General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

borescope or endoscope

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts
Default borescope or endoscope

would one of the usb borescopes on ebay do the job ? if i remove my spark plug drop it in the head will i be able to turn the engine over by hand and see the valve and piston ? im not sure it will have enough viewing angle as il only be able to put the camera just below spark plug hole threads so as it doesnt get squashed by the piston, i just want to view the valve while adjusting cam timing to check clearance.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

They will be of no use for what you want. Images arent that great, and you still have no way of measuring clearance.

Easiest way is just to take rocker cover off. Rotate cam/crank to where PTV contact is likely to occur, then try and push the valve open manually. If you can push it open by say another 60 thou safely without contact, then you'll be fine.
Actual real life measurements is the only way to ensure it is safe.

Trying to view with a camera is not precise in any way.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:45 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends what bore scope you use as to what the picture will be like, when I borrowed roosies the image was perfect easily as good as a tv, and the light on the end of the probe was just right, pity it didn't have an adjuster so it could be made brighter/dimmer as wanted, this one you could save images/film on a xd card or direct t pc/lappy, was about Ł350 though I think.
tabetha
Old 13-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They will be of no use for what you want. Images arent that great, and you still have no way of measuring clearance.

Easiest way is just to take rocker cover off. Rotate cam/crank to where PTV contact is likely to occur, then try and push the valve open manually. If you can push it open by say another 60 thou safely without contact, then you'll be fine.
Actual real life measurements is the only way to ensure it is safe.

Trying to view with a camera is not precise in any way.
agreed ive had the snapon all singing thing and the mactools one there shit because angle them to see anything so all you see is the bloody piston and you tend to know when thats fucked due to lots of smoke steam and shit
Old 13-07-2011, 08:26 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cos
agreed ive had the snapon all singing thing and the mactools one there shit because angle them to see anything so all you see is the bloody piston and you tend to know when thats fucked due to lots of smoke steam and shit
Exactly. The only one Ive used is a bloody expensive Snap On one.

If you can get a direct shot then yes the actual image is clear. With the little mirror attached to see back up the bore. Then the image is shit. You simply cannot get a good clear focused view easily. If it is something blatantly obvious you are looking for then yes they can be of use. But generally the symptoms of that problem will be blatantly obvious too.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:14 PM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a snap on one really good picture can get in most places
Old 13-07-2011, 10:34 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my mates got one.. tryed it on my car was crystal clear!
Old 13-07-2011, 10:35 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he then put a thing on the end of the camara and then i could see the valves.