General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any ideas as to what i can do with this..

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2011, 04:36 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas as to what i can do with this..

ST24 bumper, there no decent ones anywhere within 100 miles of me so buying a replacement is out of the question which id do.

Mines been bumped by one of the previous owners, theyve filled it, piss can sprayed it and then its split again.

Trouble being i cant get the filler off it without making a bigger mess than ive already got to deal with, and ive tried plastic welding it but the back of it isnt flush its all wavey and up and down and just splits again. Its got another crack on the bottom lip but not visable so not too fussed about that one, this crack is under the headlight so it goes right from the edge of the bumper down.

Its going to take me ages to sand down the 17 coats of piss can lacquer and paint, its stone chipped to fuck aswell, ive spent about 3 hours flatting it back with up to 240 grade paper and i tried a little paint on it earlier and you can still see the layers of lacquer/stone chips.

Any tips? im usually good with bodywork but this has miffed me, id love to wrap the whole car but it will probably cost more than the car is worth, id have a go doing it myself but it would probably turn to shit thinking about buying a small piece of wrap (enough to do the bonnet) and then have a go, as thats a pretty wavey curvey shape.

Last edited by carlfiesta999; 22-04-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 22-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Omawarisan
Regular Contributor

Do a DIY Fibreglass mesh job on it. Similar to what Edd China did on the Wheeler Dealers 840 BMW (youtube). That worked a treat and didn't cost alot....
Old 22-04-2011, 04:48 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

just buy a second hand bumper the right colour is what i would do, save yourself hours and hours to do something more pleasurable
Old 22-04-2011, 04:53 PM
kxkid

just a quick tip, ford bumpers are notoriously crap for being "un-plastic-weldable" a solution would be to take it off, make a metal plate across the rear of the split, countersink 2 rivets in the front of the bumper, therefore holding the bumper in place, fibreglass over the crack, then fill it. we have this problem all the time at work with fiestas. our customers are too tight to just buy a replacement bumper. and were too lazy to travel 100's of miles to buy a replacement lol.
Old 22-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

try this get some good quality mesh get the bumper crack lined up heat the mesh hot enough to melt in, then roller /press it in hot bridgeing the crack ,have a practice first as its a bit of an art but works well.ho use a very warm roller stops the heat being sucked out of the mesh as you work it

Last edited by Chaz888; 22-04-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 22-04-2011, 06:51 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for the tips. Got pissed off with it and left it, the problem ive got i behind the crack it isnt a even surface, nor is it plastic, its wavey filler but i dont want to chip the filler out as i havent got a clue how much filler they used, ill have a play and put up my efforts,

Im wrapping the car, ive decided, had a mate come over and did the bonnet with some spare he had which cost me all of Ł10, ive just purchased 2 metres x 1.5 metres off the same guy he got it off on ebay, doing the roof and boot/spoiler to match the bonnet (carbon fibre), not sure what colour to do the rest of the car? im thinking matt silver like that focus RS from central day?

Old 22-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

focus idear sounds good.
Old 22-04-2011, 07:46 PM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

People that say you cant wrap unless your experienced or practice a lot, what a load of bollocks, i think they say it so people think they cant do it that why money stays in the car wrapping game.

Ive fitted a sunstrip before but this stuff was even easier, all you need is a heatgun, felt squeegee and a stanley knife/blade, wash the surface, dry it properly lay it on, smooth it out you can even pull it off and re stick it where your not happy then just tuck it under and around the edges..piece of piss, ill get some photos up when ive done it, just spent last hour stripping all the door panels and trim off ready to take the door handles off etc, need the car daily in the week for work so got to keep it useable will do it bit by bit, i can see the door handles being tricky and a couple of other little bits, ill take photos as i do it and put a post up in the relevant section