General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What isp to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 21-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What isp to go with?

Ive always had major ball ache problems with BT and my home hub. I use my laptop wireless and i have my 2 xbox 360s also wireless.

The major problems ive been having with it is that when im on xbox live on my elite console, it randomly kicks me off then cant connect to xbox live. I purchased a new style 360 a few weeks ago and this is having issues also. Its fine hard wired in to the router, But as soon as i try and connect wireless it works for a wee while then comes up with an error saying ip address cant be obtained.

Its pissing me off a bit but ive had enough of BT. I came home from offshore once to find my hub with a red light on. 2 weeks later they fixed the problem that was at their end all along, after a lot of phone calls and having no net for 2 weeks without a refund im wanting away.

Long and short of it. I need to get someone better, will anyone be better? And cheaper. Im paying a fortune for it just now and i already have sky.
If i was to get sky am i still going to be going through BT??

Any info would be great as i need away from BT.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:14 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you not get virgin??
Old 21-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Im sure i could danneth, im just wondering if its better to go through sky and get the whole lot from them, i dont like the virgin box, so im really only looking for Internet.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:21 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Virgin's net is amazing the best about by far, i have my internet with them and tv with sky, its a must if your into gaming as well low/stable ping, no downtime, no disconnecting etc
Old 21-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Sounds exactly what i need, Thanks Danneth ill look into it today
Old 21-08-2010, 11:41 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

my 20 meg connection

11 ping and just about 20meg never changes either
Old 21-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

Thats mine, its fast just now as its early in the day yet.
Thats up to 20mb too
Old 21-08-2010, 11:47 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Not only is it a shit speed then, look at the ping :-( no good for the gaming
Old 21-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Dexy
DTFTW

exactly why its fucking my gaming up, it usually goes up to 120 when searching for a game to play online, Is your fibre optic?

I wonder what i need to do to change to virgin?
Ill need to cancel my BT anyway, but do i still need to keep a BT line in to the flat? It does say on their site no need for a bt line. Hmm need to work it out and get switched over.
Old 21-08-2010, 11:56 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Dexy
exactly why its fucking my gaming up, it usually goes up to 120 when searching for a game to play online, Is your fibre optic?

I wonder what i need to do to change to virgin?
Ill need to cancel my BT anyway, but do i still need to keep a BT line in to the flat? It does say on their site no need for a bt line. Hmm need to work it out and get switched over.

Yes virgin is fibre none of this shitty copper stuff go on there site think you can do a postcode search to see if you can get it
Old 21-08-2010, 01:19 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

If you can go Virgin, do. The net connections are so much better and the customer service (IMO) is much better.

If you can't get cable, then you're stuck with ADSL. The majority of them use BT's backbone, I think Sky has started installing its own kit into exchanges. If it was me, I'd be looking at the smaller ISP's for connectivity, someone like http://www.madasafish.com/ who have a very good reputation and have some good deals.

Cheers

Matt
Old 21-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Im on sky, i run a wireless laptop and when my kids are over they are both on the ps3s and ive never have any connection issues
Old 21-08-2010, 02:43 PM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Where do you mate, i'm a BT engineer and they have just started rolling out BT Firbe Broadband, There's only a small number of exchanges across the counrty that are live at the moment. If you go on the BT home page and search Infinity Broadband it'll tell you if and when your exchange is likly to be done.

I actually do the installs for the Firbe and there all around the 32Mb-37Mb mark with a ping of around 15 - 25 ms. Have you tried using ethernet power adaptors??? i've been to loads of ADSL faults where the customers saying it drops connect etc to wireless devices. Hard wired is so much more reliable, plus it's a faster connection.

It doesn't matter what service provider you the line is still a BT line, it's just the equipment at the exchange that is different. If you have any extensions try removing them and plugging 1 filter in with the Hub into the main socket (NTE5a). The more sockets and filters you have the slower the speed.

Ginger
Old 21-08-2010, 02:44 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by GINGExR2 T
Where do you mate, i'm a BT engineer and they have just started rolling out BT Firbe Broadband, There's only a small number of exchanges across the counrty that are live at the moment. If you go on the BT home page and search Infinity Broadband it'll tell you if and when your exchange is likly to be done.

I actually do the installs for the Firbe and there all around the 32Mb-37Mb mark with a ping of around 15 - 25 ms. Have you tried using ethernet power adaptors??? i've been to loads of ADSL faults where the customers saying it drops connect etc to wireless devices. Hard wired is so much more reliable, plus it's a faster connection.

It doesn't matter what service provider you the line is still a BT line, it's just the equipment at the exchange that is different. If you have any extensions try removing them and plugging 1 filter in with the Hub into the main socket (NTE5a). The more sockets and filters you have the slower the speed.

Ginger

good to see BT finally going fibre, what sort of speeds are they looking at over say the next two years???
Old 21-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dexy dont think we can get super speeds in aberdeen? Well deffo not in the shire with me
Old 21-08-2010, 02:50 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

im getting 13meg download on my new phone
Old 21-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Luketehpro
Regular Contributor

tbh id never ever play online games wireless always hard wired, wireless causes alot probs wi connections and lag, been a gamer for 7 years or so now only on PC like but always hard wired
Old 21-08-2010, 04:01 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't fault o2!
Old 21-08-2010, 04:21 PM
AndyR1
PassionFord Regular

Thumbs up

cannt beat virgin 50 meg
Old 21-08-2010, 04:26 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luketehpro
tbh id never ever play online games wireless always hard wired, wireless causes alot probs wi connections and lag, been a gamer for 7 years or so now only on PC like but always hard wired
See, I don't think this is true, I've been gaming years, and when I was on wi-fi I had no lag or connection problems. I've only gone wired as my wi-fi card has buggered up, and i cba buying a new one.
Old 21-08-2010, 04:27 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
See, I don't think this is true, I've been gaming years, and when I was on wi-fi I had no lag or connection problems. I've only gone wired as my wi-fi card has buggered up, and i cba buying a new one.

depends what games you play, 99% of them you wont notice it try playing cs on wireless and your recoil is crazy bad
Old 21-08-2010, 05:10 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by danneth
depends what games you play, 99% of them you wont notice it try playing cs on wireless and your recoil is crazy bad
CSS is all I used to play, and I never got any trouble
(and before you say it, no it wasn't cos I was shit )
Old 21-08-2010, 05:12 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

CSS is all I used to play, and I never got any trouble
(and before you say it, no it wasn't cos I was shit )
CSS is dogshit though thats why, the recoil was fucked the day they brought the game out and the hitboxes are all over the place its why it got binned off after the first tourny it was used at and they went back to 1.6
Old 21-08-2010, 05:17 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

So dogshit it's always in the top10 most played games on xfire...

I don't really care tbh, don't game that much anymore, just the odd session on a racing game, like LFS.
Old 21-08-2010, 05:22 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

So dogshit it's always in the top10 most played games on xfire...

I don't really care tbh, don't game that much anymore, just the odd session on a racing game, like LFS.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

a new game vs a 8/9 year old game and theres hardly anything in it, like i said they dropped 1.6 at the tournys when it first came out and the pro's ( who are paid to play ) whined like everyone else on how shit it was and it got dropped straight away and there back to playing 1.6 now
Old 21-08-2010, 05:24 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

MW2 shouldn't be at the top, it's utter shit! Fucking little american kids playing it putting it to the top. Bad times.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:34 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GINGExR2 T

It doesn't matter what service provider you the line is still a BT line, it's just the equipment at the exchange that is different.
Ginger
im sure you have that the wrongway round??

ntl/virgin use thier own line from the house in to the street but use bt equipment, as most do in the exchange!
Ntl use optical, the rest use copper (bt optical is out soon, as you said).

and you fit this stuff for a living lol OMG!

PS:Ive been with ntl/virgin for the past 11 years now and have to say theres no one better out there now, at one point NTL(virgin) had shite customer service, now a days they are a lot lot better and get things sorted ASAP.

Last edited by st3v3; 21-08-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:06 PM
knightsy

Originally Posted by st3v3
im sure you have that the wrongway round??

ntl/virgin use thier own line from the house in to the street but use bt equipment, as most do in the exchange!
Ntl use optical, the rest use copper (bt optical is out soon, as you said).

and you fit this stuff for a living lol OMG!

PS:Ive been with ntl/virgin for the past 11 years now and have to say theres no one better out there now, at one point NTL(virgin) had shite customer service, now a days they are a lot lot better and get things sorted ASAP.
What he meant was you can not get virgin/ ntl or whatever they are calling themselves now in alot of places and where they have not got there own network it is provided over the bt copper network, also virgin is not fibre to the premisis it's fibre to the cab then coax from there to the house.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:48 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hmm thats not what he said, although i know what you said to be true,but the fact that he still does it for a living and couldnt explain it correctly?????
Old 21-08-2010, 09:53 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Hmm thats not what he said, although i know what you said to be true,but the fact that he still does it for a living and couldnt explain it correctly?????
Typical BT engineer? Fucking useless?
Old 21-08-2010, 10:06 PM
knightsy

Typical BT engineer? Fucking useless?
You have obviously had a bad experience with bt then either that or you really think bt engineers are all useless so then meaning me also and that would just piss me off because believe it or not some of us know what were doing.
Old 21-08-2010, 10:22 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Originally Posted by knightsy
You have obviously had a bad experience with bt then
You could say that!

There was a lot of sarcasm in my post matey...
Old 21-08-2010, 10:25 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by knightsy
You have obviously had a bad experience with bt then either that or you really think bt engineers are all useless so then meaning me also and that would just piss me off because believe it or not some of us know what were doing.
lol, fooking chill out dude.

Its a known fact that 99.9% of BT know fook all about what they are doing 99.9% of the time

My next door neighbour used to work for BT along time a go in many different guieses and says exactly the same as what ive just said and hes been in Telecoms for ...27 years from when he used to commision exchanges (BT) to now where he works ATT

Chill dude lol
Old 22-08-2010, 08:04 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

lol, fooking chill out dude.

Its a known fact that 99.9% of BT know fook all about what they are doing 99.9% of the time

My next door neighbour used to work for BT along time a go in many different guieses and says exactly the same as what ive just said and hes been in Telecoms for ...27 years from when he used to commision exchanges (BT) to now where he works ATT

Chill dude lol

Its really not...
Old 22-08-2010, 10:35 AM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have virgin's 50 meg service and it's faultless. Can't wait for 100 meg plus to be available )
Old 22-08-2010, 11:13 AM
whosyadaddy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

got Virgin 50mb here and id say if its available then go for it you wont regret it. The difference between the way Bt and Virgin are run etc is like night and day, plus if you want virgin can provide a phone line aswell
Old 22-08-2010, 07:30 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I just done a speed test, I'm on plusnet, but seriously considering changing to a better all in one package, I don't do games at all, so just compy phone etc.
Speed test was download 5664 kbps and upload 355 kbps, is this any good or is it time for a change ?
thanks
tabetha
Old 22-08-2010, 07:35 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I just done a speed test, I'm on plusnet, but seriously considering changing to a better all in one package, I don't do games at all, so just compy phone etc.
Speed test was download 5664 kbps and upload 355 kbps, is this any good or is it time for a change ?
thanks
tabetha

depends what package your on speed wise
Old 23-08-2010, 07:57 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I think I should be getting 8 meg, sick of the disconnections now, though I think that's more down to the wireless router possibly a thomson one lights are all over the place!!
tabetha
Old 23-08-2010, 06:33 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i use madasafish for phone and broadband and their connection is always good and customer service when moving home etc has been brilliant

Quick Reply: What isp to go with?