General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Land Registry Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Land Registry Help

Just wondering if anyone can help out with some advise

I bought my house 6 months ago and paid solicitor final bill etc then.

Now i get a letter 6 months later saying land registry fee's have gone up and i owe them more money

My question is should that not have completed the land registry stuff 6 months ago when i completed the house purchase? Is it their problem that they havent bothered and now the fee's have gone up?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:53 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Have you got the breakdown of their bill? They should have sent you one listing what they did and the fees included for each search and request they billed you for.

Then polotly tell them to fuck off.

Then go and find the official place to make a complaint as if thy are barging you for something that's gone up after you were supposed to have had it done then what else have they missed?

My uncle got back his £40k court costs and the £7k he had to pay for an error his soliciter made about 15 years ago that only came to lighting the last few years so deffo worth pursuing if you could potentially get shafted when you come to sell the place.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by dojj
Have you got the breakdown of their bill? They should have sent you one listing what they did and the fees included for each search and request they billed you for.

Then polotly tell them to fuck off.

Then go and find the official place to make a complaint as if thy are barging you for something that's gone up after you were supposed to have had it done then what else have they missed?

My uncle got back his £40k court costs and the £7k he had to pay for an error his soliciter made about 15 years ago that only came to lighting the last few years so deffo worth pursuing if you could potentially get shafted when you come to sell the place.
Yeah i have a breakdown somewhere in the file of paper. I will have to dig it out.

yeah thats what i dont want, when i go to sell and turn in to a complete fu>k up cause they have messed something up.

Once i got near completion i didnt liked the solicitor, never there to answer your call, never returned calls etc but didnt want to change as it was nearly all done, the developer was paying the stamp duty which myself and the developers solicitor had told my solicitor but by first final bill came out with the stamp duty fee on it ffs.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
daviddunlop83

Also who would i ring to make a complaint?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
FestaRST
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Land Registry fees went up on 6th July 2009 and not since then

for example if your purchase price was between 100K and 200K the fee went from £150 to £200.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by FestaRST
Land Registry fees went up on 6th July 2009 and not since then

for example if your purchase price was between 100K and 200K the fee went from £150 to £200.
Might be different over here

According to :-http://www.lrni.gov.uk/static/staticFrame.jsp

New Land Registry Fees Order
"The Land Registry (Fees) Order (Northern Ireland) 2010 will come into operation on 1st June 2010."

Tho if they did go up in july 2009 and i got my bill in Feb 2010 its the solicitors fault for not getting the correct amount. You might understand if it was the month the fee's changed but not 8 months later ffs
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM
FestaRST
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Might be different over here

According to :-http://www.lrni.gov.uk/static/staticFrame.jsp

New Land Registry Fees Order
"The Land Registry (Fees) Order (Northern Ireland) 2010 will come into operation on 1st June 2010."

Tho if they did go up in july 2009 and i got my bill in Feb 2010 its the solicitors fault for not getting the correct amount. You might understand if it was the month the fee's changed but not 8 months later ffs
Sorry didnt spot your location.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM
daviddunlop83

Just spoke to the solicitors assistant and they said they only recieved the maps and thats why it wasnt done 6 months ago. I said well thats not my fault, as far as im concerned you charged me 6 months ago and i paid. So im not prepared to pay anymore. If the developer was late releasing the maps its his problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

You may not like what you are going to hear but there is a very sneaky scam where the developer "pays" the stamp duty to get the price recorded as higher at the land registry and so the bank thinks it's lending you money on a property that's worth a higher figure. The solicitors and sellers colaborate in it to make the deal more tempting and even though it's not illegal, it's not really the right way to go about things.

I'd be inclined to go and check everything again if you do so free of charge or for pennies because the last thing you want to do is to get shafted.

They shouldn't be charging you for the other parties fuck up though and if something comes to light later on you'll be in the mire so I'd make sure the solicitor is jumping through a few more hoops to give you some peace of mind, if something is amiss and you've bought the house, who's going to cover up the shortfall if they've built it an inch too far to one side? Or if there's going to be a motorway planned to run through your back garden in a few years time? Or if there is someone else who has access rifts of way a Ross your property which means you can't build that extension/garage you were thinking about?