General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo mk3 Handbrake

Search this Thread

Old 16-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shalon
the adjuster is covered by a heatshield under the tunnel if the caliper levers are working chances are the cables could be seized
We removed the exhaust and then the heat shield yesturday and there is no adjuster under there just a horse shoe type bit where the 2 cables fit the the one from the hand brake lever, we replaced both rear hand brake cables and made sure the calipers where free and also the cable from the lever to the horse shoe type bit was done before xmas

Brian

Last edited by Brian; 16-04-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:28 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i'm going to the garage

i may be a while
Old 16-04-2011, 10:10 AM
dojj

it appears that my mum has decided that she needed to tidy up, so the box that i had ready to post the handbrake to someone, all ready to go other that putting the address on, has now mysteriously vanished

obviously she hasn't moved it and has no idea where it was

and, typically for women folk, she's now out as "i was coming to see you but you wern't in" at the same time as i was coming to the other house

all i wanted to do was take a picture of the cable end to show you if it's the same as yours and if it was you wouldn't have to do anytihng

the haynes book of complicated mechanics says you have to remove the exhaust to get to it, which is funny because i did no such thing
Old 16-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichieST
They commonly sieze rear calipers, my old mk3 mondeo had 2 in the space of 18 months.
my old dears 02 reg is on it's 5'th n/side rear caliper. fuckin things

Apparently it's not that hard to upgrade to the later caliper (06 on?) which is the same as they use on one of the Jaguars too..
Old 23-04-2011, 05:56 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bit of an update and still got an issue

Thanks to dojj for sending me a new manual adjust handbrake lever

Fitted this today with new cables and adjusted it until the handbrake felt good.

Took the car for a drive and checked and when the handbrake is off the caliper is binding a bit. Loosened the adjuster nut off until the wheel spun freely.

But the problem is now when you pull the handbrake you can pull it right up to it touches the armrest and yes it works pretty well when its up there.

But surely this cant be right. If i adjust the nut to tighten it up it binds again

What could be cauing this?
Old 19-10-2011, 10:53 AM
eljay
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
Fascinating and educating thread.
Please, I've got one question. It was asked above but never replied to.....

"How is the auto-adjuster (if fitted) backed off?"

(I need to know this as my offside pads don't release properly, Caliper is new/fine & the lever returns to the stop when the cable is unhooked, so either :-....
(a) Cable Adjustment is required.
or
(b)Cable is seizing.
So I want to try "working the cable".....but if I do this, and I have an auto-adjuster, will I "rack-up" the adjuster and not be able to get the cable back on?
Old 19-10-2011, 10:57 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eljay
Hello all,
Fascinating and educating thread.
Please, I've got one question. It was asked above but never replied to.....

"How is the auto-adjuster (if fitted) backed off?"

(I need to know this as my offside pads don't release properly, Caliper is new/fine & the lever returns to the stop when the cable is unhooked, so either :-....
(a) Cable Adjustment is required.
or
(b)Cable is seizing.
So I want to try "working the cable".....but if I do this, and I have an auto-adjuster, will I "rack-up" the adjuster and not be able to get the cable back on?
When i took mine out i had a quick look at it and couldnt see anyway of adjusting it as such and from what i read there was so many issues with it once it starts to play up its best to replace it with the manual adjustment option.
Old 19-10-2011, 07:08 PM
dojj

there is no way to adjust it, it's all internal built into the mechanism and stuff

if you want to see if the cable is sticking then simply unhook the cable from the caliper and see if it moves when you apply the handbrake

no, scrap that, it will just tension up the other side, you will have to remove the cable from both ends and see if it's movable in the sheath or not

it's a design fault though as crap goes into the ends as they aren't sealed and then it rots the inside of the sheathing and the cable gets stuck