General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Spraying with 2k help needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:51 AM
xr3iAlex
XR3i ALEX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraying with 2k help needed!!!

Hi, its the first time i have ever sprayed with a gun. I am doing a couple of bits on a plain blue transit van. There is a couple of things i am unsure about.(by the way i am spraying in 2 pack)
I asked a car painter how much paint, harder and thinners i will need. He said.
200ml paint.
100ml harder
50ml thinners.

If i wanted more paint thoe how do i work out how much thinners and harder i will need?

He also said to me when you put the paint on put a dust coat on first wait 10 min. Then two coats of paint.

I have bought 2k fast dry harder as well.

Basically i just want a bit of advice, and to make sure what i have been told is correct. Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:11 AM
FordsR4Chavs
BANNED
BANNED

Dont know about the paint to hardener ratio but make sure you use a full air fed mask and use a paint suit as 2k contains Isocyanates which can be lethal. Its important to cover up as it can seep into your bloodstream through exposed skin.
Not trying to scaremonger, its perfectly safe as long as you just take these basic precautions..
Old 07-10-2010, 05:27 AM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

NORMALLY the paint to hardener ratio is 2:1, so divide how how much paint you need into three and two of those is for paint the other one for hardener, simple maths. As for thinners, you will have to add as much as you need, sometimes none at all, sometimes 20 percent, that is just down to experiance though im affraid. As a rule try 10 percent and see how you get on, less is probably best if you are starting off to avoid getting runs. A dust coat then two or three coats is about right, again depends on how well the paint covers, just be very carefull to put on an even coat, avoid "double" coating areas to stop runs! Better to aim for good coverage than gloss from the gun, avoid the temtation to get the gun too close, as this will make it run also.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Dr. Blofeld
Menace to society

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Edges and detail first, large areas last.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:16 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by chaffe
NORMALLY the paint to hardener ratio is 2:1, so divide how how much paint you need into three and two of those is for paint the other one for hardener, simple maths. As for thinners, you will have to add as much as you need, sometimes none at all, sometimes 20 percent, that is just down to experiance though im affraid. As a rule try 10 percent and see how you get on, less is probably best if you are starting off to avoid getting runs. A dust coat then two or three coats is about right, again depends on how well the paint covers, just be very carefull to put on an even coat, avoid "double" coating areas to stop runs! Better to aim for good coverage than gloss from the gun, avoid the temtation to get the gun too close, as this will make it run also.

Top advice,get some heat in the booth/workshop as well to prevent runs,strange as it sounds they get far worse with cold temperatures.

Don't worry about the sheen yet,you can always cut and polish it out afterwards to achieve a good finish.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

Yeah heat, forgot about that! just make sure you get a good finish on detailed ares, door handle recesses etc as you cant polish these areas. Practice will make perfect mate, just remember you can always rub it down and paint it again!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

cleanliness is important to. ideally wipe down the area to be painted with tack rags to remove any dust etc and panel wipe to remove silicone and oily finger prints etc. just prior to spraying. wearing disposable gloves will help.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:04 PM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

that be all good advice up above

however what areas are you intending on painting as theres different methods to spray

also what 2k paint have you got, base or top coat? colour?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
chaffe
Turbocharging Technician

he is using direct gloss blue mate, cleanliness is very important, clean pants are a must
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 PM
xr3iAlex
XR3i ALEX

Default paint

Thanks for all the advice lads. I am all set for tmw now ! any other advice ? Is the paint mixture i have been told correct ? should i wait 10 min on the dust coat?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I wouldn't wait that long on the dust coat but i'd definately wait that long between
proper coats.

Paint mix is fine. Probably put a bit less thinners in it though and see how you get on.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

with fast dry dont leave ten mins or it will be dry ,when you start, spray abit of the masking sheet/ paper ,then the car /panel ,as when the bit you spayed on sheet starts to tack off as you can touch it to see you knw its time for next coat i always use
20%thinners in solid colours