lots of parts lol

Replacements still fetch between Ł1500-2k. But labour to strip and rebuild really shouldnt cost much over Ł200, so in that respect it can make sense just to let someone who is familiar with them do it.

Cheap cars are usually cheap for a reason. But then again, Ive seen plenty of expensive cars that. have been bundles of shit.
At least if you buy cheap, you have lower expectations. If you buy expensive and get a shitter it's even worse.
Old 25-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

that is true lol

as for the DIY aspect, i dont like paying people to do stuff for me, as i dont learn anything!

i there are lots of parts etc, so if i had a guide to follow it wouldnt be so daunting.

the only time i pay people is when A. i really fuck it up and B. if i REALLY couldnt do it....

a gearbox cant be that hard to do lol

if the cash im waiting for comes through soon, and that one above has not sold then ill go and have a look i think.... but knowing my luck it will be sold before the funds come through!
Old 25-04-2012, 01:43 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

My old my00 uk turbo had 2nd, 3rd crunch, lost 5. And had issues with reverse.
I took the box out and had tegsport rebuild it with good second hand parts.
Cost me Ł350 quid.
Was like new.
Wouldn't use them for a engine rebuild though.
Old 25-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

thats not a bad price mate, but as i said i like to learn new things, so next time i breaks i have an idea lol
Old 25-04-2012, 08:07 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine was just a standard MY2000. Don't think I would have sold it if it wasn't for the fact that the spog seats wouldn't fit in!

Last edited by p.cressie; 25-04-2012 at 08:11 PM.