General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

EGR weirdness on Mondeo Tdci 2.0 04

Search this Thread

Old 24-09-2010, 03:53 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR weirdness on Mondeo Tdci 2.0 04

Hi so i bought a diesel mondeo CHEAP because the guy thought the turbo was shot, its a 2004 (04) tdci 115 (euro 4 i think as egr has electric plug and vacuum hose) it has low power up to 2000 revs then shoots off leaving a cloud of black smoke! even tho i love this "feature" when someone is driving up your arse and you can smoke them out it isnt great for day to day driving, so looking at forums on here i typed in the symptons and everyones says its the EGR, so i thought id give it a clean but nothing (im an amatuer so dont think i did it well!) next i read about blocking the egr and this is where my confusion sits

I have a EGR that has an electrical plug going to it AND A Vacuum hose (people only seem to posting issues with either electric or vacuum) so as i dont have a plate to block it with yet i thought id try blocking the vacuum (with a screw) and the unplugging the electrical plug and hey presto NO SMOKE and low power back! it didnt seem to pull as much when the turbo kicked in but did seem to help alot (only drove a mile or so)

so my question is... what is my PERMANENT solution to this?
can i use a blocking plate?
if i dont make a hole in the plate will this damage the engine? (euro 4)
if i make a hole will it make any difference?
do i leave the cable unplugged or will this cause a sensor issue?
if there is a split in the air hose at the bottom of the egr will i still have to repair if im blocking it?

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR EVEN READING ALL THAT!!
Old 24-09-2010, 04:20 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

buy a new egr?

take it off again and make sure its free etc
Old 24-09-2010, 04:25 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If the hose is spit yes, replace that first - could well be the cause of the smoke.

Blanking off the EGR isn't as straightforward with the Euro 4 as it triggers the Management light, so you need to drill a hole, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the blanking plate.

Have a look on talkford.com in the Mondeo TDCi section, lots of info there.
Old 24-09-2010, 04:25 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

i was hoping to bypass the use of the egr altogether given their reputation for being a pain the ass!
Old 24-09-2010, 04:26 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

if i can live with the engine management light can i just leave it on? or will it cause other more serious issues?
Old 24-09-2010, 04:27 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

aso ive had a good look up and down it and i a feel and it doesnt seem split but i dont know how to remove it fully
Old 24-09-2010, 04:36 PM
retro d
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the EGR VALVE OFF AND CLEAN IT AND DE COKE.
Old 24-09-2010, 04:42 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

sorry i seem to be getting across wrong, ive had a good look round and know about cleaning it out and have already done so, all i want to know is wether blanking the egr will do any damage on the euro 4 engine. by damage i dont mean the EM light i mean actual damage and wether once blanked off i should unplug the electrical connector and the vacuum hose? or block the vacuum hose
Old 24-09-2010, 05:35 PM
mattlucas1
Virgin

Do you think I'd be ok to drive it tonight 15 miles with the egr unplugged and a screw in the vacuum hose?
Old 24-09-2010, 05:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mattlucas1
i was hoping to bypass the use of the egr altogether given their reputation for being a pain the ass!
It's ECU controlled so while you can block it off you can't completely remove it.

if i can live with the engine management light can i just leave it on? or will it cause other more serious issues?
It could cause to car to go into limp home mode in extreme circumstances. Also if the EML is on all the time you won't see it coming on if something does start playing up.

aso ive had a good look up and down it and i a feel and it doesnt seem split but i dont know how to remove it fully
Hose clips at top and bottom! You need to get the bottom one from below on the left hand side of the intercooler. You may not feel a split but it would be wise to take it off and properly inspect it. Oily residue on or around the pipe is a good sign.

It won't do any harm to drive it about a short distance, but I don't know the implications on a Euro 4 of long term unplugging!