General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

T5 gearbox rattle, while off power

Search this Thread

Old 22-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T5 gearbox rattle, while off power

My t5 has rattled since fitting it in my stripped and caged sapphire and sounded worse tonight. It's only done about 2000miles, it had updated bearings and a new 1st and 2nd gear shaft by a trans company in Nottingham apparently.
It rattles badly when slowing down off throttle between 3k RPM and 2k RPM, when on throttle it's instantly quieter though, it sounds like a metal stick hitting a box of gears I don't remember it making any noise in my road car, on STD ford mountsand bushes.
My T5 is now on a vibratechnics Gbox mount and the engine is on chassis mounted GpA engine mounts, solid mount outer rear beam and rubber mounted diff hanger, poly trailing arms.
Any idea if it's a death rattle or whether it's just a resonance at set RPM??
I noticed tonight that it rattles when in gear and clutch is up or down, but no rattling when out of gear except when I turn the engine off- it's the last vibration I hear.
I've checked for loose fittings and bolts in and around the box, exhaust, rear and prop etc changed fluid and no better,
Old 22-01-2011, 04:21 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

i wouldnt take it apart your self
go back to the company who built it and show them it in the car
trailer it there if you can just incase its a terminal problem

insist they repair it if it has a problem

they may give you aload of bull but stick to your guns

dont sound right to me
Old 22-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ap 6 paddle clutch and updated cover and STD Ford flywheel (lightened), the car is running about 260bhp/16 psi max
Old 22-01-2011, 04:22 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

also can you feel anything through the gear stick just to make sure it is the box

may be a silly question
Old 22-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing is it was done about 4yrs ago now, just before I broke my road car to fit the running gear in this one. It doesn't sound good no. Maybe Bernie at CTS will know and have solution? Or I buy another box, CTS stage ??
Old 22-01-2011, 04:30 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by Mr C
The thing is it was done about 4yrs ago now, just before I broke my road car to fit the running gear in this one. It doesn't sound good no. Maybe Bernie at CTS will know and have solution? Or I buy another box, CTS stage ??
burnie does a good t5 box

done a few for me of late

think anyone would have to see and hear the problem to say for sure what it is mate
Old 22-01-2011, 05:46 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to see for sure without hearing it obviously, but slow down from say 5000rpm just let it coast to a stop, if it does it at higher rpm, then goes totally as it slows it may be the same problem I had.
My gearbox was not the cause, even though it had done 200,000 miles!!, what happened in my case was the "pad" the clutch arm pivots on,(which has a small lug on it to hold it in the bell housing)had snapped and allowed the arm to move enough towards the bell housing side to allow contact, mine had worn some nice grooves in the inside of the bell housing due to the "pad" coming adrift.
Only today I machined up a new pad from some delrin, and will use a bolt straight through the centre to hold arm.
The problem is made worse as the arm is imo too long by about 4-5mm, the very outer edges of the arm actually project some 3-4mm further than the arm end where the shaped pivot is.
As I say it may not be this, but if you detach the cable you will soon be able to see by seeing if the other(inner) end feels secured or detached, it's a bit of a crap arrangement for holding, mine started after I replaced yet another snapped cable, and this was no doubt due to the slack allowing the pad to pop off the seat/platform.
I was hunting for my rattle without luck, it was seriously loud, could easily hear it above a loud stereo, the box turned out not to be making this noise, even though it cost well over £200 in parts alone to fix, synchro's had gone on 1/2/3/4/5 gear, as well as a few bearings, that had grooves in their rollers.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 22-01-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 23-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There is no rattle from the limiter down to 3000RPM, then it rattles till 2000RPM and no rattle from idle to the limiter on power.
There is vibration through the gear lever all the time but can't tell the nasty rattle is there though.
It could be possible the cable lever isn't fixed correctly but it function brilliantly.
On testing today at slow speed on a tight turn there is knocking in the box, when in gear clutch down or engaged. What else rotates with the engine when engaged in a gear but clutch is also down/ disengaged. It's GOT to be that, is that the input shaft only or
Old 23-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could a collapsed spigot bearing cause this ?.Its just a guess mind.I had similar on a XR4x4,there was nothing left of the bearing or it hadnt been fitted.

Last edited by Rax; 23-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:56 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My clutch operated perfectly, couldn't tell it was "detached" and acted just like you describe.
Mine was 100% silent at all other times too.
A buggered spigot bearing will cause the box to drag as in not slow down, as it tries to fix the input shaft to the crank speed, so would result in gear selection issues.
tabetha