General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone on here built there own house?

Search this Thread

Old 19-10-2010, 11:55 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Anyone on here built there own house?

Been looking at houses for the last year on/off with the wife and have decided to seriously start looking at building something ourselves (not literally as I know bugger all about building ).
Anyway, we've started to look at plots and prices, but with things at an early stage I could do with a few pointers from anyone who has done something similar. Any constructive input greatly appreciated.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:01 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bricks, sand and cement are a good start, on a serious note be carefull of banks that do equity release as you do your build, heard of a lot of people being let down at the last minute. my nieghbours for example put all thier life savings into a plot, getting the founds in and services/ road put in. Only for the bank to pull the plug on them just as they were about to start. You may have enough money to build your house outrite of course.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok Latto you're moving to the sticks then?
Old 19-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Garage19 is building his own house at the moment I believe.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:14 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Nah I aint moving to the sticks, defo not!
Thanks for the input chaffe, I have read about that type of financing and was going to look into it more. I have some money set aside for the plot and maybe £100k towards building costs, but i'll need more obviously.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

http://www.georgeclarke.co.uk/top-tips/flat-pack-homes/

These seem to be gaining popularity with self builders. Maybe something to look at?
Old 19-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We built our house 20 years ago and we're still in it so I did something right!

Finished cost should be about 2/3rds the total cost - for us, that included the land, but land values have changed a lot.

Get an agreement with the bank for payments to be released at specific stages - eg, foundations and solum, wind/watertight, completion certificate. Having more stages means you can get cash more often but you'll have to pay your architect for his certificate each time.

Select tradesmen by recommendation rather than price, and once you have told them what you want, and confirmed they understand what you want, let them do their thing - I can think of nothing worse than an amateur telling a professional how to do the job.

Pay them exactly as agreed - not a penny till set stages are complete, and on time and in full when they have done whatever stage they have agreed to do.
Old 19-10-2010, 05:41 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

im a digger driver so know a bit about it

buy a plot of land with permision on it as its hard to get and costs a lot to do
if you get land with no permision then get rejected you have one expencive garden

you can get a plot with outlining permision but this means you still have to get full permision

if you buy with planing on it you have got i think 5-7 years to get started or it will lapse
you can put the footings in and leave it if time or money are issues you wont lose permision if you have started