General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tips on wedding speech needed please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM
cossiedrift
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on wedding speech needed please

I get married on the 31st and have no idea where to start

Thanks Danny
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

thanks for coming

sit down
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, there are lots of guides online. Thats where I started. Find a plan of general etiquette, it will tell you what you are supposed to do and not supposed to do. It will start to make sense. Also, I bet there are a few on YouTube. I didn't follow all the traditional rules, but once I'd read how they are expected to be structured, it kinda all made sense.

Mostly, have some fun and when it comes to delivering your speech, pace your voice, keep it well in control because if you jabber away, you'll get in a pickle!!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for starters, don't be asking on here numb nuts, you got a death wish or something?! Your wife's gonna rip your nuts off if you utter anything anyone tells you to say off here

I'm getting married June 4th next year and I'm almost done with mine....mate you really should have done your homework sooner

Simple tips...

Never slate the inlaws,
Don't use bad language,
Don't mention ex-girlfriends,
Don't buy those silly jaded cliche rip offs you get off the internet, everyone knows its been written for you. People are very perceptive during speeches, so from the heart boyo

Sounds like only an idiot would mention the above, but you'd be surprised how many weddings I've been to and you hear nothing but crickets

Last edited by COCHYN; 09-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Other things you MUST do.

Of course you must make a lengthy comment about how amazing your new wife looks, and be sure to look at her while you do so.

Thank everyone that needs thanking (Best Man, Ushers, Bridemaids, Brides Parents, you Parents, Guests in general).
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 AM
cossiedrift

Think its more aless sorted now ta lads
Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by cossiedrift
Think its more aless sorted now ta lads
Once you're finished, do a practise read of it and record yourself. That way you can hear how fast/slow you are speaking and have an idea how long it will last. I think my speech was about 20-25 minutes from memory.

I stopped in a layby on the way home from work one night and recorded it on using the recorder on my mobile. LOL. Wanted to not have the possible pressure of anyone listening!!

I know it all sounds a bit OTT, but trust me, you'll be shitting yourself on the day and it all goes too fast anyway to be wasting time worrying about your speech. Get it all nailed and 100% sorted and you will have a MUCH better day.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Once you're finished, do a practise read of it and record yourself. That way you can hear how fast/slow you are speaking and have an idea how long it will last. I think my speech was about 20-25 minutes from memory.

I stopped in a layby on the way home from work one night and recorded it on using the recorder on my mobile. LOL. Wanted to not have the possible pressure of anyone listening!!

I know it all sounds a bit OTT, but trust me, you'll be shitting yourself on the day and it all goes too fast anyway to be wasting time worrying about your speech. Get it all nailed and 100% sorted and you will have a MUCH better day.
Agree totally. Try to treat is a job interview, and as if you have to produce a presentation. It helps to record yourself on your camera phone, so at least you have an idea of how much of a div you're coming across to your audience But for the day itself, just be yourself mate, don't make it sound like you've rehearsed it

Good luck and I wish you all the best for the future!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by COCHYN
Agree totally. Try to treat is a job interview, and as if you have to produce a presentation. It helps to record yourself on your camera phone, so at least you have an idea of how much of a div you're coming across to your audience But for the day itself, just be yourself mate, don't make it sound like you've rehearsed it

Good luck and I wish you all the best for the future!
Thats right, you need to make sure you are comfortable enough that you are relaxed. It'll make the difference between your speech being remember for you shitting your pants, and making your speech and really captivating everyone.

Mine was VERY emotional and I spent some time speaking about each of the main people in my family and due to the fact that both sides of my family had been through some tough times, by the end of it, I was fighting back the tears. Both mine and my brothers speeches seemed to be well received and my only regret now is that we didn't have someone video the key parts of the day. We concentrated more on the photography, which we don't regret (our wedding album is epic), but it would have been really nice to watch the speeches back, even if only on an amateur recording.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
john_p_b

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i 90% blagged my way through mine, wrote a list of ppl i needed to mention or thank and in what order about 10 minutes before i got in the car to leave for the church.