General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why Doe's this government insist on giving money away

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2010, 12:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's like you helping your mate out when soemthings gone wrong
if you can help fine, but if your mate then expects you to fork out from your own pocket and help out when you've got your own shit to sort out that starts to sour the relationship between the "mates"
even worse when you start giving it billy big bollcoks and flashing the cash to boost your ego when your kids are sitting at home eating raw potatoes

sounds a bit different now doesn't it
Old 29-01-2010, 12:45 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john
Maybe so but it's clear by the lack of knowledge in the replies is that they are very uneducated answers and typical to threads where the same people spout on about the country being over ran with foreigners etc.
Couldn't agree more.

Note that the replies are usually always from the least educated people who haven't ventured further than the shop at the bottom of their road in their tinpot little town to buy their copy of the Sun and bleat about how this country's "going downhill".
Old 29-01-2010, 12:45 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eoeumc
I agreed with someone else that it would help, I didn't say that it would get us out of it. That' a daft look upon it, £50 million is minimal to what our debt probably is, but its still £50 million to make a small dent in it!
And you really can't see what's wrong with saying that can you. *slaps forehead*
Old 29-01-2010, 12:48 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by john
Maybe so but it's clear by the lack of knowledge in the replies is that they are very uneducated answers and typical to threads where the same people spout on about the country being over ran with foreigners etc.
I certainly dont consider the likes of Christian un educated

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 12:51 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Couldn't agree more.

Note that the replies are usually always from the least educated people who haven't ventured further than the shop at the bottom of their road in their tinpot little town to buy their copy of the Sun and bleat about how this country's "going downhill".
Whilst l am not saying l agree entirely with everybodys view, l certainly would argue that l am well enough travelled to make a comment and 50 million will help but when the datum you are trying to get people back to is a 3rd world country it really isnt taking them to a level of self sufficientcey that would benifit them long term, for Haiti to be so close to other very developed countrys and be in the state it is prior to the earth quake is shocking, you need to try and help yourself before other help you

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

personally no i dont think we should send them money infact i dont think anyone should of.

us and the world should use money given and raised etc to send them USED jcbs, USED lorrys, new medicines, different size tents, bottled water, and send few flights full of people who want to help for free ie drs, nurses, people who wanna clear rubble etc. then its up to them what they do with it either sort themselves out and flurish or which would probably happen and not
Old 29-01-2010, 01:03 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diamonds.
personally no i dont think we should send them money infact i dont think anyone should of.

us and the world should use money given and raised etc to send them USED jcbs, USED lorrys, new medicines, different size tents, bottled water, and send few flights full of people who want to help for free ie drs, nurses, people who wanna clear rubble etc. then its up to them what they do with it either sort themselves out and flurish or which would probably happen and not

and would you expect the same should the uk have a natural disasyer like this ?
Old 29-01-2010, 01:04 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

But not helping them because somebody else should, or because they're already 'too far gone' is a very nihilistic take on the situation.

I think it's desperately tragic that people can watch the news stories on TV and see (in particular) the Haitian kids suffering, and still come out with lines like "charity begins at home".
Old 29-01-2010, 01:04 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You are assuming that we all share the same mentality and culture Ranj
Old 29-01-2010, 01:05 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Unreal.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by RANJ
and would you expect the same should the uk have a natural disasyer like this ?
i think we would have helpers yes but i think we would sort ourselves out and help ourselves.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:08 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
But not helping them because somebody else should, or because they're already 'too far gone' is a very nihilistic take on the situation.

I think it's desperately tragic that people can watch the news stories on TV and see (in particular) the Haitian kids suffering, and still come out with lines like "charity begins at home".
Dan there is a culture in places like Haiti that is not conducive to a positive stable forward thinking self helping society, yes they should be helped but this problem is also very important to allow them to be more self sufficient, the mentality of the world owes them a living is wrong, it is a cultrule difference, but none the less one that exisits atleast in the majority.

Out of interest what charitys do you give to each year?

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Unreal.
read the rest. love how people cut bits out on here lol
Old 29-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Couldn't agree more.

I don't read The Sun.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:09 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

i think we would have helpers yes but i think we would sort ourselves out and help ourselves.
to late to think when the shits hit the fan and everything around you is destroyed inc law and order.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeR
Dan there is a culture in places like Haiti that is not conducive to a positive stable forward thinking self helping society, yes they should be helped but this problem is also very important to allow them to be more self sufficient, the mentality of the world owes them a living is wrong, it is a cultrule difference, but none the less one that exisits atleast in the majority.

Mike
As Mike said, all those taking the moral high-ground. How big is your standing order to the British Red Cross or Unicef each month?
Old 29-01-2010, 01:11 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

to late to think when the shits hit the fan and everything around you is destroyed inc law and order.
How much Law and Order do you think exisits in Haiti Ranj ?

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:12 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
As Mike said, all those taking the moral high-ground. How big is your standing order to the British Red Cross or Unicef each month?
£10 to unicef
£10nspcc
£10 cancer research
and sponser a child aswell
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
I don't read The Sun.
I also said usually.

Read into that what you will.
project rs
Advanced PassionFord User

don't get me wrong feel for these people was in area when it happened and a few days rior to that a volcano also in that area was/is playing up and you haven't heard a sniff of that. 50 mill is not going to do much when 1 billion is already been given in aid so i think it would be better off at moment going to the areas of britain trying to recover after last years floods.

Last edited by project rs; 29-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:13 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

How much Law and Order do you think exisits in Haiti Ranj ?

Mike
your comparing a pretty much 3rd world country to a developed one, ? aint we all human ?
Old 29-01-2010, 01:14 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

£10 to unicef
£10nspcc
£10 cancer research
and sponser a child aswell
fair play, why these charitys though? what makes them more important then the RSPCA or RNLI or any other charity for that matter?

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

but having chq for £xxxxxx doesnt sort that out. having money but everything is fucked you cant spend it. surely its better to have a shit load of diggers to dig mass graves, clear rubble, clear streets so aid can get through. do you know what i mean. if countrys sent vans, lorrys etc then can get on with it and quicker to get them to get back on there feet. giving them a chq for so much money is probably made them richer than they were before the quake. just think there is better ways than saying heres a chq
Old 29-01-2010, 01:16 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

your comparing a pretty much 3rd world country to a developed one, ? aint we all human ?
Yes that is exactly the point it is pretty much third world for a reason, so getting them back to the state they were before the earth quake aint really doing much other then leaving them in a dump again, there is a bigger picture here a plaster on a bullet wound does not work

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:16 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

cancer research as my grand parents died from it,
nspcc - some kids deserve better then what life has dealt them
unicef- incase one day im fucked aswell
and sponser a child, just doing my part for a poor kid
Old 29-01-2010, 01:17 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

but having chq for £xxxxxx doesnt sort that out. having money but everything is fucked you cant spend it. surely its better to have a shit load of diggers to dig mass graves, clear rubble, clear streets so aid can get through. do you know what i mean. if countrys sent vans, lorrys etc then can get on with it and quicker to get them to get back on there feet. giving them a chq for so much money is probably made them richer than they were before the quake. just think there is better ways than saying heres a chq

who is paying for the logistics etc ? its not as easy as that
Old 29-01-2010, 01:19 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cancer research as my grand parents died from it,
nspcc - some kids deserve better then what life has dealt them
unicef- incase one day im fucked aswell
and sponser a child, just doing my part for a poor kid
So all emotive choices

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:21 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Dan there is a culture in places like Haiti that is not conducive to a positive stable forward thinking self helping society, yes they should be helped but this problem is also very important to allow them to be more self sufficient, the mentality of the world owes them a living is wrong, it is a culture difference, but none the less one that exisits at least in the majority.
While I appreciate, and understand the sentiment of what you're saying, the reality is that they need help. Once there is a level of stability, then any assistance should be directed at making the country more self sufficient, and no, that shouldn't be our responsibility.

Maybe my view is just because I'm a parent, and I see the kids suffering and wish that they weren't. And maybe should look at the situation less emotively, but I can't.

Clearly baiting, but anyway... I give a small amount (in real terms) to the NSPCC by direct debit.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:24 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by project rs
50 mill to a entire country population of 10 mill thats 5mill per person...just think if our government was to split that 50mill between the 60mill population of uk we'd all be better of to the tune of 833,000 each... just my 2 pence worth
Maths not your strong point is it!

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 29-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

challange annaka used to do ok

but seriously i just think there are better ways than giving money. i agree it wont be straight away im sure somethings could be done straight away but if its agreed right at the start to get the ball rolling it would be there by now. i think its good that people help others im all for it but paying it off i dont think helps, it does later on but having things getting cleared, people getting food, water, shelter helps more than a chq in ya presidents bank account sitting there then think now what do we need to do. action is better. if things are shit later on then loan like we had at the end of ww2
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day, teach him how to fish and he'll feed his family for a lifetime...

we should be teaching these people how to help themselves not throwing money at them.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:26 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

While I appreciate, and understand the sentiment of what you're saying, the reality is that they need help. Once there is a level of stability, then any assistance should be directed at making the country more self sufficient, and no, that shouldn't be our responsibility.

I dont agree sorry, there is absolutely no point in returning them back to the same place as if and when something happens again they are in no better position to deal with it themselves, a slightly short sighted view l thing Dan

Maybe my view is just because I'm a parent, and I see the kids suffering and wish that they weren't. And maybe should look at the situation less emotively, but I can't.

Clearly baiting, but anyway... I give a small amount (in real terms) to the NSPCC by direct debit.
Not baiting a genuine questions, people l would think generally give to subjects that are emotive to them, as per Ranj

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:26 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

So all emotive choices

Mike
yup im a parent and my son is a very lucky boy, he dont go without, and then you see kids who have lost family. home, you aint human if you dont feel anything towards them, and if only a tenner a month makes me feel better and contributes towards them then so be it,

isnt charity about being emotive and helping others alot worse of (sod the doledossers)
Old 29-01-2010, 01:27 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by FastFordChris
we should be teaching these people how to help themselves not throwing money at them.
So do you know what the money will be spent on?
Old 29-01-2010, 01:28 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

any sort of help is going to cost
Old 29-01-2010, 01:29 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So do you know what the money will be spent on?
I would imagine alot will be skimmed of the top by a corrupt goverment and bribes given to people etc, that is the unfortunate reality of dealing in societies like this, cynical maybe realistic defiantely

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:30 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yup im a parent and my son is a very lucky boy, he dont go without, and then you see kids who have lost family. home, you aint human if you dont feel anything towards them, and if only a tenner a month makes me feel better and contributes towards them then so be it,

isnt charity about being emotive and helping others alot worse of (sod the doledossers)
All charity is emotive my point being the stimulous for you to give to those particular charitys was personal experience and exposure

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 01:37 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

dont agree sorry, there is absolutely no point in returning them back to the same place as if and when something happens again they are in no better position to deal with it themselves, a slightly short sighted view l thing Dan
The thread, and my replies referred to the grumbling about giving Haiti 50 mill in aid. I didn't get into a debate about what's the best way to spend that money. And if I did I would be of the opinion that we need to help them to be able to help themselves. My daugher's school got involved with a 'Give a Goat' scheme in Ghana, and we donated for that, as that's the kind of charitable giving that promotes them 'helping themselves'. But in the short term money is needed in Haiti to help the crisis from getting even worse. Once people are sheltered and watered, then any cash left over should be all about sustainability/education/self help etc. There's nothing short sighted about my view, I just didn't get into that discussion.
Old 29-01-2010, 01:39 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thread, and my replies referred to the grumbling about giving Haiti 50 mill in aid. I didn't get into a debate about what's the best way to spend that money. And if I did I would be of the opinion that we need to help them to be able to help themselves. My daugher's school got involved with a 'Give a Goat' scheme in Ghana, and we donated for that, as that's the kind of charitable giving that promotes them 'helping themselves'. But in the short term money is needed in Haiti to help the crisis from getting even worse. Once people are sheltered and watered, then any cash left over should be all about sustainability/education/self help etc. There's nothing short sighted about my view, I just didn't get into that discussion.
Maybe they are 2 seperate issues but fundamentally they are tied, we are talking about helping a country get back on its feet here,

Mike
Old 29-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Smiggy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I have absolutely no probelms with the UK giving aid. Yes we have problems but they are long term. Haiti's problems are immediate and require action now.

The UK like many countries will have an aid budget, this £50M will have come from that. It's not like they've took the money off of hospitals or the forces etc, although that point could be argued I suppose, but that money has been set aside for scenario's like this. It won't have any effect on anything else.

I'd hate to think we've become a country that cares little for other people.

Quick Reply: why Doe's this government insist on giving money away