General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£50 fine for taking kids on holiday!!

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2010, 12:35 PM
FredElliot
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On topic - I agree with the principal of fines for taking children out of school during term time.

It is not only the absent child whose education "could" suffer as a result, but also that of the classmates who may be deprived of the teachers attention while they attempt to aid the effectively truant pupil to catch up.

Yes a family holiday may be more expensive during the official school holiday timetable, but this is no different for the teachers, who may not have children. These extra costs should be considered by parents as part of the very act of becoming parents in the first place. Just as those who enter education as a career path will have to acknowledge that their holiday timetable is now restricted.

In my opinion, shouting that it is unfair that holidays cost so much more when you have to take them during breaks between school terms is just an extension of the many people in todays society that choose to become parents without giving the first thought as to whether they have the means to support them properly and effectively.

Last edited by FredElliot; 30-09-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:36 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenC
I think this is spelt correctly and I know I'm using it in the correct context. Jog on simple cunt . The day I can be arsed to cross every t and dot every i on here will be a cold day in hell. Hope you find my post as useful as I found yours. Also hope that you practice what you preach, unless you're the same as another ASW on here who likes to think he's above everyone else.
I'm beginning to think that holidays in term time aren't such a good idea!!! (joke)
Old 30-09-2010, 12:39 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by FredElliot
In my opinion, shouting that it is unfair that holidays cost so much more when you have to take them during breaks between school terms is just an extension of the many people in todays society that choose to become parents without giving the first thought as to whether they have the means to support them properly and effectively.
WTF????

Him - "Shall we have some children darling?"
Her - "I'd love to, my sweet, but I fear we may not be able to afford to take them on holiday during the school holidays, so let's not. Let's just get a small dog instead."
Him - "Ok, what a smashing idea."
Old 30-09-2010, 12:45 PM
FredElliot

It is a far removed extension, but an extension all the same IMHO.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:49 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I would suggest it's far enough removed for it to not even be worth bringing into the discussion! While being financially stable should be a prerequisite of having kids, being wealthly shouldn't have to be a requirement.
Old 30-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

I will get slagged for it. but I totally agree with you!

children are expensive things and affect the standard and quality of their parents lives and experiences both positively and negatively....

I think you have a valid point.

Its certainly one of the reasons I don't have or want children.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:02 PM
FredElliot

Dont fret Porkie, people have agreed with me in the past. Rare occasions certainly, but it has happened.

I wouldn't place people who choose to holiday within term time into the same bracket as those who have children, who then hold them in one arm while holding out their other for nappy money.

Having children can. and will. affect almost every aspect of your life. So often it seems that people dont think about these changes before deciding that having children is a good idea.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
I would suggest it's far enough removed for it to not even be worth bringing into the discussion! While being financially stable should be a prerequisite of having kids, being wealthly shouldn't have to be a requirement.

Disagree.

If you can't afford to take your children abroad when you want because its during term time.

Then take them on a cheaper holiday.

I had the grand total of ZERO foreign holidays when I was at school as my parents couldn't afford it.

They both had jobs. They both worked. But we couldn't afford it (mainly because they moved to the best best area they could possibly afford to get me into good schools)

So we went to Margate! (remember ben bom brothers.... I bloody do!)

I know you won't agree... or change your mind.

And nor will I.

So just have to agree to disagree
Old 30-09-2010, 01:03 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porkie

children are expensive things and affect the standard and quality of their parents lives and experiences both positively and negatively....

Exactly
Old 30-09-2010, 01:06 PM
b_kennedy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

WTF????

Him - "Shall we have some children darling?"
Her - "I'd love to, my sweet, but I fear we may not be able to afford to take them on holiday during the school holidays, so let's not. Let's just get a small dog instead."
Him - "Ok, what a smashing idea."
PMSL!!
Old 30-09-2010, 01:18 PM
FredElliot

Off topic - Porkie, your pm box is full.

As above you dont have to be "wealthy" to have kids, indeed as long as people have enough to support children then I dont see the problem.

People should live to their means, whether that be with children or without. If the only holiday that people can afford during the school holidays is a week in Cleethorpes, then a week in Cleethorpes it is.

If you can get a week in Portugal for the same price as a week in Cleethorpes but you have to go during term time then the parents have a choice on what to prioritise.
If a parent feels that pottentially sacrificing a small part of their childs eductaion in favour of a week in Portugal rather than Cleethorpes is worth it in the long run, then thats their choice.

What they can't then do is blame the teachers if little Johnny gets lower gardes than they (the parents) wanted for him.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Mike C
The Special One

People should live to their means, whether that be with children or without. .
This is the concept that most people in this day and age struggle to grasp.

SO many people seem to think it's their god given right to have to the best of everything just because they know someone else who has. If they took their heads out of their arses for five minutes, they may be able to find a way to be able to earn themselves such privileges without cheating the system.....
Old 30-09-2010, 01:21 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They say on average the cost of raising a child is £9500 a year

Im not a parent yet, but i should imagine from the happiness/laughter/fun/love you get from them then thats quite cheap really imo
Old 30-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by danneth
They say on average the cost of raising a child is £9500 a year

Im not a parent yet, but i should imagine from the happiness/laughter/fun/love you get from them then thats quite cheap really imo

Thats your choice mate

I KNOW I will miss out on some truely amazing experiences not having children. (there will also be some bad times! trust me! 99.99% of my friends have kids ranging from 2 weeks old to 25yrs!)

but I have made my decision... and it was one I thought about for a looong time. still do think about it alot.

Trust me... £9500 would be the cost of just one weeks holidaying for the kid if I take them to do the things I like to do!

and I like to holiday lots! and plan to holiday alot more and retire very early....

after lots of consideration I have put myself first.

Some people say thats a selfish thing to do... I think I do actually

Others say that having children is actually the most selfish thing a person can do....

There is an argument for either.

Whatever choice I make though. I won't be BITCHING and MOANING about the positives and negatives OF MY OWN PERSONAL CHOICES!
Old 30-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Pages of the usual PF drivel and not one person has asked how old StephenC's kids are. I think it is relevant before all the comments come back as its not.

If his kids are 4&5 for example then I think a week of them missing "painting autumn pictures" and such like isn't quite the same as a child @ 16 studying for their GCSE's.

Lots of valid points on this thread but as usual no middle ground. It goes from one extreme to the other.
Old 30-09-2010, 01:43 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Thats your choice mate

I KNOW I will miss out on some truely amazing experiences not having children. (there will also be some bad times! trust me! 99.99% of my friends have kids ranging from 2 weeks old to 25yrs!)

but I have made my decision... and it was one I thought about for a looong time. still do think about it alot.

Trust me... £9500 would be the cost of just one weeks holidaying for the kid if I take them to do the things I like to do!

and I like to holiday lots! and plan to holiday alot more and retire very early....

after lots of consideration I have put myself first.

Some people say thats a selfish thing to do... I think I do actually

Others say that having children is actually the most selfish thing a person can do....

There is an argument for either.

Whatever choice I make though. I won't be BITCHING and MOANING about the positives and negatives OF MY OWN PERSONAL CHOICES!
Quite shocked really you not wanting to be a dad, but as you put it like that i can see why now
Old 30-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Very true Kieron. It was actually the first thing I thought of...

I was just enjoying the opportunity for a rant
Old 30-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by danneth
Quite shocked really you not wanting to be a dad, but as you put it like that i can see why now

I love kids and its not purely a financial decision at all.

Far from it...

just not sure its going to be a world I would wanna bring a kid up into for one...

I also cant decide whether kids need stable mother and father figures or whether I could be single father etc etc...

I don't think I agree with monogamy and wouldn't wanna put a kid through a messy break up.

Just lots and lots of things to think of.

As you can see its not something I take at ALL lightly.

Its like playing blackjack... I am on 18... will a child get me to 21?

maybe... but I could also bust!

so I am sticking and very happy on 18 right now
Old 30-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Kieron

Very true Kieron. It was actually the first thing I thought of...

I was just enjoying the opportunity for a rant
Its far too easy to get sucked into it at times! Especially with the extremities being batted about.

You points about affording a child are very valid as are some of the comments about it not being fair. Difficult one as I am a parent and can see both sides. However if I am fortunate enough in the future to be able to afford a holiday for the family I will take them on the best holiday I could afford. If that means budgeting in for a small fine and taking the child out of school for a week to go somewhere nicer then so be it. Obviously as a parent I would have to weigh up the pros and cons about removing my child from education.

Personally whilst I don't necessarily agree with the fines 100%, they are what they are so need to be taken into consideration.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I love kids and its not purely a financial decision at all.

Far from it...

just not sure its going to be a world I would wanna bring a kid up into for one...

I also cant decide whether kids need stable mother and father figures or whether I could be single father etc etc...

I don't think I agree with monogamy and wouldn't wanna put a kid through a messy break up.

Just lots and lots of things to think of.

As you can see its not something I take at ALL lightly.

Its like playing blackjack... I am on 18... will a child get me to 21?

maybe... but I could also bust!

so I am sticking and very happy on 18 right now
You say that now, but one day you might meet a lovely lady and your outlook will change. Happens to a lot of people.

Benni.
Old 30-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Do any of you 'anti-holiday-in-term-time' people actually teach your kids yourself, or do you think that's the school's job?

Not meant as an argumentative point (I know a teacher who doesn't read with her kids because the school does). I just can't help thinking what you do with your kids differs to what we do, as I genuinely can't see how a handful of days off can possibly be considered detrimental to the child's development.
Its not the actual days off, Its the teaching the child that its not important when you do have a day off!
Old 30-09-2010, 03:05 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's not selfish putting yourself first, if you don't want to have kids you don't want to have kids

some people want loads of kids and they can't and once you've had them you can't part ex them for a new model ever 6 months so it's a staggeringly huge decision to make

if you are happy as you are then fine

the other thing though is, why do people feel the need to go on holiday?

it's a luxury, not an essential part of your life, so if you can't afford to go don't go

my kids aren't going to remember going to butlins or barbados so they get taken down the park if is sunny and swimming if we can find the time or out to the shops to look at stuff they can't buy

spending 2 months wages on a week away is stupid if you can't afford to do it, which is why my aunt jets off 5 times a year because she wants to "keep up with the joneses", the joneses being her sister who married into money and has not a care in the world while she works every hour possible to save enough mney to pay off the credit cards that have enebaled the family to go on holiday

fucking madness

i've been on holiday twice, if it counts, both times with the school on one of their camping trips for a week at a time, and i don't miss it
Old 30-09-2010, 03:17 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Disagree.

If you can't afford to take your children abroad when you want because its during term time.

I had the grand total of ZERO foreign holidays when I was at school as my parents couldn't afford it.

They both had jobs. They both worked. But we couldn't afford it (mainly because they moved to the best best area they could possibly afford to get me into good schools)

And nor will I.

I don't disagree in the slightest. I never had ANY overseas holidays as a kid, and I've only taken my eldest overseas once to Tenerife, and only because my wife's mum lives there, so we had a free holiday.

My argument wasn't about expensive holidays overseas, it was about how taking your kids out of school for a few days isn't as damaging as some people want to make out.

We always have holidays in the UK, whether it be Corwall, Wales or wherever. We simply can't justify the cost of a big-bucks holiday, and would rather be careful with our money to ensure our children have a stable and secure life.

I still stand by the fact that taking our kids off school every now and again does not harm them in any way, shape or form.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Kieron

Porkie this may be a little painful for you to read. Be warned!!
Old 30-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Benni
You say that now, but one day you might meet a lovely lady and your outlook will change. Happens to a lot of people.

Benni.

I meet lots. Just have no interest in settling down with one. I know what I am like and I know how it will end up!

18... I'm sticking!

or another analogy... right this second, I LOVE my F430 like no other car before! its everything I have ever wanted... but I know sooner or later I will fancy a 458 or a CGT!

one 'car' is never enough for most people... I am just a realistic about it.

Alot of people kid themselves... fall in 'love' get married... do the kids thing but then ultimately end up in loveless relationships and awkward family situations they cant get out of...

Doesn't appeal to me at all.

You get one shot at life.... and I wanna enjoy EVERY single second!

Last edited by Porkie; 30-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:37 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

pmsl @ porkie

what if it was 19 ?
Old 30-09-2010, 03:40 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Its not the actual days off, Its the teaching the child that its not important when you do have a day off!
It is possible to explain to your child what you're doing though!

I have to point out that I'm only talking about a couple of days here and there. I would NEVER take my child off school for two weeks, and even a week is pushing it.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:41 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Alot of people kid themselves... fall in 'love' get married... do the kids thing but then ultimately end up in loveless relationships and awkward family situations they cant get out of...
It is possibly to genuinely fall in love, and to be genuinely happy you know
Old 30-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by R4N S S
pmsl @ porkie

what if it was 19 ?

hit me
Old 30-09-2010, 03:46 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disagree.

And nor will I.

Sounds like my childhood! Although, we went to suffolk

Never went abroad when I was in school with my parents, never went on holidays in term time full stop. Didn't do me any harm, as said, it's a luxury, not a need. So to an extent I agree with chip (although not in the way he's put his point across ) but, also think that a week per year won't do alot to the childs education, especially in primry school. When I was at school people could apply for holiday time, and one of my mates used to go every year. I know he wasn't affected by it, as he's now studying at cambridge uni, and is one clever bastard
Old 30-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

It is possibly to genuinely fall in love, and to be genuinely happy you know

of course it is!

BLACK JACK BABY!

I do know that and for those that achieve it. Good on em!

very very jealous.

never actually met any myself yet though!

A quick look at the divorce rate and the percentage of people having affairs is interesting reading!

I read yesterday that the massive increase in infidelity between couples is being blamed on the RECESSION!

because people have to spend more time at work blah blah blah and relationships are being formed etc etc etc.

made me laugh that did
Old 30-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

I can honestly say I have learned more outside of school than inside it.
Old 30-09-2010, 03:51 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

A quick look at the divorce rate and the percentage of people having affairs is interesting reading!
Pretty much all our 'mum n dad' friends (who we met through having children) are in largely loveless relationships, holding it together for the kids.

So many people settle down with 'a' person, rather than the 'right' person!
Old 30-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Pretty much all our 'mum n dad' friends (who we met through having children) are in largely loveless relationships, holding it together for the kids.

So many people settle down with 'a' person, rather than the 'right' person!
thats kinda what I find too mate....

no interest in that at all.

good on the people that do find happiness. I love sharing my live with my friends and family. So if you genuinely find one person to do it with.... must feel amazing!
Old 30-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenC
I think this is spelt correct and I know im using it inthe correct context, jog on simple cunt
Unfortunately you're fucking wrong and that reply is totally arsey.

You were looking for "their" as you were referring to people.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It is possible to explain to your child what you're doing though!

I have to point out that I'm only talking about a couple of days here and there. I would NEVER take my child off school for two weeks, and even a week is pushing it.
Im not going to completely disagree with you as im not stupid and there is a difference between 2 weeks and a few days but still.

I can HONESTLY say if someone offered me and the kids a free holiday for the week and it was in school time i would NOT go.

some people may say thats outrageous but IMO its not, its teaching your kids that an education is VITAL and the most improtant thing. Which in my view it is!

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 30-09-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I still stand by the fact that taking our kids off school every now and again does not harm them in any way, shape or form.
I think the opposite. Sorry...

Kids look to their parents for so much, If they are taught from a young age that taking a few days off here and there (and you being so flippant and relaxed about it) is ok then that must be damaging.

The thing is none us know we are right and there is no txtbook, we all have different views but mate that statement is outrageous.
Old 30-09-2010, 04:40 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

hit me
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_counting

Old 30-09-2010, 04:41 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
I think the opposite. Sorry...

Kids look to their parents for so much, If they are taught from a young age that taking a few days off here and there (and you being so flippant and relaxed about it) is ok then that must be damaging.

The thing is none us know we are right and there is no txtbook, we all have different views but mate that statement is outrageous.
If you know the right and wrong's in life then they will be fine, i know plenty of kids who have had the odd week off for holidays and they still ended up with full attendance ( minus the holiday ) and plenty of A*s
Old 30-09-2010, 04:45 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Unfortunately you're fucking wrong and that reply is totally arsey.

You were looking for "their" as you were referring to people.
wow, are you chips' stunt double or something? Seriously some people need to get a grip, bearing in mind all my posting today has been done from my phone I'm quite chuffed!! As for an arsey reply a) whats it got to do with you and b) its an arsey reply to an arsey post, both of which had/have nothing to do with you. On a brighter note, I beleive WWW.PASSION-GRAMMER-FOR-THE-ANALLY-RETENTIVE.CO.UK are taking new members on, of which I can think of quite a few members on here who could join.

Quick Reply: £50 fine for taking kids on holiday!!