General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any reason NOT to remap a E39 530D?

Search this Thread

Old 22-12-2011, 10:40 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rab
Well, the only blowing up I recall involved his 4i which he basically gave loads of money to some company who bodged it a bit and then closed and fucked off to ireland or something after ripping off another PF member.

Now everyone is having a go? Not the PF I remember!
Haven't heard that one. It was the M3 I was thinking of?
I'm not having a go btw. Just pointing out thats probably why people are?

Also the recent posts about him, just seem begging out for comedy posts
Old 22-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Originally Posted by Chip
Agreed, known Jim years, he's a great guy, amazing what a fucked up perception of him some wallys on here seem to have!
Thing is Chip, most of the people giving him the shit weren't even fucking here when Jim had his 4i troubles.

Old 22-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Rab

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Haven't heard that one. It was the M3 I was thinking of?
I'm not having a go btw. Just pointing out thats probably why people are?

Also the recent posts about him, just seem begging out for comedy posts
The M3? He let someone else have a drive of it on track resulting in it getting a bit crashed. Some money was exchanged and Jim ended up with Rich_Pon's old MR2 Turbo. I dunno what happened after this I ran off with a Jap mistress
Old 22-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rab
The M3? He let someone else have a drive of it on track resulting in it getting a bit crashed. Some money was exchanged and Jim ended up with Rich_Pon's old MR2 Turbo. I dunno what happened after this I ran off with a Jap mistress
Different M3, the replacement one died on the way to the ring and had to be recovered home.

Apparently, this was Jim's fault for not buying an expensive enough car, even though there was absolutely fuck all signs there was anything wrong at all with the one that he did buy, apparently if he had spent 1K more then it would mean that it had a million miles warranty according to some of the complete tools on here that think buying a car cheap cause it has some minor paint damage means the engine is about to blow up but if the car is shiney then it cant ever break down.

Its not Jim's lack of knowledge that is the issue, its all the muppets trying to judge him that havent a clue what they are on about!
Old 22-12-2011, 10:58 AM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by Rab
I missed that one. Its the one Chips talking about I can remember him getting a load of stick for.

Wasnt there a story where it started making a funny noise at the ring, so he had it recovered (fully operational) and by the time the recovery company got it to a garage, it was seriously messed up?
Something along those lines.
Old 22-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Rab

Originally Posted by Chip
Different M3, the replacement one died on the way to the ring and had to be recovered home.

Apparently, this was Jim's fault for not buying an expensive enough car, even though there was absolutely fuck all signs there was anything wrong at all with the one that he did buy, apparently if he had spent 1K more then it would mean that it had a million miles warranty according to some of the complete tools on here that think buying a car cheap cause it has some minor paint damage means the engine is about to blow up but if the car is shiney then it cant ever break down.

Its not Jim's lack of knowledge that is the issue, its all the muppets trying to judge him that havent a clue what they are on about!
Right. I'll remember that next thread I read about a Cossie engine letting go. Should have spent more money and bought a newer car thats better.

I missed that one. Its the one Chips talking about I can remember him getting a load of stick for.

Wasnt there a story where it started making a funny noise at the ring, so he had it recovered (fully operational) and by the time the recovery company got it to a garage, it was seriously messed up?
See what I miss while I'm off having Jap fun? But I still don't get why he's getting such a hard time!
Old 22-12-2011, 11:28 AM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by Rab
Right. I'll remember that next thread I read about a Cossie engine letting go. Should have spent more money and bought a newer car thats better.

See what I miss while I'm off having Jap fun? But I still don't get why he's getting such a hard time!
Its because this is the internet, and thats the way it works
Old 22-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Rab

Its because this is the internet, and thats the way it works
No no no. It works by sending pictures of naked girls down my telephone cable
Old 22-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Chip

Yes, he was driving it to the ring, it started to make some fairly serious sounding noises from the top end of the engine, like a lifter had collapsed or similar, so Jim had it recovered rather than carry on ragging an engine with a fault.
By the time the car arrived in england, it was completely fucked.

I was there when he had it recovered away, and when it got to Michael Woodford Motorsport back in the UK to be worked on I can promise you that Jim is 100% correct that in the time between the two it got properly fucked up by someone, it wasnt the same fault at all! By the time it got to the uk the bottom end was knocking its tits off.

How that is somehow Jim's fault though, only the complete retards of PF will be able to tell you as it makes no sense at all to me, I just felt sorry for the guy that he did the right thing and stopped driving it, and yet still ended up with a fucked engine due to something that someone else did with it whilst in their care!
Old 22-12-2011, 12:16 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only met Jim when a lot of us went out to Germany, definitely not one of the bad ones if you ask me.

I like this site for the laughs but in some cases I think the insults do get a bit personal, no need for it
Old 22-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

thanks for the kind words peeps but dont worry i gave up caring what randoms on the internet thought of me a while back now

Gracey, what you mean about the back end mate? i know the airbags are a common fault but mine are working fine (got inpa and ran thru all the tests to check em)

one thing i did notice the other night on the way home is that there is a tiny bit of vibration thru the wheel at 90+mph, just feels like the wheels need a balance altho strangely it didnt happen every single time i went 90+mph only about half the time and i assume if it was a balance issue itd be constant?
Old 22-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ps on the M3 breakdown, the recovery firm gave me back 50% of the repair costs
Old 22-12-2011, 03:57 PM
RSTsteve
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
50+ mpg?

my computer tells me i'm doing about 32-34 around town and 38-42 on a run

did about 200 miles to 20quids worth of the black stuff

only put fuel in it once sofar

not sure on the flaps, ive got a warranty so might just wait until thats up then look into it.

didnt know you can "uprate" them, anyone got a link for more detail? seems a better approach than removal.
http://www.bmwswirlflaps.co.uk/
Old 22-12-2011, 04:10 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

50+ mpg?

my computer tells me i'm doing about 32-34 around town and 38-42 on a run

did about 200 miles to 20quids worth of the black stuff

only put fuel in it once sofar

Jim

Mine is the manual so its better on fuel to start with...but with a remap its even better....
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

right, from what ive read it sounds like it cant hurt to get the EGR thermostat replaced as it may be causing me to run cold (will check with laptop when i get a chance to take it out) as its quite slow to warm up plus the worse than expected MPG...

but my googling has also now got me thinking about blanking off the EGR.

other than emissions laws and the environment and such are there any negatives to the running of the engine?

premature turbo failure etc.?

i'd be using a replacement unit rather than just blocking it off
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

ive deleted the EGR function from the map on my 320d, so the valve never opens. and ive not noticed any bad effects at all,

its used ,mainly to control egt.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

James, what would you reccomend to take it further than a simple remap? Decat & filter etc what would you expect power wise? 280Bhp ish? Could MSD cater for that conversion, and how much would it be?
Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes we can do them, we have had the 330d upto just under 300bhp.

Exhaust, air filter, inter cooler, remap
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
Yes we can do them, we have had the 330d upto just under 300bhp.

Exhaust, air filter, inter cooler, remap
Ahh intercooler, knew there was somthing else! What do you reccomend for that? Also, can you test the injectors and MAF, or would you be able to carry out a health check pre- tune? Mines a bit smokey at the moment and the MPG has dropped off, I suspect the EGR is clogged and maybe stuck slightly open?
Old 04-01-2012, 05:21 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Cleaning the EGR is a piss easy job mate.....took about an hour all done.......Makes a bit of difference too...

Take a look here...

http://home.tiscali.nl/luuk60/

Last edited by TIFF; 04-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i had a ride out in that 330d when he first had it done, MONSTER CAR!

couldnt beleive it was a derv!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

FYI, i have confirmed i have a dodgy EGR thermostat as the engine isnt reaching temp, that will be the cause of the poor MPG!

being sorted under warranty too... nice!

i think i'll have a go at cleaning the EGR at some point, think i need to buy a small toolkit to do the EGR and the swirl flaps.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM
dan le moignan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I've just booked my e60 530d in for an evolution remap at my local dealer, they said they need the car for the day but usually done within 3hours, is this normal?. Can't wait, as it should be a great drive home!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by dan le moignan
I've just booked my e60 530d in for an evolution remap at my local dealer, they said they need the car for the day but usually done within 3hours, is this normal?. Can't wait, as it should be a great drive home!
Yes that sounds normal to me as they have to send the file off to Kenny/Stu in blackpool to actually modify and then get it back etc.

Im sure you will be over the moon with it mate, and if not there is a 7 day money back guarentee with evolution chips anyway so you can always change your mind still

On the 3/5 series more than just about any other car it normally takes a couple of dozen miles before the map is fully up to speed, sounds daft but because it involves altering some of the cars limit settings, like torque limiters etc, the car has to "learn" how the new map works, its not like mapping aftermarket management where all the changes are instant.
So you typically wont feel all the gains straight away, unless the mapper has taken it on a long test drive to get it right upto full power.
So dont be surprised initially if its not quite as quick as you are expecting for the first few miles!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
bookwyse

Mine took about three hours and then around 50 miles for the full effects to be felt.

Once you have had it done you will be amazed with the transformation.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
RSTsteve

i'm interested in doing a remap on my E39 530d sport (manual)

It pulls well as it is but obviously what kind of car enthusiast would i be if i did go for a tune up.

On the BMW forums alot of people rate Simon from emaps
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by RSTsteve
i'm interested in doing a remap on my E39 530d sport (manual)

It pulls well as it is but obviously what kind of car enthusiast would i be if i did go for a tune up.

On the BMW forums alot of people rate Simon from emaps
And you can tell the wife you are just doing it for economy of course
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
dan le moignan

Thanks chip, only reason I ask is I don't fancy waiting around allday as the dealer I've chosen is not local.
Also heard the gearboxes take a while to catch up? Not like on that nova I had, when mark mapped it done a few runs with next to no boost, then put it upto about 1.2 bar I think and told to floor it in 3rd, that was instant difference!
I take it the garage can't mess about with the map? All they are doing is uploading it to the car?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
bookwyse

All the dealer does is download the map, send it to the mapper who then makes the changes. It is then emailed backed and loaded.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

the steptronic does indeed have a learning mode too so it probably cant hurt to reset those settings and have it re-learn your driving syle
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

what is that simon bloke like by the way, is he a mapper or a reseller? just another company ive heard to have a good rep.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ps i feel your pain about not having a local dealer, my local one is a 50 miles drive and they dont have a doorstep service.

i want to spend as little time in dover as possible so not hanging about there all day
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM
bookwyse

Jim,

The lads that did mine are in Rochester and offer a mobile service as well.

The chaps name is Jason and the company is bwchiptune , they are also of bimmerforums like I saw you were.lol

Jason also runs a high power x5 at the pod.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

rochester's a bit far from me

Anyway i'm going to get the surrey branch to do mine as soon as i get a chance, things are just awkward at the minute with a babdy due any day!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
dan le moignan

I have a local dealer, but their website Has a picture of an escort van with a body kit on which was enough to put me off! Next dealer is only a 50min drive and looks alot more professional
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
RSTsteve

simon Emaps is his own thing and not a reseller.

He comes to you and does a full dianostic check first and also he advises to get the EGR clean and change the turbo oil breather to the new vortex style one, £40 from GSF
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Originally Posted by RSTsteve
simon Emaps is his own thing and not a reseller.

He comes to you and does a full dianostic check first and also he advises to get the EGR clean and change the turbo oil breather to the new vortex style one, £40 from GSF
Simon remapped mine..

Exactly what he did when he remapped my 530D....(he also remapped my 330D a few years back).......VERY well spoke of in the BMW forums ect.....
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gracey, what you mean about the back end mate? i know the airbags are a common fault but mine are working fine (got inpa and ran thru all the tests to check em)

Rear subframe bushes are prone to turning to cheese on the tourings but not so bad on the saloon. They are easy to replace if you have to £250 tool to do the job (all 4 bushes cosst under £100) but without it, it's a right pig of a job.

Airbags are prone to failure too - mainly through lack of servicing, like with anything else in the suspension system, the airbags are service items but never seem to get changed :/

Mild juddering on the front end at speed could be the thrust arm bushes - another common fault that gets overlooked and people throw money at the problem in the wrong area - Buy polybushes, fit and forget
Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

These are properly good engines...

My best mates got a 330cd (Facelift 204bhp engine) He fitted a decat exhaust, EGR delete and removed the dreaded swirl flaps.

I've mapped it using the Evo Chips software, remapped the EGR out and it goes like STINK! It made 280bhp and 480lb/ft on the dyno...

Properly mental thing tbh, mid range is mad!

DO IT!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorty - You took a ride in my old 530d Sport on the way to Germany with the Evo Chips software on it and commented that it was a beast back then too

Quick Reply: Any reason NOT to remap a E39 530D?