General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Drugaliser

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Drugaliser

Caught on sky news earlier, the 'Drugaliser' takes a saliva sample from your mouth and then tests for drug use on drivers on the street, fella giving the interview was an ex copper and estimates each unit at around the £3k mark,

what do you all think? discuss

Luciano
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

far too expensive for most forces to use - will prob end up with one piece of equipment in each force and thats it.

i thought they took hair samples or sweat previously?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

good idea if it is used to catch drug drivers. Needs to be properly assessed so they can set limits like they did with the alcohol machines.

The FIT test they do currently is hit and miss. Half the bloody fit tests id fail as my balance isnt great when sober/straight let alone if i was smashed on drugs...
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a great idea,
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a good idea massive amount of drug drivers on the roads, id suspect mainly taken canabis,
its hard to detect unless they look smashed. i know a few people who cant even go to work without a joint and one of them drives heavy machinery all day.
they should be dealt the same as drink drivers i love a beer but i dont drive when ive had any not even 1 if someones involved in a rta then they get breathalised
but if they are on drugs this wont show so i think this will be great and i dont think 3 grand is a bad price
Old 04-01-2012, 03:55 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Good idea. Dont think there needs to be limits warren like there is with beer. Most drugs are illegal and certain prescription ones say not to drive or operate heavy machinery. If you get caught even a tiny bit under the influence of illegal drugs then and 12 month ban is in order I think. Eg Weed. Coke . Speed. ketamine . Extacy etc etc. With regards to prescription drugs if the doc or the instructions tell you not to drive and you do then thats your fault too and deserve 6 points and a fine perhaps
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

its not that simple cosworthguy. Surely the point is road safety. People can perfectly legally go get stoned in parts of europe then come here and still have weed in thier system.

That doesnt therefore mean they are a risk behind the wheel.

Its exactly the same principle with alcohol needing a limit. You cant practically enforce a zero limit nor would it be respected from a road safety perspective.

however yes, in the vast majority of cases, detection of drugs in such cases is an indication of illegal drug use. Im pretty certain it could easily be used as justification for an on the spot drug search of person and car, and could be recorded for police intelligence reasons.

There are very very few prescription drugs that you cant legally drive on. However, there are thousands of drugs that potentially can make you drowsy. It is almost impossible to assess with those kinds of cases when someone is unfit except through the standard of thier driving. There are just too many drugs/parameters to assess. Its much simpler with alcohol and illegal drugs as the effects are much better documented.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

There's got to be a huge grey area with it though, Cannabis stays in the system for days after use does it not? Pretty sure it won't affect you a few days after.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
gouch1
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by CrOwSoN15
There's got to be a huge grey area with it though, Cannabis stays in the system for days after use does it not? Pretty sure it won't affect you a few days after.
if alcahol was in my system days later and detected id expect a ban so whats fairs fair
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
its not that simple cosworthguy. Surely the point is road safety. People can perfectly legally go get stoned in parts of europe then come here and still have weed in thier system.

That doesnt therefore mean they are a risk behind the wheel.

Its exactly the same principle with alcohol needing a limit. You cant practically enforce a zero limit nor would it be respected from a road safety perspective.

however yes, in the vast majority of cases, detection of drugs in such cases is an indication of illegal drug use. Im pretty certain it could easily be used as justification for an on the spot drug search of person and car, and could be recorded for police intelligence reasons.
There are very very few prescription drugs that you cant legally drive on. However, there are thousands of drugs that potentially can make you drowsy. It is almost impossible to assess with those kinds of cases when someone is unfit except through the standard of thier driving. There are just too many drugs/parameters to assess. Its much simpler with alcohol and illegal drugs as the effects are much better documented.
Whilst I can see what your saying i disagree with the top statement that I highlighted as Yes you CAN get stoned in other parts of europe but if they then come to this country and the drugs are still having an effect then its illegal. The fact of where they took the drugs is irrelavent to me. The fact they are under the influence is what matters to me. In certain countries in europe its agaist their laws to have more than 20milligrammes of alcohol in your blood. I couldnt fly over there after a few pints in the airport bar and drive a car their and use the excuse that in the uk the limit is 80milligrammes so thats why its still effecting me so its ok yeah??

Thats how I interpreted your statement of people getting stoned abroad then coming here and driving to be. If ive misunderstood then Ill apologise. Very passionate subject to me as someone close to me has been killed by a drink/drug driver
Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

I got pulled over Xmas and and had both alcohol and drug test... Pissed on his fire tho as I don't drink/drug drive...

Saliva test on inside of mouth... Result negative..
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They tried to do this before but I'm not sure what happened to it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ide-tests.html

That link was last updated on 15th August 2009, so lets see if they actually bring it into action this time!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

different drugs stay in your system longer than others, canabis is up to 3 months but it wont be effecting you 12 hours after smoking it. cokes out your system between 12 and 48 hours. and different drugs effect you differently.
setting a limit to that could be very difficult.
zero tollerence for drink and drugs is the only fair way.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
trev1964
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Re above posts, i think it is that simple.
Some drugs are illegal and its illegal to drive under their influence.
If caught with cannabis, cocaine, ecstaty, heroine etc in your system, instant roadside 12 month disqualification.
Fast track the ban!

Anyone coming to this country who uses drugs has to take the responsibilty for obeying our laws.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

smoking a few joints at a party 2 months ago could cause you to lose your licence now? it certainly wont be effecting your driving. the fact youve taken an illegal drug isnt related to your driving and is a different offence altogether.