General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2010, 10:08 AM
FredElliot
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Ps

Have you considered a career as a PCSO, they seem to LOVE people like you for that role
Are you one of the many who has been picked on for "no reason" by the fuzz?

Or just someone who thrives off the holier than thou attitude in life. A reall success you must be.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FredElliot
Are you one of the many who has been picked on for "no reason" by the fuzz?
Yes of course, like most people into modified cars I have been picked on by the police to a certain extent, in fact I was once plucked from a petrol station and sent to the local police station to have 2 hours of my day wasted while I waited to have my car VOSA inspected as part of "operation torque" a local initiative to get dangerous modified cars off the street.
The result of the investigation being that my car was absolutely fine, perfectly safe, and a comment from the inspector about how well maintained it was and that it put most of the police cars he'd seen to shame

Or just someone who thrives off the holier than thou attitude in life. A reall success you must be.
Fuck me, are you REALLY accusing someone else of having a holier than thou attitude after all your posts?
How ironic

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Chip

If there is any karma in the world, a jehovas witness will visit your house tonight fred
Old 19-08-2010, 10:21 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I wasn't gonna post cos i couldn't be bothered to but now ya winding me up

Why not go off to a forum where you will find the weekly/nightly street racers? instead of a site like passionford where as already said most members have a passion for their cars and would rather take their car to shows and track days and not to the street to race!

I understand what your trying to do, but your telling people what they already know, If people choose not to take notice of the fact of one young lad's life has been cut far too short, and two others now have life changing injuries, then you wont change them from saying and wasting your time typing on a forum! I think just finding out the plain simple facts of the consequences is enough to change those who will change!
Old 19-08-2010, 10:25 AM
FredElliot

If there is any karma in the world, a jehovas witness will visit your house tonight fred
Only if I let him/her/them through the gates.

Apologies if Ive touched a nerve with my disregard for street racing, feel free to do what you want, just thought it worth a discussion thats all.

Ill just satisfy myself with reading the "I beat a [insert random car here] last night" threads. Until the inevitable happens again.

Would you care to point out where Ive had a holier than thou attitude in my posts, or is this just something youve dreamed up to try and look like the funny guy in front of your followers on here?
Old 19-08-2010, 10:29 AM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

Apologies if Ive touched a nerve with my disregard for street racing, feel free to do what you want, just thought it worth a discussion thats all.

Ill just satisfy myself with reading the "I beat a [insert random car here] last night" threads. Until the inevitable happens again.

Would you care to point out where Ive had a holier than thou attitude in my posts, or is this just something youve dreamed up to try and look like the funny guy in front of your followers on here?

ffs street racers normally go to a place well known to delibrately race where the random threads on here where someone has had a pop at a car on the road is where they are driving along normally then have a little play with someone, not ragging around racing all night maybe just a couple of minutes play, cant you see the difference!!!
Take the cossie vs porker turbo i bet that lasted no more than 5 seconds

Last edited by gaz s1; 19-08-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Fred if you bothered to read Pf you would see that there is only one or tow I beat threads to I have done a trackday I went to a Fordfair.Search the site and findand show me the mass amounts of I beat such and such threads compared to trackdays?

You seem to pick and diregard certain posts to suit your view or agruement,yes there will be deaths again but I bet it will probaly be someone young and probaly not from this site.

Trackdays are dangerous too people have died at the ring,but that has not been outlawed life is dangerous 99% of people will try and take the safest and sensible approach to life the other 1% wont I am afraid
Old 19-08-2010, 10:35 AM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fancy a race for Log books Fred?
Old 19-08-2010, 10:47 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rsnissan

Old 19-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't want to dirty any other threads up and seeing that this one is already polluted, let me take the opportunity to give y'all a few highlights as to the general opinions of Passionford'ers from other forums.

Those guys on that Ford forum seem a little backward...
....more STD's than GCSE's.
sounds about right just glad the chav didn't kill any real people
Old 19-08-2010, 10:54 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right rather to go into detail, from what Ive read some guy on here lost his life racing his car? yes?

Sorry never seen the thread people.
Old 19-08-2010, 10:56 AM
gaz s1

Originally Posted by rabmc
Right rather to go into detail, from what Ive read some guy on here lost his life racing his car? yes?

Sorry never seen the thread people.
probably BUT NOBODY BUT THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY THERE KNOW FOR SURE!
Old 19-08-2010, 10:56 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Changed just seen it. d`oh
Old 19-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Bit of a pointless post to be honest. Yes, street racing is bad, blah, blah, blah, but surely in this case the more important point is that someone glued screws to a duel carriageway? Or was that part a wind-up? Can't be arsed trawling through the Pistonheads thread - too full of guardian reading do-gooders. Much like yourself Fred.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Chip

You have touched a nerve by being boring, if you read the other thread rather than just continually replying to it you will see that many of us (myself included) also feel that street racing is a bad idea.
You just dont need to send people to sleep talking about it.

Really, I thought you were going to get your coat and find somewhere else to bore people to sleep instead?

I cant point out a single of the two threads you have been active in where you havent TBH
Old 19-08-2010, 11:08 AM
FredElliot

Originally Posted by rsnissan
Not really, I have nowhere to store another car.

Im not suggesting this site is rife with illegal street racers, far from it. Indeed it seems like there are quite a few very knowledgeable people and hopefully the sort that would entertain a discussion on the street racing subject.

Lets get it straight, Im not accusing this site of being "pro" street racing per se, its just that is how it may appear to any people coming to this site as a result of recent events.

Im sure those here that can appreciate there is a time and a place will also appreciate that the street racing needs to be distanced from the majority of well behaved car enthusiasts that enjoy their gatherings and club meets without wishing to be tarred with the same brush.

As per a previous post, their car was pulled in and checked because it just looked like it might be a "boy racer" car that these street racer types use.

Thats is why we need the distinction, so that people who take pride in their vehicle that have respect for other road users and the way in which they use their car are not just targetted in the same manner as those who spoil it for the rest of us.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:11 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

WTF is a actual street race anyway?
Old 19-08-2010, 11:13 AM
FredElliot

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Bit of a pointless post to be honest. Yes, street racing is bad, blah, blah, blah, but surely in this case the more important point is that someone glued screws to a duel carriageway? Or was that part a wind-up? Can't be arsed trawling through the Pistonheads thread - too full of guardian reading do-gooders. Much like yourself Fred.
We dont even know if the screws in the road story was true, its yet to be confirmed in anything more official than a single photo of said fixing which would have been taken anywhere.

Though as Ive said, im not overly bothered about discussing the individual event, as its clear emotions are still going to be high, and it may not be warranted.

Perhaps a discussion on how the general car enthusiast can be seperated from the ones who get us all tarred with the "boy racer" brush is the way to go. Thats what Ive been trying to stimulate

Oh, I dont read a newspaper, they are always just full of doom and gloom, not the way to start a good day!
Old 19-08-2010, 11:14 AM
zerocool
Virgin

Tags ffs leave it your boring, fred = cunt, fred borelliot, fred=yawn!

Old 19-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Chip

blah blah blah blah
Fascinating, but didnt you promise to fuck off a page or so ago?
Old 19-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by rabmc
WTF is a actual street race anyway?
Have you seen the Fast and The Furious?
Old 19-08-2010, 11:20 AM
FredElliot

Fascinating, but didnt you promise to fuck off a page or so ago?
No I said I'd get my coat, I was popping out for lunch, Im back now.

It appears you have some problem with my posting here. Tell you what, hows about you pick a mature and sensible subject to discuss. Careful you dont hurt yourself while rummaging around in your mind sack to come up with something remotely mature...
Old 19-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Chip

Tell you what, hows about you pick a mature and sensible subject to discuss. Careful you dont hurt yourself while rummaging around in your mind sack to come up with something remotely mature...
Certianly, how about engine geometry?

You start
Old 19-08-2010, 11:23 AM
gaz s1

and so it goes on.......................
Old 19-08-2010, 11:27 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

still here...
Old 19-08-2010, 11:36 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I said I'd get my coat, I was popping out for lunch, Im back now.

It appears you have some problem with my posting here. Tell you what, hows about you pick a mature and sensible subject to discuss. Careful you dont hurt yourself while rummaging around in your mind sack to come up with something remotely mature...

Old 19-08-2010, 11:39 AM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

The type of people who street race are not going to decide its a bad idea because there is a thread on a forum saying its wrong, part of the reason its attracts them im sure is because its seen as badass IMO.

The young guy (scary, same age as me) that died died doing something stupid and recless and he is bloody lucky to not have taken another innocent life with him! Respect should be earned and it is certainly not earned by racing on the streets and putting innocent lives in danger, well i say its not earned that way but IMO it is certainly not earned from the majority of the country that way!
Old 19-08-2010, 11:39 AM
ZetecNology
Part of the Furniture

You start
Old 19-08-2010, 11:40 AM
FredElliot

You start
Were you referring to a discussion on perhaps the benefits and drawbacks of a boxer engine layout and specifically its effect on torque in the newly released Subarus diesel boxer engine.

or something like the effect of a turbo on the work cycle of an engine, perhaps the intake and exhaust pressure differences adding positive power contributions from the cylinder stroke. Specifically the exhaust and intake strokes alone, but you already knew that - thats was just for the benefit of the others who seem to find your posts attempting to belittle me amusing.

And Im accused of startig boring topics and posting with great irony?

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds does it.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:45 AM
FredElliot

Originally Posted by nick-21
The type of people who street race are not going to decide its a bad idea because there is a thread on a forum saying its wrong, part of the reason its attracts them im sure is because its seen as badass IMO.

The young guy (scary, same age as me) that died died doing something stupid and recless and he is bloody lucky to not have taken another innocent life with him! Respect should be earned and it is certainly not earned by racing on the streets and putting innocent lives in danger, well i say its not earned that way but IMO it is certainly not earned from the majority of the country that way!
See - now why cant everyone just respond in this way?

I'd have to agree, sadly one thread on one forum isnt going to make much of a difference. It doesnt make the discussion itself pointless though does it?

There seems to have been a significant drop in the sort of antics that would be considered to be the "boy racer" type actions, between the late 90s to later 00's. It seems to be coming back in fashion for some reason now though. I think, as you have pointed out, this "respect" culture seems to play a big part in it.
Old 19-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Chip

Were you referring to a discussion on perhaps the benefits and drawbacks of a boxer engine layout and specifically its effect on torque in the newly released Subarus diesel boxer engine.
Not really, but for just using google you kind of got vaguely close I guess, I picked that subject as I just wondered if you would just attempt to pretend to know about any random subject I came up with just to try and look clever even though you actually CLEARLY know nothing about it. So why pretend?
Why not just say "Sorry I know nothing about that" ?

Personally I talk on the internet a lot, but the difference between me and you is I just talk about subjects I know something about, rather than attempting to talk just for the sake of it like yourself.

or something like the effect of a turbo on the work cycle of an engine, perhaps the intake and exhaust pressure differences adding positive power contributions from the cylinder stroke. Specifically the exhaust and intake strokes alone, but you already knew that - thats was just for the benefit of the others who seem to find your posts attempting to belittle me amusing.

I guess as you know nothing about my background whatsoever, you will miss the irony of you spouting some googled up half facts that you didnt really get quite in context and then say "but you already know this no doubt" about the chosen subject I picked, as you wont be aware its something of a specialist subject of mine

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:02 PM
FredElliot

I think you will find I got them entirely in context.

I am a little rusty, and have never been involved in engine dynamics in any professional manner though did have a fairly competent grasp of physics until I actually got a job that has barely used any physics skills beyond what is probably now GCSE level.

I also find it amusing Im offered a race via this thread, advised to apply as a pcso, and vilified for wanting to discuss something sensibly, while knowing nothing about my circumstances either.

Ive actually been contacted by a long standing member from here who seems to have approached my posting here with a sensible head on their shoulders, why others seem to have a problem with me I dont know.

Im not trying to disrespect any individual here, although Ive made sniping remarks at individuals whom have singled me out for attack simply for trying to open a decent debate.

I have posted with a fair ammount of respect on the now deleted thread and offered my condolences (for what they are worth as a total stranger) to those whom have been affected by the specific event (which by the way Im not wanting to discuss here anyway).

I thought it may have been an appropriate time to raise the subject of "street racing" or other vehicle related antisocial behavouir and its effect on all of us as car enthusiasts. Apparently not.

Perhaps this thread should be consigned to the bin afterall.

For the record I have had a look round this forum, and Im actually pleasantly surprised to find it mostly full of sensible and mature discussion, with just the right ammount of light hearted banter mixed in, which makes a change for the tinternet. That is why I joined, not to troll, but I thought it seemed as gooder place as anywhere to start a discussion which I and others would enjoy.

Ill just post on topic and elsewhere if this thread isnt going to fly Hope thats ok.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:09 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

I haven't read the story of how the chap came to lose his life, apart from speed/racing being involved.

I've never participated (or spectated) in an actual street race - I assume this would be something like the 'mad mile' (which is a private road somewhere obviously ).

We all own performance cars because we like to drive fast/accerlation - as has been said already, having a bit of a 'rip up' with another performance car on a dual carriage way for a few minutes surely differs from a street race? Although does street racing take place on roads away from innocent members of the public (i.e. quiet industrial estates?)

I have been over the speed limit on occasion - I like to think I'm of mature enough of mind and judgement to be aware of possible hazards, (junctions, tractors, bikes etc etc etc) I stick to 30, 40 and 50mph where designated speed limit, but if the road seems 'safe' (IMHO) to do 80mph in a national speed limit I may have considering doing it*

I guess it's all to do with maturity and experience, you think your invincible when younger, and of course your having fun and don't think of the possible dangers/outcomes.

Track days are just that - to drive your car at speed with no speed limits, racing is not allowed

*disclaimer - any breaking of speed limits has been on private roads of course

Last edited by cabrio zo; 19-08-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:10 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

TBH i think that street racing will always go on espcially with young drivers
its just look / pick of the draw who crashes and who doesn't
one thread on one forum isn't going to do any thing IMO, also with exception to the odd few i personally think most of the people on here don't go street racing so i think its a waste on this forum
ok a lot of people drive fast etc but not street racing
Old 19-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Chip

I think you will find I got them entirely in context.
Nope, but as I said, for a googled attempt to pretend you had a clue what you were on about it could have been worse, you'd definately make a better PCSO than journalist

As I also said though, just saying "sorry I know nothing about that" would have been a FAR more mature response than to try and pretend at all, so if you only learn one thing from this forum, it should probably be that

Last edited by Chip; 19-08-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:12 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

I think Chip is a bit peeved somebody has come onto his turf and acted more like Chip than Chip does himself
Old 19-08-2010, 12:13 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

I think it's a good topic to raise, but sadly racing/speeding on public roads of any kind is never going to stop
Old 19-08-2010, 12:15 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

Originally Posted by timrud
I think Chip is a bit peeved somebody has come onto his turf and acted more like Chip than Chip does himself
Old 19-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by timrud
Lol
Old 19-08-2010, 12:22 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

You maybe a newbie, but you seem to have Chip clocked already!

Quick Reply: The Dangers of Racing on Public Roads