General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

attaching external fuel pump to the outside of the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Dunc Maclean
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attaching external fuel pump to the outside of the fuel tank?

My mates welding me a AN-6 threaded in and out bits onto my standard fuel tank so i can run full aeroquip, but while he had the welder out i was going to get him to weld on a bracket to the side of the tank so i can mount the external fuel pump to the side of the fuel tank instead of using the original mounting bracket that bolts to the underside of the car as u cant get hold of the brackets any more and finding a good one doesnt happen! This is for my Uno Turbo by the way.

question is, will this be ok? is there any reason not to do this? would is be safe mounting the pump this way?

Dunc
Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
the mk1 kid

Originally Posted by Dunc Maclean
My mates welding me a AN-6 threaded in and out bits onto my standard fuel tank so i can run full aeroquip, but while he had the welder out i was going to get him to weld on a bracket to the side of the tank so i can mount the external fuel pump to the side of the fuel tank instead of using the original mounting bracket that bolts to the underside of the car as u cant get hold of the brackets any more and finding a good one doesnt happen! This is for my Uno Turbo by the way.

question is, will this be ok? is there any reason not to do this? would is be safe mounting the pump this way?

Dunc
Hi Dunc,

Dont see why not personally, as long as the bracket was sturdy - however i would give more thought to the safety of welding the tank. I was once firmly warned that you cannot rely on just emptying the tank and letting it sit for a few days before welding, but it must be filled with sand, or an alternative means of pushing the gases out found...?

Others?

Tom
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

it will make the pump noisey if its mounted to the tank imo.

we sell billet fuel pump holders,

http://s294484479.e-shop.info/shop/a...26aid%3D184%26
Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Dunc Maclean

Originally Posted by the mk1 kid
Hi Dunc,

Dont see why not personally, as long as the bracket was sturdy - however i would give more thought to the safety of welding the tank. I was once firmly warned that you cannot rely on just emptying the tank and letting it sit for a few days before welding, but it must be filled with sand, or an alternative means of pushing the gases out found...?

Others?

Tom
Is this Tom from Turbo Collective? lol! why u on a ford forum!

Anyway, the fuel tank has been sat for about 2 years on the shelf in my garage so its definatly empty! Can't see welding it being a problem with regards fire/explosions etc.

James, i was looking at those fuel pump holders. Hmmmmmm. Any reason why u think mounting the pump to the tank will make it noisey?

Dunc
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

if you do, make sure it is rubber mounted. not sure on uno's but if you look at the fuel pump set up on a cossie, the pump is mounted on rubber feet, then the bracket is mounted to the boot floor with rubber.
if it is mounted correctly i dont see any reason why it would be noisy really?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM
the mk1 kid

Originally Posted by Dunc Maclean
Is this Tom from Turbo Collective? lol! why u on a ford forum!

Anyway, the fuel tank has been sat for about 2 years on the shelf in my garage so its definatly empty! Can't see welding it being a problem with regards fire/explosions etc.

James, i was looking at those fuel pump holders. Hmmmmmm. Any reason why u think mounting the pump to the tank will make it noisey?

Dunc
I've just been reading that wind up love letter exchange with the Russian women - its bloody funny!

Anyway, yes tis I, and i could ask you the same question!

The tank will amplify the vibrations i think...

Tom
Old 06-10-2010, 02:53 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by the mk1 kid
The tank will amplify the vibrations i think...

Tom
i would think it would

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Dunc Maclean

Originally Posted by fraser9764
if you do, make sure it is rubber mounted. not sure on uno's but if you look at the fuel pump set up on a cossie, the pump is mounted on rubber feet, then the bracket is mounted to the boot floor with rubber.
if it is mounted correctly i dont see any reason why it would be noisy really?

The Uno fuel pump setup is simlar to the cossies. Im actually using a Bosch Cossie Grp A fuel pump for my UT.

Hmmmm, may have to re-think my design lol! Its just getting it to all line up well with the Areoquip/goodridge etc!

Dunc