General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any electricians here....

Search this Thread

Old 16-10-2010, 12:53 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any electricians here....

need some advice on some wiring if anyone can help please

some twat other day ripped off the front outside light.

I have bought one today to replace it

However the wiring looks a tad odd. On the lamp unit you have the 3 standard wires, blue brown and green/yellow

the light outside can be switched on inside or can go off via the pir.

The wires from inside the house going outside are black, blue, brown and green/yellow

i have wired up the blue brown and green/yellow, but i don't know what the black one should be connected to??

Any ideas please

Last edited by The Sludge; 16-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 16-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Dr. Blofeld
Menace to society

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the wires will be a permanent live I think. If the light used to go on and off when the switch inside the house was off, then that will be the case.
Best way of finding out is if you have a meter, connect it to the earth and the brown to see if brown is always live or just live when the switch is on. Repeat this for the black wire.
That should tell you which is which. The blue wire should have no real voltage on it relative to the earth.
If you don't have a meter, use a bulb to check the brown and black wires relative to earth but wear gloves.
All you need to then is tape off the permanent live.
Old 16-10-2010, 01:45 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by Dr. Blofeld
If the light used to go on and off when the switch inside the house was off, then that will be the case.
Thats correct
Old 16-10-2010, 02:11 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

picture of OLD light unit The NEW unit has only blue, brown and green/yellow coming out of it.

Old 16-10-2010, 02:23 PM
stevo123
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new light can only be operated by the PIR (as long as the switch in the house is set ON).

Put the spare perm live that comes from the house to the outside into a choc block and tape it up inside the new fitting.
Old 16-10-2010, 02:46 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Post a Pic of the back of the new one showing the connector block.

Old 16-10-2010, 03:14 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by focusv8
Post a Pic of the back of the new one showing the connector block.
here you go-this picture shows the wires (black, blue, brown, green/yellow)coming out of the house through black grommet and then the reattached block taken from old light unit showing the black cable to bottom right

The next picture shows the factory fitted block and the wires coming out of the grommet attatched to the block ie brown to brown, blue to blue green/yellow to green/yellow

Last edited by The Sludge; 16-10-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 16-10-2010, 04:20 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Is the new lamp mains, and not Low volts or LED?

If so if the black from the house IS the permanent live, then it needs connecting to the Red wire which looks like it goes directly to the lamp, there looks to be enough wire to cut the red and stick both ends in the block where the black is.

Red should be the output from the PIR going up to the lamp

Old 16-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

brown - permanent live (if used means sensor in light wont ever be switched off and sensor is always active)
black - switch wire from switch,can be live supply when switch in house is down (will mean you can isolate light if you dont want it operate at anytime)
grey - neutral
green/yellow - earth

you can use either brown or black as your live supply just isolate unused conductor in a connector block inside the light
Old 17-10-2010, 11:06 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by Cragrat
brown - permanent live (if used means sensor in light wont ever be switched off and sensor is always active)
black - switch wire from switch,can be live supply when switch in house is down (will mean you can isolate light if you dont want it operate at anytime)
grey - neutral
green/yellow - earth

you can use either brown or black as your live supply just isolate unused conductor in a connector block inside the light
cheers pal- do i not wire BOTH black and brown wires coming out of the house to the brown into the light?

After taking the light of this morning i dropped it and smashed the glass... anyway after a bit of a blag at the diy store i have replaced it, and have taken the liberty of taking another picture of the back of the NEW unit if it helps, WITHOUT any wiring done. What you see is whats been done from manufacturer

Last edited by The Sludge; 17-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 17-10-2010, 11:09 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

If you want it working via the switch then black ( providing that is your SL ) into L, Blue into N and green/yellow into the earth ( symbol ) make sure the Brown in made safe ( bit of connector block with some tape on )
Old 17-10-2010, 11:11 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by danneth
If you want it working via the switch then black ( providing that is your SL ) into L, Blue into N and green/yellow into the earth ( symbol ) make sure the Brown in made safe ( bit of connector block with some tape on )
cheers- i will go and sort shortly and see what happens Question though, the OLD unit worked by both switch and by pir even if the switch was OFF. Will this then not do the same?
Old 17-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sludge
cheers- i will go and sort shortly and see what happens Question though, the OLD unit worked by both switch and by pir even if the switch was OFF. Will this then not do the same?
if you want to have an `overide` you will need to break into the live from the sensor part of the fitting to the lampholder which looks to me to be the red cable and connect the black to it

ps ya clumsy get...

Last edited by Cragrat; 17-10-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 17-10-2010, 09:18 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Thanks to everyone for their help- i really appreciate it, and i have it working kind off.....

1. I tried the brown to brown and left the black in a block and the light came on then went off but would not come back on either through pir or switch in hall way

2. I then tried the black to brown and then left the brown in a block. The light also came on and then went off but did not comeback on unless i used the switch for on or off, but then simply went off

3. I then did what cragrat recommended and cut the red wires-all is good as the light goes on and off via the pir. However if i turn the light on from the switch the light flickers then gets brighter.

So after sitting down and reflecting on what i have done i am assuming i have wired something wrong. I have the black wire coming out the house into the block which has a red wire in the same block together with the black linking to the pir.

The other red comes out of the block straight to the bulb. Would i be right in thinking that the black should go in the block on its own and then the 2 reds coming out the other side of the block together and then this would solve the issue of the light not being able to turn on and of via the switch??
Old 17-10-2010, 09:30 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by The Sludge
Thanks to everyone for their help- i really appreciate it, and i have it working kind off.....

1. I tried the brown to brown and left the black in a block and the light came on then went off but would not come back on either through pir or switch in hall way

2. I then tried the black to brown and then left the brown in a block. The light also came on and then went off but did not comeback on unless i used the switch for on or off, but then simply went off

3. I then did what cragrat recommended and cut the red wires-all is good as the light goes on and off via the pir. However if i turn the light on from the switch the light flickers then gets brighter.

So after sitting down and reflecting on what i have done i am assuming i have wired something wrong. I have the black wire coming out the house into the block which has a red wire in the same block together with the black linking to the pir.

The other red comes out of the block straight to the bulb. Would i be right in thinking that the black should go in the block on its own and then the 2 reds coming out the other side of the block together and then this would solve the issue of the light not being able to turn on and of via the switch??
That sounds the right way to me, have you checked the settings on the light fitting itself? and for god sake dont go snipping any red wires put them back as they were
Old 17-10-2010, 09:38 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

That sounds the right way to me, have you checked the settings on the light fitting itself? and for god sake dont go snipping any red wires put them back as they were
yes have checked the settings

the light did not come on via pir when tried the black to brown and then left the brown in a block.

Oh errr, you got worried now with them red wires

Last edited by The Sludge; 17-10-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 17-10-2010, 09:59 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

You deffo got the lux settings down, as im guessing you tried it in daylight?
Old 18-10-2010, 06:08 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

You deffo got the lux settings down, as im guessing you tried it in daylight?
yes- i had to play with it to get it right though.

Last edited by The Sludge; 18-10-2010 at 06:10 AM.