General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2010, 12:26 PM
DanRSturbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is FredElliot Dave ? Lol. You can't change peoples attitudes to driving because someone in a Saph had a horrific accident.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:27 PM
FredElliot
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else noticed that the unsociable side of car enthusiasm/meets has started to raise its head more in the last few years?

Perhaps its just me getting older, but there seems to have been a bit of a resurgence in the actions that many outside of the car nut world would term "boy racer" whereas after the late 90's it seemed to revolve more around clubs for specific marques or models without that sort of behaviour..
Old 19-08-2010, 12:30 PM
RstAaron.
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

possibly just a change in media focus?
Old 19-08-2010, 12:34 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chip+Fred=dog with bone
Old 19-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FredElliot
Has anyone else noticed that the unsociable side of car enthusiasm/meets has started to raise its head more in the last few years?
Not really TBH, take a look at this video (starring many people who use this forum ) back from 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gXRmv-hJ4

Perhaps its just me getting older, but there seems to have been a bit of a resurgence in the actions that many outside of the car nut world would term "boy racer" whereas after the late 90's it seemed to revolve more around clubs for specific marques or models without that sort of behaviour..
The 90s was largely about the "MAX POWER" magazine culture which TBH was as bad or worse to anything we see today IMHO
Old 19-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

after reading this, i'm going to sell all my cars
Old 19-08-2010, 12:41 PM
FredElliot

I agree - the max power culture in the late 90's was rife, but it seemed to die off for a few years, and has since returned, perhaps its just a regional thing? (im from the midlands).
Old 19-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Chip

Dont even think your region has seen a dip TBH Fred, maybe just whatever town your particular nursing home is in perhaps, but for example I dont think the street racing culture around birmingham has tailed off at any point, its been strong since I was going there nearly 20 years ago and still is now.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Kieron

I agree - the max power culture in the late 90's was rife, but it seemed to die off for a few years, and has since returned, perhaps its just a regional thing? (im from the midlands).
Maybe its an age thing? You grow out of a certain scene and don't really notice it until incidents occur and are brought to your attention in the scene you frequent?

IMHO its been going on all along. Fashions and cars change and persoanlly I don't appreaciate the newer wave of boy racers so have no involvement or take no interest. The era that you were part of grows up and a fresh lot of young know-it-alls come to fill your shoes in society.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:49 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
after reading this, i'm going to sell all my cars

I too will sell all my cars and advise all my immediate family and friends to do the same, before sitting them down and thoroughly addressing (and re-addressing) the point of road safety to anyone who looks like they may listen. Inlcuding animals and children.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:52 PM
FredElliot

at 33 Im hardly ready for the pipe an slippers yet, and as quite a keen petrolhead I like to consider myself still part of the car enthusiast "scene". Perhaps you are right on the disassociation with the local younger generation though.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:55 PM
zerocool
Virgin

Originally Posted by Chip
I guess as you know nothing about my background whatsoever, you will miss the irony of you spouting some googled up half facts
I used google to find out about you, Chips interests at 28 years old! Same old dislikes though
Old 19-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Kieron

at 33 Im hardly ready for the pipe an slippers yet, and as quite a keen petrolhead I like to consider myself still part of the car enthusiast "scene".
Would you consider being a keen petrolhead the same as a boy racer? Personally I see them as two different scenes, or outlets of the mutual interest of cars. By saying "scene" I am trying to differentiate between the various areas of our hobby. Do you still go to industrial parks to show off your car? Does your car have an aftermarket fibreglass bodykit with tonnes of filler? Do you have neons? A shopping list down the side? Flip paint? Quad 5" tailpipes? and electronic dumpvalve? Neon dustcaps or washer jets? Do you even like any of those things? If the answer is no then I suspect like me you ignore the goings on of the youngsters that do appreciate all those halfrauds bolt on bits.

At 33 your of similar age to me and I expect have grown up enough now to gain enjoyment from cars in a different way to teens. Your posts certainly suggest someone with a grown up attitude.

Perhaps you are right on the disassociation with the local younger generation though.
Thats all I am very longwindedly trying to say!
Old 19-08-2010, 01:04 PM
ZetecSX
ITB's... Loud and Proud

Ive not been to one enhusiasts site meet where there has been antisocial behaviour.. everyone respects there cars too much....
Old 19-08-2010, 01:09 PM
FredElliot

I dont consider being a petrolhead as being the same as a boy racer. However it is very easy for us to make the distinction. Sadly for many of the "public" the distinction is not so easily made.

A loud exhaust and "sporty" looking car is all the justification some people need to cast aspersions.

I wouldnt say Im a fan of all the items listed above, but I have been known to attend "cruise" meets whenever I can spot one being arranged in my local area, I do find quite a few interesting, just as I attend many of the shows around the country.

The speeding and clowing around drop off and resurgence must just be my own interpretation. Perhaps I was busier than I thought for the last half decade
Old 19-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Darylc.
49cc superbike!

Ignore him, he wants attention.
Old 19-08-2010, 01:46 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Originally Posted by Kieron
Maybe its an age thing? You grow out of a certain scene and don't really notice it until incidents occur and are brought to your attention in the scene you frequent?

IMHO its been going on all along. Fashions and cars change and persoanlly I don't appreaciate the newer wave of boy racers so have no involvement or take no interest. The era that you were part of grows up and a fresh lot of young know-it-alls come to fill your shoes in society.
Agree with both your posts Kieron, I think it's because I'm older I'm out of the 'scene', but it did seem to drop off a bit, there were proper cruises back in my day I know there was a clamp down, but there doesn't seem to be as many these days, but more and more 'cruise this' and 'modded that' turning up again.

Boy racer and enthusiasts have always been two separates IMO
Old 19-08-2010, 01:50 PM
focusrrx87

FredElliot... You clearly have some drive and determination on this subject of stopping "street racing" and not letting people's death's go in vain. So how's about you get us some government backed and funded track days. That way maybe just maybe you could sleep a little easier at night?
Old 19-08-2010, 01:55 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't forget also the:

Dangers of drink driving
Dangers of tired driving
Dangers of speeding
Dangers of distracted driving (which can encompass mobile phone calls, satnav use, texting, changing CD's, reading a map, fiddling with laptop, putting on lipstick etc etc etc)

the list can go on, a lot of things cause accidents
Old 19-08-2010, 02:00 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Was reading this thread as I drove home, it is a danger to law abiding motorists it is so boring, i'm fucked anyway and this almost sent me to sleep. I almost spat my Stella out at some of chips replys though, and had to slow down and stop tailgating to type this on my iphone.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:04 PM
ZetecSX
ITB's... Loud and Proud

lol ,..^^^^
Old 19-08-2010, 02:24 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Was reading this thread as I drove home, it is a danger to law abiding motorists it is so boring, i'm fucked anyway and this almost sent me to sleep. I almost spat my Stella out at some of chips replys though, and had to slow down and stop tailgating to type this on my iphone.
Note you didn't mention you'd stopped wanking though
Old 19-08-2010, 02:27 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
Note you didn't mention you'd stopped wanking though
No need Zoe, there are two types of people in life. Wankers and liars, which one are you?
Old 19-08-2010, 02:32 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't wish to divulge that kind of personal information on this forum

(p.s. the above was a joke as you'd mentioned doing everything else but that, not as an insult, I have no reason to think your a wanker , *edit* reading it back I could see thats how it was meant, it wasn't!)

Last edited by cabrio zo; 19-08-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:33 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I don't wish to divulge that kind of personal information on this forum

(p.s. the above was a joke as you'd mentioned doing everything else but that, not as an insult, I have no reason to think your a wanker )
I know , so you are a Wanker then
Old 19-08-2010, 02:38 PM
FredElliot

there are two types of people in life. Wankers and liars, which one are you?
Im a liar. No wait.. err a Wanker. No..

Damn you.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:39 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My Mum said it was bad to tell lies

Last edited by cabrio zo; 19-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Not really TBH, take a look at this video (starring many people who use this forum ) back from 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9gXRmv-hJ4

The 90s was largely about the "MAX POWER" magazine culture which TBH was as bad or worse to anything we see today IMHO
I live round the corner from the 'mad mile' and its nothing like that any more, every thursday (people used to meet on a thurs) undercover police are every where, if you fart, and it smells too funky you get a ticket.

In fact it has been on the decline for years, and good. I love a good drive, i speed BUT there is a big difference between speeding and putting other peoples lives in danger, any one with 1/4 of a brain knows that. So this thread is a little pointless Fred.

Its Darwin mate, anyone with a little brain and a fast car will kill themselves, the real tragedy is they kill others too. I feel for the blokes family and friends don't get me wrong and im not saying he was one of the above etc (tbh i don't know the story behind his death or him). Where as a normal bloke/woman who doesn't have a gnats cock for a brain will speed and have fun where appropriate.

I've had races with other cars, every one has... I just don't organise them, and go out specifically to do them.

If you want to make a point Fred, instead of condemning anyone who has fun in a car, why don't you complain about the shoddy driving test standards? If it was mandatory to learn car control on a skid pad for instance i think you would half the number of accidents due to out of control vehicles.

I agree with Chip on this one, and think you should have got your coat when you said.

Rob,

Last edited by Rob_DOHC; 19-08-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lol
Old 19-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by timrud
I think Chip is a bit peeved somebody has come onto his turf and acted more like Chip than Chip does himself
Now that's funny!

I really wish i was at work just now as i feel so hard done by wasting my time on these threads while on time off
Old 19-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Lambchop
I really wish i was at work just now as i feel so hard done by wasting my time on these threads while on time off
Fuck that!
Threads like this are STRICTLY for work time! IMHO
Old 19-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fuck that!
Threads like this are STRICTLY for work time! IMHO

Agreed,

Replying to shite threads = At work = bored any way

Rob,
Old 19-08-2010, 02:57 PM
RstAaron.

Yep, I agree. Been dead at work so this has been the most amusing thing for me today. Yes it is that bad!
Old 19-08-2010, 03:02 PM
FredElliot

Is it not a little hard to flip burgers and reply to internet forums at the same time?

Took me years to perfect.
Old 19-08-2010, 03:06 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Is it not a little hard to flip burgers and reply to internet forums at the same time?

Took me years to perfect.
Thats why I work at KFC, much easier to surf and serve
Old 19-08-2010, 03:06 PM
RstAaron.

Ah so you're a wanker then, one hand to flip burgers and the other to flip yourself leaving none to reply to threads.
Old 19-08-2010, 04:00 PM
gaz s1

For the last time its always been there and been mad in my experiences anyway!!, i was at the brum s,s driving like a cunt 17 years ago and things were bad back then, i seen cars go into the back of riot fans, cars lose it and smash into the crowds, my mate rolled his mg metro there and crushed his arm so bad it had to be amputated and it still never stopped me, as chip has said he was in the same scene and it is a buzz, its only when youre older you realise how mad and lucky you have been.

I had a few massive accidents in my time and still thought i was indestructable but i stopped in the end due to my own actions and was banned for dangerous driving along with 500 of my other "street racers".

We all know somewhere where racing goes on, hams hall for instance but stay away as we are wiser now but thinking we can stop them wont work, i know i would not have listened back in the day.

Anyone here remember rs killer and storm, the two black heavily modded s2,s with the graphics down the side, legends backin the day

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-08-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Ima Racing

Fred is so obviously chips biological brother or sister, not sure, but i would wager if they fucked, one of them would get pregnant.

What is you guys take on the rainbird incident, stupid speeds three up...are we clapping him cause only one got injured or giving him greif like this poor Joe fella?
Old 19-08-2010, 04:17 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Ima Racing
Fred is so obviously chips biological brother or sister, not sure, but i would wager if they fucked, one of them would get pregnant.
What has being brother and sister to do with getting pregnant?

Or is that how things work round your area? Are you from Alabama?
Old 19-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Rob_DOHC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Alabama (or kent), where the only virgins are the girls who can out run their brothers.

Quick Reply: The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads