General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone on here a motorsport marshal??

Search this Thread

Old 22-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Moonie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone on here a motorsport marshal??

Me and my girlfriend went to Oulton Park at the weekend to do a days training, basic stuff like operating fire extinguishers, operating in car extinguishers and cut off switches etc.

Now all we have to do is tick off what events we want to do this year, they send us the tickets (and an extra ticket each so two other people can get in free) and we just turn up and watch the racing (and push the odd car out of the way)

Just wondering if anyone on here was a motorsport marshal and had any information on the subject or information on other circuits etc.

Old 22-02-2005, 05:25 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

iI am

i do marshalling at the WRC events in wales
Old 22-02-2005, 05:39 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Marshal as well as compete mate

Always give back what we take out of the sport. Its done by volunteers at the end of the day and if it wasn't for them we couldn't compete. I try to make it a 50/50 split between competing and marshalling. I have a current 2005 licence too

The British Motorsport Marshals Club is at http://www.marshals.co.uk/
and the rally marshals club at http://www.brmc.org.uk/
Old 22-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Moonie

I wouldnt mind doing the odd rally, the girlfriend's not too keen in on pissin in the woods though

How do you go about doin the WRC and the GP, i herd you have to be selected by the MSA??
Old 22-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marshalled a couple of rally-X events at blyton in north lincolnshoire
Old 22-02-2005, 05:50 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

WRC will welcome you if you have a licence. You will need to apply via an MSA application form.

GP is only for experienced track marshals and are selected from many applications yes. Your local race circuit will welcome you for most other meetings though. You will need to provide (buy) your own Proban (fireproof) overalls if doing track side, or come suitably attired if doing rally stuff.

As with the sport in general there are many sides to marshalling, from being a car park attendant right through to setting them off via the lights or 5,4,3,2,1 Go signals. Then we have radio crews, time control marshals, safety officials etc etc etc. Its an interesting and rewarding hobby. But like all things you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Old 22-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Tony Ryan
PassionFord Post Troll

A very underrated group of people , held very high in my estimation and as Tony Nuts says , we couldn't compete without you !
Old 22-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Moonie

Cheers for the info

They were telling us about the various levels the other day at Oulton Park - Observer, incident officer, flag marshal etc and working your way up through the various levels.

Goin to put our names down for a couple of events this year and see how it goes, i fance being trackside so i can get to see some racing.