General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

compulsory car insurance, here it comes

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2011, 04:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default compulsory car insurance, here it comes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/13836557

but don't forget to allow for the small matter that if you sorn it you don't need to insure it put you off writing to you mp, moaning about it costing too much and generally swearing at no one in particular
Old 20-06-2011, 07:47 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't have to worry because I must be the only TWAT that insures there car fully comp 12 months of the year but only uses it for two weeks per year.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:40 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it helps prevent uninsured motorists driving around I'm totally 100% for it.
The fkin hassle of having to sue the MIB when hit by one of these idiots was a nightmare, I won though that's the main thing.
tabetha
Old 21-06-2011, 07:57 PM
ossie cossie

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Here in OZ ( WA) we have compulsory third party insurance as part of our (rego) road tax. So we can not avoid paying it, i then also have fully comp policies on the cars as well. Just incase someone hasnt paid there road tax, or any other kind of accident happens.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
The fkin hassle of having to sue the MIB when hit by one of these idiots was a nightmare, I won though that's the main thing.
tabetha
fundamental flaw is it wont stop uninsured motorists.

it makes no difference if you have no insurance, no tax or no mot or no license, any one or all of those will flag up on the ANPR database just the same.

If your a criminal, you will know the best local routes to avoid the fixed ANPR cameras and the quietest routes in terms of coppers, so i cant see how this will reduce it any more.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:50 PM
dazzle740
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How on earth is making it compulsary for everyone to insure their car sorned or not going to make the minority who do not have insurance in the first place from now on get insurance er I don't f$&king think so!!!!!
I own a saph which currently has no running gear oh and no engine in it so there fore I have it sorned, now I have to insure it as if it were on the road !!!!!!!
So no I am not 'for it' at all.
Old 21-06-2011, 09:53 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by dazzle740
How on earth is making it compulsary for everyone to insure their car sorned or not going to make the minority who do not have insurance in the first place from now on get insurance er I don't f$&king think so!!!!!
I own a saph which currently has no running gear oh and no engine in it so there fore I have it sorned, now I have to insure it as if it were on the road !!!!!!!
So no I am not 'for it' at all.
as long as its sorned off road you don't need insurance on it.

Trending Topics

Old 21-06-2011, 09:54 PM
dazzle740
PassionFord Regular

Ooooops got wrong end of the stick (as per usual) lol, thoe to be fair I still can't see how this will work as if they not insured now how is this going to change ???
Old 21-06-2011, 09:55 PM
dazzle740
PassionFord Regular

Cossie dave dree I know now classic case of brain not in gear first..
Old 21-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Fucking reporters are all bellends when it comes to this story, it was on the radio earlier about ALL vehicles MUST have insurance.
Really emotive piece, then at the end they sort of quietly mention "well unless its SORN, then its not a problem at all"

Fuck me the general public must be fucking thick if they fall for this shite all the time and get wound up over fuck all!
Old 21-06-2011, 10:06 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by dazzle740
Cossie dave dree I know now classic case of brain not in gear first..
lol i feel like that too and im just about to leave home for my nightshift at work !!

Yeah it's still a hassle because people like me might have more than 1 vechicle in their name,

I own a vw scirocco and a mk1 capri, a road registered ktm, a peugeot 406 and a 3 dr cossie and its a nightmare keeping on top of all the sorns. As i sometimes mislay the reminders etc.

I agree i dont see how it makes any difference by enforcing this new cashfund policy.
Old 22-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

So what if you have a garage/garden full of cars that you dont use. Does this mean you have to have them all insurered?
Old 22-06-2011, 07:24 AM
pabloXR
TA 2008 2009 2012

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18 yr old - fully legal
car purchase £800
car insurance £2000
road tax £125
mot £100

Total £3025

18 yr old - totally illegal
car purchase £400
gets caught and looses car
fine £400
banned (but doesn't have a license anyway)

Total £800

If he gets caught 3 times a year he's still financially better off....

As long as the fines and penalties for no insurance are substancially lower than the cost of insurance they will NEVER change anything.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:08 AM
ezz168
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by pabloXR
18 yr old - fully legal
car purchase £800
car insurance £2000
road tax £125
mot £100

Total £3025

18 yr old - totally illegal
car purchase £400
gets caught and looses car
fine £400
banned (but doesn't have a license anyway)

Total £800

If he gets caught 3 times a year he's still financially better off....

As long as the fines and penalties for no insurance are substancially lower than the cost of insurance they will NEVER change anything.
i agree was saying to a mate whos insurance tripled its got to the point now cheaper to drive without tax insurance as said £200/400 pound car £300 fine is nothing compared to buying and running costs of being legal and law abiding
Old 22-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by ezz168
i agree was saying to a mate whos insurance tripled its got to the point now cheaper to drive without tax insurance as said £200/400 pound car £300 fine is nothing compared to buying and running costs of being legal and law abiding
Problem is once you are caught a couple of times, you'll never get insurance again at anything like sensible money as they hate IN10s on your driving record, and once you are well known to the police for doing it dont be surprised if you get caught a lot more.

Not a course of action I would recomend personally, easier just to pay the insurance IMHO

I agree though that the fines should be MUCH higher, like a couple of grand, to make it even more clearly worth getting insurance, and they shouldnt be means tested either, as insurance isnt!

Last edited by Chip; 22-06-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:14 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by tabetha
tabetha
Heres another Jackanory lol.

On another note.. I agree though it would be good to make sure all the cars are insured... But the media have blown it all out of proportion
Old 22-06-2011, 08:28 AM
s2turbsZVH
Will it ever end !!!!!!!

So in summary then nothing has changed - if its SORN it dont matter - same as before !!
Old 22-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by s2turbsZVH
So in summary then nothing has changed - if its SORN it dont matter - same as before !!
Well something has changed, as if its not SORN its now an issue.

But for any of us with longterm offroad projects etc, it wont effect us.

Here is a scenario that will effect people and that I suspect will be common though.

I own Car A
It is taxed insured and MOT'd

I buy Car B, it is taxed and MOT'd
I transfer my insurance to it

I but Car A up for sale.
Someone buys car A a couple of weeks later.

I get sent an 80 quid fine because Car A wasnt SORN and it wasnt insured during the couple of weeks that I was selling it.

Last edited by Chip; 22-06-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:37 AM
RstAaron.

The problem with 'compulsory insurance' is if you buy a new car and swap your insurance over when you still have your old car with tax on it you will have to sorn it. You can get a refund on your tax but it will mean more hassle when you try and sell as people will only want to put tax on a car when they aren't going to lose the best part of a months tax! Ok it's a minor inconvinience but still.
Old 22-06-2011, 08:38 AM
RstAaron.

Damn you chip! Beat me to it lol
Old 22-06-2011, 08:40 AM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

It they had seance the would take them to court fine them and make them pay the government a 12 month insurance at court !
Old 22-06-2011, 08:41 AM
ezz168
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Chip
Problem is once you are caught a couple of times, you'll never get insurance again at anything like sensible money as they hate IN10s on your driving record, and once you are well known to the police for doing it dont be surprised if you get caught a lot more.

Not a course of action I would recomend personally, easier just to pay the insurance IMHO

I agree though that the fines should be MUCH higher, like a couple of grand, to make it even more clearly worth getting insurance, and they shouldnt be means tested either, as insurance isnt!
agreed id rather just pay up or not drive but some criminal types just dont care the law meens nothing to them and thay arnt scared of going to prison so it will not stop alot of uinsured driving ie criminal types who buy 100 quaders to drive about but it changes nothing for me as i sorn when not useing car enyways
Old 22-06-2011, 08:43 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt apply to northern ireland as i had to ring the DVA when getting reg transfered over and she said not to worry it only applies to mainland.

Hopefully the guy will be taking the car next week anyway so i wont need to worry at all
Old 22-06-2011, 08:48 AM
GINGExR2 T

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Will it really make a difference????

Theres a guy in the next street to me who is 59-60, never had a liesence, but has always driven a car of some sort, even to the point now were he puts the log book in his brothers name (has a liesence but doesn't drive) insures it as has brother pays TAX and MOT's the car. The best part, his brother doesn't even know he doing it.

Now how is any change in the law going to stop people like that!!!!!!!!

If a car is road legal, it doesn't mean that the driver is.

Piss's me off

Ginger
Old 22-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Chip

ginge, just cause a law doesnt tackle one very specific instance doesnt mean it isnt worth having.

when people start pretending to be other people you are pretty fucked really for catching them unless the police happen to arrest them for something else to know their identity.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
exactly, and the fines need to be rigidly enforced. The current system is a joke. The scum cunt gets said fine, pays nothing, it goes through the private debt company on 2 6 month cycles. he still doesnt pay, it ends with a warrant for his arrest and eventually a couple years down the road when they catch him (they wont smash door down for magistrates fines sadly) he gets dragged to court and ends up with a payment order attached to his benefits of £5 a week, ie fuck all.

court appointed baliffs have the power to force entry for court fines but it is used as a last resort. eg in staffordshire last year for thousands of unpaid fines it was used 3 times

with CHAV cunts they should have booted his door down the moment they realised he wouldnt pay, taken his plasma tv, taken his playstation, xbox etc and taken all his nice things. oh and keep returning to take the items again if he replaces them with money gained through crime.

unless you hurt these people in a way they understand then they wont stand a chance of changing.

another solution is to stop ALL benefits for those with outstanding court fines who are not making payments. You refuse to set up a payment plan and stick to it, you lose your dole money....

there are plenty of ways we could as a society stamp down on these people without even having to use violence or violating any important human rights but the powers at be are too pussy and weak to do it as it would cost a lot yet take a few years to see any benefits, ie might not win them loads of votes.

oh do you know whats really pathetic?? Apparently having access to the internet is now a "human right" so baliffs cant take the sole computer in the house from a criminal scum bag?? how fucking pathetic is that??? Surely you justify it by the fact that pretty much every library in the country has free/cheap internet and just make said scum cunt walk his fat ass down the library if he wants the internet.... probably find its against his rights now to make him have to walk any distance to access such a public service too

what a joke of a country we live in.

Originally Posted by GINGExR2 T
.Theres a guy in the next street to me who is 59-60, never had a liesence, but has always driven a car of some sort, even to the point now were he puts the log book in his brothers name (has a liesence but doesn't drive) insures it as has brother pays TAX and MOT's the car. The best part, his brother doesn't even know he doing it.
grass the cunt by giving very specific information to the coppers. eventually the traffic cops WILL be bothered and repeatedly target him. He can use a fucking bus like other old folk
Old 22-06-2011, 06:48 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of flaws sadly, it's a pity it can't be linked via camera at the filling stations so that only insured can draw fuel, as suggested by someone else on here recently, but then pikeys would just steal more.
They should be able to crush your car for no insurance and lock you up for a year, but then the law abiders pay again for the hotel treatment.
Dvla records still have 6 cars that I have scrapped, and sent off V5 for over the years(25+), all still showing as unlicensed, so I await the court summonses for these being uninsured ?, I can't declare them sorn as they aren't and don't have the V5 details, I can't wait.
tabetha
Old 22-06-2011, 10:18 PM
dojj

The dvla wrote to me several years ago now telling me I hadn't sorn'd a car and that I was being fined for it
I wrote back saying that if the car had been scraped and they hadn't realised for 3 years why were they worried now that I wasn't going to pay the fine?
They wrote back an said they would clamp the vehicle if I didnt pay the fine
ibwrote back saying they were welcome to come and find the vehicle that I'd scraped 3 years ago
Old 23-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Cal Jones
Part of the Furniture

The easiest way to sort this whole insurance thing out, and to make people pay it, would be to lower the prices, not make a new law!!! If the prices were low no one would drive uninsured! This law will sureley just encourage people to not get insurance! This is stupid!! I'm dont agree obviously with stinging with no insurance but what are people meant to do! Were not all football players!!
Old 23-06-2011, 08:23 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

It's just the usual nonsense isn't it. Enforcing a law on the basis that it will reduce crime, where as in reality it will just inconvenience the rest of us.
Old 23-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Cal Jones
Part of the Furniture

I just think the country's fucked, the way you cant pass your test and drive the car you want around, the way you have to choose a car that cheap to insure rather than choose a car you reasly like and want!!! Ive been driving 4 years and still can't insure my xr3i !!!!
Old 23-06-2011, 09:14 AM
rs-tuner

Originally Posted by Cal Jones
The easiest way to sort this whole insurance thing out, and to make people pay it, would be to lower the prices, not make a new law!!! If the prices were low no one would drive uninsured! This law will sureley just encourage people to not get insurance! This is stupid!! I'm dont agree obviously with stinging with no insurance but what are people meant to do! Were not all football players!!
That's just stupid. There is a reason car insurance costs so much if you can't afford to drive legally than stay off the road until you can.
Old 23-06-2011, 10:03 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rs-tuner
That's just stupid. There is a reason car insurance costs so much if you can't afford to drive legally than stay off the road until you can.
Although I see your point, that isn't necessarily a perfect way for things to be.

Where I grew up, there was very little in the way of public transport and zero jobs locally. So, for the majority of people, using a car to get to work was essential. At the time I passed my test, I could afford to insure the car (was till over £1k mind). Now, the same car would probably cost about £3k to insure, which for a lot of people could make it difficult to afford. If they can't afford it, they can't have a job and they just end up sat on their arses doing nothing.

I'm a great believer in people doing it properly, and paying their way, but the costs are just ridiculous for everyone, not just youngsters. The insurance industry needs a good kick up the arse to be honest.

This law, which undoubtedly will have cost millions of tax payers £££, will do nothing to prevent crime, so it's a total waste of time and money in my eyes...
Old 23-06-2011, 10:21 AM
cjwood555

The reason car insurance costs so much is because all the polcies are underwritten, ultimately, by banks - who are trying desperately to make up for their poor performance in recent years and restablish themselves into a position on unequivocal world dominance.

(or for those who don't see banks and the biggest force of evil on the planet - PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT).
Old 24-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Cal Jones
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by rs-tuner
Yea there may be a reason but I'm quite right in saying it should be cheaper why would you want people to stay of the road? It is unfair I think how some people can't experience driving and getting around themselfs just because they can't aford an insurance policy !
Old 24-06-2011, 06:51 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Cal Jones
Yea there may be a reason but I'm quite right in saying it should be cheaper why would you want people to stay of the road? It is unfair I think how some people can't experience driving and getting around themselfs just because they can't aford an insurance policy !
driving is a privilege, not a right

everyone wants to live a footballer and do a shitty job at tesco so you can't have everything