General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Focus St d-cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Nickybricky
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus St d-cat

Hi to all I'm new on here hope I'm in the right place Can some1 help me I want to d-cat my 08 plate focus St 2.5 but people tell me by doing this it will put your engine management light on is this true? If so is there anyway of stopping this by buying something or a little trick of the trade? Hope some1 can help cheers
Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We can sort it during a remap
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM
b_kennedy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hi Nickybricky.
I've been looking into this myself and from what I've heard - Yes a remap will stop the light activating full stop. However, The light will only occasionally come on without remapping and it doesnt activate 'Limp Home' mode. So basically its just annoying light until you remap.

If I'm wrong im sure someone will correct me and I havent decat'ed mine just yet so its just what I've researched.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

I have a de cat fitted to mine, made a noticeable difference as well.

The light can be turned off via a re-map like James has mentioned.

You can also get a cheater thing wired to the sensor that makes the ECU think the cat is still fitted so the light does not come on.

I have software on my laptop to plug into the car and turn the warning light off but it comes back on again after 200-300 miles. I just read my fault codes now and then and clear the fault for the cat just to make sure the light is not on for another reason.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Nickybricky
Virgin

Hey guys thanks for all the replys I really didn't know what to as I been told different things I really want to d cat my focus at a local remap place he told me it would could an extra Ł290 to put a chip in the Ecu to sort this out I think he is just taking the pi** lol Carlos you say a cheater thing where will I get my hands on one of them? Also with d-cat bet your St sounds mint! Cheers everyone
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My dreamscience remap deactivates the second sensor so it won't bring the light on.

Carlos, did it sound much different after having the decat fitted? Thinking about one of those cobra sports cats on mine as they aren't too badly priced. Just can't be arsed with the hassle of swapping a decat around every year for MOT!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This is a cracking build thread for an ST mate https://passionford.com/forum/restor...nce-visit.html

He mentioned when I asked about the engine light. He called it a cheater boss for Ł35, not sure where to get one though.

Sounded better with the de cat fitted. Pops and flames like a good un now! Feels to pull and rev more freely as well. I have kept my old cat as I am not paying out the price people want for a sport cat! Pain to refit for mot time but thats the nature of the beast really. I'd rather spend 5 minutes a year swapping it over than fork out hundreds on a sport cat!
Mines due mot next month so I will fit it on the day and go and give it a hard run to get the cat nice and hot ready for the mot.

I have the dreamscience DSci platform for my laptop so I can only clear the fault code which comes back after a bit. I can live with that.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Nickybricky
Virgin

Hey that red focus is stunning fair play but I use my as a everyday car son just the basics for me.

How much did you pay for your dreamscience and where from? I could put up with turning the light off than pay Ł500 for sports cat no thanks full flow please

The Mot side I'm not to worried about that it's only a cat or unless u mate is mr Mot lol
What mods have you done Carlos and what brand did u use bhp? Cheers nick
Old 10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mines a daily driver as well mate.

I got my Dreamscience kit here http://www.dreamscience-automotive.c...l-products.php as it was on sale just after xmas.

In order I fitted
Baily dump valve
Scorpion back box 4" tips
Scorpion De-cat pipe
DSci platform and JR Panel filter
( had a bit of trouble with the remap after though as they clutch decided it didn't like the increase in torque and started slipping and had a slight misfire under load so fitted)
RS Spark plugs (stopped the misfire)
RS clutch kit (stopped the slipping)
At a rough guess I would expect 270-280 bhp now after reading what mods/power other ST's are running but not had her on a rolling road yet to back this up. Will admit it felt so much better and faster with it all done but already used to it and want more! Pulls from low down all the way up, its great!

Obviously the figures will vary from car to car due to big tolerances with the engines from manufacture. Some gain better than other, others not gain as much with the same mods.

When funds allow Dreamscience CAIS
Airtech intercooler
Turbo down pipe
Download MOD X from Dreamscience website.
That should see me around 300-310 bhp.

After the remap I do get better MPG. Got 38mpg from Santa pod back to Liverpool at a steady 65 mph! But round town etc about 23-26 mpg. More with some motorway driving added as well.

Last edited by Carlos-Titx; 10-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

http://www.cobrasport.com/exhaust/Ford/Focus+ST+225/12/0/0

This is the sports cat I was thinking about getting (right at bottom of page). Not too bad price compared to others, seem quite popular on the st owners club too.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That is a good price! The ones I have seen are more Ł350+

No way i am paying that! But the Cobra is a decent price. No wonder its popular.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:34 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Reckon I'll twist the wife's arm for my birthday, would be rude not to stick a downpipe on at the same time too wouldn't it really
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RichieST
Reckon I'll twist the wife's arm for my birthday, would be rude not to stick a downpipe on at the same time too wouldn't it really
haha might as well mate. Just one thing, buy a new set of bolts for the turbo down pipe as these have a tendency to snap. Saves messing about heating up the bolts and being left with out them. Makes it a bit easier not having to try and save the old ones.

Seen it mentioned a few times, don't know my self as not got one yet.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ok cheers will keep that in mind! I'll get the bolts but won't be me fitting it, knowing me it would only end in tears!