General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Boot mounted fuel cell, worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Russ Payne
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boot mounted fuel cell, worth it??

Hello everyone

as above really, I am currently building a series 2 track car

My new engine has an external swirl pot, is it worth getting a fuel cell in the boot or will the standard tank be fine??

Also will it still be road legal with a fuel tank in the back?

cheers
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Icurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just recently put a tank into the boot of my RS2k mk5 track car, have yet to get a fresh mot on it, but I think it needs to have a lockable fuel cap in order to pass, as long as the tank is properly secured and looks like it is fit for purpose also!

I went this route after I had a fuel pump failure on a track day, and what with the original fuel pump being internal, it was game over for me that day. But with the external fuel pump I would have had the option to swap them over, as long as I have a spare with me of course.

The fuel cell is mounted above the rear axle line, just ahead of the spare wheel well, and has raised the centre of gravity a bit I guess, as the original tank was mounted below the rear seats. But the ease of access to everything is a bonus.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your new engine has an ext. swirl pot? You sure that is referring to a fuel swirl pot as really that has no connection the the motor.
If you OE tank is good i would keep it. It will be positioned far bar than having on incar in terms of COG plus the cost of running an decent internal setup will probably run you half a dozen track days(in terms of £££).
I would definatly run a lift,swirl and main setup though as OE tanks arent great for fuel surge when run low.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Russ Payne

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rs1
Your new engine has an ext. swirl pot? You sure that is referring to a fuel swirl pot as really that has no connection the the motor.
If you OE tank is good i would keep it. It will be positioned far bar than having on incar in terms of COG plus the cost of running an decent internal setup will probably run you half a dozen track days(in terms of £££).
I would definatly run a lift,swirl and main setup though as OE tanks arent great for fuel surge when run low.
Yes mate, I bought the whole running gear as a package mapped and ready to run, I know it has no connection to the motor, but I want to install everything it came with, and there is not gonna be much room under the bonnet to mount it, so was thinking in the boot, hence the question about the fuel cell