General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Best engine managment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettski mk2
Not much said about motec??Is it becouse of the price...What are peoples thoughts about them.I had 3 celicas on motec and mapped by Adrain @ fensport never had any problems with the mapping/ecu and mapped at a afordable price.I'll let them do me saph I think.
who deals with Motec and cossies?H T racing??anyone else
Cheers
A friend of mine works for Fensport, Adrian certainly seems to get on very well with Motec as they install a lot of their ecu's into customers cars.

My new car is on Motec M48 pro, supplied and mapped by HT, they seem to like the Motec ecu's
Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Also I'm finding this a really intresting thread, I don't know a thing about mapping tbh, mainly as I've never had the chance to be shown how it all works and don't fancy playing around with a map I've paid good money for !
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Mapping isn't rocket science, with the right equipment, and good knowledge of the system you will soon find your way around it.

What makes mapping difficult is starting with a blank canvas. The beauty of modern ecus is you can upload another map for a starting point, once you have a engine started and running you can soon start working your way around the mapping points.
if you know what you're doing, you shouldn't have a problem starting from blank. knowing enough about the physical build of the engine should be enough to put you right in the ballpark from the off.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
if you know what you're doing, you shouldn't have a problem starting from blank. knowing enough about the physical build of the engine should be enough to put you right in the ballpark from the off.
Of course! was merely saying its possible to do
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
Mapping isn't rocket science, with the right equipment, and good knowledge of the system you will soon find your way around it.

What makes mapping difficult is starting with a blank canvas. The beauty of modern ecus is you can upload another map for a starting point, once you have a engine started and running you can soon start working your way around the mapping points.

With a proper lambda for afr and det cans you can get a friend to slowly drive you around to start whilst you adjust (best to start working up the revs stationary). Ps det cans are more top end stuff not used for cruise or part throttle mapping,

I may have made it seem a little easy as I am used to a very user friendly system and I guess it just comes as second nature now, but you soon pick it up, its just a little scary playing with your pride and joy knowing you are the one making it safe though

I'm banging on a bit now but, when mapping and looking at a fuel map you can start to see a trend, as the revs go up fuel will increase most of the time so you can start getting in a pattern and seeing what's to come next

Just little bits you pick up with experience I suppose, engine note is also very important, you can hear when a engine is un happy, if its too weak and you add a touch of fuel you can just hear its so much happier,

I don't think this will help you much in terms of learning to map as the only way to do that is have a go! Get a program loaded onto your laptop and play, you can't do no damage that way lol!

Be interesting to see other peoples opinions on this

(must add, the above is very basic mapping! It does get a little more involved than just a fuel map, start up, warm up maps are time consuming, boost maps, can just go on for ever and this is still basic starting and running mapping)
That is/was the biggest ball ache I found, getting the cold start/idle right for a temp range of say -15c to +10c took me ages, when we had the real cold weather here (-15c) a few weeks ago I had to add in soooo much more fuel for it to start and idle it's crazy, something like 95% on the ASE and 122% WUE for -15c!!

Last edited by Karlos G; 07-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

The only one downside about Motec, is the price. They charge extra for every extra, yet they are all just software upgrades.

There are many systems that will run an engine equally as well, with more features than a Motec, for less money.
It's really only on extreme or very fancy setups that a motec would really show its worth. But in those cases it really will be a clean fortune !
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The only one downside about Motec, is the price. They charge extra for every extra, yet they are all just software upgrades.

There are many systems that will run an engine equally as well, with more features than a Motec, for less money.
It's really only on extreme or very fancy setups that a motec would really show its worth. But in those cases it really will be a clean fortune !
Don't get me wrong, the price would put me off but in this case the car came equipped with the ecu which has been fully upgraded with all the add ons which is a bonus !
Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 PM
bj928
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just found this while looking M-Tech http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk, seem very cheap, but the V3 lists 16 injectors, and also it list Ł300 or a full mapping, i was thinking a systetm for like Ł1000+ but i'm all for saving money, but as said, you get what you pay for,

the Americans seem to like this one http://bigstuff3.com/wp-content/them...f/gen3sefi.pdf but it only list working 16 Low Z injectors, or is a case of the low z injectos are harder to control, so if it does low z it will do high z

slightly off topic but still on injectors, i see lots of the same injector listed for different cars, is this because they mount slightly different in different cars, or is it just people on fleesbay targeting different car drivers as listing them for their car make model.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know much at all about mapping and ECU's until reading this thread this morning - very interesting indeed. Cheers all!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bj928
Just found this while looking M-Tech http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk, seem very cheap, but the V3 lists 16 injectors, and also it list Ł300 or a full mapping, i was thinking a systetm for like Ł1000+ but i'm all for saving money, but as said, you get what you pay for,

the Americans seem to like this one http://bigstuff3.com/wp-content/them...f/gen3sefi.pdf but it only list working 16 Low Z injectors, or is a case of the low z injectos are harder to control, so if it does low z it will do high z

slightly off topic but still on injectors, i see lots of the same injector listed for different cars, is this because they mount slightly different in different cars, or is it just people on fleesbay targeting different car drivers as listing them for their car make model.

I dont beleive they do the V3 anymore, its been V4 for the last year or two.

Ive got an Mtec V4 on my clio and its absolutely great, fantastic mapping software (tuner studio, same as megasquirt) and really nicely packaged ECU.
You get a LOT more than you are paying for with an Mtec IMHO, if I showed you the mapping software for that and an autronic you would think the mtec was the dearer one!

Really over the moon with it and Matt has been a pleasure to deal with too, I actually killed one ECU through entirely my own fault (was making out injectors desperate to try and bring my AFR's down when they werent quite up to the job) and as I was so honest about it, Mtec sorted me out under the 2 year warranty.

I'd have to have a pretty good reason not to use one TBH especially as they are at the cheaper end of the market to buy but dont feel at the cheaper end of the market to use.

The only ECU I prefer is the autronic, and TBH thats mainly just cause I am more familiar with it, and the difference in price does make it hard to justify.
I think im going to use an Mtec on my next project (turbo clio) even though I have a choice of that or an autronic sat on the shelf (I have a spare of each) that I can use.
The thing is, because you can use all the megasquirt stuff on it, it means things like running a dashboard off an in car pc is easy, and it means that it has the BEST support you'll find on any ecu for sensor config etc as so many people are involved in the development, you would be amazed at how few ecu's can understand a renix 44-2-2 trigger pattern for example, but the Mtec does it perfectly, any other management onto a clio tends to mean you have to change the flywheel to get a different crank sensor configuration!

Last edited by Chip; 08-01-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by Chip
I'd have to have a pretty good reason not to use one TBH especially as they are at the cheaper end of the market to buy but dont feel at the cheaper end of the market to use.
stu perhaps touched upon a reason earlier in the thread when he talked about the quality (durability) of OE units. i'm not saying that the mtech (or any other aftermarket) ecus are not well specced and built as i have never seen one, but i find it unlikely that they are designed, built and tested to the same rigorous standards as OE ones are. that's not to say that they are not capable, but they might not be in years to come after vibration, temperature change, moisture etc have all played their part.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
A lot of the power of modern ECU's is taken up in processing ancillary tasks, for example, Canbus:
http://www.motorsport-developments.c...AF279_tech.pdf

Systems like that, along with the extremely complex serial datastreams that all ECU's now output, all require processing power. This is before we consider such amazing safety systems as dynamic stability control that totally takes control of your throttle valves and brake calipers, independantly, along with the suspension settings at the split second you run clean out of talent.

Systems like that require ECU's that are technically, "on holiday" at all times.
I am sure you can appreciate that the ECU must not respond with "Sorry, im a little busy right now, can you wait?" when the canbus requests an immediate airbag activation signal because a bus shelter just triggered a front bumper impact sensor while you were sending the missus a picture of your knob.. LOL
Haha thanks for that, so am I right in thinking the engine management side isn't really that resource intensive, it's just nowadays with all the safety systems etc like you mentioned thats why they require better hardware, sitting idle just "in Case"?

I understand from what your saying a lot of the processing power isn't actually utilized under most circumstances but it needs to be there in case it does? Is it common for other ECU'S nowadays to have two 32 bit processors like the M3 or in this case is it actually required for all the engine "Gubbins" they have such as VANOS etc?

Thanks,

Martin
Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
excursion
Bulletin Board User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Basic calibration is straight-forward as said.

I work in the CAE (Computer Aided Engineering) area at Ford, and a new calibration, even for something as simple as revised cams, takes three years! Everything is started in MatLab and calculated from known engine specifications; simulations include a multitude of factors ranging from the obvious such as exhaust temp, ambine temp, right through to throttle angles/gears and even alternator load. These calibrations are of course taking into account stringent emissions regs, altitudes and all sorts but it makes me makes me think twice about ditching the standard management in favour of these simple looking aftermarket units.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Haha thanks for that, so am I right in thinking the engine management side isn't really that resource intensive, it's just nowadays with all the safety systems etc like you mentioned thats why they require better hardware, sitting idle just "in Case"?

I understand from what your saying a lot of the processing power isn't actually utilized under most circumstances but it needs to be there in case it does? Is it common for other ECU'S nowadays to have two 32 bit processors like the M3 or in this case is it actually required for all the engine "Gubbins" they have such as VANOS etc?

Thanks,

Martin
the computer that controls the engine is no longer simply an Engine Management Unit as on old cars, that then had separate ABS ECU etc. they are generally combined all in one unit that is known as the Electronic Management System. as well as controlling the engine , they also control the ABS, the airbag deployment, the lights, the indicator ticking noise, the climate control, the driver fatigue system, etc, etc. they are just so complex as they are all entirely integrated.

as another example. on an old car like a sierra, to put your headlights on you used to lift a lever on the steering column which had a physical switch in it with wires that ran all the way to the fusebox to switch a relay that had wires all the way to each light unit. there was no intervention from any ECU, it was purely mechanical and electrical.

now, the switch for the lights sends a CAN message to the EMS and the EMS sends a CAN message to each lighting unit to switch on. the amount of wiring is reduced, but it requires computing power to monitor. as an added benefit, you can more easily integrate a sensor so that lights come on automatically when 'dark', link lights to steering input for adaptive lighting and so on.

i'm not sure about the M engines, but i think that because they run closer to the limits than other run of the mill engines they might be more adaptive. for example, they will have more sophisticated knock detection that can probably sense if one cylinder knocks they would change the timing for the next cylinder, which obviously needs to happen much quicker than if you were to change the timing for the next cycle.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:08 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thread
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
frayz
Boost Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going Syvecs on my build
Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM
bj928

i see lots of the same injector listed for different cars, is this because they mount slightly different in different cars, or is it just people on fleesbay targeting different car drivers as listing them for their car make model.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
bj928

i think this first uk listing is one of the guys off here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Siemens-80lbph...item3efe574b63

but i think i will stick with American prices http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sieme...Q5fCarQ5fParts

thats probably one of the best prices for the uk, but just shows how cheap stuff is in America, Ł100 saving on 4 so Ł400 saving on 16, not far off half price
Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Chip
I dont beleive they do the V3 anymore, its been V4 for the last year or two.

Ive got an Mtec V4 on my clio and its absolutely great, fantastic mapping software (tuner studio, same as megasquirt) and really nicely packaged ECU.
You get a LOT more than you are paying for with an Mtec IMHO, if I showed you the mapping software for that and an autronic you would think the mtec was the dearer one!

Really over the moon with it and Matt has been a pleasure to deal with too, I actually killed one ECU through entirely my own fault (was making out injectors desperate to try and bring my AFR's down when they werent quite up to the job) and as I was so honest about it, Mtec sorted me out under the 2 year warranty.

The only ECU I prefer is the autronic, and TBH thats mainly just cause I am more familiar with it, and the difference in price does make it hard to justify.
I think im going to use an Mtec on my next project (turbo clio) even though I have a choice of that or an autronic sat on the shelf (I have a spare of each) that I can use.
The thing is, because you can use all the megasquirt stuff on it, it means things like running a dashboard off an in car pc is easy, and it means that it has the BEST support you'll find on any ecu for sensor config etc as so many people are involved in the development, you would be amazed at how few ecu's can understand a renix 44-2-2 trigger pattern for example, but the Mtec does it perfectly, any other management onto a clio tends to mean you have to change the flywheel to get a different crank sensor configuration!
Their website seems sparse on info. So if it uses all MS software etc....is it just a rebadged MS ?

They also seem to suggest the price includes a wiring harness....so for Ł500 you get an ecu and harness ? Seems incredibly cheap.

Maybe I could consider it for my Volvo lol
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
GaryHurn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their website seems sparse on info. So if it uses all MS software etc....is it just a rebadged MS ?

They also seem to suggest the price includes a wiring harness....so for Ł500 you get an ecu and harness ? Seems incredibly cheap.

Maybe I could consider it for my Volvo lol
it is a megasquirt with a fancy suit on, yes

but it is properly made not somebody soldering in a garage, with 2 year warranty worth considering
Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

So they are rebranding and selling opensource product for profit ?

Now surely that isnt morally right ?

Why not just call a spade a spade and tell people it is Megasquirt ?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

they are doing it illegally, yes.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

they're selling the manufactured hardware and giving support, i don't see a problem with that
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM
bj928

its looking like i might go with the Bigstuff3, although i would prefer i britsh ECU because i think it will be better and more advanced than an American system, the Americans don't like new technolagy, most think the 4 barrel holly is advanced race tech!!!!!!!, what management would be a good set up in the ball park Ł1000-Ł2000
Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

they're selling the manufactured hardware and giving support, i don't see a problem with that

The software is not licensed for use with third party hardware,
Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

its looking like i might go with the Bigstuff3, although i would prefer i britsh ECU because i think it will be better and more advanced than an American system, the Americans don't like new technolagy, most think the 4 barrel holly is advanced race tech!!!!!!!, what management would be a good set up in the ball park Ł1000-Ł2000

I looked at loads of management for my use before I bought a GEMS unit, and the UK support paid off, I ended up buying a used unit, sent it straght to GEMS for test and upgrade, took about 2 weeks, after that the unit support I had was massive, once I set it up for my use and configured all the inputs and outputs, I found out i needed more outputs and some more functions, I rung GEMS, discussed it with the director of the company, within a couple of weeks he sent me some firmware,
this reconfigured some of the other pins I didnt need to operate as outputs and a totally new look up tabel to configure my WI how i wanted it to work.
All was FOC !

will you get that support from an American or any foreign unit ?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Most decent stuff will have very good support.

But seeing as you are in the US, going with a US source that can offer local support will make more sense.

And as others have said already, use a system that your mapper/installer is familiar with. Support is very important.

Although their website is rather lacking, contact these guys about an ecu in the US.

http://www.panteraefi.com/products.p...ct=1&category=

http://www.lola332.com/ECU882main.htm

You'll get more info on the EFI101 forum.

But these days, there are literally dozens of ecu's that could work for you. But you need to outline your exact requirements before you've any chance of selecting one.
And also consider second hand stuff, you could make good savings over new there.

For a UK option that will do whatever you need, but be absolutely flexible with all outputs etc, and everything is built in ( ie no extras ) then this Syvecs would work for you.
It has all the spec you require, full wideband control, full knock control, full datalogging etc etc

email Pat at Syvecs, or the email in the link with any queries. Although it is a bit above your price range lol
http://www.syvecs.com/s8c.php

Last edited by stevieturbo; 08-01-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

I only saw the scottish bit lol D'OH !
Old 08-01-2011, 07:25 PM
bj928

Most decent stuff will have very good support.

But seeing as you are in the US, going with a US source that can offer local support will make more sense.

And as others have said already, use a system that your mapper/installer is familiar with. Support is very important.

Although their website is rather lacking, contact these guys about an ecu in the US.

http://www.panteraefi.com/products.p...ct=1&category=

http://www.lola332.com/ECU882main.htm

You'll get more info on the EFI101 forum.

But these days, there are literally dozens of ecu's that could work for you. But you need to outline your exact requirements before you've any chance of selecting one.
And also consider second hand stuff, you could make good savings over new there.

For a UK option that will do whatever you need, but be absolutely flexible with all outputs etc, and everything is built in ( ie no extras ) then this Syvecs would work for you.
It has all the spec you require, full wideband control, full knock control, full datalogging etc etc

email Pat at Syvecs, or the email in the link with any queries. Although it is a bit above your price range lol
http://www.syvecs.com/s8c.php
i'm working in America and collecting bits and building the engine to the spec i want in America, but it will be mapped once in the car in the UK, so the Uk system would be better from what you say, basic spec will be 5.4 v8 32v, rev limit 8k+, supercharged but intercooled like a turbo, 16 siemens 80lb injectors, manual T56 with 4x4 conversion, the supercharger will most likely be a whipple 4.0, this chucks out 4 ltrs of air every rev, and maxes out at 18000 rpm/35psi, with this set up hp isn't a problem, it will be good for about 1500+ hp as long as the charge temp can be kept down, and it can be mapped good, i only want 1000hp at wheels so should be able to get that way under the 35psi, not sure if my intercooled idea will work, but its worth a shot
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM
bj928

i like that, bit pricy but looks good, lets see if its availabe in the US for half the privce
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

i like that, bit pricy but looks good, lets see if its availabe in the US for half the privce
No, because it is made in the UK.

And the only information you have given, is that it needs to run a V8 with 16 injectors.

be more specific. What auxiliary outputs do you need, what ignition, what other features ?

On a budget, my DTA S80 will do everything you need, and is very easy to use.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/S_80_PRO.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Chip

stu perhaps touched upon a reason earlier in the thread when he talked about the quality (durability) of OE units. i'm not saying that the mtech (or any other aftermarket) ecus are not well specced and built as i have never seen one, but i find it unlikely that they are designed, built and tested to the same rigorous standards as OE ones are. that's not to say that they are not capable, but they might not be in years to come after vibration, temperature change, moisture etc have all played their part.
Very few aftermarket ECU's (and none I can afford) are of the quality of manufacture and particuarly testing that an OEM one is, im sure my Autronic wont stay working for as long as the ecu in my daily driver corsa etc.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Chip

So they are rebranding and selling opensource product for profit ?

Now surely that isnt morally right ?

Why not just call a spade a spade and tell people it is Megasquirt ?
Its not megasquirt, but its very strongly based on it, they couldnt sell it as megasquirt as they dont own the megasquirt name.

Not really interested in the legality of it or not TBH, maybe one day there will be some sort of court case to establish that, doubt it though, but as an end user you are getting a well developed product and stable hardware that works well and is well supported, and with decent tuning software.
Buying megasquirt on the otherhand is a bit of a lottery, especially if its enthusiast assembled.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
bj928

No, because it is made in the UK.

And the only information you have given, is that it needs to run a V8 with 16 injectors.

be more specific. What auxiliary outputs do you need, what ignition, what other features ?

On a budget, my DTA S80 will do everything you need, and is very easy to use.

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/S_80_PRO.htm
from what i've seen on American stuff it would seem like they use EDIS8 for ignition, i believe the engine is normally coil on plug, but i will have to check that becasue they were using GM COP's and they had to mount a bracket to hold them, so it could have just been that persons setup, i know the EDIS6 on a cossie 24v uses coil pack, will it matter, what opiton is there for ignition, another popular one state side is MSD ignition, but would need advice as its completely over my head as to what bits are needed and what parts arn't with the management or work with any one management.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

it isnt that uncommon for OE ecu's to fail, for the very reasons you list.

But designing an ecu is one thing, using it in a sensible manner is another. Some makers mount their ecu's in the most stupid places where they are in a vary harsh environment, subject to hot/cold and water.

But any electronic part can fail. But in general, most ecu's from a reputable source will be very reliable. Damage is usually caused, rather than just happens.

Like on some French shite where the ecu gets drowned...it isnt really the fault of the ecu I guess, just shitty design of the car and ecu placement.

So when choosing an ecu, you need to take into consideration how you are going to treat it. ie, does it need waterproofing, does it need shielding from heat etc, does it need soft mountings
Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

from what i've seen on American stuff it would seem like they use EDIS8 for ignition, i believe the engine is normally coil on plug, but i will have to check that becasue they were using GM COP's and they had to mount a bracket to hold them, so it could have just been that persons setup, i know the EDIS6 on a cossie 24v uses coil pack, will it matter, what opiton is there for ignition, another popular one state side is MSD ignition, but would need advice as its completely over my head as to what bits are needed and what parts arn't with the management or work with any one management.
The only aftermarket ecu I know that uses EDIS is megasquirt. Thats because it has no coil drivers whatsoever.

If the engine is COP, then the most sensible option would be to retain this. Why complicate matters ?
The LS2 coil is very powerful, and popular too.

What coils are other people with your engines using, and why are they using them ? ( pretty sure Joel is using LS2 coils on his 32v build, although he is using the MSD version. Personally I'd have used OE LS2 coils, although the red ones look nice. Their reliability isnt exactly well proven though, and the LS2 has proven itself to silly power levels anyway.

Dont take this the wrong way, but if you really know nothing about such systems, then you need to speak to whoever is going to be wiring, installing and mapping this. There is little point choosing a system they arent prepared to work with regardless of its abilities or lack of abilities.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM
bj928

The only aftermarket ecu I know that uses EDIS is megasquirt. Thats because it has no coil drivers whatsoever.

If the engine is COP, then the most sensible option would be to retain this. Why complicate matters ?
The LS2 coil is very powerful, and popular too.

What coils are other people with your engines using, and why are they using them ? ( pretty sure Joel is using LS2 coils on his 32v build, although he is using the MSD version. Personally I'd have used OE LS2 coils, although the red ones look nice. Their reliability isnt exactly well proven though, and the LS2 has proven itself to silly power levels anyway.

Dont take this the wrong way, but if you really know nothing about such systems, then you need to speak to whoever is going to be wiring, installing and mapping this. There is little point choosing a system they arent prepared to work with regardless of its abilities or lack of abilities.
Ultimately it will be down to the tunner i guess, i'm just trying to get my head round it all and look at option, if i find a setup i like i can find a good tunner to work on it, the only tunner near me in the uk is Will Gollop's company (rally cross driver of old), but he is high end and most probably silly money to tune, and only tunes engine i believe on an engine dyno. so it would come down to who is good in the UK and is ok with the v8 setup, would it be safe to say that if they can tune a cosworth they could tune the supercharged v8, or would it be better to look for someone thats used to V8 tunning

will look into what the modular v8 runs for ignition normally
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Ultimately it will be down to the tunner i guess, i'm just trying to get my head round it all and look at option, if i find a setup i like i can find a good tunner to work on it, the only tunner near me in the uk is Will Gollop's company (rally cross driver of old), but he is high end and most probably silly money to tune, and only tunes engine i believe on an engine dyno. so it would come down to who is good in the UK and is ok with the v8 setup, would it be safe to say that if they can tune a cosworth they could tune the supercharged v8, or would it be better to look for someone thats used to V8 tunning

will look into what the modular v8 runs for ignition normally
Engine they are tuning is irrelevant. But many tuners will only work with ecu's they are happy with.
Whether or not that ecu is the best option or value, is another matter though. But it will be what they prefer using. And often it may require fitting a lot of unnecessary parts like silly ignition systems that arent needed
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
bj928

ignition COP or as the Americans say, Coil In Cap, don't know it there is a difference, guessing not, aftermarket ones available as well

Last edited by bj928; 08-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
bj928

the loom would most likely be done by mark_wiring off here who is cossie4i's brother, i think steve the train driver is cossie4i, or something close to it, Mark is very very good with the wiring, and may even be able to get it running with a very basic map depending on system, but it would then be down to a proper tuner to work on it, money is not really the issue here but i don't want to spend 3k on an ecu if a 1k ecu can do the job just as well.

Quick Reply: Best engine managment?