General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

vw camper vans???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM
nickywarwick
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vw camper vans???

hi, anyone on here clued up on classic vw camper vans? i realy fancy one as a project but i have no idea what to look for, i think the model/s im looking for would be a t2 split screen or a t25 with the bit more plastic front end. does that make sence? id prefer a camper with pop out roof but id have a pannel van and do windows my self if need be.

are there any good forums etc for them? im guessing there is but i thaught id try here first as thers bits of everything. what engines etc have been known to be fitted?

cheers nic
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

I wouldn't bother myself unless you do want a real long term project, I know someone who is doing one just now and he's still welding 2 1/2 yrs later. I thot my old xr2 was rotten till I had a look at the thread he put on some camper van site and I've never saw Anything like it, if you do go for it I hope it's something you really want to do as once you start you will find more and more and more
Old 12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
nickywarwick

hi, it is somthing i realy realy want to do, i no the scene is suposed to be huge aswell, i want it to be a long project depending on whats wrong etc, i ment t1 split screen t2 is flatter front end an t25 has a plasticer front end and squarer.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:03 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

think split screens are more desirable, but to be honest most are going to be rust money pits with rare parts that are hard to get hold of cheaply - sounds familar lol!!

Campervan Crisis on discovery was a good show to watch, lets you know just how much time and effort they end up taking, might be worth seeing if you can watch the series on the discovery channel website.

My sisters fella does a bit in them and says they are far cheaper in wales for some reason, thinks people just dont want to travel that far to get them so sell cheaper.

Last edited by matts1; 12-09-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

rot is the biggest issue; lots of parts available for them though

up over the rear axel is terrible for rot; and it is a nightmare to get to with the welder
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM
nacnac
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a look on here. some prety involved threds in the rides and projects section. good luck
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM
nickywarwick

cheers guys for your help an imput so far im realy interested to see what i can find out.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
m4tt274
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my uncles got one and maybe its just his but it drives APPALLINGLY! steers all over the place, brakes are crap! (coming from a person who has a mk1 fiesta) and it was guttless (coming from a person who has a mk1 fiesta) lol
but it looked very cool on the plus side
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If your new to the scene then get a T25 as their a lot more user friendly than the early ones,which command frankly ridiculous premiums and if you can even find a shitter then you'll be literally welding for years to come.

Get one with a ticket on it so you know the worst has been done,not sure about the Wales thing as they seem expensive round here to me but I'm no expert!!

Engine conversion wise I think the skys the limit but a good bet would be a tdi out of a passat or something like that as your sticking to vw .I'd avoid the td engine from the old golfs etc as there very underpowered and getting on now.

Stick to something reasonably economical as you won't mind when your touring about then.

If your just after a project to make a nice camper then I'd avoid the whole vw scene and get either a turbo transit hi top(newer shape),sprinter or the like and just concentrate on the inside,putting the bed,cooker etc in.if you still want a vw camper,you can sell your project on at a huge profit and get a nice FINISHED vw!!!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
nickywarwick

hi, its the vw camper scene that im trying to learn about an i like the look of the t25 particularly this: http://pistonheads.com/sales/2057188.htm

engine wise i think id be thinking around 02 onwards 1.9tdi from the vw range .if its posible
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
BRAM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick you have some mad ideas you!!

I thought you wanted something like a focus rs not a camper van lol
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM
nickywarwick

haha ive always loved vw campers man steve,

one day ill have another rs but im not particularly interested in them that much anymore, the vw scene is crazy & suits everyone. i wanted t build a track van using a berlingo or a partner & a 106gti engine but i sold the engine & van. now i want a camper to restor over a couple years then i can use it for my bikes etc.

hows things like steve?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:38 PM
nickywarwick

also a 2.2 subaru boxer engine fits virtualy straight into the t25 appariently its a common transplant.
Old 13-09-2010, 06:43 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive got a few mates who are well into this scene and i must say you've really got to read up alot first to make sure u want to take on such a project. Would u do all the welding yourself? It'll cost u thousands otherwise. One mate sent his to be blasted, dipped whatever they do and went it come out the dip there was virtually nothing left of it lol. The split screen models are worth a crazy amount now, u wont be paying any less than say 7grand and for that money your lookin at one needing major work. Apparently as it goes, the more windows they have the more desirable they are. So for example a split screen with the windows running along the sides on the roof are worth a fortune and now fetch anything up to 30k. My mate has one like this and he got it for 2k. He can weld and is a bodywork and painter by trade so he is going to be making a very tidy profit.
Old 13-09-2010, 07:02 PM
nickywarwick

hi, im sure i do, id do all the welding, bodywork & mechanical work myself i realy like the t25 as there kinda my version of a classic bein as im only 23. if i could afford a split screen i would but ther an absolute fortune in any state.

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
ive got a few mates who are well into this scene and i must say you've really got to read up alot first to make sure u want to take on such a project. Would u do all the welding yourself? It'll cost u thousands otherwise. One mate sent his to be blasted, dipped whatever they do and went it come out the dip there was virtually nothing left of it lol. The split screen models are worth a crazy amount now, u wont be paying any less than say 7grand and for that money your lookin at one needing major work. Apparently as it goes, the more windows they have the more desirable they are. So for example a split screen with the windows running along the sides on the roof are worth a fortune and now fetch anything up to 30k. My mate has one like this and he got it for 2k. He can weld and is a bodywork and painter by trade so he is going to be making a very tidy profit.
Old 13-09-2010, 07:10 PM
BRAM

Originally Posted by nickywarwick
haha ive always loved vw campers man steve,

one day ill have another rs but im not particularly interested in them that much anymore, the vw scene is crazy & suits everyone. i wanted t build a track van using a berlingo or a partner & a 106gti engine but i sold the engine & van. now i want a camper to restor over a couple years then i can use it for my bikes etc.

hows things like steve?
Things are ok nick havent seen you for a while you should pop over have a look at our lees car been doing a few more mods to it.

What you been upto?
Old 13-09-2010, 07:32 PM
nickywarwick

ano mate ive been into ford a few times but i havnt had time to come into workshop, so i here about lee's car like ive been meening to read the thread more on here cos i keep getting updates sent to my phone lol. i should have a pop over sometime though to have a spy. hows urs coming on you touched it at all?
Old 13-09-2010, 08:08 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

go on www.volkszone.com

here one were doing

about 6 months worth of welding ahead
Old 13-09-2010, 08:12 PM
nickywarwick

ahh thats cool. what are the plans for it?
Old 13-09-2010, 08:23 PM
BRAM

no nick mate i havent touched it for ages its still just a shell will have to start getting back into it soon.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:40 PM
nickywarwick

when are you planning for it to be back together like steve? you guna thread it on here aswell?