General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why Doe's this government insist on giving money away

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2010, 02:28 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Course we aren't poor. We have council housing, sheltered accomodation, dole money, the NHS, state benefits, incapacity benefit, income support, child benefits, disability benefits. We have law, we have a democracy (ish), we have police and a court system, etc etc...

Even the poorest in this country are positively well off in comparison to the survivors in Haiti.
Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing that I mean in this Country you can have a roof over your head, food in your belly, LCD tv to watch all day with your can of Special Brew without doing a stroke of work

We can't just blame the government for the 'state' of this Country, lots of people got too greedy, decided they wanted everything without the salary to support it, this is without going into irresponsible lending, as well as all the other 'spend' the government has

Again, I do not know enough about the running of Haiti to comment and I should imagine its not pretty, but I don't begrudge a bit of aid, be it monetry value, to try to ease some suffering - I am sure not all of the people are criminals, murders and rapist

Z
Old 29-01-2010, 02:32 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

The thread, and my replies referred to the grumbling about giving Haiti 50 mill in aid. I didn't get into a debate about what's the best way to spend that money. And if I did I would be of the opinion that we need to help them to be able to help themselves. My daugher's school got involved with a 'Give a Goat' scheme in Ghana, and we donated for that, as that's the kind of charitable giving that promotes them 'helping themselves'. But in the short term money is needed in Haiti to help the crisis from getting even worse. Once people are sheltered and watered, then any cash left over should be all about sustainability/education/self help etc. There's nothing short sighted about my view, I just didn't get into that discussion.
if the money is being used to buy food, services from outside sources to help in the search and rescue, to buy tents and stuff, etc, then no ones got a problem with that

it's the dishing out for a large sum of money that's going to go into a pot that someone is going to skim from

it's like giving a junkie Ł50 to go and buy a pack of smokes and hoping that he doens't spend it on rastafarian old holbourn
Old 29-01-2010, 02:34 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing that I mean in this Country you can have a roof over your head, food in your belly, LCD tv to watch all day with your can of Special Brew without doing a stroke of work

We can't just blame the government for the 'state' of this Country, lots of people got too greedy, decided they wanted everything without the salary to support it, this is without going into irresponsible lending, as well as all the other 'spend' the government has

Again, I do not know enough about the running of Haiti to comment and I should imagine its not pretty, but I don't begrudge a bit of aid, be it monetry value, to try to ease some suffering - I am sure not all of the people are criminals, murders and rapist

Z
it's been in the news that the camps peole are going to have become havens for gangs going around doing just this sort of thing
Old 29-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Because they are in a far far far worse position that we'd ever be. Boo hoo so our economy is in a mess, these poor fuckers have lost EVERYTHING.
Well said. Can't believe how many selfish cunts there are on here! Spitting dummies out over things like this because we are in a bit of an economic mess and some fucker cant afford his plasma telly and mobile phone bill this month! They have got fuck all anyways before the quake!
Old 29-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by eoeumc
Yes but if the boot was on the other foot, what help and from where, would we get in the UK?

As they sung in the song band aid done: "Thank god its them instead of you"

Yes its bad and I do feel sorry for them but these are natural disasters, what can we do about them?

And yes Ł50 million would greatly help us out of the slump. Give back some money to the tax payers that was wasted on the banks
Load of fucking bollox mate. Think before you speak. 50 mil is fuck all its like you personally giving up 70p for haiti!
Old 29-01-2010, 03:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
if the money is being used to buy food, services from outside sources to help in the search and rescue, to buy tents and stuff, etc, then no ones got a problem with that

it's the dishing out for a large sum of money that's going to go into a pot that someone is going to skim from
I've no doubt that some money will be 'lost' but the majority of it I hope will go on direct aid. You can't not help out a desperately poor country because those in power are corrupt.
Old 29-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Alan_D
The country is absolutely fucked. Don't be fooled by the release of data saying we're 'officially' out of recession. That's technically correct, but 0.1% is marginal. That can easily be revised back to 0 and reverse through the next quarter.

50 million is peanuts really and is really helping people, but you have to ask yourself why the government is crippling us with this CO2 farce. They have truly lost the plot in an effort to look good 'globally'.

I also think afghanistan is a waste. We should bring our troops home and beef up intelligence and domestic security.
Someones been watching question time.........................
Old 29-01-2010, 03:34 PM
dojj

I've no doubt that some money will be 'lost' but the majority of it I hope will go on direct aid. You can't not help out a desperately poor country because those in power are corrupt.
so if the money was going there are financing the rebuilding costs through bricks and bricklayers...................
Old 29-01-2010, 08:58 PM
eoeumc
It's ALIVE..Well sort of!

And you really can't see what's wrong with saying that can you. *slaps forehead*

Dan what is your problem with me having an opinion? OK it might not be the same as yours and if your type of person that would hand out to any charity that you want, then so be it but don't start singleing me out because I agreed with someone else that has a very similar stance on charity than my own
Old 29-01-2010, 09:01 PM
eoeumc
It's ALIVE..Well sort of!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Load of fucking bollox mate. Think before you speak. 50 mil is fuck all its like you personally giving up 70p for haiti!
Ł50 million is Ł50 million! Sounds like a reasonable amount to me and I'm pretty damn sure that if you was to offer that to someone area for debt they wouldn't be retards and so "NO that's like you giving me a brick and telling me to build a house with it"

I thought this thread was a question and people were to answer what they thought or believed in, no for others to come and take this piss and generaly try (and I use try loosely) to make people look fools lol

Last edited by eoeumc; 29-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Ł50 million is nothing in the big scheme of things when you look at national budgets etc.

Sure we should help where we can in natural disasters.

Sadly Haiti is a shit hole that we could throw billions at and see no improvement. Its one of those many countrys that could be wiped off the face of the earth and in real terms it wouldnt matter in the big scheme of things to anyone but a few doo gooders/hippies. Sure a few people might be sad but in terms of daily life, world economy etc it just wouldnt be noticed.

Same can be said for most of africa too.

the UN and world food program etc is flawed in many ways IMO. Too many of the countrys we are trying to help just do not have a stable or non-corrupt government to facilitate a useful aid program that promotes actual development rather than dependance on aid. Many of those countrys would benefit from a invasion and "regime change". Sadly we dont invade on trying to do whats morally right but invade to preserve resources. Most of africa has nothing we want so its low priority!! Sad but true.
Old 29-01-2010, 09:35 PM
stishy
n00b

Because they are in a far far far worse position that we'd ever be. Boo hoo so our economy is in a mess, these poor fuckers have lost EVERYTHING.

not our problem, if the tables were turned would they do the same?
Old 29-01-2010, 09:57 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stishy
Would they fuck. A q for all you charity givers, how many people put there hand in there pocket for all the flood victims in this country? All the family's that lost everything. But that's bound to be different.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:01 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by stishy
Stupid logic. They're not in a position to help, we are. It's not a question of it not being our problem, it's a question of compassion, something which you clearly have no grasp of.

Would you not rescue a child from a burning building because they wouldn't be able to rescue you if the tables were turned?
Old 29-01-2010, 10:04 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Would they fuck. A q for all you charity givers, how many people put there hand in there pocket for all the flood victims in this country? All the family's that lost everything. But that's bound to be different.
How many of these people who lost 'everything' in the floods went without a roof over their head? How many had no access to water, food or medical aid?

Have you ever heard of insurance companies?
Old 29-01-2010, 10:13 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How many of these people who lost 'everything' in the floods went without a roof over their head? How many had no access to water, food or medical aid?

Have you ever heard of insurance companies?
we're getting somewhere now, so all these people who lost everything in this country should be glad that they paid there taxes and got insurance to cover them but if they didnt have the money to cover insurance as the havnt got the money to do so then fuck em cos its there own fault. Ironic statement or what? What did our goverment do for them? Fuck all.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

And so have the 1000s of homeless people in the uk . do they help them ?? NO .
Old 29-01-2010, 10:28 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

So do you know what the money will be spent on?
yes "aid" which usually implys food/medicine/emergancy services.

We should be really teaching them how to take care of themselves when this sort of thing happens, give them the right tools and knowlege so this sort of thing doen't happen again.

What happens when the next earthquake hits? we just give them another 50 million yeah?
Old 29-01-2010, 10:49 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What worries me is the amount of money that actually goes to the aid.. Stuff like comic relief etc only about 30% of the cash ever gets to the "front line" as it were, even in charity there are greedy cunts who line there own pockets
Old 30-01-2010, 07:30 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

I'm dropping out of this discussion because there's no point arguing with people who just don't get it.
Old 30-01-2010, 10:00 AM
dojj

onions are like arseholes, everyones got one

you've made your point dan and you'll just have to accept that others don't share them, and as far as being right or wrong when it comes to charity or morals, you are only going to be fighting a losing battle
Old 30-01-2010, 11:59 AM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm dropping out of this discussion because there's no point arguing with people who just don't get it.
no mate you dont get it. I'm all for getting my hand in my pocket to help over there, what i dont want is the goverment deciding that my taxes that i pay should be used. Our money, paid into our country. end off. If you choose to pay out of your pocket for them then fair play.
Old 30-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

we're getting somewhere now, so all these people who lost everything in this country should be glad that they paid there taxes and got insurance to cover them but if they didnt have the money to cover insurance as the havnt got the money to do so then fuck em cos its there own fault. Ironic statement or what? What did our goverment do for them? Fuck all.
WRONG ANSWER! The government DID pledge money to help the fools who didn't take out insurance! And dont tell me they didnt as ive had some of the money doing the work!
Old 30-01-2010, 01:41 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
WRONG ANSWER! The government DID pledge money to help the fools who didn't take out insurance! And dont tell me they didnt as ive had some of the money doing the work!
Not the wrong answer at all, how much money did the give in my area then clever cunt?
Old 30-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you see the reality of how these animals live. I'm sorry, but its the truth. I've seen a graphic video of the aftermath and the way these people loot, they just look exactly like animals, not even like humans.

If you watch a pack of lions attacking a wild boar, the circle round, then take turns to pounce on the pray and take their pound of flesh, before they just all bundle in and take whatever they can with no regard for anybody else. These Haitians are no different.

I don't remember seeing anything so horrific from the Tsunami.

I'm all for the idea of giving them the means to dig themselves out of the shit, but that doesn't translate to handouts IMO. I bet if you talk to the people our there, delivering the aid, I bet they fear for their lives. How ironic is that?
Old 30-01-2010, 02:14 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Yeah you're right, potholes are way worse than 200,000 people dying. Silly me.
i,m afraid the dying will die,the dead are dead. they send people thousands of miles to help with the rescue, but if you live here, pay your taxes and send money abroad to help others, you develop cancer and beacuse you are the wrong postcode you cant have the best treatment.so who do these people make apeals to?. this country dont give a monkeys about its own , only foreigners
Old 30-01-2010, 05:20 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no mate you dont get it. I'm all for getting my hand in my pocket to help over there, what i dont want is the goverment deciding that my taxes that i pay should be used. Our money, paid into our country. end off. If you choose to pay out of your pocket for them then fair play.

exactly, from a personal point the goverment are useless and helping people who really need it they couldn't give a shit about ( talking from years of experience ) ... but there quite happy to send millions the other way
Old 30-01-2010, 05:48 PM
rspickup
Regular Contributor

Course we aren't poor. We have council housing, sheltered accomodation, dole money, the NHS, state benefits, incapacity benefit, income support, child benefits, disability benefits. We have law, we have a democracy (ish), we have police and a court system, etc etc...

Even the poorest in this country are positively well off in comparison to the survivors in Haiti.

Well said