General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

my problems with a trader!!! help needed please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 13-09-2010, 09:16 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my problems with a trader!!! help needed please!!!

hi everyone,

brought my e46 m3 at the end of july from a trader, he sent a photocopy of his side of the logbook back and now the dvla wont accept it. and to top it of a bonnet switch, a/c belt and the rear coilsprings have snapped there pigtails off at 36000 miles.

just wondering what you guys think i should do, as i want to give them the car back and get my money back. £14000 for a m3 and all this hassle at 36000 miles really doesnt sound worth the money really.

cheers charlie.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Danster76
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No chance. They may put it right but don't need to refund you.

I would call. Politely air your issues and they will probably ask you to return the car to them so they can get things sorted. If they don't want to know send them a recorded letter airing same issues as re: conversation dated whenever etc. Say you'd like a response within 14 days etc etc...you will get a result from them I'm sure.

Last edited by Danster76; 13-09-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:41 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why did he send a photocopy of the v5 and not the original?or if he didnt have the original-where was it?

can he/you not just apply for a new v5 in your name?
Old 13-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

sorry but 14k and no V5,

1 alarm bells ringing would be ringing
2 run a way, no matter his excuse was(as they always seem to have one)
Old 13-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

maybe time to remove or edit your listing then
Old 13-09-2010, 09:49 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

Rear coil springs are a common fault on E46 BMWs
Old 13-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Danster76

With regards to the V5. I take it you have the V5c2 new keepers supplement (green slip)? Go to the post office complete a V62 form, tick box which says you are the new keeper and V5 wasn't provided = NO £25 fee to pay. Send it off, wait 4-6 weeks, new V5 issued to your address jobs a good'un

Trending Topics

Old 13-09-2010, 09:52 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Originally Posted by Spiky
sorry but 14k and no V5,

1 alarm bells ringing would be ringing
2 run a way, no matter his excuse was(as they always seem to have one)
there was a v5 but ive just got a letter back with the photocopy of the logbook from the dvla.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:53 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Originally Posted by Danster76
With regards to the V5. I take it you have the V5c2 new keepers supplement (green slip)? Go to the post office complete a V62 form, tick box which says you are the new keeper and V5 wasn't provided = NO £25 fee to pay. Send it off, wait 4-6 weeks, new V5 issued to your address jobs a good'un
cheers for that. ill do that if the problem doesnt get sorted in the morning.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:55 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Originally Posted by Ryan
maybe time to remove or edit your listing then
im dropping the car off to be fixed in the morning. so the only problem is the v5.

so hopefully they could get in contact with the dvla and get it sorted out quicker.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:56 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
why did he send a photocopy of the v5 and not the original?or if he didnt have the original-where was it?

can he/you not just apply for a new v5 in your name?
aint got a clue why he has send the v5 as a photocopy but the dvla sent me the photocopy back in the post with a v62.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:57 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tbh fella,modern coilsprings are a huge problem,my aunties 325ci's had them done 3 times in the last four mots,all snapped by the pigtail end.

I think you'll be very unlikely to recieve any sort of refund as in all honesty their typical faults of any car.the logbook thing is odd though,of course the Dvla wouldn't accept a photocopy,youd be better off applying direct.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:59 PM
rs_cos
3 door resto in progress

Originally Posted by vaughant
Tbh fella,modern coilsprings are a huge problem,my aunties 325ci's had them done 3 times in the last four mots,all snapped by the pigtail end.

I think you'll be very unlikely to recieve any sort of refund as in all honesty their typical faults of any car.the logbook thing is odd though,of course the Dvla wouldn't accept a photocopy,youd be better off applying direct.
shouldnt the coilsprings be under the warrenty? got 3 months with the car and had it 1 1/2 months now
Old 13-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Danster76

Mine wouldn't cover it but on a 14k car my goodwill would
Old 13-09-2010, 10:05 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

prob wont cover any wear and tear issue's
and as its a common prob it'd be classed as wear and tear,
but dont hurt to try
Old 13-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And its BOUGHT not BROUGHT......" I bought an M3"
Old 14-09-2010, 07:00 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to dispel some myths here.
Sale of goods act, relating specifically to cars, YOU HAVE 6 MONTHS IN LAW, doesn't matter what any dealer says, they aren't the law, the only exception is if you bought the car at a much reduced rate, ie below market value.
The 6 months in LAW warranty states simply and clearly that ANY defect was there at the time of sale and is 100% TOTALLY DOWN TO THE SELLER, where they are a garage/seller, as simple as that.
This of course excludes fair wear and tear, ie tyres wipers etc.
This applies to any age car sold by a dealer/seller fort the market value.
Your faults are not fair wear and tear.
The spring issue has been caused by the eu lowering the amount of sulphur allowed in the mix of metal, this gives far greater ductility, that's why it's seen as a new problem, ie since the change.
tabetha
Old 14-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Just to dispel some myths here.
Sale of goods act, relating specifically to cars, YOU HAVE 6 MONTHS IN LAW, doesn't matter what any dealer says, they aren't the law, the only exception is if you bought the car at a much reduced rate, ie below market value.
The 6 months in LAW warranty states simply and clearly that ANY defect was there at the time of sale and is 100% TOTALLY DOWN TO THE SELLER, where they are a garage/seller, as simple as that.
This of course excludes fair wear and tear, ie tyres wipers etc.
This applies to any age car sold by a dealer/seller fort the market value.
Your faults are not fair wear and tear.
The spring issue has been caused by the eu lowering the amount of sulphur allowed in the mix of metal, this gives far greater ductility, that's why it's seen as a new problem, ie since the change.
tabetha

100% WRONG

the min warranty given can be as low as 1 month even if sold at sticker price

with regards to faults , if the fault was on the car at time of sale then the dealer is responsible to fix it

if a fault happens AFTER sale then the dealer has the right to ask for the car to be returned and fixed by him or his chosen garage at his costs

BUT , if the fault is down to miss use , common fault that is covered my manufacturers warranty then he can refuse to fix

this is a very very grey area and one that most reasonable traders will assist with and fix , but if you get a shitty dealer it is oftern more hassle than its worth to try and get them to fix

Sales of goods act etc is a guide line only as there is many variants on these laws depending on age / miles / type of vehicle

If its an old car say like a cossie , you will find the laws differ a lot and it is accepted that these old cars will or can have issues due to there age etc

If the fault on the car in question is a common fault then the dealer im sure will be happy to fix
Old 14-09-2010, 08:02 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure about the log book part but how old is the car ? regardless of mileage its going to be no younger than 6 years old a a/c belt is a servicable part so you cant complain of that , a bonnet switch isnt expensive either & everybody in their granny knows that rear springs break its hardly grounds for a buy back! You spent 14k on a car that was round about 50k new & you expect it to be factory
Old 14-09-2010, 09:01 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rs_cos
shouldnt the coilsprings be under the warrenty? got 3 months with the car and had it 1 1/2 months now
`

Not really bud,but you could try asking them to go halfway on the job,pretty sure the pattern parts wouldn`t be more than about £70 IIRC and its a nice easy job,about 1/2 hr labour I think.

V belt is odd to go at that mileage but in all honesty I personally don`t believe the e46 is as well made as other BMW`s but thats just me.

I`d be totally amazed if they gave you a refund as these are very minor faults. I wonder whether the DVLA sent you a photocopy of the logbook to show that there was something that the trader filled in wrong?

If you`ve taxed it then there you should at least have the green slip so fill the details in and send that off,maybe if possible go to your local DVLA office and they`ll sort it for you.
Old 14-09-2010, 09:01 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Danster76

Just to add I've done this. It's an easy process and as stated totally free so will get you out of trouble with that.