General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Slight steering vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slight steering vibration?

If you pay attention to half my posts you will have seen I've always had steering vibration issues with my Focus.

After replacing the majority of the front suspension I found the steering rack to be at fault.
Now even though the steering no longer 'shudders' theres still ever so slight vibration at ~80mph onwards. You can feel it but it's not enough for you to physically see it.
I had 4 new budgets fitted last week, unfortunatley they were HORRIFIC! I must have had half decent budgets before and been lucky, these were leathal in anything other than dry.
Went back to the garage and they took my budgets part-ex and managed to get 4 Falken ZE912's for £130.

So I doubt I have any wheel balencing issues.
Both wishbones have been replaced and 3 wheel bearings.
Also steering rack, track rods & ends along with droplinks.
Theres no funny noises apart from a little crunch from one of the front brakes now and again which I cannot trace.

Now in a straight line my steering wheel is slightly off centre, I'm wondering if my wheel alignments out slightly?

Anyone give me any places to start looking? To the cause of this as it's bloody annoying

Bailes.

Last edited by Bailes1992; 14-11-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 14-11-2011, 05:47 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Get the tracking checked by a mechanic (not a tyre shop as they will more than likely not do it properly). Have you replaced the bush that the drive shaft goes through that bolts to the subframe? These commonly wear and will give you a vibration at higher speed.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Bailes1992

The N/S shaft dosen't have anything and the O/S shaft bearing is attached to the engine?? Don't know weather it's different between the two gearboxes? IB5 and MTX75 is it?
Old 14-11-2011, 08:56 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried a different set of wheels on it to make sure yours dont have a slight buckle, and do they sit snug to the hub before you put the bolts in?
Old 15-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by matts1
Have you tried a different set of wheels on it to make sure yours dont have a slight buckle, and do they sit snug to the hub before you put the bolts in?
I did have a buckle in one wheel.
It was sent away, XRayed, straightend and sent back.

I'm going to get it back in this weekend to have all four wheels balenced again and the tracking done.
Old 15-11-2011, 04:54 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Tripod joint on the driveshaft if it's an ib5. Bet you anything
Old 15-11-2011, 05:52 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seem to be throwing a lot of money at a car that doesnt seem to be worth it mate, from what ive read your mum didnt give a shit about it and now your paying the price for it, just because a car is reliable doesnt mean you can neglect its service and upkeep, as in the future problems will and have occured and you play the game of replacing 10 parts at say £100 to fix 1 part that would have cost £10 each time, i know when i bought my focus it had been p/x'd in because of the notchy steering, i could see it had had fresh fluid, it had a new pump, the rack was knackered, appeared the previous owner had exhausted all cheaper options, but the biggy being the rack, they obviously thought was a big and expensive job hence p/x ing it, clean straight car otherwise !

Id say buckled wheel too, try putting the front wheels on the back and vice versa, or the bush as said on the driveshaft, or lift the front end up SECURELY on stands, start it up and put it in gear and watch the wheels turning, watch for any wobbles, thats how i found out one of my alloys was bent..
Old 15-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by 12340987
Seem to be throwing a lot of money at a car that doesnt seem to be worth it mate, from what ive read your mum didnt give a shit about it and now your paying the price for it, just because a car is reliable doesnt mean you can neglect its service and upkeep, as in the future problems will and have occured and you play the game of replacing 10 parts at say £100 to fix 1 part that would have cost £10 each time, i know when i bought my focus it had been p/x'd in because of the notchy steering, i could see it had had fresh fluid, it had a new pump, the rack was knackered, appeared the previous owner had exhausted all cheaper options, but the biggy being the rack, they obviously thought was a big and expensive job hence p/x ing it, clean straight car otherwise !

Id say buckled wheel too, try putting the front wheels on the back and vice versa, or the bush as said on the driveshaft, or lift the front end up SECURELY on stands, start it up and put it in gear and watch the wheels turning, watch for any wobbles, thats how i found out one of my alloys was bent..
I'l watch the guy put them on to be balenced on Saturday.
The engine is sound, just the front suspension seemed to had been given a bang.
I'm doing 100 miles a day and she dosen't put a foot wrong otherwise! Quite proud of it to be honest!
Old 16-11-2011, 01:39 AM
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is the same, but its just fix one issue and 2 more occur, if it wasnt for the fact of how 95% mint the bodywork is for a black 10 year old, id have probably thrown the towel in, the steering is notchy and scary one day yet its fine the other? So not replacing the rack until it gets constantly bad.. i think the gearbox is about to shit itself too
Old 16-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Bailes1992

BINGO!
A few months ago I stupidly put a smidge of copper grease behind my brake disc which caused an ever so slight run out. These vibrations were identicle!

Last night about 11pm I whiped my wheels off and low and behold the garage have slapped a load of grease behind the alloys. Cleaned it all off, took her for a spin and all is well again