General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why Doe's this government insist on giving money away

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2010, 09:05 AM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why Doe's this government insist on giving money away

the government are giving 50 million to help in the earthquake ,why ? when this country is in the shit are we spending money we don't have helping those that would not help us i do feel for them but we all have problems ,is it because we are supposed to be coming out of a recession just in time for voting that we can afford to give 50 million away
Old 29-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all about the tactics. It's why they are giving those laptops away IMO. Tagetting the area's where their support it low and rolling them out further and further until they get the votes they need.

I have my opinions about the Earthquake and subsequent scenarios, but those are best kept to myself.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:23 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cossiejay
the government are giving 50 million to help in the earthquake ,why ? when this country is in the shit are we spending money we don't have helping those that would not help us i do feel for them but we all have problems ,is it because we are supposed to be coming out of a recession just in time for voting that we can afford to give 50 million away
Because they are in a far far far worse position that we'd ever be. Boo hoo so our economy is in a mess, these poor fuckers have lost EVERYTHING.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:28 AM
JK12

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

yeah feel for them, but we need to pay this countries debts off! did we get aid during the world wars when we were on short supplies of food???
Old 29-01-2010, 09:30 AM
eoeumc
It's ALIVE..Well sort of!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Because they are in a far far far worse position that we'd ever be. Boo hoo so our economy is in a mess, these poor fuckers have lost EVERYTHING.

Yes but if the boot was on the other foot, what help and from where, would we get in the UK?

As they sung in the song band aid done: "Thank god its them instead of you"

Yes its bad and I do feel sorry for them but these are natural disasters, what can we do about them?

And yes £50 million would greatly help us out of the slump. Give back some money to the tax payers that was wasted on the banks

Last edited by eoeumc; 29-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Serious question, I wonder what it actually costs to get such a primative country back on their feet? A large proportion of it was tin huts and tents anyway, wasn't it?

Also, Africa (being the Haitian citizens closest ancestors AFAIK) are the least contributing continent of anywhere in the world in terms of the relief efforts. I know Africa is not generally not a rich country, but you'd think they would help their own race?
Old 29-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

Charity starts at home IMO .

yes I feel sorry for them but look at the state of our country , all the people on here struggling to make ends meet.

The money should be spent on our country
Old 29-01-2010, 10:44 AM
gaz s1

imo its all about us looking big and important to the rest of the world, pathetic!!

Same principle like global warming, we are too small to make fuck all difference but we have to look big and important by tying to take the lead

Spend the 50 million on the nhs thats what i say
Old 29-01-2010, 10:53 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Britain is bankrupt, the motorways have potholes all over the place, and there ARE people here who HAVE lost everything and who in Haiti gave a crap about us??
Old 29-01-2010, 10:56 AM
eoeumc

Originally Posted by Caprigirl
Charity starts at home IMO .

yes I feel sorry for them but look at the state of our country , all the people on here struggling to make ends meet.

The money should be spent on our country
Now that hits the nail on the head.

OK, I have been un-employed since last May and I can see nothing in the pipeline, but I don't claim any benefits what so ever as I wouldn't get any anyway so I totally agree that charity allways begins at home for me atm lol
Old 29-01-2010, 11:02 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by TurboShed
Britain is bankrupt, the motorways have potholes all over the place, and there ARE people here who HAVE lost everything and who in Haiti gave a crap about us??
Yeah you're right, potholes are way worse than 200,000 people dying. Silly me.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:05 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by eoeumc
Yes but if the boot was on the other foot, what help and from where, would we get in the UK?
What has that got to do with anything?

yes its bad and I do feel sorry for them but these are natural disasters, what can we do about them?
Er, give them aid to help.

And yes £50 million would greatly help us out of the slump. Give back some money to the tax payers that was wasted on the banks
You think that £50 million would help us out of 'the slump'? Yeaaaahhh... o..k!
Old 29-01-2010, 11:08 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

2 trains of thought here

if you have the capability to help out, with thigns such as search and rescue teams etc then i don't see why there would be an issue with sending bodies and equipment over to help

if you have the spare cash to help out with funding to help out then fair enough, or you could send over some food that's sitting around, etc or send over some of the money that we normally send to help europe so that it's a european effort

option one is great
option 2 wold be great if you could do it like that
Old 29-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

If only that region had got off its arse and helped itself, then a worldwide push to assist would seem more well-spent if you ask me. They are a country that haven't evolved and are densely populated by criminals, rapists, murderers etc. Thats not me saying for one minute that they deserved what they got, surely they didn't. However, as I said before, does contributing to this countries recovery guarantee that if you visit there in years to come you'll not get mugged/raped/killed? I bet they'll still spit on your shoe if you don't chuck a few coins in the begging-pot.

There are horrible situations all over the world, whether it be famine, drought, disaster or whatever, if we go running to each and every one with handouts, it will eventually drive us down as a country.

Harsh, but so is life IMO.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:14 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Properly surprised by the callous and bizarrely selfish replies on here.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

The country is absolutely fucked. Don't be fooled by the release of data saying we're 'officially' out of recession. That's technically correct, but 0.1% is marginal. That can easily be revised back to 0 and reverse through the next quarter.

50 million is peanuts really and is really helping people, but you have to ask yourself why the government is crippling us with this CO2 farce. They have truly lost the plot in an effort to look good 'globally'.

I also think afghanistan is a waste. We should bring our troops home and beef up intelligence and domestic security.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:24 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Alan_D
50 million is peanuts really and is really helping people, but you have to ask yourself why the government is crippling us with this CO2 farce. They have truly lost the plot in an effort to look good 'globally'.

I also think afghanistan is a waste. We should bring our troops home and beef up intelligence and domestic security.
Agree 100%
Old 29-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Alan_D
Now there is something I whole-heartedly agree with. It seems that our troops are out there now purely because bringing them back would render those that have already given their lives as waste. Give it up as a bad job I say.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:29 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It is all well and good getting these people back to were they were but when there they still have fuck all and are not really the best at doing much about it, returning them to shit and squaller is not going help in the long term/

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by MikeR
It is all well and good getting these people back to were they were but when there they still have fuck all and are not really the best at doing much about it, returning them to shit and squaller is not going help in the long term/

Mike
Agreed 100%
Old 29-01-2010, 11:31 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree mate.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:37 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[quote=JohnnyB;4686707]I agree mate.[/quot

Is it or is it just a sign of how fed up people are with the state of our own country and what was once a great country?

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 11:44 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too Dan.

We have had disasters in the country on a much smaller scale, but for the people living in and around Cockermouth or Boscastle it was all very real to them and many lost everything, homes, businesses, the lot.

How would they feel if the rest of the country turned their back on them ?

Charity is always an emotive issue because there are soo many people that need something that you can never really play god and prioritise one over the other.

I would guess part of being so generous with aid and relief is so that British companies can have a hand in rebuilding the infrastructure.

This country is burdened with so many drains on resources there is no easy fix and to just blame the current government for all the countries woes is short sighted.

What did JFK say, Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country !
Old 29-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Is it or is it just a sign of how fed up people are with the state of our own country and what was once a great country?

Mike
Have you seen this? http://www.istockanalyst.com/article...icleid/3817529#

A quote:

"Standard & Poor's Ratings Services no longer classifies the United Kingdom (AAA/Negative/A-1+) among the most stable and low-risk banking systems globally due to our view of the country's weak economic environment, the reputational damage we believe has been experienced by the banking industry, and what we see as the high dependence on state-support programs of a significant proportion of the industry."

Last edited by Alan_D; 29-01-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:48 AM
cosworth726

just remember the goverment has got no money its got ours . when gordons kicked out he will walk away i am allright jack and leave us with the bill for his folly look how much hes mate tonys made
Brian ST-2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Trying to see both sides of the opinions here.

Agree on one side, if Uk is so 'poor' why are we to be seen to be giving money away.? But are we really 'poor' those poor fuckers over there are, and have to live it day in day out. The aid is to prevent people dying by giving medicine food and shelter, that's the very nature of the human race, and we as a 1st world country have to be seen to be doing our bit.

However, it does somewhat irk me that it is apparently difficult to get aid there, when you have journo's from every polpular news station on the planet pooping around in their cotton shirts and Chinos telling us ''how fucking bad it is'' They don't seem to have any problem getting those fuckers there PDQ to ram it down our throats every night. Roll your sleeves up and help you fuckers......you're there on the ground, we aint'.

Just my thinking anyway.
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by neilm

What did JFK say, Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country !
Too many people are too concerned in what they can do for every other country apart from their own though!
Old 29-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I have my opinions about the Earthquake and subsequent scenarios, but those are best kept to myself.
+ 1....me too....
Old 29-01-2010, 11:57 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

america helping is only to get a foothold in the area
they are running the show so they should do the benifiting help sort of stuff

it may sound harsh, but they didn't have the ability to bild building with the technology to survive the earthquake in the first palce, so how is going there and letting them sleep in tents going to make the problem go away?

you need some proper infrastructure there to help bild it into a properly survivable country in case of an earthquake, but if they can't afford to do it, how much is it going to cost the rest of the world to help them out?

don't see them helping rebuild afghanistan or iraq even though they say they want to
Old 29-01-2010, 12:02 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont kid yourself America has a massive foothold in the area, Puerto Rico and the USVI's are right on the door step
Old 29-01-2010, 12:09 PM
colarado red
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

£50 million = votes just like every other sweetener they have offered in the last 10yrs
Old 29-01-2010, 12:15 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Brian ST24
Agree on one side, if Uk is so 'poor' why are we to be seen to be giving money away.? But are we really 'poor' those poor fuckers over there are, and have to live it day in day out. The aid is to prevent people dying by giving medicine food and shelter, that's the very nature of the human race, and we as a 1st world country have to be seen to be doing our bit.
Course we aren't poor. We have council housing, sheltered accomodation, dole money, the NHS, state benefits, incapacity benefit, income support, child benefits, disability benefits. We have law, we have a democracy (ish), we have police and a court system, etc etc...

Even the poorest in this country are positively well off in comparison to the survivors in Haiti.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Chris69

I'm really shocked by this topic.
I feel strongly about our country going down the pan.
The big BUT is that the money is for aid, not for personal stuff its so that they can survive- how can you possibly be against that??
the people that lost there businesses and homes are suffering and being ruled by the murderers/rapists and you don't want to help???? grow up.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:28 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

silly selfish replies on here, the uk is far better of then and thats including our own problems, i bet if your family member was involved a disaster like that you would think differently, 50mill is fook all to the uk, think of the dole dossers we have supported and lazy fucks on benefits, peeps complaing aint no jobsm wak thu brum town centre for example, plenty of places advertising for vacancies, some peeps here are used to an easy life, end of
Old 29-01-2010, 12:32 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's called ignorance and naivety to what they are led to believe is right by other morons.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

U.S. GDP figures just out. 5.7% compared to our 0.1%. Lol
Old 29-01-2010, 12:34 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And that is working on the basis of ignorance and a disagreement with others views, people that have expressed views counter to yourself and DanW might well have educatedly consider both sides but are equally entitled to there view

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 12:35 PM
eoeumc

You think that £50 million would help us out of 'the slump'? Yeaaaahhh... o..k!

I agreed with someone else that it would help, I didn't say that it would get us out of it. That' a daft look upon it, £50 million is minimal to what our debt probably is, but its still £50 million to make a small dent in it!

Everyone has an opinion and that is there opinion. If someone don't like what someone else says then that is tough really. If we all had the same opinion then the world would be so boring as we would all be doing the same thing at the same time when it comes to charities (as we are talking about a charity atm). It ould either have money coming out of its ears or it would get absoloutly naff all!

Last edited by eoeumc; 29-01-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:39 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And that is working on the basis of ignorance and a disagreement with others views, people that have expressed views counter to yourself and DanW might well have educatedly consider both sides but are equally entitled to there view

Mike
Maybe so but it's clear by the lack of knowledge in the replies is that they are very uneducated answers and typical to threads where the same people spout on about the country being over ran with foreigners etc.
Old 29-01-2010, 12:43 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by john
Maybe so but it's clear by the lack of knowledge in the replies is that they are very uneducated answers and typical to threads where the same people spout on about the country being over ran with foreigners etc.
thats how it comes accross to me aswell,

Quick Reply: why Doe's this government insist on giving money away