General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo mk3 Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2011, 03:38 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mondeo mk3 Handbrake

My handbrake used to be awesome on the mondeo, firts click or 2 held it on any hill.

Now it seems sh1te but still only goes to 1 or 2 clicks.

Also seems sometimes its only braking properly on one side or def more so on one side.

Is it likely to be a siezed cable or caliper on these?

Car is 2000 but a Mk3 model

Out of interest also where is the adjustment on the handbrake cable for a mondeo? As on focus and fiesta etc there is access to a 10mm screw you adjust but on the mondeo around the handbrake is hard plastic

Thanks
Old 29-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
My handbrake used to be awesome on the mondeo, firts click or 2 held it on any hill.

Now it seems sh1te but still only goes to 1 or 2 clicks.

Also seems sometimes its only braking properly on one side or def more so on one side.

Is it likely to be a siezed cable or caliper on these?

Car is 2000 but a Mk3 model

Out of interest also where is the adjustment on the handbrake cable for a mondeo? As on focus and fiesta etc there is access to a 10mm screw you adjust but on the mondeo around the handbrake is hard plastic

Thanks
take the wheel off and get some big pliers and wd 40 and free off and move about the bracket on the caliper ,these seize up and cause the hand brake to stick on ,i think they auto adjust on this mondeo ,read about a recall on them when they were new
Old 29-03-2011, 03:44 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

They commonly sieze rear calipers, my old mk3 mondeo had 2 in the space of 18 months.
Old 29-03-2011, 03:45 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by RichieST
They commonly sieze rear calipers, my old mk3 mondeo had 2 in the space of 18 months.
I have replaced one side about a year ago. Other side was fine then tho havent looked at it since.

Just wanted to know if was a common issue before starting into it

Cheers
Old 29-03-2011, 03:45 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Twins
take the wheel off and get some big pliers and wd 40 and free off and move about the bracket on the caliper ,these seize up and cause the hand brake to stick on ,i think they auto adjust on this mondeo ,read about a recall on them when they were new
Cheers
Old 29-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

we dod this every couple of months as ours were replaced ,and one went a bit sticky so keep em lubricated
Old 29-03-2011, 04:03 PM
.Ross.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aye funny as the old mans X-type has the same problem, I un-seized it a few month back but the problem is terminal .. Watch it as the rear brake drags and heats the rim up real well ..
Old 29-03-2011, 04:03 PM
daviddunlop83

we dod this every couple of months as ours were replaced ,and one went a bit sticky so keep em lubricated
Lol i would say that might be the issue with mine then as it hasnt been lubricated in nearly 4 years or 60k

Pads and discs changed one about a year ago just.

Do you lubricat the bit the handbrake cable pulls on where it goes into the caliper just?
Old 29-03-2011, 04:36 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a recall on these when they first came out, it replaced the whole handbrake unit, if you want to adjust the cable,the adjuster is under the car, you will need to drop the exhaust down and lower the heat shield to get to the adjuster
Old 29-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think they auto adjust on this mondeo ,read about a recall on them when they were new
They do, and there was a recall
Old 29-03-2011, 08:09 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine's doing exactly the same! I'm fitting discs and pads (and ST calipers - woo) on thursday, so was hoping to free it off and coat it in lube!
Old 29-03-2011, 08:47 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just had mine un-siezed on mine, had calipers about 13 month ago.

My boss has had 4 new calipers in 3 years on his run around.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The calipers seize as said, disconnect the cable from the caliper and spray the lever with WD40 or Plusgas and work it back and forth with a pair of vice grips on the lever. Also early Mk3's had an automatic adjuster on the handbrake lever that is crap and was recalled as said. Some slipped through though (like mine). Best thing you can do is convert it to the later handbrake lever without the adjuster together with the later type handbrake cables with the adjuster on the cables. I did this to mine and it was a million times better.

EDIT: see this link http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?...Variants_-_Mk3

Last edited by Cozziekid; 29-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 30-03-2011, 09:00 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Cozziekid
The calipers seize as said, disconnect the cable from the caliper and spray the lever with WD40 or Plusgas and work it back and forth with a pair of vice grips on the lever. Also early Mk3's had an automatic adjuster on the handbrake lever that is crap and was recalled as said. Some slipped through though (like mine). Best thing you can do is convert it to the later handbrake lever without the adjuster together with the later type handbrake cables with the adjuster on the cables. I did this to mine and it was a million times better.

EDIT: see this link http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?...Variants_-_Mk3
Cheers, so if it has a nut under the car its the later type?

I have never looked TBH but the handbrake is still tight, one or 2 clicks and you cant oull it anymore but its shite at holding on a hill so i presume its the caliper siezed

Do the cables themselfs ever sieze?
Old 30-03-2011, 09:04 AM
daviddunlop83

So if mine has this as in picture its the better one?

Name:  Bc8MDgmkKGrHgoH-DwEjlLlfO9BKcKkpl8g_12.jpg
Views: 4767
Size:  14.1 KB
Old 30-03-2011, 09:28 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Mondeo mk3 lessons for you all to learn from.

Early cars had an automatic adjuster built into the handbrake machanism, it's inside the guts of the hand rake so you can't really fix it if it goes wrong.

Later cars, from as early as 2002 had the manual adjuters fitted to the rear as shown in the picture you can see the nut on the end of the cable.

If you change between one or the other then in some cases the ends of the cables won't fit so you'll need to buy new ones. Yes there are 2 cables, one for each side.

The cables have a fairly serious design flaw where the road dirt and shit from under the car gets into the outer sheathing and slowly corroded thebouter metal sheathing to the extent that it grips the cable and won't let go, this is commonly misdiagnosed as a stuck handbrake caliper.

Changing the cables is something i do once a yea. As for Ł15 it's easy to do and cheaper than the handbrake caliper every year for the mot.

The calipers don't seize up in the same way that the older ford ones did like those fitted to the sierra/Granada so you shouldn't have these issues really.

The calipers are different for the estate and saloon/hatch due to the design or the rear suspension on the estate and are essentially "upsidedown" when you view them next to the hatch/saloon versions.

The auto cable handbrakes are generally self adjusting and self lubricating and don't need any work doing to them so before you all go and buy new handbrakes and calipers, check that the cables move freely inside the sheathing, you will need to get under the car for this and also be aware that some aftermarket cables won't actually fit the mondeo balancer bar end as their heads are too wide to fit into the adjuster slot so make sure you take your old one with you when you look for a new one.

You can open the adjuster bar up to force them in but this mayblead to a weakening of the bar metal as you open and close it again.

Any questions just ask here
Old 30-03-2011, 09:35 AM
daviddunlop83

Cheers dojj

Ill get it up on the ramp soon and first see if mine has the manual adjuster or auto adjust and see if the cables move freely.

Might also nip round to the mechanic and get him to fire it on his brake balance tester to see what side or both is causing the problem too.;
Old 31-03-2011, 06:53 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I had mine up in the air today to swap the discs and pads. I've got the earlier handbrake cable, but it seemed fine, as did the caliper, but - The lower of the two slider pins was jammed in the caliper, a bit of persuasion with a hammer, and refitting it with some copper grease and the handbrake works perfectly. Oh, and the ST calipers work really well too!!
Old 31-03-2011, 07:41 PM
dojj

so did you do some "before/after" stopping tests then dan?

hooked up to fancy machinery to test pedal pressure and stopping distances and whatnots?

or was it just the fact that you know they are so much better and it's the mod every mondeo owner should do first?

and did you tart them up first before you bolted them on?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM
daviddunlop83

Got the csar up on the ramp tonight and had a look.

It seems my car still has the automatic adjuster and that seems to be working fine and the calipers are free as well as the handbrake cables

The problem seems to be the caliper is maxed out so veyr little travel left for the handbrake, the pads arent that worn, i know the arent exactly new but surely the handbrake lever shouldnt be maxed out when the are worn like below?

New pads will hopefully cure the problem tho.

How does the self adjuster unadjust when you fit new pads or will it unadjust when i wind the calipers back in?

Here is some pics, i know the drop links are shagged and i have new ones on order fro, ford which ill fit when doing the pads again

Name:  37b446b4.jpg
Views: 3285
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  3337541d.jpg
Views: 2883
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  53452982.jpg
Views: 2752
Size:  118.9 KB

The dreaded self adjuster

Name:  01067dca.jpg
Views: 5574
Size:  33.3 KB
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Cozziekid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

First caliper looks slightly twisted and not square with the disc/pad, id be investigating that! Second caliper looks like its been refurbed/replaced not so long ago.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:55 AM
dojj

The first pic looks like the cable is at fault as the little gaitor abound the cable is all scrunched up. Did you actually leave the handbrake off and then pull the cables to see if they were free or was it just a quick visual check?

And seconded that one of the calipers is on the piss so you might want to be looking at the sliders to see if they are stuck or dried out.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:36 AM
daviddunlop83

One if the calipers was replaced about a year ago.

Those pictures where taken with the hand brake off.

I didn't remove the caliper but had a good fiddle with them.

If you wedged the lever until fully maxed out you could still turn the wheel if you tried hard enough

That's why I'm thinking as it looks like the cable is all scrunched up cause the caliper is maxed out and new pads may help?

I think it may just be the angle of the picture as i checked to see if the little bracket was bent.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 AM
daviddunlop83

Does the auto adjust thing in adjust when you wind the calipers back in?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM
dojj

It's the cable, unhook it from the adjuster, simply pull it slack and then unhook it and see if it moves in the sheathing or not
Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by dojj
so did you do some "before/after" stopping tests then dan? hooked up to fancy machinery to test pedal pressure and stopping distances and whatnots?

or was it just the fact that you know they are so much better and it's the mod every mondeo owner should do first?
No, it would only have been a fair test if it had been new/bedded in standard, versus new/bedded in ST brakes. But they are definitely miles better now! Although the handbrake's shagged - so looks like I need a cable or two!

and did you tart them up first before you bolted them on?
No, because I'm lazy! I chucked them in the parts washer, but couldn't be arsed to paint them. They'd already been painted before, and will only get crappy in a few months, so I didn't bother. They don't look to bad considering...

Name:  brakes.jpg
Views: 7048
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
dojj

Looks very nice dan

will it be coming to central day then?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Looks very nice dan

will it be coming to central day then?
No, I'll be in a hire car with the marquee in the back, lucky me!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have the same problem with ours, you have to really pull the hand brake up to get it to hold

Brian
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 AM
daviddunlop83

Changed the pads last night and the caliper lever is free etc.

The slider pin wasnt siezed but was stiff, maybe caused this to happen

Name:  65c78c87.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  50.9 KB

I also need to get the new rubber big for the pin below, ca you buy these seperate or do you need to buy the pin from ford and it comes with it?

Name:  6b958d8d.jpg
Views: 3678
Size:  69.7 KB

I think the fault is either with the auto adjust handbrake or the cable itself now so i think i will find the manual adjust handbrake and change it with new cables.

The level is still maxed out and the handbrake still doesnt grip.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM
dojj

If you want a manual adjust hand rake lever I've got one floating abot in the garage somewhere but those pins cone as a kit now from ford, I was fleeced for Ł40 when I needed a slider so try matt lewis first to see if he's got this sort of thing in his back pocket before going to the likes of ford as these are specifically ford only items.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
daviddunlop83

If you want a manual adjust hand rake lever I've got one floating abot in the garage somewhere but those pins cone as a kit now from ford, I was fleeced for Ł40 when I needed a slider so try matt lewis first to see if he's got this sort of thing in his back pocket before going to the likes of ford as these are specifically ford only items.
I noticed that company bigg red who do the seals and all do the wee rubber parts as part of a rear caliper set so im going to ring and see if they will sell them on thier own.

Tho if the slider pins are Ł40 the whole seal kit from bigg red is cheaper and covers both calipers so might as well just get that

PM me a price for the handbrake lever please
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM
daviddunlop83

Just got the rubber bits for the slider pins ordered from bigg red.

Got new ones all round. Ł13 delivered
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM
dojj

pm me your address and i'll dig it out and send it to you for the postage

it has been sitting around there for a while and i only bought it because it had a shiney button on it, but when i looked into doing the swap, i thought "can't be arsed" and filed it away on a shelf somewhere
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
daviddunlop83

pm me your address and i'll dig it out and send it to you for the postage

it has been sitting around there for a while and i only bought it because it had a shiney button on it, but when i looked into doing the swap, i thought "can't be arsed" and filed it away on a shelf somewhere
Shiny button? Do they all not have a alum type button?

My current one does.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM
dojj

they had 2 types, chrome button and aluminium button
Old 15-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Sorry to hijack your thread mate

We have fitted 2 handbrake cables today to my dads 2001 mondeo one from each caliper back to the horse shoe type thing and we made sure both rear calipers where free now its all done when we pull the handbrake lever up it still goes fairly high but holds will this take a few days to adjust its self or is there some where i can adjust it myself?

Brian
Old 15-04-2011, 11:14 PM
dojj

pull it up and down a few times if it's the auto adjuster one and it will find it's own level

if it doesn't then it's fucked and you need to fit the manual adjutment one
Old 16-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Cheer's Dojj

If i have to convet it to manual adjustment is this easy to do?

Brian
Old 16-04-2011, 07:15 AM
shalon
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the adjuster is covered by a heatshield under the tunnel if the caliper levers are working chances are the cables could be seized

Quick Reply: Mondeo mk3 Handbrake