General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any celica bods on here?

Search this Thread

Old 23-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Bloomers
Cornish Fasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any celica bods on here?

Been offered a '93 Celica GT4 st205 for a low price, as the clutch has gone and he's set his heart on getting an estate. it's black, average miles, tidy enough with a couple bits i will sort.

questions are...

Are 205's any better to do the clutch on than the 185? i did a clutch in one years ago, and vowed never to do another

is it as easy to just drop the engine and box complete?

whats the normal price these are changing hands for at the moment? i don't trust ebay pricings, as i'm nver sure what car ACTUALLY sell for, regardless of what they are advertised at

idea is, let the missus drive it, as she looks the look of it. but if she isn't too keen, sell it on and help fund the cos restoration
Old 24-03-2010, 04:02 PM
RSTsteve
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

TB developments will help you out on this one mate
Old 24-03-2010, 05:36 PM
cpaul4
Part of the Furniture

Hi mate,

Not really anyone down south your way that deals with these cars.

I have just sold my 96 import 205 gt4 for 5k, but was regarded as a fairly high spec 350bph/300lbs and in excellent condition.

Rough ones go for between 2-3k with nice examples go for between 3-8k depending on mods etc.

How many miles is on it as the superstrut suspension needs sorting around 60-80k at around 1k to do in parts alone.

Clutch is a pain with the engine in place, but you can drop the engine out the bottem and do it easy enough.

A garage would want 500-700 for it.

Any other questions fire away.

Chris
Old 24-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Bloomers
Cornish Fasty

got a feeling the ss bushes have been done already, will have to check the history.

will probably just drop the whole lump out, then. got to be better than fucking about trying to get it out with the transfer box on aswell
Old 24-03-2010, 10:41 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bottom arms and figure of 8 links on the front suspension are cŁ500 to do in parts alone.. bit of a pain, but manageable if you're ok with tools.

If its an ST205 then I'm pretty sure it'll be a 1994> mate.. and the engines are WAY more reliable than the ST185 engines were, they've got a metal headgasket rather than the shite fitted to the 185. Plus, they run a chargecooler rather than a small top mounted intercooler on the 185.

Don't be swayed towards a WRC over a Non-WRC version... the changes to homologate the car were bullshit, nothing worked (even if activated, they're bollox) and the only differences visually are a small bonnet spoiler and the rear spoiler raiser blocks.

Cambelt/Water Pump service can be costly, but needs to be done as per schedule.

Radiators are known to pop, specially if you raise the boost, a sign for this is the top (visible) part going milky brown colour.. it should be a dark grey.

They hit fuel cut at 1.2bar of boost and have limited boost available in 1st (and 2nd think) gear so dont feel electric as standard.. more of a progressive surge than a kick in the guts when you floor it. The engine won't thank you for fitting a fuel cut defender, so don't be tempted to bang one on and wind up the boost... its likely to do a lot more harm than good.

If you fit a boost controller then you'll have to bypass this valve that limits the boost, meaning you get c1.1bar (or whatever you set it to) in every gear.. that certainly gets them off the line quickly, a friend ran a 1.6 60ft time on an almost standard ST205 with just an electronic boost controller set at c1.15bar boost on road tyres a few years back.

They're heavy fuckers, so don't expect them to enjoy being chucked around the back roads like an Impreza or EVO would do.. specially if still standard, because at this age/mileage then its likely to be a little tired.

Quite a while ago now, but here are pics of both of mine... I owned the White one twice it was so good.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 24-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Bloomers
Cornish Fasty

Cheers for the advice, bud. no worries about me tuning it up. i drove it when it came to the garage for its mot, and i'll not be swapping the cos for it. just thought it would be a good oppurtunity if the missus likes it, and if not, should be a bit of cash worth makeing in its resale

looks like a fairly done deal, i know how i'm spending my easter weekend :S