General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

installing a dawes boost controller on a mondeo td

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2011, 06:30 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts
Default installing a dawes boost controller on a mondeo td

as above i want to fit a dawes boost controller on my mk2 td mondeo, they say putting them in-line helps spool up but originally there was just a straight pipe between the turbo and actuator, is this going to help or hinder me fitting it in-line or will it be better if i tap off the hose going between the turbo and actuator leaving boost pressure going to the actuator till it reaches my required limit???

also fitting it in-line will cause me to lengthen the hose between the turbo and actuator is this going to have any adverse affects too

i'm no turbo buff so some help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by burnzy; 15-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 16-05-2011, 07:45 AM
burnzy
burnzy

To the top!!!
Old 16-05-2011, 11:28 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

why do you want to alter the factory settings?
what other mods have you done to necessitate fitting one?

steve
Old 16-05-2011, 11:58 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

BOOM!
Old 16-05-2011, 12:04 PM
burnzy
burnzy

cheers for the reply

i want to up the boost from 15psi to 18psi, i'll increase the fueling to suit (mechanical injection pump), nothing major in the way of mods, i'll change the intercooler u bend from rubber to silicone for security as there supposed to blow at around 20psi and above, i'v read percybiguns posts on google and he says you can run 18psi saftely without blowing the head gasket or straining the turbo, i no i'm not looking for massive figures here i just wanted a little bit more extra poke thats all, and fitting a boost controller is alot easier than adjusting the actuator arm as it's hidden behind the inlet manifold

i no you'll probably try and persuade me it's not worth the hassle ect, but i'm just bored with it and wanted a play about, i'v only done it as it's a cheap DIY mod, and with the miles i do and the cost of my insurance and my hight it's basically all i can drive atm
Old 16-05-2011, 12:06 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
BOOM!
it isn't gunna go boom with an extra 3psi
Old 16-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Escow-Van
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just get twiddling your actuator arm. Might be worth fitting boot gauge, even temporarily, to make sure you're not over boosting after making any changes.

Talking of insurance too though, in the unlikely event they do a detailed inspection of your car after a crash, there's no way to spot an adjusted actuator arm.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:10 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles
it isn't gunna go boom with an extra 3psi
Will you stop at 3 though!
Old 16-05-2011, 02:38 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by Escow-Van
I'd just get twiddling your actuator arm. Might be worth fitting boot gauge, even temporarily, to make sure you're not over boosting after making any changes.

Talking of insurance too though, in the unlikely event they do a detailed inspection of your car after a crash, there's no way to spot an adjusted actuator arm.
i'll just declare it, well atleast get a quote first, hopefully it wont be too much as every time i adjust it it'll be a good 1,1/2 hours to take it all appart i can't remember if the exhaust manifold has to come off first as there both on the same side, it's just a pain basically

and i already have the boost gauge fitted to keep an eye on things

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Will you stop at 3 though!
yes i will, i may seem it sometimes but i'm actually not stupid , i'm not intending on spending big money on it, just a few subtle touches to improve it, i'll be happy running 18psi and keeping it there, i wan't reliability as well as it being a little quicker
Old 16-05-2011, 03:20 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Certainly seems to be a lot of faff for very little gain. Can you manually increase the fueling on these via the pump?
Old 16-05-2011, 04:00 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Originally Posted by RichieST
Certainly seems to be a lot of faff for very little gain. Can you manually increase the fueling on these via the pump?
tbh it took me 3hrs max to get the boost gauge plumbed in and into the dash and also get the bleed valve witch is curently on the car in, but i'm having boost spike issues (i'm a proper turbo newbie) so read up more about it and found that a dawes type boost controller is about the closest you'll get to reliable boost before paying for a electronic boost controller witch on this car is just pointless, so i literally have to unbolt the intercooler and plumb the new boost controller in

and yes literally have to undo a locknut and adjust a screw to adjust the on boost fuelling, being a diesel it's not too hard to gauge neither, smoke in the rear view mirror = turn it down a bit