General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2010, 08:41 AM
FredElliot
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads

Nobody is stating as fact what happened during the night Joe Slater died, other than street racing was taking place and a lad lost his life due to it, leaving two other peoples lives changed forever.

Rather than start a whole new thread, I thought the old thread (seperate to the RIP thread) would be resurected andput in another area if necessary.

However, if the only option is the starting of another thread is the only option, so be it.

Removing all discussion relating to the circumstances in which this accident happens is daft in my opinion. It is sweeping under the carpet a serious issue which needs stamping out for the good of all car enthusiasts.

If the problem is allowed to persist, and is not tackled by popular clubs (such as this one and others), a time will come where sweeping legislation will be made that will affect us all rather than target a minority.

Besides, and here is a point which I hope those relatives and friends of Mr Slater will take the right way, Joe Slaters death should not be in vain.

It is a tragic and unfortunate loss, yet it is also an opportunity to do some real good and ensure he does not become just another statistic, and just a few threads on the internet that can be found on the 7th page of google in a years time.

It is entirely possible that the tragic events of that night can be used as a way to dissuade others from taking part in these sorts of activities, possibly saving lives along the way.

The other option is for this club to continue to censor discussion on the events surrounding Joes death and sweep Street racing under the carpet. Continue to allow discussion and almost promotion of Street racing (see other threads), and let Joes death count for absolutely nothing.

I am the one being told to "F off" in other threads when Im trying to promote discussion that may make some good come from Joes death, and those telling me to "F off" are just preventing that discussion, helping Joes death to have counted for bugger all.

Want to make some good come from this, or just forget about how Joe died and allow others to follow him to the grave needlessly? Your choice.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:50 AM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why carry on with these threads, everyone has said there bit and they always get out of control and go on and on, rip and condolences to the families but i think enoughs enough now.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:55 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all educated and responsible adults know the dangers of racing on public roads and what can / will happen.

I dont think this thread is really needed.

Threads like this wont change the mindset of these braindead antisocial cunts that participate in, promote and organise these meets. As per the old deleted thread, just look at the way they put themselves across textually..... absolute twats.

I speed, yes, we all do. But I know my limits and I certainly dont endanger others.

Street racing is just a meeting of cunts / wankers / pikey scrotes
Old 19-08-2010, 08:55 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

There is a reason the original thread was locked and removed and it was to stop discussions such as the one above because every one has a diffrent opinion and things get out of hand.

Please can we not respond to this as I am sure that admin will remove it shortly.

RIP to Joe and our thoughts are with ALL involved directly or indirectly.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:59 AM
STeve

Received 867 Likes on 695 Posts

Road accidents happen every day in all sorts of situations,be it Mechanical failure of parts, drink, drugs, fatigue, poor driving ability, speeding or just a plain old accident for no real reason for justification,the way in which you conducted yourself in other threads has not been the best and does come accross more of a keyboard warrior and insensative rather than somebody actually being positive and promoting road safety and common sense.

we are all gifted with hindsight and common sense its up to the person concerned to use it and until all verified facts are known,the topic of joe in particular should not really be up for debate .

Im all up for a topic of road safety and awareness however as long as not aimed at any one person.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

FredElliot, I dont beleive that a thread with a few people continually repeating their opinion is going to have quite the impact you are making out it might, I do beleive it a useful discussion but for a new joiner to this forum, you seem a bit obsessed about this one thread.

I think that moving it to the spit your dummy room would have been appropriate and it was poor moderation removing it instead, but thats as a long term user of the site who is familiar with how moderation is meant to happen, I dont really see how it effects you though TBH

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
I think all educated and responsible adults know the dangers of racing on public roads and what can / will happen.

I dont think this thread is really needed.

Threads like this wont change the mindset of these braindead antisocial cunts that participate in, promote and organise these meets. As per the old deleted thread, just look at the way they put themselves across textually..... absolute twats.

I speed, yes, we all do. But I know my limits and I certainly dont endanger others.

Street racing is just a meeting of cunts / wankers / pikey scrotes
Great reply

BANG on

Trending Topics

Old 19-08-2010, 09:05 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
FredElliot, I dont beleive that a thread with a few people continually repeating their opinion is going to have quite the impact you are making out it might, I do beleive it a useful discussion but for a new joiner to this forum, you seem a bit obsessed about this one thread.

I think that moving it to the spit your dummy room would have been appropriate and it was poor moderation removing it instead, but thats as a long term user of the site who is familiar with how moderation is meant to happen, I dont really see how it effects you though TBH
Totally agree.

With every point made.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:06 AM
FredElliot

Fine let his death count for nothing. Continue to vilify those who may even suggest he was to blame.

Its always someone elses fault when something like this happens. It will always happen to someone else too. Until it doesn't.

If the admin here are happy to have threads here effectively promoting street racing (see the I raced a 911 thread) and sweep the racing and dangerous driving element under the carpet when someone kills themselves, then I think it sends a fairly clear message where they stand on such matters.

Its all just good fun until someone dies. Then we just wont talk about it until this accident is forgotten about. What a pathetic attitude.

Im fairly sure Joes family and friends wont be forgetting about this accident for the rest of their lives, and neither will the families and friends of his passengers. So if you dont want to talk about it and hopefully put some others off attending and taking part in these events fine.

The family and friends of Joe should be disgusted that those moderating this site seem to be insistent on having his death count for absolutely nothing.

Fine, lets move along and leave it. Had any good races lately?

twunts.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Chip

FredElliot, just join a forum you do like, dont turn up to one you dont like and try and change it instantly.

While I agree in principle that a healthy discussion would be a positive thing, you are in serious danger of boring everybody so much that the only thing to do to wake ourselves up again is go down lakeside for some impromptu racing

BORE OFF!

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:10 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

With no disrespect to the people who have lost their lives, speeding, and car crashes and deaths will always occur for as long as there is cars on the road.

Cars are getting faster and faster and also they are becoming more refined and can handle higher speeds better as time goes on hence giving people more confidence to go faster as they dont necessarily feel the speed the cars doing. You can be sat in a bmw 7 series doing 100 in complete comfort with no strain or anything.

Only way we're going to stop all this was if cars were all limited to 20mph, and thats never going to happen. End of.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:10 AM
FredElliot

Ahh right, so as a newbie I should contain myself to single smilie replies and "yeah I agree innit", until I have a few thousand posts under my belt.

Only then am I allowed an opinion on a current hot topic.

Sorry for actually giving a shit and hoping this poor lads death will at least count for something.

I picked up this topic from another linked board and thought I could take part in an adult discussion about it, hopefully contributing toward something positive. Ill get my coat.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:12 AM
STeve

its so obvoius that you joined up on this site purely to do what your doing and thats stir up a hornets nest of emotions ,do you really want all this negative attention on yourself and if you do surely a chat room would be the better option,there is a time and correct place for everything and this is not it, and certainly not in the way you have gone about it my good man.

Last edited by STeve; 19-08-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by FredElliot
Ahh right, so as a newbie I should contain myself to single smilie replies and "yeah I agree innit", until I have a few thousand posts under my belt.

Its not a current hot topic, its a deleted one

Sorry for actually giving a shit and hoping this poor lads death will at least count for something.

I picked up this topic from another linked board and thought I could take part in an adult discussion about it, hopefully contributing toward something positive.
There was nothing new contributed to that thread for the last few pages, it was just a load of mongs turning up to repeat stuff already said TBH, it was appropriate to stop it going on and on and on, but it should have been done by moving it to the appropriate section away from GD, but thats a section you dont have access to anyway as a non paying member so it wouldnt effect you if it was correctly moderated or not.

Ill get my coat.
Bye
Old 19-08-2010, 09:16 AM
FredElliot

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
Cars are getting faster and faster and also they are becoming more refined and can handle higher speeds better as time goes on hence giving people more confidence to go faster as they dont necessarily feel the speed the cars doing. You can be sat in a bmw 7 series doing 100 in complete comfort with no strain or anything.

Only way we're going to stop all this was if cars were all limited to 20mph, and thats never going to happen. End of.
No, the only way it will stop is when people who drive a car built in 1989 or thereabouts, no longer drive it like a car built in 2009.

You can upgrade various parts to enhance performance to modern levels, brakes, engine suspension, tyres, wheels, seats etc. You cant bring the safety standards of a 1989 car up to those of a 2009 car though. Curtain airbags etc.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by 1-PD
its so obvoius that you joined up on this site purely to do what your doing and thats stir up a hornets nest of emotions ,do you really want all this negative attention on yourself and if you do surely a chat room would be the better option,there is a time and correct place for everything and this is not it, and certainly not in the way you have gone about it my good man.
Agreed, there was no introduction or talk about his own experiences of street racing or why it matters to him like it does to many of us, just some anonymous numpty posting the same stuff that many of us had already said, he brought NOTHING new to the discussion anyway so why sign up to a forum just to repeat stuff already said, people arent going to take an enormous amount of notice of someone who doesnt even bother to introduce themselves IME
Old 19-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Chip

No, the only way it will stop is when people who drive a car built in 1989 or thereabouts, no longer drive it like a car built in 2009.

You can upgrade various parts to enhance performance to modern levels, brakes, engine suspension, tyres, wheels, seats etc. You cant bring the safety standards of a 1989 car up to those of a 2009 car though. Curtain airbags etc.
You struggling to find that coat you were off to fetch?
Old 19-08-2010, 09:18 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I picked up this topic from another linked board and thought I could take part in an adult discussion about it, hopefully contributing toward something positive. Ill get my coat.
Look we all know what your saying/promoting and theres probably only a small handful out there who disagree with your points, but at the same time this is 1 forum out of as million. I for one frequent about 10 various ford forums, so if your trying to put a stop to this, then you've got a hell of alot of work to do etc. What im trying to say is theres no point getting all het up on this one forum, because its not going to change much.

You could walk out your front door and get hit by a bicycle and knocked to the ground and hit your head in the wrong place and be killed. Doesnt mean we are all now going to talk about the dangers of bikes riding along side as pavement are we. Im probably talking jargon, but i know what im trying to say lol.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:20 AM
STeve

You struggling to find that coat you were off to fetch?

we can always start a whipp round to get one if it cant be found
Old 19-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry as soon as I saw the name FredElliot i fancied a sausage not consider the dangers of road racing
Old 19-08-2010, 09:26 AM
FredElliot

Originally Posted by 1-PD
I joined this site as it had what appeared to be the most active discussion regarding that incident, and as a motoring enthusiast hoped there would be some breakaway discussion on the whys and wherefores of street racing, with its pottential to bring about legislation that could affect us all regardless of whether we are distanced from illegal street racing.

Ill admit, I dont own a ford, and its been a while since I have done, but I was hoping that any debate on illegal racing and its possible affects on us all would not be restricted to Ford owners only.

I feel it is clear that noboday actually wants to have a discussion on this subject, even if we disregard the events and specific incident that brought it about?
Old 19-08-2010, 09:27 AM
nrwilliams

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Road Racing, dont do it!

Book a track day!
Old 19-08-2010, 09:28 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Fred Elliot,

I think everything that was needed to be said and a whole lot more, was detailed in the recently binned crash thread. Not sure what you are hoping to achieve by creating this thread other than fueling an already distressing time for various people on this board. Not sure you need to get your coat, but maybe this thread needs to find its way in the bin.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:28 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i never read all the deleted thread but youre never going to physically stop someone going fast from this.folk make a conscious decision on the circumstances at the time whether or not to speed,be it to catch a faster car,show off or just in a hurry.9 times out of 10 they will be ok and maybe that 1 time something happens.folk die or get hurt all the time and i dont mean in driving i mean in everyday situations from making a wrong decision or being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unfortunately you can tell someone till they are blue in the face but its up to them and the decision they make that decides the outcome.this thread is going to all be about slagging you,thats just p/f for you!
Old 19-08-2010, 09:29 AM
zerocool
Virgin

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
for one frequent about 10 various ford forums, so if your trying to put a stop to this, then you've got a hell of alot of work to do etc. What im trying to say is theres no point getting all het up on this one forum, because its not going to change much.
Thing is, the deleted thread was circulated from cruise sites to skyline owners clubs. If it saved one person, then Joe didn't die in vain.

Now, all those people get is a thread on found message and Joe apart from to his family and friends just becomes a statistic of street racing gone wrong
Old 19-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Chip

FredElliot, you will find that for most people on this forum the following is true:

They like to have a bit of a play in a relatively safe enviornment against other cars they meet on the road, so would think nothing of giving their car a good squirt down an out of town dual carriageway to compare its performance to another vehicle they happened across

They think that chavvy little kids spanking their saxo around a car park trying to impress their mates deserve some form of accident to learn from just hopefully not one involving them dieing or more importantly anyone else doing so

They feel that trackdays are a very good place to have fun with a lower amount of danger.

You would be FAR better off joining up to a load of cruise forums to preach if you want to make it your life's work to educate people about street racing as there is a MUCH higher proportion of chavvy little cunts who need the advice on there than there is on here.

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:32 AM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zerocool
Thing is, the deleted thread was circulated from cruise sites to skyline owners clubs. If it saved one person, then Joe didn't die in vain.
Fair enough, i didnt necessarily think about people posting links to it on other sites. Point taken.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Chip

Ps

Have you considered a career as a PCSO, they seem to LOVE people like you for that role
Old 19-08-2010, 09:33 AM
STeve

I joined this site as it had what appeared to be the most active discussion regarding that incident, and as a motoring enthusiast hoped there would be some breakaway discussion on the whys and wherefores of street racing, with its pottential to bring about legislation that could affect us all regardless of whether we are distanced from illegal street racing.

Ill admit, I dont own a ford, and its been a while since I have done, but I was hoping that any debate on illegal racing and its possible affects on us all would not be restricted to Ford owners only.

I feel it is clear that noboday actually wants to have a discussion on this subject, even if we disregard the events and specific incident that brought it about?

as you can imagine this site is ram packed with car enthuiasts who mainly own a Ford branded car,of course not everyone is lead footed or drives their cars around like its stolen, as most on here have spent tens of thousands on their pride and joys, as can be seen at all the official shows and organised meets we offer, I dont think anyone with a bit of sense will condone street racing, but people need to make their own decisions and mistakes and not be led, you did offer some valid points as well as some that are not relevant and came accross in totally the wrong way.

Last edited by STeve; 19-08-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:35 AM
FredElliot

Agreed.

Dont think I am some sort of vigilante speed kills tree hugger. Far from it.

As I say I enjoy my cars and have broken the speed limits on many occasions, though like others, I know my limits. Indeed I know I am likely to run out of talent long before the car runs out of performance.

I also appreciate there are hundreds, nay thousands, of car forums on the internet who dont seem particularly bothered about distancing themselves from street racing, I also dont believe for a minute that one lone voice will change perception overnight. But if a sensible discussion on one internet site dissuades one individual from taking part in one race and pottentially killing themselves or someone else, is it not worth it?

As for introductions, how well would it have gone down to say: "Hi, Im Fred, I joined when I saw the thread about.... I dont own a Ford".

Probably not very, but if thats whats needed, Hi, Im Fred.

We all know that Governments and police find it very hard to target the minority causing the trouble, and often take action which affects us all. If this happens regarding club meets and organised drives out, then we could all suffer because of the minority.

Are track days too expensive or are there not enough tracks? What is needed to encourage people to keep it off the road and on the track?
Old 19-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Chip

Are track days too expensive
Nope, I do a couple a month.

or are there not enough tracks?
No, there are loads of tracks

What is needed to encourage people to keep it off the road and on the track?
To make it seem interesting with promo girls and chavvy music etc, like the Trax and Donny events do, as this appeals to the sort of young people who go showing off down tescos car park in the first place.
What it does NOT need, is for the people who are FOR trackdays to come accross as the sort of boring cunts that most of these young kids would sooner step in front of a train than spend time near, so your sort of preaching and boring and patronising input is almost certainly counter productive, so while I agree that everyone can bring something useful to any discussion, I think that in this particular instance what you should bring is silence.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

chip some of your replies are fookin priceless
Old 19-08-2010, 09:41 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Ps

Have you considered a career as a PCSO, they seem to LOVE people like you for that role

Old 19-08-2010, 09:43 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Chip,

You are wasting your time and valuable minutes of your life by continuing to fuel this troll. To save your own sanity i suggest you stop I think this Fred guy could even teach Phil a thing or two about peculiar behaviour
Old 19-08-2010, 09:46 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

twunts

Its ok, you are allowed to say CUNT on this site !

Oh, and you do sound like a cunt to me
Old 19-08-2010, 09:47 AM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

point is if your racing do so on ur own ,as clearly it was a race .road not used at nite
an that ,very sad loss but never race with car full asking for trouble
Old 19-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Chip

FredElliot probably has kids all around the country glued to their computers to catch his next thrilling installment on how exciting road safety can be

Old 19-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Thing is street racing has gone on for years way before the internet not only in this country but countless others too,thing is not matter what you do you wont be able to stop it.

There will always be the minority that will race be it right or wrong goverment have tried for years to stop it same as the there will always be a miniorty that drink and drive or as people have said show off in Macdonalds nothing will get through to them.

Especially preaching in to them which is how you come across Fred but on this site you will find most people on here are mature and sensible.

On here you will see more threads about track days trips to the ring than the odd one or two I raced a such and such.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:57 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Although I have no desire at all to sound disrespectful, and it is sad that the guy lost his life and people were hurt, but surely by being there, and being involved, he was well aware of the risks he was taking?

You will never ever stop people dicking about in cars, once the ego and red mist engage, all reason goes out of the window. That's life I'm afraid.

This just seems a pointless debate to be honest. I'd hardly say this forum encourages it more than any other I've been on.

As someone above said, if you want to preach to someone, preach on cruise forums, as that's where a lot of the street racing faternity will hang about. My experience of members of enthusiast sites like this and other Ford clubs is that, although members drive fast at times, it's on quiet, open roads, not round town centres or at organised street race meetings. The odd foot down moment against a 911 is very different to all-out street racing.

But, this is all pointless. People will continue to kill themselves and each other in cars. With the amount of miles this country travels by road each year, accidents are inevitable.

Last edited by massivewangers; 19-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 09:57 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Street racing is dangerous, we all know it and quite a few people on here have done it at a guess(including me), can we stop it i doubt it as its a younger lads thing and you just dont see sense when youre younger(i know i didnt).

As i stated in the other thread its just natural progression you start off street racing, wise up and mature and turn into a car enthusiast who still occasionaly rips it up when you meet something you feel like playing with and minimize the risks due to having a older head on your shoulders and basically realize what can happen and know not to push your luck too far.

As an example i was coming home from my local rsoc and a type r wanted to play, this was on a wide duel carriageway which i know very well so i duelly obliged, we then hit a built up area in a 40 zone so i slowed to the limit, the type r overtook me and carried on at i guess double the speed limit, now i knew that was stupid and had slowed down but he didnt seem to realize his stupidity and carried on toeing it and thats the difference on having an older(been there done it) attitude.

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-08-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads