General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

question for spray painter or welders

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:43 PM
rsturbo27
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for spray painter or welders

the guy who gonna spray my car has said he,s not happy that the welder has been use'ing ..seam sealer.. on the welded joints on all the panels, he,s welded on my car. any1 shed sum light on this
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

any pics mate? Seam sealer shouldn't be a problem to the painter. Unless your welder has used something thats not over paintable
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Sounds full of shit im no painter/welder but thought you had to seam seal joints
Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
bigjohn0
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell your painter he needs to learn his job
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
airbrushfx
PassionFord Regular

i'm a paint sprayer/airbrusher by trade, i think the sprayer may have said he wasn't happy that your welder HADN'T used seam sealer maybe? unless he's done a piss poor job and just slapped it on and your sprayers a whinging bitch cause he has to sand the joints down boohoo
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsturbo27
the guy who gonna spray my car has said he,s not happy that the welder has been use'ing ..seam sealer.. on the welded joints on all the panels, he,s welded on my car. any1 shed sum light on this

The guys a mong,if you DONT seam seal it'll rust back through very quickly.my painter dosent love painting over it as he argues you can't "key" it very well but I tell him to shut the fuck up and get on with it!!!

Only once I didn't do it on a car and where it had been welded the rust came straight back through the filler and paint,it looked shit and I had to do it all over again.

What's his problem with it,I'd have thought he's going to be more pissed if it WASNT seam sealed?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 PM
rsturbo27
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think he,s pissed he,s gotta sand a little my welder wents nuts when I told him wot the sprayer said , the welder is doing a good job then thanks for advice
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsturbo27
I think he,s pissed he,s gotta sand a little my welder wents nuts when I told him wot the sprayer said , the welder is doing a good job then thanks for advice
Think you've hit the nail on the head there mush,your welders saving you a job really as unsealed it'll rust like fuck again.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

Upol do a seam sealer in a grey tin, we used to buy it all the time, but they have taken so much out of it now, on some occasions when we painted over it, it would all shrink and crack up! and look shit, we also had problems after welding, because we pure zinc coat before welding and before seam sealer, and again we would zinc a repair then seam seal and it would react!!!

So now we use sikaflex which is basically what the factories use, it goes over anything, dont shrink, dont crack, and paints over with no problems at all.

We also use the sparay on type Wurth system also very good and this mimics the factory finish with rubberised sealer.

So maybe he has had the same issues with the old grey brushable seam seal from Upol???