General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Iphone 4

Search this Thread

Old 25-06-2010, 10:27 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karlos G
Well they would need to find a place for two antenna's in a phone that doesnt have room for any, so pretty much!
It's not like it can be sorted with an update is it? lol
no, obviousely an update will only fix software, but something can be incorporated in to the phone to fix this problem,they wouldnt need 2 antennae at all, but could be simply re-routed by a few mm to either not be a problem or even shield it a little more,its not rocket science to be honest and Apple will fix it at some point of that you can be sure.
Old 26-06-2010, 02:17 AM
RickDraper
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by st3v3
no, obviousely an update will only fix software, but something can be incorporated in to the phone to fix this problem,they wouldnt need 2 antennae at all, but could be simply re-routed by a few mm to either not be a problem or even shield it a little more,its not rocket science to be honest and Apple will fix it at some point of that you can be sure.
Steve Jobs was quoted as saying "just dont hold it like that".

I believe they have little interest in fixing the issue as the phone does not have enough space to fix the issue hence the issue been caused in the first place.
Old 26-06-2010, 06:33 AM
GaryHurn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

well i went to the apple shop yesterday waited in line and bought a ............ sim free 3GS , i looked at the 4 and it didint feel very nice in the hand, looks like a sony ericsson, quite sharp around edges and the fact when i picked up 3 different phones around the shop in the palm of my hand the signal went to nothing let go and they come back to full, i questioned the apple fella and he said its not an issue all phones are like it, its due to heat build up he then said i should buy a rubber case!!! i paid 419 and got the 3gs no problems with signal what so ever...... until they fix the issue with the signal im not interested in buying a 4 the screen is nice but just seems a bit brighter

i kindly put it down and asked him to get me a sim free 3gs. tbh i am very impressed it is so much nicer to use than the htc hd2 (windows 6.5 was utter wank) i am now selling, and with the factory installed ISO4 it will do me fine!!

i am an apple convert now
Old 26-06-2010, 08:47 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Reception problem fix?

http://www.fastcompany.com/1663768/iphone-4-antenna-fix
Old 26-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RickDraper
Steve Jobs was quoted as saying "just dont hold it like that".

I believe they have little interest in fixing the issue as the phone does not have enough space to fix the issue hence the issue been caused in the first place.
Yeah exactly what I think mate, although the irony is that they used this antenna design to try and improve on the poor reception the 3G and 3GS are notorious for! lol
Originally Posted by GaryHurn
well i went to the apple shop yesterday waited in line and bought a ............ sim free 3GS , i looked at the 4 and it didint feel very nice in the hand, looks like a sony ericsson, quite sharp around edges and the fact when i picked up 3 different phones around the shop in the palm of my hand the signal went to nothing let go and they come back to full, i questioned the apple fella and he said its not an issue all phones are like it, its due to heat build up he then said i should buy a rubber case!!! i paid 419 and got the 3gs no problems with signal what so ever...... until they fix the issue with the signal im not interested in buying a 4 the screen is nice but just seems a bit brighter

i kindly put it down and asked him to get me a sim free 3gs. tbh i am very impressed it is so much nicer to use than the htc hd2 (windows 6.5 was utter wank) i am now selling, and with the factory installed ISO4 it will do me fine!!

i am an apple convert now
I have had a few people saying it's not nice to hold, and the signal problem is not good, also there a are many people getting "No Sim" errors and having to remove the sim and reinsert it too.

I currently have a HTC HD2 and it is a excellent phone, nothing else touches it, BUT......... as you say Winmo 6.5 is utter wank!! If they had android on it or even WP7 I would not be looking to change, but it is just soooo unstable, always hanging, maybe have to reset it once every couple of days.... real shame HTC used such an archaic OS on an otherwise superb phone

Last edited by Karlos G; 26-06-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 26-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Nice! lol
Old 26-06-2010, 09:13 AM
GaryHurn

Originally Posted by Karlos G
Yeah exactly what I think mate, although the irony is that they used this antenna design to try and improve on the poor reception the 3G and 3GS are notorious for! lol

I have had a few people saying it's not nice to hold, and the signal problem is not good, also there a are many people getting "No Sim" errors and having to remove the sim and reinsert it too.

I currently have a HTC HD2 and it is a excellent phone, nothing else touches it, BUT......... as you say Winmo 6.5 is utter wank!! If they had android on it or even WP7 I would not be looking to change, but it is just soooo unstable, always hanging, maybe have to reset it once every couple of days.... real shame HTC used such an archaic OS on an otherwise superb phone
i agree the htc is a great phone the screen calrity is up there with the iphone4 for sure but having to reset the phone every few days, and having error messages all the time, windows marketplace is utter shite, an android system like on the desire wouldve put it up there. but 6.5 is shocking utter shite. for web browsing the htc is miles better than the iphone 3gs and 4 and the camera is superb but its so un reliable. windows 7 wont be released on it as the button configuration is wrong or something my htc is on ebay i enjoy the layout of the iphone

Last edited by GaryHurn; 26-06-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 26-06-2010, 09:20 AM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to restore mine last night as the contacts where all like Mark:B and bits missing etc

The phone is now in recovery mode and wont turn on or when i try to restore it again it wont work.

Also the simcard in the adaptor wont work in my old phone now either, it just says insert sim into the old phone which it did work i the day i got the new phone

I think this one will be back in the post to orange on monday if it doesnt start working

Im now left without a phone. will go get a pay as you go sim card after work today so at least i dont feel as if my arm is cut off
Old 26-06-2010, 11:04 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Old 26-06-2010, 11:07 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYmVpoccPnc&NR=1
Old 26-06-2010, 07:01 PM
ricky_2006

Originally Posted by FasterFords
Unless Im reading it wrong, Ive got to 650mb so far this month, without even trying that hard.

Jesus mate. What the fuck do you do to get that much. You download films and shit like that.

That ain't Internet browsing coz I only top 175mb and always browsing on net etc
Old 26-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

if you stream that's the problem
Old 26-06-2010, 07:26 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

3 mates have iPhone 4s and no matter how you hold them it doesn't seem to affect the signal? I'm going to wait a bit before I get one - seldom does the 'early adopter' get the best product!

I have just bought a 3GS for the wife though - Ł79 for a 16gb on a Ł30 per month contract, which I thought was a cracking deal.
Old 26-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hockney

I don't get the signal problem either on mine, just the no sim error that's pissing me off
Old 26-06-2010, 08:30 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

I can get the signal to drop on mine depending how I hold it. It does appear to be how I hold it as well.
Old 26-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Originally Posted by DazC
I can get the signal to drop on mine depending how I hold it. It does appear to be how I hold it as well.
lol
Old 26-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

2 days in now...

Iphone 4.... is good and bad.

reception does seem shit! but so did the 3GS. Battery is better but not massively. Screen amazing.

TomTom app works ALOT better than it did on 3GS...

forward facing cam is QUALITY! just took some v fuuny vids in Westfield on me doing some hard acceleration runs!

its MUCH harder to hold! and feels worse in your hand... and although lighter. Feels heavier!

Last edited by Porkie; 26-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 26-06-2010, 09:18 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Originally Posted by Porkie
2 days in now...

reception does seem shit! but so did the 3GS. Battery is better but not massively. Screen amazing.

forward facing cam is QUALITY! just took some v fuuny vids in Westfield on me doing some hard acceleration runs!

its MUCH harder to hold! and feels worse in your hand... and although lighter. Feels heavier!

upload
Old 26-06-2010, 09:19 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i am so wanting one but i just dont know how long to wait now GRRRRR
ive been looking forwards to this since January!!
Old 26-06-2010, 09:45 PM
FasterFords

Originally Posted by ricky_2006
Jesus mate. What the fuck do you do to get that much. You download films and shit like that.

That ain't Internet browsing coz I only top 175mb and always browsing on net etc
download the odd podcast that I forgot to get off my PC, list to the radio over 3g in the monring, use logmein to check stuff on my PC, bit of youtube , etc ,etc just using the phone for what it can do

I've got very restricted internet at work, so the phone takes a hammering
Old 26-06-2010, 10:00 PM
FasterFords

Just under 12 months use and just under 12gb downloaded, so will need to move to vodafone

Old 26-06-2010, 11:22 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2 days in now...

I would agree with everything you have written Porkie.
Old 27-06-2010, 12:28 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have my IPhone 4 in my old 3G case and it feels just the same as it did before (Rounded instead of flat), which I think will stop people saying it doesn't feel right. OK, so the back does not go flat to the back of the phone, but I can live with that
Old 27-06-2010, 01:37 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

popped down to the o2 shop today but they were shut.
I then went to the car phone warehouse and phones for u and both told me that the o2 shop were recalling theirs due to this problem with the antenna.

Now im not sure what they intend to do about, if able to do anything, i also dont know how many, but i am intrieged.

please note:This was the o2 shop in town NOT o2 as a company.

Last edited by st3v3; 27-06-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 27-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Well I had a play with one today, and first impressions - I think I much prefer it over the 3G I currently have!

I had the original (metal back) iPhone before getting a 3G last year (didn't bother going to the 3GS, as I was offered a 3G for half the price lol) and instantly wasn't as happy with the 3G as I was the 2G. Obviously I much prefer the faster speed of both the cellular data and the phone in general, and the display, and speaker/mic on the 3G are better, but I was never happy with how it felt in my hand - the 2G was slimmer and thinner (width) than the 3G and 3GS, and I've never liked the curved plastic back on the 3G/S either - the flat metal back of the 2G was much better IMO.

So with the 4, I'm loving it's flat back. I'm loving it's slimmer, and I think it's a tiny bit tinner (width) but actually a tiny bit taller. The display is AWESOME! It's like the first time going from a CRT monitor to a TFT lol. Text on it looks fantastic, the icons look fantastic, pictures, video, all looks really good. Very impressed. Side by side comparrison loading TVcatchup in safari, selecting a channel and getting it to play between my 3G and the 4 - the 4 won hands down. And thats over wifi so as to eliminate cellular data speeds between networks. Same with loading up a webpage from scratch - used Apple's US site, twice as quick from start to finish on the 4 than my 3G. So that shows the internal spec is much better and faster than the 3G's cpu/ram...

So all in all, once the problems have been ironed out, and T-Mobile sort me out with a deal on getting one, I'll deffo get one. Probably only the 16gb (I don't keep music on my 16gb 3G so not fussed about space) and deffo the black one, as the white looks fucking GASH!
Old 27-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried one that had problems with reception with a gel case or any other to see if it helped?! Once i get a call from vodafone to tell me who/how they fucked up by sending me a 3gs despite ordering and paying for a 4 im gonna be either getting one from them when back in stock or from another network!!
Old 27-06-2010, 09:02 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

MY bother in law put a gel case on his iPhone 4 and it has fixed the reception problem. I told him that a bit of sellatape / nail varnish (from the missus) would of done the same job.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:22 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Apparently it could be a software issue also and how the phone chooses it's conecting signal and I've read twise now that it could be made better by how the phone selects this through it's software

http://www.mobilewhack.com/iphone-4-...oftware-issue/

I will post another site later with a better explanation as the one above doesn't tell all.

Last edited by st3v3; 28-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 28-06-2010, 07:28 AM
daviddunlop83

The problems i have been having is when i tried to restore mine for whatever reason the laptop was causing issues with usb,

And the simcard from orange is faulty so im getting a new one sent out and will be here tommorrow morning.

Hope this software update solves some issues wirh the reception too.
Old 28-06-2010, 12:46 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

anyone want this, just shout

Old 28-06-2010, 01:18 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

I'll have it if you're just giving it away

If not, how much?
Old 28-06-2010, 01:36 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it's a 3g 8gb you might be wanting,I know of a fella that might be getting shot of one shortly.
If you pm me I'll put you in touch with him.
Old 28-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Pardeep
I'm going with Vodafone cos they have the better deal this time round. 02 are ripping people a new one with capping the internet allowance and asking for a additional Ł10 for another 500mb.

FOOOOOOOOOKERS!!!! lol
I think you'll find all operators will go down this route(voda and 3 have as well); data usage is growing exponentially and the networks won't cope if folk remain on an unlimited bundles......
Old 28-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DaveEscos
anyone want this, just shout

Have you got a BO problem Dave?
Old 28-06-2010, 02:32 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

that's just two bottles of aftershave mate, theres another 3 bottles out of view!
Old 28-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

that's just two bottles of aftershave mate, theres another 3 bottles out of view!
LMAO - what do you do? have a little squirt before answering the phone?
Old 28-06-2010, 02:37 PM
imnoteasy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

just sent my iphone 4 back, no good for emails and thats what i need the most.
new bb storm for me
Old 28-06-2010, 02:41 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
LMAO - what do you do? have a little squirt before answering the phone?

they just kind of build up!

Old 28-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You tart!
Old 28-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
your out as he loves a bit of lamb
Quality so i'm in then?

Bought a 32 gig outright, get a micro sim from O2 in store and get them to transfer yout tariff over to the micro

Bob's your nans left minge flap!
Sounds easy. Shame i can't get a fucking phone!

er???

Can I just say....

I TOLD YOU SO!
Erm, tbh i'm probably saying it to myself too

Dave what watch is that on the table?

Quick Reply: Iphone 4