General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Fuel Pump re wire

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2011, 01:27 AM
CZWRTH NZ
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump re wire

I have a question for the techy's out there..
My older brother has just had his mitsi VR4 (galant pre evo) on the dyno and he got 230kw at the wheels, iv been giving him shit and told him, during a drinking session that my old 2wd saph cossie (stage one) could keep up. so for my birthday he offered to put my car on the same dyno (hub) and see what power its making, sweet! I said to him that fuel pump wiring on the cos can be a prob with increased age comes increased resistance so can he help me rewire it. He said we should check the voltage at the pump first, to which i replied we should do it on the run when the pumps under load, as all the threads on here will tell me!
Now his reply made sense to me, if the pump has 13ish volts when its idling it should always have this power because the pump runs the same all the time, its the pressure reg which will change when iv got my foot up it... so in theory when the car is idling the pump will be under more load because the reg is holding it up because the car is using buggar all fuel.
Does any one see what im getting at here am i missing something or are all these threads about pump load and boost redundant...
Old 24-11-2011, 01:22 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel pump circuit is a high current one and over the years it can affect the wiring and terminals etc that feed the pump. The fuel pressure will increase as more load is applied and more current is drawn by the pump which is where a low voltage can be seen and be dangerous . Rewire pump so its seperate to everything else .