General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

£50 fine for taking kids on holiday!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and as for boarding schools
i went from age 10 to 18,NOTHING to do with parents not wanting me,my dad was in the military and we lived in Denmark,so rather difficult to go to school there,and even when we weren't there we moved every 2 years or so,new school,new friends,different stage of the curriculum being taught at the time (ie, i did the Normans THREE times due to changing schools when i was young!i am an expert on it now!)

boarding schools are incredibly divorced from the way the media portrays them,my school was full of military kids, and not just officer types,a lot were from Portsmouth and Plymouth and were not "dicky bow" types. The local kids from day schools always used to come up and try it on with the "posh kids", i dont remember a single time they didnt go home with their tails between their legs!

the education is second to none,the opportunities are amazing and the friends you can make will last a lifetime.i had a stable set of friends for 8 years as opposed to being the new boy every 2 years so i personally enjoyed it.if i have kids and can afford it,my kids will go to private education,no questions.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
left hooker
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all i can say after reading all the posts i wouldnt like to be catholic lol
Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
oh and as for boarding schools
i went from age 10 to 18,NOTHING to do with parents not wanting me,my dad was in the military and we lived in Denmark,so rather difficult to go to school there,and even when we weren't there we moved every 2 years or so,new school,new friends,different stage of the curriculum being taught at the time (ie, i did the Normans THREE times due to changing schools when i was young!i am an expert on it now!)

boarding schools are incredibly divorced from the way the media portrays them,my school was full of military kids, and not just officer types,a lot were from Portsmouth and Plymouth and were not "dicky bow" types. The local kids from day schools always used to come up and try it on with the "posh kids", i dont remember a single time they didnt go home with their tails between their legs!

the education is second to none,the opportunities are amazing and the friends you can make will last a lifetime.i had a stable set of friends for 8 years as opposed to being the new boy every 2 years so i personally enjoyed it.if i have kids and can afford it,my kids will go to private education,no questions.
Echo the above, I was in similar circumstances. Best thing my parents ever did. Mine will be going aswell if I can afford it.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridgey
IMO it just shows your level of responsibility as a parent.
Nothing to do with costs or what would be missed in lessons.
Plus it sets an example for our future generations on priorities.

Social standards are slipping in this country (and we all are unhappy about them), and some of the replies to this thread reconfirm my dismay at the way this country is going.
Think how you feel if you are from my generation. I have to believe the shite being talked by these so called responsible parents on this thread is just internet talk & they really do have some sort of sense & responsibility.
Thankfully my own son does not have this me before my kid attitude & realises why these rules are there & respects them.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would utterly hate to send my children to a boarding school, the thought of not seeing them for days, let alone weeks at a time is hideous.

I want it to be me and my wife who bring them up, not a teacher.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
callummarshall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

arsed with all this balls I’m 17 still going to school and if you wanted a day off you just wrote has to go to orthodontist in Dundee (day trip away) and if you need a week off just think of something that cant penalise you for hospital, funerals at the other end of the country ect.
had a mate who’s folks had a villa in Spain problem was buying the villa they spent most of their money so needed budget plane tickets so my mate and brother's uncle (insert name here) died and they went a week before schools went off then him and his bro got sent back when the hols end saves them a fortune every year and I can’t blame them.
I think if you want time off you should be allowed it without having to come up with bullshit excuses, I remember going to America a week before the hols and going to my teachers and getting caught up after school ect when I was back.