General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

4x4 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2011, 06:59 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 4x4 transmission

Ive been investigating ways and means lol

Name:  DSC01260.jpg
Views: 5981
Size:  88.8 KB
Name:  DSC01265.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  101.7 KB
Name:  DSC01262.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  123.1 KB
Name:  DSC01263.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  94.8 KB

interesting i think.

Last edited by markk; 15-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 20-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Rob Virgo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure someone. Has tried all the options
Old 20-02-2011, 07:04 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

come on mark have you not worked out the best way to fit this yet ? chop chop as i need the answer as well
Old 20-02-2011, 07:09 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rob Virgo
Sure someone. Has tried all the options

Ive tried to find someone else who has done and come up with nothing ! do you know someone ?

Originally Posted by andy escos
come on mark have you not worked out the best way to fit this yet ? chop chop as i need the answer as well
Only really started looking at this last week when I found out the CWP was viable to run backwards as primary rotation.

Mounting it is pretty simple really, just waiting for a piece of material to make a centre boss to fit the two together, then add the mountings.

I just need to have a cross shaft made then.

the trick(ier) bit is making it all work with the box, why has no one just made an adapter plate for the skyline box ? the clutch spigot shaft looks plenty long enough, though heat management and the starter would have to be looked closely at
Old 20-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Rob Virgo
Advanced PassionFord User

No mark, was a question

Thought heard that reyland had tried this a few years ago.
Old 20-02-2011, 07:15 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

How do you plan to get around the steering rack issue on the RHD cars?.

So your not planning to flip the diff to have it run in the standard rotation?

There was a brand new T5 4x4 box for sale recently on ebay, still crated from an MOD surplus company, used in some type of cross country military truck, I always thought they never got past the prototype stage.
Old 20-02-2011, 07:21 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rob Virgo
No mark, was a question

Thought heard that reyland had tried this a few years ago.
I dont know that either pal ?

Originally Posted by PAUL S
How do you plan to get around the steering rack issue on the RHD cars?.

So your not planning to flip the diff to have it run in the standard rotation?

There was a brand new T5 4x4 box for sale recently on ebay, still crated from an MOD surplus company, used in some type of cross country military truck, I always thought they never got past the prototype stage.
Steering is not a problem, in fact is already fits in the space (please bare in mind this is a rally car not a road car) with the steering rack mounted on a grp a cross member (though I might be changing that.

running the diff over 180deg is not really an option as the pinion will starve of oil, that is unless you add a pump, if ther is no need to.

another problem with that to keep the prop flange in line means the centre line of the diff is alot higher, making the prop flange foul the gearbox, if you lower it then you end up with the drive shaft very low in the chassis, thus a biger can of worms to deal with !

Trending Topics

Old 20-02-2011, 07:31 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

hummmmmmm very intresting

what am i looking at

lol
Old 21-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Dave2302
Tranny Man

Dave Howie has done the Skyline to Ford V6 Bellhousings see Fordpower.

Basically they machined / cut the 2 bellhousings and welded them together, if you look at his pics you can't see the join, the MT75 one and Skyline one fit together perfectly.

Re the diff, a good idea but there are some H/D motorsport ones about that dont sell for megabucks, also the strengthening plates and a tight build make a big difference

What torque are you running ???

For my 24V 4X4 Puma Stage Car I'm currently looking at ways to get a 50 / 50 split in an MT 75 Transfer, without buying the mega rare / expensive planet set. I may have a solution, though yet to be tested

Basically, remove the planet gears from the carrier, machine off its front half, so it becomes a flange with spline to engage mainshaft, then weld it to rear output shaft hub. By doing this, drive is locked to rear wheels, but front drive is transmitted thru viscous coupling, but front prop should get same torque application as the rear one. Viscous provides diff action and only locks up when rears spin a bit like a normal rear diff VC action........

LOL thats the theory, will have to wait until I try it on the stages later in the year to see if VC will put up with it. If not locking it all together is another option for the loose stuff, i.e 50 / 50 but no centre diff action.

Gonna use a stock torque split set up for tarmac anyway

See my post on torque split thread further down, have got some pics I'll put up if anyone's interested.

Cheers Dave
Old 21-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

This thread is interesting i will keep an eye on it and see how it progresses.
Old 21-02-2011, 03:13 PM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

hi mark looks interesting ,one point you probaly know when you turn the diff upside down the shafts will spin the opposite way ie will be trying to go backwards ,also wont you have one very short drive shaft which could pop out because of the movement in lengh it would need for suspension travel ,what is the reason behind the conversion is it to get a 7.5 inch front diff

thanks mark
Old 21-02-2011, 05:10 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Dave2302

Basically they machined / cut the 2 bellhousings and welded them together, if you look at his pics you can't see the join, the MT75 one and Skyline one fit together perfectly.

Re the diff, a good idea but there are some H/D motorsport ones about that dont sell for megabucks, also the strengthening plates and a tight build make a big difference

For my 24V 4X4 Puma Stage Car I'm currently looking at ways to get a 50 / 50 split in an MT 75 Transfer, without buying the mega rare / expensive planet set. I may have a solution, though yet to be tested

Basically, remove the planet gears from the carrier, machine off its front half, so it becomes a flange with spline to engage mainshaft, then weld it to rear output shaft hub. By doing this, drive is locked to rear wheels, but front drive is transmitted thru viscous coupling, but front prop should get same torque application as the rear one. Viscous provides diff action and only locks up when rears spin a bit like a normal rear diff VC action........

LOL thats the theory, will have to wait until I try it on the stages later in the year to see if VC will put up with it. If not locking it all together is another option for the loose stuff, i.e 50 / 50 but no centre diff action.

See my post on torque split thread further down, have got some pics I'll put up if anyone's interested.

Cheers Dave
yeh ive seen the guys conversion for the V6, but i dont want to go down the welded bellhousing route, as if you need to change the box you then have a problem !

as for your idea with the fixed planetaries, that would not work, you cannot rely on the vc to transmit drive across the chain (if i have read it right) the Vc only makes up the differance in speed between front and rear axles, its the sun/planetary gears that transmit the main drive.

Originally Posted by MK MOTORSPORT
hi mark looks interesting ,one point you probaly know when you turn the diff upside down the shafts will spin the opposite way ie will be trying to go backwards ,also wont you have one very short drive shaft which could pop out because of the movement in lengh it would need for suspension travel ,what is the reason behind the conversion is it to get a 7.5 inch front diff

thanks mark
Hi Mark,

Was outside your house last week !

yeh if you flip the diff upside down, then yes rotation changes, as it is, still in its correct plane just spun round to the front the rotation is correct for a front drive from the gearbox, and the reason, just still looking for 5.5K for the 8.5" lol
Old 21-02-2011, 05:23 PM
MK MOTORSPORT

Originally Posted by markk
yeh ive seen the guys conversion for the V6, but i dont want to go down the welded bellhousing route, as if you need to change the box you then have a problem !

as for your idea with the fixed planetaries, that would not work, you cannot rely on the vc to transmit drive across the chain (if i have read it right) the Vc only makes up the differance in speed between front and rear axles, its the sun/planetary gears that transmit the main drive.

Hi Mark,

Was outside your house last week !

yeh if you flip the diff upside down, then yes rotation changes, as it is, still in its correct plane just spun round to the front the rotation is correct for a front drive from the gearbox, and the reason, just still looking for 5.5K for the 8.5" lol
hi mark why didnt you knock on door ,diff looks a good idea ,can you get a long enough drive shaft in not to pull out with suspension travel
thanks mark
Old 21-02-2011, 05:27 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

hi mark why didnt you knock on door ,diff looks a good idea ,can you get a long enough drive shaft in not to pull out with suspension travel
thanks mark

it was a sunday pal, dont like to bother people, and yes looking at what ive got, i reckon the shaft will be no shorter than the original std item, though my track is wider by a small amount so looks good at the moment.

will also be able to fit the 100mm lobro inside the chassis leg so clearance looks ok.
Old 21-02-2011, 06:36 PM
MK MOTORSPORT

it was a sunday pal, dont like to bother people, and yes looking at what ive got, i reckon the shaft will be no shorter than the original std item, though my track is wider by a small amount so looks good at the moment.

will also be able to fit the 100mm lobro inside the chassis leg so clearance looks ok.

sounds good mate ,if you need any machining or anything doing to help mock it up will help you out mark

thanks mark
Old 21-02-2011, 06:51 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks heavy!
Old 21-02-2011, 07:38 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Looks heavy!
almost as heavy as 5.5K's worth of 8.5 inches lol

to be honest, yes im sure it will be heavier than the motorsport item, but what can you do about that bar having mag cases made, then your into serious cash again.

If it doesnt work then nothing lost !
Old 21-02-2011, 07:48 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol true enough them 8.5s are monsters!
Old 27-02-2011, 08:57 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Name:  DSC01269.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  57.7 KB
Name:  DSC01268.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  DSC01271.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  95.9 KB

Name:  DSC01272.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  133.8 KB
Name:  DSC01274.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  58.7 KB

looking feasable ?
Old 14-03-2011, 01:26 PM
evo200
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Only really started looking at this last week when I found out the CWP was viable to run backwards as primary rotation.

Wont the gears wear out pretty smartish as the gears are meshing/driving on the wrong faces with the diff effectively running backwards?
Old 14-03-2011, 08:41 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by evo200
Wont the gears wear out pretty smartish as the gears are meshing/driving on the wrong faces with the diff effectively running backwards?

having looked at this alot before i commited to this work, it would seam not, how fast would you expect it to wear ?
Old 14-03-2011, 11:02 PM
wibbler

Not sure if rate of wear is the big issue, I'd be most concerned about how to actually mount the diff so the case doesn't distort especially under load. Doesn't take much distortion to give enough of a misalignment in the mesh for it to all break; this is the most common failure mode from what I can remember.
Old 14-03-2011, 11:04 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by wibbler
Not sure if rate of wear is the big issue, I'd be most concerned about how to actually mount the diff so the case doesn't distort especially under load. Doesn't take much distortion to give enough of a misalignment in the mesh for it to all break; this is the most common failure mode from what I can remember.

im not worried about that
Old 15-03-2011, 08:18 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Surely it will whine like hell, they are loud enough when reversing a car at 10 mph never mind 90 over second left crest or whatever Tony Mason used to day.

Better off just spinning it so its in correct rotation and using an oil pump as belt and braces.
Old 15-03-2011, 08:58 AM
MK MOTORSPORT

Surely it will whine like hell, they are loud enough when reversing a car at 10 mph never mind 90 over second left crest or whatever Tony Mason used to day.

Better off just spinning it so its in correct rotation and using an oil pump as belt and braces.
hi cant do that like mark said it will be going backwards
mark
Old 15-03-2011, 09:10 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

hi cant do that like mark said it will be going backwards
mark
edited

my error - getting my orientation mixed up with the front prop -spinning it will get the diff going in the right way but would be revering the car instead as the diff is facing the wrong way as you say.

I had the principal of spinning the diff mixed up with an idea I had a few years ago with rear mounting a YB but having the box facing forward, in that instance you need to spin the diffs to get forward motion through the gears and the gate would be unusual.

Last edited by PAUL S; 15-03-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 15-03-2011, 09:32 PM
evo200

edited

I had the principal of spinning the diff mixed up with an idea I had a few years ago with rear mounting a YB but having the box facing forward, in that instance you need to spin the diffs to get forward motion through the gears and the gate would be unusual.

I thought about doing this with my 200 rep a while ago too. but using the weak front diff upside down now as a rear diff it wouldnt have lasted long!
Old 15-03-2011, 10:43 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

the cut on a hypoid gear set doesnt make any noise really so to speak, the noise you heard in reverse on most cars pre-1990 ish would be the straight cut gearset for reverse.

most manufacturers after 1990ish use helical and now with synchro.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM
evo200

Name:  DSC01260.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  88.8 KB

Just had a brainwave while discussing 4wd-ing a TVR using a remote diff forward of the engine.....

That rear diff that you have next to the sump would work, But as has been said, its in the same orientation as the normal 6.5" front diff but, because its a rear diff it will be effectively running backwards (driving on the coast face of the hypoid gear and not the drive face).

In that case then, if you could get a crownwheel and pinion, that is 'reverse cut' (same way as the original 6.5" front diff) to fit that rear diff you have in the pic, then it'd be meshing correctly and there'd be no probs with the running in that direction.

It's a wild stab in the dark but, I'm assuming that the big front diffs such as an R&D 7.5" are cut this way as the crownwheel and pinion are in the same orientation for forward drive....

and even better if their CWP is based around the same dimensions as whats in the standard 7.5" rear diff/carrier/ cage etc but in their own case for bolting up to the sump?????

maybe give R&D a buzz to find out?

Cheers Pete

Last edited by evo200; 06-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andy escos
me to
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave2302

Cheers Dave
as long as both props are spinning at an equal rate, the centre coupling does squat as essentially you have all the torque being sent to both output shafts

when the rears start to spin faster than the fronts, then the vc keeps the front output shaft rotating at the same speed as the rear

it's like putting the drive into a diff via the driveshafts, as long as the other wheels is rotating at the same speed the prop will also carry on turning, but if one of the output shafts changes speeds the lsd bit will feed power the other way

the only way to stop this is to remove the viscous coupling of the equation altogether and weld that bit where it goes through the different sized cogs up so they don't rotate as this is whats giving you the torque multipilcation
Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by graham c
me to
yes I have - im on with it - it does fit.

Originally Posted by dojj
the only way to stop this is to remove the viscous coupling of the equation altogether and weld that bit where it goes through the different sized cogs up so they don't rotate as this is whats giving you the torque multipilcation

The VC has nothing whatsoever to do with the torque delivery - the epicyclic unit does the torque split.

the VC takes up the differance in speed between front and rear.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

But it's all in the same unit, so but removing the whole viscous boxset from the equation you'd still get 100% locked diff when you push the power through, but I'm not sure if this would reslut in the same 66/34 split of torque or if this is what would make it a 50/50 split as the gears inside do the splitting stuff being twice the size etc
Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

if the epicyclic unit was removed or locked from std then that would result on 50/50 torque split.

The VC although built in to the end of the epi unit still has nothing to do with the torque split.
Old 19-05-2011, 11:29 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

any updates on this?
Old 19-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

just a thought, what about something like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-2...item35ad7c024f

forget the diff lock and all that crap, just thought being jap and made for manly jobs, it may well be strong enough for this if you could make it fit?