General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Was Maradona just A CHEAT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
I agree but for instance messi or christiano have impressive skills, Pace, fitness, Free kick ability, Great Shooting etc etc.

Why do people regard a cheat as a far better player than these people?
Because he was better no one at his level around at the mo.
Up there with Pele & Best. Hate him with a passion but many regard him as perhaps the greatest of them all.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
Because he was better no one at his level around at the mo.
Up there with Pele & Best. Hate him with a passion but many regard him as perhaps the greatest of them all.
But why was he better Rod, is it not just fond memories?

Was he a quick player, I mean compared to a modern day footballer?

he obviously had the skills but still i would not say he was as skilful as cristiano from what i have seen.

He obviosly could not head the ball as he had to use his hand.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:44 PM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back then football was more creative with likes of Maradona who could do amazing things in heat of competition like Best Zidane Pele could, now football its all about pace pace pass pace paycheck
Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But why was he better Rod, is it not just fond memories?

Was he a quick player, I mean compared to a modern day footballer?

he obviously had the skills but still i would not say he was as skilful as cristiano from what i have seen.

He obviosly could not head the ball as he had to use his hand.
#

They used to say that Maradonna was faster with the ball at his feet, than other players were without it!

He was a tremendous player. Really amazing.

But no, heading was not his speciality
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there must have been paychecks back then, he had to have money to buy all the performance enhancing drugs he was taking .
Old 11-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

No wonder they drug tested him......

Lets face it, he looks like he's taken buffalo stimulants in that pic
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

i know where your all coming from but who rates adrian mutu, rio ferdinand,gascoine adams cantona and many more that were not all good guys its only because we hate maradona sooooooo fucking much that we say this
i know he was one of the best players ever to live and i follow football like i follow my legs and only a few players come through that have that top player thing like messi and ronaldo in 30 years time your kids or what ever will see players that are good but youll always say i remember ronaldo and messi when i was younger
for all the older guys here reading this i can say ronaldo now was as good as say van basten ,messi was as good as maradona , terry was as good as bobby moore all im saying is if you could do a 100 list of the best players ever youd put ronaldo, messi, rooney ,giggs,beckham, ronaldinho all in there easy and some will be better than 50th in any list imo
so there you goo maradona even tho i fucking hate saying it was at least 1 of the 5th greatest football players ever to live
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to live when though?

Now?

You put was at least 1 of top 5...
Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

to live when though?

Now?

You put was at least 1 of top 5...
one of 5 best players ever in most peoples lists
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ronaldo couldn't lace Maradona's boots imo.

Remember Ronaldo is also one of the biggest cheats/divers of the modern game, to say you don't rate Maradona because he cheated and then put forward Ronaldo is stupid.

I've been all over the World with the Tartan Army, seen some of the best players in the world at their peak and I've yet to see anyone come close to Maradona for skill and presence on the park.

For me Maradona is the greatest there has been. I'm aware not all agree, but he was phenomenal. He not only won the WC for Argentina, he also was one of the main reasons for Napoli's success during that time as well.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Smiggy

Remember Ronaldo is also one of the biggest cheats/divers of the modern game, to say you don't rate Maradona because he cheated and then put forward Ronaldo is stupid.
Mate thats outrageous.

someone diving at the start of his career and winking after rooney gets sent off is not on the same level as being a cheating drug taking blatent hand balling dirty argy.

And im sorry not fit to lace his boots! what do you base this on exactly?

You quote he was the reason for napolis success at that point. Was ronaldo not the reason for man utds success at their point as thats what all the anti man u people said when he left!

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 11-06-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:34 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

there both good players but if they could play at there peaks then id say errrmmm .................................................. ..............none carnt pick
Old 11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Smiggy

dirty argy.
Ah, the real reason surfaces....

And im sorry not fit to lace his boots!
Not what I said at all.

You quote he was the reason for napolis success at that point. Was ronaldo not the reason for man utds success at their point as thats what all the anti man u people said when he left!
You a Man U fan? You're getting awfully wound up

Thread is about opinions, based on having seen both in the flesh on a football pitch that was mine. You don't need to agree.

Maradona had everything, he was strong, he had fantastic pace, he could also change pace in the blink of an eye to get by a man, he scored goals, he was very difficult to get the ball off as his low centre of gravity made it hard to push him over, he could control and hit the ball equally well with both feet, he could see passes and movement well in advance of many around him. Just outstanding.

Watch his performance against Brazil 2nd round Italia 90. They tried to kick him off the park and he just kept going at them, fantastic run for caniggia to score. Great player. Can't see Ronaldo ever making same impact. Great player yes, but not great enough imo.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's zico your thinking of and he was pretty awesome but maradona hand of god has nothing to do with England?you lot have been dining out on that for 24 years,after all,don't forget the ball never crossed the line in 66,proven time and again by technology so in fact you never even won a world cup....even at home!!!Maradonna as previously posted won that cup practically on his own,England like to say that was the goal that cheated them out of the world cup semi final but they were 1-0 down at that point playing shit.as I said before,I know Wales are shite,just qualifying would be a major achievement for us,albeit an unlikley one.were not still harping on about joe jordans dive to get Scotland a penalty and deny us a place in the finals,a certain Russian who tested positive for drugs,scored against us yet Russia still didn't get banned hence we lost out on euro 2004,shit happens,get over it,yes he cheated but so did your precious c.ronaldo in nearly every game he played for man u.I remember the man u fans booing eduardo for diving to win a penalty against Celtic,cheeky fuckers worst cheats in the premiership,Rooney,ronaldo,Hughes,biggest divers in the game,could teach the Germans a thing or two!!!Oh,and had you conveniently forgotten c.ronaldo got Rooney sent off at Germany 2006?oh no,cos he did that himself by stamping on someones bollox, but it was ronaldos fault cos he winked at the bench,yeah of course.even the man u fans booed ronaldo for that,until he single handedly won the title with about 40 goals for them,fickle as fuck!!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Quote:
dirty argy.
Ah, the real reason surfaces....

Quote:
And im sorry not fit to lace his boots!
Not what I said at all.

Quote:
You a Man U fan? You're getting awfully wound up

Of course he's a Man u fan..........he lives in Essex!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

Originally Posted by vaughant
It's zico your thinking of and he was pretty awesome but maradona hand of god has nothing to do with England?you lot have been dining out on that for 24 years,after all,don't forget the ball never crossed the line in 66,proven time and again by technology so in fact you never even won a world cup....even at home!!!Maradonna as previously posted won that cup practically on his own,England like to say that was the goal that cheated them out of the world cup semi final but they were 1-0 down at that point playing shit.as I said before,I know Wales are shite,just qualifying would be a major achievement for us,albeit an unlikley one.were not still harping on about joe jordans dive to get Scotland a penalty and deny us a place in the finals,a certain Russian who tested positive for drugs,scored against us yet Russia still didn't get banned hence we lost out on euro 2004,shit happens,get over it,yes he cheated but so did your precious c.ronaldo in nearly every game he played for man u.I remember the man u fans booing eduardo for diving to win a penalty against Celtic,cheeky fuckers worst cheats in the premiership,Rooney,ronaldo,Hughes,biggest divers in the game,could teach the Germans a thing or two!!!Oh,and had you conveniently forgotten c.ronaldo got Rooney sent off at Germany 2006?oh no,cos he did that himself by stamping on someones bollox, but it was ronaldos fault cos he winked at the bench,yeah of course.even the man u fans booed ronaldo for that,until he single handedly won the title with about 40 goals for them,fickle as fuck!!
sorry mate i think england won the game 4-2 so we would of won 3-2 anyways mate
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM
RobL
Advanced PassionFord User

Im sorry there is no way ryan giggs or brazilian ronaldo are better than cristiano ronaldo or messi.
sorry but you sound a bit clueless
seriuosly anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that the luis ronaldo in his prime was probably the greatest striker of all time
ronaldo and messi have done fuck all yet in comparison

two world cups and a goalscoring record like this

games goals
cruizero 14 12
psv 46 42
barcelona 37 34
inter 68 49
real madrid 127 83
brazil 97 62

only just realised hes only 33 too,amazing really he wasted so much of his career due to injury and fatness,he couldve been even better

Last edited by RobL; 11-06-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're on about me I said Luis Ronaldo not Christiano.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Maradona was a brilliant player for real
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by johnandhissaffy
sorry mate i think england won the game 4-2 so we would of won 3-2 anyways mate
But you were 2-1 down in normal time before the ball never crossed the line forcing it to 2-2 and extra time,without that you were out. the two goals came in extra time,which should never have happenned!!.I can't believe the amount English people harp on about 66 who don't even know what happenned in the game!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:31 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

But you were 2-1 down in normal time before the ball never crossed the line forcing it to 2-2 and extra time,without that you were out. the two goals came in extra time,which should never have happenned!!.I can't believe the amount English people harp on about 66 who don't even know what happenned in the game!!!!
sorry retard just watch this video lmfao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYFgixkqJE
we won the fucking world cup if you can see
Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 PM
RobL

I can't believe the amount English people harp on about 66 who don't even know what happenned in the game!!!!
i cant believe the amount thick interbred welshmen that keep harping on about englands national team even on threads that are not about the england team
Old 11-06-2010, 11:50 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fair enough,I am a retard!!!but that ball never went over the line
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

.I can't believe the amount English people harp on about 66 who don't even know what happenned in the game!!!!

No English are on about '66 because we're excited for this world cup, NOW. Its YOU lot that keep dragging it up because your eyes are wet this summer.

Footage will be shown tomorrow probably but BBC showed Uruguay 1950 footage today, but I don't hear any of us talking about it, why would we? All about the present mate.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

no but the 4th defenatly did
and sorry 4 calling u a retard
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 AM
JK99

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sorry there is no way ryan giggs or brazilian ronaldo are better than cristiano ronaldo or messi.

I think giggs is excellent and possibly most decorated player but them two just dont deserve to be in a top 5 list IMO.
The real Ronaldo was as close as you got to emulating Pele, Maradona and Best etc. It's a shame the injuries he's been plagued with due to his genetic make-up. He was phenomenal at PSV, Barca and Inter. (watch the 97 CWC to see him tear Nesta a new arsehole for 90mins).

To do what he did in 2002 while carrying injuries and just recovering from a major knee injury showed the character of the man and his goals did the talking on the park.

Messi is the pretender to the throne now and if he sustains his form, he's in with a shout of being the best. Would like to see how he does in a poor side tho. Maradona single-handedly took Napoli to titles - Messi has one of the best teams in history to support him.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes smiggy i am a man u fan, im not getting wound up mate sorry if i come across like that.

Im just intrigued what people see in him.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to be honest this reminds me of the lampard gerrard debate.

Everybody and their dog says gerrard is better than lampard when its just not true.

Lampard consistently has scored 25 goals a season every year for i dont know how long, hardly had an injury has been a rock for his club.

Gerrard comes along scores 3 screamers in a season was rediculously injury prone due to growing issues, then goes off the boil, then does ok plays one outstanding game to win the champs league but hes better than the most consistent goalscoring midfielder in the league.

If a player plays for one season and scores 50 goals or a player plays for 10 seasons and scores 40 goals a season WHO IS BETTER?

because i bet most of you would go for the 50 because thats what your doing by saying these players that had short careers due to their own issues are better than the sporting professionals of today.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and once again as a man u fan i had to endure the one man team jibes, the you cant replace 40+goals a season from a midfielder.

So did cristiano not do for man utd what maradona did for napoli?

Thats what all you man u haters said constantly.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
JK99

and once again as a man u fan i had to endure the one man team jibes, the you cant replace 40+goals a season from a midfielder.

So did cristiano not do for man utd what maradona did for napoli?

Thats what all you man u haters said constantly.
No, because Napoli werent already established as year-in title contenders when he went there.

If Messi went to West Ham and they won the league twice it'd be similar
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Im a United supporter but i agree with that. Maradonna was a freak with skill levels Ronaldo can only dream of. Best was a far better player also than Ronaldo. Problem is the younger you are you think the best thats around now must be best altime, THEY AINT.
In my time the best ive seen are Pele, Best, Maradonna & Cruyff. Probably pick Cruyff as my personal favourite, pure pure class.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by johnandhissaffy
no but the 4th defenatly did
and sorry 4 calling u a retard
Don't worry,I am a retard!!!!I think the way he hit the fourth if there wasn't a net it would have ended up in the Thames!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to be honest this reminds me of the lampard gerrard debate.

Everybody and their dog says gerrard is better than lampard when its just not true.

Lampard consistently has scored 25 goals a season every year for i dont know how long, hardly had an injury has been a rock for his club.

About the only thing I agree with that you've said!!!lamps is a top player,love it when he gets into that area just outside the box cos you know he'll shoot!gerrards awesome too but they just don't suit each other as their the same type of player in the national side,still good luck to England today,although I don't think it'll be the walkover the press are predicting,I feel a high scoring draw maybe on the cards?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

and neither did any of yours in qualifying for this tournament so heres a big

cheers paul

england til i die
Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

just to say maradonna is simply in the top 5 best players the world will ever see not seen , people are judged by what they can do and did on the biggest footballing stages and he was always there scoring goals , and basically winning the world cup for the argies , the same as pele etc etc.
we must all remember that yes players now are faster ,fitter, more healthy , etc but for ability that just comes naturally and to do what maradonna did when the game was deffo more harder (ie getting tackled) he will be a footballing legend forever

was he a cheat yes , simples

cheers paul

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 12-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadRod
Im a United supporter but i agree with that. Maradonna was a freak with skill levels Ronaldo can only dream of. Best was a far better player also than Ronaldo. Problem is the younger you are you think the best thats around now must be best altime, THEY AINT.
In my time the best ive seen are Pele, Best, Maradonna & Cruyff. Probably pick Cruyff as my personal favourite, pure pure class.
dont you think as a younger person rod some of us think the same about older people.

The older people were always better, the difference is we cant prove it either way.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

just to clarify, this is a debate not an argument.

I dont disagree wholey with what anyone has said i just think some of the older guys may be blinkered by fond memories.

I honestly believe if you had the two, Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo most managers would pick Ronaldo over the course of the two players careers.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
and neither did any of yours in qualifying for this tournament so heres a big

cheers paul

england til i die

But we did beat scotland in a friendly!!!!it's hard being welsh you know!!!!still,we do get free prescriptions and you have to pay to come into our country as well!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
johnandhissaffy
white fords look best

I dont disagree wholey with what anyone has said i just think some of the older guys may be blinkered by fond memories.

I honestly believe if you had the two, Maradona and Cristiano Ronaldo most managers would pick Ronaldo over the course of the two players careers.

well said totaly agree with you there
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
JK99

C Ronaldo wouldn't have been as effective in Maradona's day. When you see some of the abuse he took, Ronaldo would simply crumple in a heap and greet to the ref. Try and find a vid of Barcelona vs Ath Bilbao from Maradona's time there - some truly awful abuse he took.

I understand what you're saying tho, but for someone to turn a game in an instant and on the biggest stage of them all - Maradona would be my choice. He's been there and done it.

Quick Reply: Was Maradona just A CHEAT?