General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DIY Window tint, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 30-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default DIY Window tint, worth it?

Hello,

So some of you know i got a ZS now and it does look abit shit without the tints, so is it easy to do this yourself in a cheap way or better to leave it to someone who knows?

Many Thanks Eigdoog.
Old 30-05-2011, 04:07 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've tried it a few times on the back doors of vans and never had any success, but then again ive not got much patience for stuff like that.
Old 30-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

lol does it keep coming off or something? maybe it dont stick or the bubbles are everywhere.

Does anyone know a rough price to get it done by someone?
Old 30-05-2011, 04:13 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

just bubbles every time i tried it, probably just me though.
Old 30-05-2011, 04:23 PM
imnoteasy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theway to do it is.

cut it to shape or as close as you can, bigger ideally,

then use a spray bottle like you do the flowers with and mix, a drop of johnsons baby shampoo with water,

then it should spray like a film then and not like water beads

put the tint on the outside of the window still with the film on the glue, but the glue side facing towards you

then get a hot air gun and heat it until it moulds to the window shape, allow to cool while you clean the window and spray with the soloution above.

take film off the glue side and spray this,

then apply the tint to the inside of the glass and it should fit the window shape (hopefully)

squeege out the water from the middle outwards while heating gently.

if it front windows youll need to take the window trim off, and dont use windows for around 48 hrs
Old 30-05-2011, 04:30 PM
ST24MK2
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above, get a felt squeegee off ebay (about £2) or use something soft to avoid marking/scratching the tint, heatgun or hairdrier is a must to shape it to the glass unless its a perfect flat piece of glass (which i doubt it is) you will get lines, crinkles and bubbles without a heatgun, much easier if you take the glass out of the car first
Old 30-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i had a go years back with my first car, i did take all the windows out to do it tho - i was banned at the time
Old 30-05-2011, 04:52 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

As above, you need to heat shrink it to the glass. I've done a few cars now and am by no means a pro, getting quite good at it though! If you don't have loads of patience or a steady hand then I wouldn't even bother attempting lol. Have a look on youtube at videos of heat shrinking, will give you an idea of what's involved
Old 30-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Im not going to take the glass out lol i dont have time for things like that.

Nor will it get put back together right...

So its take your time and do it right i guess.

Thanks for the help! I think ill get some and do it!

Anyone know what % i can have? I think its 25% at the front and anything at the back, does this included the back window?
Old 30-05-2011, 05:01 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

You can't put anything on the front side windows as you will find that factory glass is tinted as standard and is at the legal limit, but you can put what you like on the back side and back window. I've got dark smoke and you cant see in, visibility out is still ok though.
Old 30-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Originally Posted by RichieST
You can't put anything on the front side windows as you will find that factory glass is tinted as standard and is at the legal limit, but you can put what you like on the back side and back window. I've got dark smoke and you cant see in, visibility out is still ok though.
My focus had tinted windows and the front was tinted so that i could see it but in the MG its all clear like there is not anything on them. Are you sure there would be a factory tint?
Old 30-05-2011, 06:35 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you put any film whatsoever on the front screen, or front side windows, then it's technically illegal. Manufacturers get away with putting a variety of tints on the front sides, but for whatever reason you can't alter it. In my experience you're very unlikely to get pulled for very lightly smoked front windows. You can do what you like on the rear, and rear side windows.

I've also never seen a DIY tint job any where near as good as the pros do, so wouldn't recommend trying it for your first time. If you're set on trying it yourself, you have to make sure the glass is scrupulously clean, any tiny bits of dirt will show up. You also have to be in a dust free environment when you do it - I dispair when I see mobile fitters doing it in the middle of a field at a car show!
Old 30-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
If you put any film whatsoever on the front screen, or front side windows, then it's technically illegal. Manufacturers get away with putting a variety of tints on the front sides, but for whatever reason you can't alter it. In my experience you're very unlikely to get pulled for very lightly smoked front windows. You can do what you like on the rear, and rear side windows.

I've also never seen a DIY tint job any where near as good as the pros do, so wouldn't recommend trying it for your first time. If you're set on trying it yourself, you have to make sure the glass is scrupulously clean, any tiny bits of dirt will show up. You also have to be in a dust free environment when you do it - I dispair when I see mobile fitters doing it in the middle of a field at a car show!
Only if i can find it really cheap then will i give it ago! Do you know the cost to get it done by a pro?
Old 30-05-2011, 08:19 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Pretty sure a few years back I paid £70 just for the rear window, with the side windows to be done as well it was around £150, think that was right!
Old 30-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Originally Posted by RichieST
Pretty sure a few years back I paid £70 just for the rear window, with the side windows to be done as well it was around £150, think that was right!
Wow, when this is under a tenner

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-Tinted-W...#ht_2456wt_907

and all i have to do is put it on myself, might give it ago for a tenner.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:28 PM
imnoteasy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheap tint is a waste of money, might aswell throw your money at the pidgeons
Old 30-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Originally Posted by imnoteasy
cheap tint is a waste of money, might aswell throw your money at the pidgeons
I offen do! lol As long as it stays on there for a year or two i dont care, i dont plan to keep the car for years on end.

I might not do anything yet or just paint the back window in black hammerite as it seems the quick easy thing to do